Danube River Cruise

irenen

We are thinking of booking a Danube River Cruise for 2025. Trying to decide which Cruise Line to book with. Our TA has suggested Viking, Tauck and Uniworld. Does anyone have personal experience of any/all of them? I have no idea which we should book with. We have taken one previous cruise with Uniworld ( about 10 years ago) and done a few land tours with Tauck, and were very happy with both. Friends tell us Viking is also excellent. Any advice gratefully received.

Welcome Irenen first look through the headings above lots of info there check the headings of the threads some a fascinating reading and some give a day to day account of a cruise. As an Australian I’m surprised your TA did not suggest Scenic or Emerald, Aussie companies but then I’m a fan. Wherever you look will cause maybe slight confusion as each company has its pro’s and con’s. Try a website called River Cruise Adviser they have comparison charts. Enjoy your research look on it as part of your holiday not a drag. So enjoy and hopefully welcome to the river cruising fraternity.

Your TA has recommended the least crowded ships (Tauck), the most crowded (Viking), and the most polarizing decor (Uniworld). I would also suggest AMA and Scenic, to round out the luxury category. 

Pay attention to cabin size and layout, number of passengers (almost all ships are the same size, based on lock size - and they go from 130 to 190 pax, a huge difference!). The other important factor is itinerary - at first blush they may all look the same, but the details vary in ways that may be important to you. I especially like Scenic’s 10-night itineraries, which add so much detail on the same stretch of River. 

As to price, be sure to take into account the different inclusions. 

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Your TA has recommended the least crowded ships (Tauck), the most crowded (Viking), and the most polarizing decor (Uniworld). I would also suggest AMA and Scenic, to round out the luxury category.

agree - AMA and Scenic both are great choices as well.  All deliver a a comparable product, so it often comes down to your preferred itinerary and personal choices regarding decor and pax numbers. 

I think Tauck and Uniworld are close to each other, with Viking being the outlier.  Don't base your decision on price alone. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, irenen said:

Our TA has suggested Viking, Tauck and Uniworld. Does anyone have personal experience of any/all of them?

I have taken several cruises on the Danube with Viking but none with the other two you mention ( have also cruised with Scenic).

Viking's website lists seven Danube cruises form 8 to 23 days in duration, plus two Christmas cruises.

I have no hesitation in recommending Viking.

However, you should think about what you want - is it to see a particular place, are drinks an important factor, on-board bikes for loan, entertainments, do you want flights included, how about cost? I normally suggest drawing up a table (or spreadsheet) of the various lines and what they offer and deciding from that what meets your requirements best, but s you are using a travel agent tell them your priorities and ask them which matches your priorities best.

Bear in mind most people on this board are from the USA; offerings differ in different markets. Viking has offices in the USA, UK and Australia. Offers differ between the USA and UK and no doubt Australia too. In the UK Tauck prices don't include travel from UK. Viking, Scenic and others do. So check - or ask your TA to- what the price includes. 

The Danube is very popular and there are many cruise lines with routes on it so competition is fierce.

• I'm embarking in August with the Avalon Envision from Prague to Transylvania.  This will be my third with them and I love Avalon.  Mid price point, excellent staff, smaller group of travelers.  Mid level cabins are 200 SF with a wall of windows that open up all the way to make your cabin an open air balcony without loosing space for a balcony.  Food is amazing.  It's not "all inclusive" in that you only get wine and beer "free" with lunch and dinner and there is a 1 hour happy hour.  For me that is not a big deal because I don't drink that much.  They offer room service for all level cabins for all meals.  They offer lots of different excursions for every stop.  I really love that they are backed by Globus and have a great machine behind them if there are water or mechanical issues with the boat.
  •  
  • Like 1

Since others brough up AmaWaterways, I'll chime in. We are fans of Ama. Note that there is a noticeable difference between the Nuremburg to Budapest portion and the Budapest to Bucharest portion. I highly recommend the Nuremburg to Budapest portion over the other for a first time river cruise as the cities you stop in are more what you probably think of when you think of river cruising. To me the stops in the lower section through the former communist countries is a bit more interesting than fun if that makes any sense. I recommend doing it at some point, just not as a first one.

If you are considering Ama, I would throw out there to consider AmaMagna. It's a double wide and only travels on the Danube. It's an amazing ship. However, doing it first, you might be disappointed in future river ships 🙂 

We did the Grand Danube (both portions) with pre in Prague and post in Brasov/Bucharest. Review is here:

@CastleCritic went on the lower half with the Brasov/Bucharest extension also shortly after, and his review is here:

The stops were the same, and he did a more in depth daily post.

As an Australian, I looked at AMA (APT here in Aus) and Scenic - both very similar inclusions, prices etc both had the trip I wanted (Amsterdam to Budapest) with only slight differences in excursion options.

Went with Scenic in the end - the deciding factor being my end,  ie the dates suited better -  rather than any noticeable difference between them.

Was very happy with Scenic.

We've enjoyed Avalon, but regardless, when evaluating an itinerary I'd look for a few things.  How many evenings do you have in port?  I enjoyed being able to go out to dinner or after dinner drinks in town.  When the ship pulls out before dinner, you are at the mercy of whatever is happening on the ship that night for entertainment.  I would also compare excursions.  There really are differences even in the same towns.

I've taken several Avalon cruises and don't even look at other companies.  Friends who know me well are taking their ninth Avalon cruise later this month; they knew I'd love Avalon.  Avalon just has a way about them that makes me feel that I can ask for anything at all and they'll gladly deliver it.  But I rarely have to ask; it's all just there.  I'm picky, very picky ... I hate tacky stuff, scrounging, things not done as well as they could be.  I just finished Avalon's Grand France and for two weeks the only negative I came up with was that they had the same kind of (delicious) cookies out in the coffee lounge every day. Double chocolate, what's not to love? That lounge has a cold water dispenser; six flavors, sparkling or still.  Huge coffee machine that will make you anything your heart desires ... and I like my coffee just so.  The reading lights on each side of the bed are a perfect example.  Attached to the wall, they rotate 360 degrees so you can focus light right on your book.  The shower is huge for a river ship, with plenty of hot water.  Cabins have tons of storage space.  Avalon just doesn't miss a beat.  I do agree with several others, a spreadsheet with elements that are important to you is a real help.  

Wow. Seems everyone is very happy with their choices. Either river cruising generally has a high standard of service or only happy optimists do river cruising. My choices are more difficult. One thing that seems to be different is that Tauck has 4 cruise directors on board, which might make for a more personalised service and smaller excursion groups. But it is more expensive than others. Not sure if the increased price is good value. Back to my research. Any more reviews welcome.

4 hours ago, irenen said:

Wow. Seems everyone is very happy with their choices.

You've discovered a truth. If someone's happy with their first river cruise then they usually book the same cruise line for future cruises. It's a known quantity and it supplies what they want.

And those that post here tend to be passionate about that line.

Again, I suggest you decide what you want. 

6 hours ago, irenen said:

Wow. Seems everyone is very happy with their choices. Either river cruising generally has a high standard of service or only happy optimists do river cruising. My choices are more difficult. One thing that seems to be different is that Tauck has 4 cruise directors on board, which might make for a more personalised service and smaller excursion groups. But it is more expensive than others. Not sure if the increased price is good value. Back to my research. Any more reviews welcome.

4 cruise directors vs 1 is not an apples to apples comparison. I can only give you examples of Grand Circle (4) vs. Ama (1).

On GC, the entire ship was divided (equally?) amongst the 4 CDs. On board, presentations would be done as a full ship where it was led by 1 or more of the CDs. Off ship, you were divided into these 4 groups. These were you permanent groups. In my experience, these CDs led all excursions (unless we were visiting something that had their own guides), as experts on everything. These 4 groups could be 40-50 people each depending on the passenger count of the ship/sailing. Your tour size will only be smaller if people in your group choose not to do the excursion at all. 

On Ama, where there was 1 CM, they were more of a coordinator. They led any on ship talks, as well as the occasional all ship evening events (like a wine tasting), but all off ship excursions were done by local guides. There were as many guides as necessary as there were typically multiple options (up to 5?) and any walking tour usually with easy, normal, and active options. Each group had their own guide and depending on interest, multiple guides doing the same excursions. Each group is always kept small, maybe 20(?) max, but typically much smaller. Once it was just my wife & I and the guide. Also any on ship local evening presentations were done by experts brought onto the ship.

@RobInMN is correct about only having 1 CD. Avalon is the same, you have 1 CD, however depending on the number of guests wanting tours, they will bring in as many local guides as required. If there are only 4 on one tour, you get 1 guide. Most groups are kept at 15 or less, so it's easier to move through areas without having to wait for everyone to catch up, as you would in a larger group. Don't make that your main choice for choosing one.

I'm another Avalon fan, we just love how everything is just right for what we like. Casual, but still first class.

• Like 1

Viking too have one CD (the call them Programme Managers), they don't lead tours but use local guides who have the advantage of no only knowing the vicinity but speak the language and as the listening devices are efficient you don't have to cluster around the guide to hear what they are saying but can wander off and still hear.

Similar to @Daisi though I'm a Viking fan, we just love how everything is just right for what we like. Casual, but still first class.

My name has already been thrown out there as an AMA cruise,  but yeah, I've done at this point 5 cruises with AMA with another planned for next year.  As you have seen yes people basically book with one company, are happy with them and then stick with them.  One plus of AMA is that the excursions are included, no extra $$ required (Viking does have included an optional excursions for a fee).  I have seen 1 maybe 2 exceptions to this on AMA but it's the general rule.

And yes I will plug AMAMagna if you can on the Danube, size matters.

• Like 1

I am someone who is not particularly brand loyal.  We have travelled with most of the major players except Tauck (price point above what we want to spend) and Grand Circle (we live in Canada, and TICO - the travel industry council in our province - does not cover them so our TA does not sell that product).  We love Avalon - but have found that other lines may have an itinerary that just meets our needs better. For context, we leave on our 18th river cruise in less than 2 weeks. We look for itinerary, then dates, then price.  We almost always travel aquarium class.

We have found that the 2 things that make the most impact (for us, at least) are the cruise manager and the kitchen staff... neither of which you have any control over.  Our very best cruise manager EVER was on Scenic... but conversely, the worst one was also with them.  Our best food was with Uniworld in Russia - even though I had prepared my husband for a less than gourmet experience. Food is so subjective that I would never make recommendations... same with the wine list. 

Try to pick a couple of "must see/do" items and see who has them included.  Look at things like gratuities (some include them, some do not), airport transfers (most include them if you buy their air - some include them if you buy your own). size of rooms.  etc.  There are more similarities than differences IMHO - and ANY line can have situations arise that are beyond their control.

Enjoy the planning - and your cruise!!

Fran 

Franski I agree with you especially about Scenic (as I’ve only traveled with them) after all our cruises with them we’ve had fantastic cruise directors but two were I’m sorry to say a complete waste of space. Luckily the tour guides and the rest of the crew really made up for their inadequate performance.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your valuable contributions. Will continue my research between annoying interruptions like work and cooking 🙂