Casual dining options with different packages

We just returned from a 16 day cruise on the Ruby Princes-Hawaii from Vancouver RT. Part our group purchased the top Package while others bought the standard $15 a day package. Both included at least two "casual dining options per person. Is it just me or are others having a difficult time finding "casual dining options that are usuable? (especially since Alfredo's has been taken off many ship. IMHO Salty Dog is not worth the time.

• Like 1

Every ship has a few. If you don’t like Salty Dog and I don’t like it either. We usually do some meals at Vines. But on most Grand Class ships that is it. More options on Royal class. Personally we take the plus package for drinks, WiFi and tips. The casual dining for us is just an extra we may or may not need.  Mostly it is the drinks that saves us money 

Casual Dining on Discovery includes Ocean Terrace (Sushi), O'Malley's (new) and Gigi's Pizza. Gigi's is open every day from 11am - 9:00pm - Ocean Terrace is open for lunch on Sea Days only and dinner from 5:00pm - 9:00pm - Salty Dog Gastropub (now O'Malley's) was open in the evening for dinner but open on Sea Days as The Crab Shack and never at lunch. I'm told O'malley's will be the same. 

• Like 1

Ruby has two casual dining locations, that's all. Salty Dog Gastropub in the Wheelhouse Bar and Vines Wine Bar which has cold veggies and meats. I was on the Ruby b2b this spring. Tried the Gastropub. It's fine, fit my expectations and not too filling especially when you are on board a long time. I enjoyed the cream soup with sun dried tomatoes.  I did not try Vines, not something I would enjoy. The Ruby never had an Alfredo's. Alfredo's (Gigi's) is on every Royal Class ship except the Majestic, the new Sun and on the Grand and Sapphire. There is also a pop up Alfredo's on the Coral. It has not been removed from any ship. 

9 hours ago, skynight said:

Ruby has two casual dining locations, that's all. Salty Dog Gastropub in the Wheelhouse Bar and Vines Wine Bar which has cold veggies and meats. I was on the Ruby b2b this spring. Tried the Gastropub. It's fine, fit my expectations and not too filling especially when you are on board a long time. I enjoyed the cream soup with sun dried tomatoes.  I did not try Vines, not something I would enjoy. The Ruby never had an Alfredo's. Alfredo's (Gigi's) is on every Royal Class ship except the Majestic, the new Sun and on the Grand and Sapphire. There is also a pop up Alfredo's on the Coral. It has not been removed from any ship. 

Just now, triple7tahoe said:

We were with another couple that had premier package with unlimited casual meals. The one night we went to Salty Dog with them was a total "goat rope-total disaster. Vines cheese board was pathetic leaving nothing for the one of us in a wheelchair since horizon court is not wheel chair friendly. Seemed like a waste-certainly not value added to package prices!

On 5/5/2024 at 7:46 PM, triple7tahoe said:

We just returned from a 16 day cruise on the Ruby Princes-Hawaii from Vancouver RT. Part our group purchased the top Package while others bought the standard $15 a day package. Both included at least two "casual dining options per person. Is it just me or are others having a difficult time finding "casual dining options that are usuable? (especially since Alfredo's has been taken off many ship. IMHO Salty Dog is not worth the time.

What ships have had Alfredo's removed? That's news to me.. thanks .

And Salty Dog Gastropub is one of my 

favorite casual venues. Go figure...

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, triple7tahoe said:

We were with another couple that had premier package with unlimited casual meals. The one night we went to Salty Dog with them was a total "goat rope-total disaster. Vines cheese board was pathetic leaving nothing for the one of us in a wheelchair since horizon court is not wheel chair friendly. Seemed like a waste-certainly not value added to package prices!

Why is Horizon Court not wheelchair friendly? That doesn’t sound good. Please share what happened with the “Goat Rope-Total Disaster”. 

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

3 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Why is Horizon Court not wheelchair friendly? That doesn’t sound good. Please share what happened with the “Goat Rope-Total Disaster”. 

We were hosting family for their first ever cruise-We are dedicated Princess folks so bragged about how much they were going to like the cruise. Unfortunately I suffered a major stroke three weeks before the cruise. Through hard work I was able join them. I was confined to a wheelchair with very limited mobility. MDR was never a problem-actually fantastic in their ability to find accessible seating. Horizon Court made it impossible for me to carry plate-DW carried the plate but not allowed to get near food. There was sign saying they would "plate food" for those that needed.-Never offered!! AS for The Salty Dog they messed up three of our orders and when they arrived  they were 30 minutes between different orders-A third was wrong when they arrived. Without notice they switched the wine myDW had ordered to a different red wine, The bar *Wheelhouse didn't have the specific wine DW ordered so they sent a different RED 😞

25 minutes ago, triple7tahoe said:

We were hosting family for their first ever cruise-We are dedicated Princess folks so bragged about how much they were going to like the cruise. Unfortunately I suffered a major stroke three weeks before the cruise. Through hard work I was able join them. I was confined to a wheelchair with very limited mobility. MDR was never a problem-actually fantastic in their ability to find accessible seating. Horizon Court made it impossible for me to carry plate-DW carried the plate but not allowed to get near food. There was sign saying they would "plate food" for those that needed.-Never offered!! AS for The Salty Dog they messed up three of our orders and when they arrived  they were 30 minutes between different orders-A third was wrong when they arrived. Without notice they switched the wine myDW had ordered to a different red wine, The bar *Wheelhouse didn't have the specific wine DW ordered so they sent a different RED 😞

I am so sorry that happened to you and I hope you are doing better. It does sound like things were totally messed up. The next time though ask someone in the Buffet if they can help you. I have had to ask before and they did help me. I know that won’t be of much help now but maybe the next cruise if you do need help. Take care.