Live From Alaska Aboard Ms Nieuw Amsterdam - May 5-19, 2024

3 minutes ago, McGarrett5oh said:

Really well done thread Roger. Thank you. Also appreciate the photos on your website.  Is there a reason you didn’t dine at the Pinnacle Grill?

i dined twice at the Pinnacle Grill this cruise and twice on the previous cruise the last week of April.  The creme' brulee' is amazing.

• Like 1

Roger - great job on this thread.     You are a wealth of knowledge for cruise critic people that have questions.    We enjoyed meeting you at the meet and greet and hopefully our paths will cross again on a future cruise.  Safe travels to all that were on this great cruise.     
Maryell.  

• Like 2

Day 14 At Sea

The day began and ended in beautiful sunshine.

For the first time on a sea day in Alaska, I had no problem finding a Lido Market breakfast table.  The day must have been a last chance tfor my fellow passengers o try Room Service or the sun was too bright for reading.

I offered to taste and then consumed a single "Kalamata" olive from the NY Pizza just outside the automatic doors from the Deck 9 Lido Market. In spite of my extended, upturned, palm, the counter person searched for a 1-inch cube-shape ramekin to properly present my sample olive.  Against the white ramekin background, I performed a visual examination of the sample olive for size, color, and texture before conducting the promised taste test.  See my evaluation in an earlier post.

The daily cookie test was conducted with single chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, and peanut butter cookies.  Two cookies earned B+ ratings with the peanut butter cookie slipping in chew-ability to a B.

The afternoon was filled with trashing all of the accumulated promotional material, excursion purchase copies, daily programs, Mariner Society drink coupons ((good only until today), and Park West Gallery invitations.  Closet were quickly emptied and most of my luggage was soon packed while awaiting the arrival of the laundry that I turned in the previous morning. 

As I moved items into my luggage, the memory of the crew farewell shows and everyone singing, "Love in Any Language" on the last cruise days years ago returned. I'm glad that I recorded one of the shows.

To those who followed this thread, I think all questions were answered and a special thanks to those who contributed. All of the menus and daily programs have been uploaded to my website for those on Alaska cruises this season to use.

I will post photos on this thread and continue to exchange information for those interested in the coming week.

Tomorrow is a flight back home to warm temps, a stack of mail, and planning for the Rotterdam in November.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 10

10 hours ago, Crew News said:

i dined twice at the Pinnacle Grill this cruise and twice on the previous cruise the last week of April.  The creme' brulee' is amazing.

Thanks.  Would you recommend the PG over Tamarind?   Also, was there an “Orange Night/Dutch Heritage celebration on one of the formal nights? B

Welcome to Vancovuer, a grey day so far.

Thanks for all your help and a really over-the-top excellent thread. Your website is so helpful, I use it all the time and sincerely appreciate your prosfessional set-up and all the up-to-date info.  

My calendar now has your next cruise noted!

Hope your trip home is easy and quick. 

Vancouver May19

Did my regular routine except later - up to Deck 10 my adopted balcony - had my last latte in crows nest - Lido opened at 6 am packed like I have never seen before!

I have Vancouver Tour and drop off at YVR - my first flight is at 5:52pm to Seattle connect to red eye to Atlanta.

Safe Travels to all - its been a great cruise!

IMG_6369.thumb.jpeg.96f481962ae1b7e0ae997e9305deb0e7.jpeg

IMG_6376.thumb.jpeg.1978f3099946ccc48c6e08f61cc1dd49.jpegIMG_6377.thumb.jpeg.48b99e26114443f27f1005e69ee78fc6.jpegIMG_6374.thumb.jpeg.7cf4189025cb7ebd00cf791795086f5e.jpegIMG_6375.thumb.jpeg.dd64a19dfe41fc039044bb5fabc7d7d1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Thanks so much to you Roger and all the other contributors for giving all of us your impressions. I’m boarding Nieuw Amsterdam later today, so your info has been very useful. I’m definitely going to make sure to try one (or more) of those tiny brownies. 

2 hours ago, kelliebiz said:

Thanks so much to you Roger and all the other contributors for giving all of us your impressions. I’m boarding Nieuw Amsterdam later today, so your info has been very useful. I’m definitely going to make sure to try one (or more) of those tiny brownies. 

Could you let us know how the check-in and boarding goes?  Have a lovely cruise!

17 hours ago, Crew News said:

I spoke to three SHOREX reps this evening and was told that a local booking agent selects the boat/owner for the subject excursion in Seward.  The boat selected for my excursion may have just had a deal with a local burrito restaurant. 

Your choice of a private, known-provider, excursion might be a good idea.

Thank you for this information.  I think I’ll call shore excursions tomorrow.  If you have a picture of the boat with the name of the boat showing, I might be able to figure it out.  The vendor I would have booked with showed sold out for our date months ago and now they have availability.  I think HAL is using a cut rate vendor.  

53 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Could you let us know how the check-in and boarding goes?  Have a lovely cruise!

hi, it was incredibly quick! My taxi dropped me about 10:40am, I handed my suitcase off to the porters and headed upstairs. We had to wind through several lines like at an amusement park but I never even sat down. Walked through all the photo, passport, boarding pass check stations and got straight on the ship. Sitting in the Lido having beef bulgogi by 11:25am! Might be the fastest boarding I’ve experienced. 

IMG_8531.jpeg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

Thank you for this information.  I think I’ll call shore excursions tomorrow.  If you have a picture of the boat with the name of the boat showing, I might be able to figure it out.  The vendor I would have booked with showed sold out for our date months ago and now they have availability.  I think HAL is using a cut rate vendor.  

I have booked the Kenai Fjords Natinal Park tour for my Westerdam 2025 cruise and it also says Chicken Burrito

"One of Alaska's most popular wildlife and glacier cruises delivers abundant wildlife, mountains and tidewater glaciers.  Departing from Seward, this boat cruise glides past seals, whales, and puffins as you explore the rain forest coastline and tidewater glaciers and view remote Alaskan islands. Experienced and engaging captains narrate the trip, so you walk away knowing so much more about Kenai Fjords National Park and its wonders. A hot lunch is served with a southwest-style chicken burrito and tortilla chips."

I am thinking about checking into private Vendo also

Donna

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kelliebiz said:

hi, it was incredibly quick! My taxi dropped me about 10:40am, I handed my suitcase off to the porters and headed upstairs. We had to wind through several lines like at an amusement park but I never even sat down. Walked through all the photo, passport, boarding pass check stations and got straight on the ship. Sitting in the Lido having beef bulgogi by 11:25am! Might be the fastest boarding I’ve experienced. 

IMG_8531.jpeg

Great for you! We were down at Canada Place at am today and were surprised not many people were around.  Looks as if your timing was perfect! Did you get any specific instructions from HAL on when to show up for check-in? Your lunch looks excellent, too! Hope you will post a bit on this cruise or when you return home. Enjoy!!

4 hours ago, DonnyD-JJ said:

I have booked the Kenai Fjords Natinal Park tour for my Westerdam 2025 cruise and it also says Chicken Burrito

"One of Alaska's most popular wildlife and glacier cruises delivers abundant wildlife, mountains and tidewater glaciers.  Departing from Seward, this boat cruise glides past seals, whales, and puffins as you explore the rain forest coastline and tidewater glaciers and view remote Alaskan islands. Experienced and engaging captains narrate the trip, so you walk away knowing so much more about Kenai Fjords National Park and its wonders. A hot lunch is served with a southwest-style chicken burrito and tortilla chips."

I am thinking about checking into private Vendo also

Donna

Sounds like it might be Kenai Fjords Tours.  I’ve been on two of their tours—both times was served a chicken Cesar wrap/burrito.  Food wasn’t bad but the tours were still good.

I prefer Major Marine Tours though—just a better experience overall:  staff, Captain, food.  I’ve been on four tours with them—food is a deli sandwich, chips, fruit with freshly baked cookies on the way back to port.  Their boats are about the same size as Kenai Tours so if you want a small group tour you might try Seward Ocean Adventures (https://sewardoceanexcursions.com/).  Their boats hold six passengers.  Great tour and company!

13 minutes ago, DonnyD-JJ said:

@disneyochem  Which Kenai Fjords tour would be your first pick: Major Marine Tours (cheaper but more people 150-180) or Seward Ocean Excursions (more money but only 6-8 people)?

My first pick (and if you have the time) would be to go on a nine-hour Northwestern Fjord Tour.  The longer you’re on the water = the more opportunities to see wildlife!  The scenery is just fantastic!

If time is an issue, I would still look for the longest tour with a smaller boat.

A smaller boat will get you closer to the glaciers, wildlife and the coast.  The tour is also more ‘customizable’—you’ll go/stay more easily.  That personalized touch is hard to beat!

That being said, the larger boats are better if any one is prone to motion sickness.  The catamarans used are warmer, have more comfortable seating and restroom facilities!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, McGarrett5oh said:

Thanks.  Would you recommend the PG over Tamarind?   Also, was there an “Orange Night/Dutch Heritage celebration on one of the formal nights? B

I prefer the Tamarind.

There was an Orange Party on the last Dressy Night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

I will be sorting through several thousand photos in the coming days and will post a photo if I have one.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Crew News said:

I will be sorting through several thousand photos in the coming days and will post a photo if I have one.

Wow!  That’s a lot of photos.  Enjoy reviewing your cruise as you sort through the photos. 

I’ve decided to cancel the Kenai Fjords tour.  I had booked it because HAL had nothing else to offer.  We enjoyed the Kenai Fjords tour several years ago (2009) on a beautiful, clear day and we have some great pictures from that trip.  We’re only in Seward for 7 hours.  I’m sure we’ll find something to do -- out and about in Seward.

Thanks for a great report.

15 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Wow!  That’s a lot of photos.  Enjoy reviewing your cruise as you sort through the photos. 

I’ve decided to cancel the Kenai Fjords tour.  I had booked it because HAL had nothing else to offer.  We enjoyed the Kenai Fjords tour several years ago (2009) on a beautiful, clear day and we have some great pictures from that trip.  We’re only in Seward for 7 hours.  I’m sure we’ll find something to do -- out and about in Seward.

Thanks for a great report

I shoot in bursts of four photos at at a time instead of just one.

Like you, I booked the subject excursion as it was one of a few available.  I'm sure I got some good shots but the Pacific Ocean is not so friendly in early May. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

We’re only in Seward for 7 hours.  I’m sure we’ll find something to do -- out and about in Seward.

I hope I have the time to go to Ukanuzit thrift store. 

11 hours ago, SightCRR said:

I hope I have the time to go to Ukanuzit thrift store. 

The website says it is closed on Sunday.  Otherwise, I would be sure to check it out!  

5 hours ago, booksfan said:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone noticed if the Nieuw Amsterdam has oat milk available for lattes?

Hub was getting almond milk for his lattes.  I believe they had oat milk as well but did not order there myself.

• Like 1