Princess Premier “sold out?”

We are leaving for our cruise in two weeks and when I tried to upgrade from Princess Plus to Premier, the agent said they were sold out.  Has anyone ever heard of this? Wondering if I should pursue further.  Thanks!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lindy Sue said:

We are leaving for our cruise in two weeks and when I tried to upgrade from Princess Plus to Premier, the agent said they were sold out.  Has anyone ever heard of this? Wondering if I should pursue further.  Thanks!

As soon as you walk on board, there will be a stand set up very close to the gangway with a very helpful crew member who will be happy to do the upgrade for you. You can use OBC if you have any, and the upgrade goes live instantly.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lindy Sue said:

As others have said, maybe you can upgrade once onboard.  
However, the premier package includes specialty dining.  I imagine once all times slots are filled, they really can’t sell more of the premiere packages than there is space in the specialty restaurants without having to issue some OBC to compensate for no availability.  
Maybe if they opened the specialty resultants at lunch time, they could sell more premier packages?  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

They often sell out of upgrade packages.  No point in stressing over it.  Ask on board. 

Thanks. Not a huge deal breaker, just thought it strange.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

As soon as you walk on board, there will be a stand set up very close to the gangway with a very helpful crew member who will be happy to do the upgrade for you. You can use OBC if you have any, and the upgrade goes live instantly.

Thank you for the information and advice!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

As others have said, maybe you can upgrade once onboard.  
However, the premier package includes specialty dining.  I imagine once all times slots are filled, they really can’t sell more of the premiere packages than there is space in the specialty restaurants without having to issue some OBC to compensate for no availability.  
Maybe if they opened the specialty resultants at lunch time, they could sell more premier packages?  

That makes sense. Hadn’t thought about the specialty restaurant part. They must hold some, because I see I can still book (limited time slots) for the specialties.

• Like 1

Just now, Lindy Sue said:

That makes sense. Hadn’t thought about the specialty restaurant part. They must hold some, because I see I can still book (limited time slots) for the specialties.

The issue of how to handle all the Premiers and their two allotted SD slots is a mystery. The idea of the Premier slots being "sold out" is a possibility I suppose, but the general consensus here on CC is that Princess hold a lot of SD restaurant slots (possibly up to 40-50%) back from on-line pre-booking to make them available for walk ups, and I would expect that those slots would be converted to use for last minute Premier bookers as well.

• Like 1

Our TA was able to get the upgrade through.  It's just not showing on the App on my phone yet.  and we received our medallions today. I'm assuming that will all be updated prior to embarkation. Any thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Lindy Sue said:

Our TA was able to get the upgrade through.  It's just not showing on the App on my phone yet.  and we received our medallions today. I'm assuming that will all be updated prior to embarkation. Any thoughts?

Check your Travel Summary online. If your agent got the upgrade done it should show there. If it's there, print out the Travel Summary as proof and take it with you "just in case".

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

Check your Travel Summary online. If your agent got the upgrade done it should show there. If it's there, print out the Travel Summary as proof and take it with you "just in case".

Thanks. I have done that.  I am trying to figure out how to book the Specialty Dining now.

41 minutes ago, Lindy Sue said:

Thanks. I have done that.  I am trying to figure out how to book the Specialty Dining now.

I did it online, when I got to the place of finalizing the reservation there was a check box to use one of your ‘free” reservations.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

You can buy onboard.  They sell to everyone who wants it. Packages never sell out as long as there is a customer who wants it.

This is not true.  We were denied an upgrade on a short 5 day cruise when we attempted to upgrade.   We were told too many people had the package and they could not accommodate the specialty dining.  Maybe they have made other arrangements recently, but it didn't work for us.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1