Live From Alaska Aboard Ms Nieuw Amsterdam - May 5-19, 2024

Posted (edited)
LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from Crew News! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Crew News was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

This begins a live thread from Alaska May 5-19, 2024.  This thread provides the opportunity for those booked, or thinking of booking Alaska, to pose questions to help in their planning.  I have just completed seven days in Alaska on the Koningsdam and will be posting information that I have gathered from that experience. The impressions and observations expressed on this thread are my own.  Those with differing comments/impressions are encouraged to contribute to better inform those following. I do not usually comment on food as it is very subjective but the hardness of the cookies will be a matter of interest.  Since all of my photographs are made in RAW format and require processing, I may not be posting them.  I will be posting links to PDF files that are easily uploaded to my website.

To those traveling on this cruise, I invite you to post photos, impressions, and observations to help build a more complete snapshot of this Alaska cruise experience.

So it begins.

image.jpeg.b5e9ff2234bdd56ae6b372390800fbc4.jpeg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 5

Surprisingly, the cookies from both the Grand Dutch Cafe and Lido Market were from the same recipe with the higher chocolate chip rate being those from the Lido.  Both cookies were difficult to break without excessive force.  Using the Rockwell standard for measuring hardness, the penetration of an indenter pf the cookies would be similar to that of mahogany wood.  Without using a softening medium, such as milk, both chocolate cookies should have come with a warning label for crown and denture wearers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

Thanks for this important research on the quality of the cookies!  I hope you find brotchen this cruise, and they are not hard like the cookies!  I need to know these things because I'll be going on my first cruise in 4.5 years later this summer.  Could you do me one small favour, please, if you find the time/opportunity?  Would you check to see if they still have the onion flatbread in the Lido at lunch?  It used to be with the breads/buns at the beginning of one of the stations.  That's a favourite of mine!  

The daily program you posted for Skagway talks about a mandatory port shuttle new?

Curious about logistics, long lines, short ride, etc.?

Thank you 

So glad to find this topic! We are doing a family cruise on the NA in August. My six year old grandson was just asking me this morning if the kids’ pool (Lido Pool) has a shallow section for him. We looked at some photos. It seems like there is an Acapulco shelf, but not a shallow end. Photos show adults in the pool with water up to their shoulders. Would appreciate it if someone would check this out for him!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Thanks for this important research on the quality of the cookies!  I hope you find brotchen this cruise, and they are not hard like the cookies!  I need to know these things because I'll be going on my first cruise in 4.5 years later this summer.  Could you do me one small favour, please, if you find the time/opportunity?  Would you check to see if they still have the onion flatbread in the Lido at lunch?  It used to be with the breads/buns at the beginning of one of the stations.  That's a favourite of mine!  

I will find out and report back.

49 minutes ago, Cruising on a Sunday afte said:

So glad to find this topic! We are doing a family cruise on the NA in August. My six year old grandson was just asking me this morning if the kids’ pool (Lido Pool) has a shallow section for him. We looked at some photos. It seems like there is an Acapulco shelf, but not a shallow end. Photos show adults in the pool with water up to their shoulders. Would appreciate it if someone would check this out for him!

I will ask for you.

• Like 1

I can report that the Lido chocolate chip cookies are nicely filled with many chocolate chips and chewy.  All is again rightt with the world.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the cookie review!  I like soft and chewy!  Enjoy your cruise!  You  were the "leader" for our first cruise in 2019. We were on the Westerdam in June and were very impressed with your knowledge!  Thank you!

Any "live from" thread that begins with a cookie review is okay in my books!  Bon Voyage - thanks for taking us with you!

• Like 2

We sailed 30 years ago on HAL AK southbound. We are going to AL next year so are thinking of adding a cruise on & are debating between HAL & Princess. So we are anxious to read your TR. Thanks for taking the time to post. We would be doing southbound again. 

I will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam following you from May 19-June 2. I’m wondering if the NBA playoff games will be shown on the ship, either in staterooms or bars.  Games are usually on TNT or ESPN. Anything you can find out about watching them on the ship would be appreciated. Go Timberwolves!

10 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I have confirmed but not yet observed that the onion flatbread is being served for lunch in the Lido Market.  Stay tuned for my personal verification.  What is a good topping for the bread?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GVcruiser said:

I will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam following you from May 19-June 2. I’m wondering if the NBA playoff games will be shown on the ship, either in staterooms or bars.  Games are usually on TNT or ESPN. Anything you can find out about watching them on the ship would be appreciated. Go Timberwolves!

ESPN and ESPN2 are featured channels on the ship TV.

3 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

We sailed 30 years ago on HAL AK southbound. We are going to AL next year so are thinking of adding a cruise on & are debating between HAL & Princess. So we are anxious to read your TR. Thanks for taking the time to post. We would be doing southbound again. 

Feel free to post questions here and I will do my best to get answers.

34 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I have confirmed but not yet observed that the onion flatbread is being served for lunch in the Lido Market.  Stay tuned for my personal verification.  What is a good topping for the bread?

Thanks!  I enjoy it with butter!  It’s cut crossways; the onion is the topping.  A little butter on the bread part and I’m in heaven!  But I enjoy good brotchen too so if you come across that in your travels, let me know!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, quilty964 said:

Thanks for the cookie review!  I like soft and chewy!  Enjoy your cruise!  You  were the "leader" for our first cruise in 2019. We were on the Westerdam in June and were very impressed with your knowledge!  Thank you!

The cookies on board have not reached the soft and chewy levels but are a substantial improvement from the Koningsdam mahogany-like cookies.

I owe any HAL knowledge I have accumulated to the CC community members who keep all of us updated with their experiences and the continuing challenge to find answers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Thanks!  I enjoy it with butter!  It’s cut crossways; the onion is the topping.  A little butter on the bread part and I’m in heaven!  But I enjoy good brotchen too so if you come across that in your travels, let me know!

Now I am intrigued to find such onion flatbread in New Mexico.  I do enjoy Indian fry bread made with green chilies'

As a former resident of Germany, brotchen with melted butter, sliced ham and cheese, or a monster bratwurst with kraut, was a major portion of my diet. Perhaps without the center split, they have been hiding in plain sight  I will pose the question to a culinary person.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

Thanks for telling us about your trip! Looking forward to reading about your experience, as I’ll be boarding NA on May 19. And so your cookie info is very timely. 😄