Px on deck 8 vs Vx on deck 7

ghstudio

All Px cabins are on deck 8, below the potentially noisiest deck with the pool, buffet, etc on deck 9.  Strangely (to me at least) is that the Vx cabins which are identical in size but with fewer "perks" are on deck 7 which would not have noise from deck chairs, etc being moved around.  As a result, I'm thinking of "downgrading" our cabin from a P3 to a Vx (just for location) and giving up the 2 meals and laundries (don't need the bottle of liquor).

Looking for advice on this seemingly backward pricing and location....or did they add the perks and create the Px category to help them sell the less desirable deck 8. .

• Like 1

Not sure what you mean by fewer perks. All veranda plus cabins have the same benefits. If it was me, given the benefits are minimal anyway I’d go on Deck 7 every time. They created the plus category and designated Deck 8 cabins into it to try and sell these less popular locations. Only the aft veranda plus are worth the upsell in my view 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ghstudio said:

I'm thinking of "downgrading" our cabin from a P3 to a Vx (just for location) and giving up the 2 meals and laundries (don't need the bottle of liquor).

Agree.  I contemplated the P1 on Deck 7 aft that was surprisingly available on a recent booking.  These are the only Px staterooms I will consider.  Given that I adore the aft-views as much as the next person, I almost bit the bullet.  But for a whole lot less I opted for a V3 in the 607x neighborhood.  

On our previous inaugural Azamara sailing we stayed in the 608x neighborhood and found the location sufficient.  Onward is the smallest ship we have ever sailed on and we loved it.  I am normally not affected by the movement of a ship, but several nights while on board Onward in the Caribbean I encountered the pitching and rolling to the point that I felt like the ship was going to flip over.  Hoping to not be as bothered on the next sailing knowing what I could experience again.

I feel obligated to throw my 2 cents into the kerfuffle. Been on D8 several times in suites, as well as lower decks. D8 is noisy, probably more so than D6 over the theater. Plus I have the irrational fear of the pool on D9 leaking onto me during the night.  D7 is THE premier deck if you want quiet. Next, Azamara luxury: After many cruises, long, short, in between, I/we have found that the only real difference between an X3, X2, and X1 level stateroom is the price you choose to pay. The amenities are the same, the service is the same, the rooms are the same. If you get motion sickness, midship gives you no additional protection, you will barf in the center/aft/rear, which is why barf bags are put out mid ship, aft and rear.  If you hit rough weather, the front rocks just as much as the center or rear of the ship. And if you are rolling left to right/port toward starboard and back, it doesn't matter what you pay for the room, everyone will roll equally. If you don't get motion sickness, you don't need to concern yourself.  I will admit, we just got off a quickie from Lisbon to Barcelona, Deck 4 (How the mighty are laid low...) ocean view, I think immediately above a diesel shaft or motor. The room was quiet, but there was a distinct mechanical hum the moment my ear hit the pillow. It was a bit annoying, until I remembered the price I paid for the cabin, and then I fell right to sleep. Seriously, I love Azamara, we've been in every category of room they have (except Veranda Plus, which is a total waste of money.) If you have money to burn and want the large bathroom and plan on frequent dining in Aqualina or Prime C, go for it and have a great time. Just pick your cabin VERY carefully. If only the bad ones are left, swallow your pride, downgrade and sleep with the rest of us poor folks. If you want and will use the Veranda, go for it! the only difference between a V1 and a V3 will be the distance you walk to either the MDR or Windows Cafe. Same with Oceanview. As for Inside, avoid elevator areas or the laundry. Otherwise, they are all the same. Our new love is the D4 Oceanview on port intensive cruises. We save a LOT of money, and don't pay for the veranda we won't really get a chance to use.

• Like 3

We stayed on deck 8, below the pool, once. I could hear joggers on deck 10 whilst attempting to take my afternoon nap. The sound must have traveled through the steel columns. We have stayed on deck 7 since then. No noise there, except for the hard-of-hearing  neighbors who leave their 24 hour news channel on the TV 24 hours a day (I exaggerate a tad for effect.)

I might be willing to pay extra to stay in a No TVs section of the ship!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dr H said:

I feel obligated to throw my 2 cents into the kerfuffle. Been on D8 several times in suites, as well as lower decks. D8 is noisy, probably more so than D6 over the theater. Plus I have the irrational fear of the pool on D9 leaking onto me during the night.  

Not an irrational fear-: A pipe that fed the pool did spring a leak when we were in our cabin ( interior, deck 7) middle of the night!

The sound of water rushing around our cabin was disconcerting to say the least.

Then they took a few hours banging and drilling trying to fix it! 
The front desk were worse than useless, saw no reason to move us and couldn’t see why we had a problem sleeping! 
We did move after 4 hours and refused to move back!

Edited by jomf

OUCH! I think I know the front desk person you confronted - less than worthless. Invariably when I've got a problem, those folks are superb at making it right, and very quickly. One guy, however, I think his last job was either with one of the US's phone companies, or he worked in the Dept of Motor Vehicles. The guys who issue driver's licenses, etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3