Bedding

exlondoner

Posted (edited)

I was looking at the FAQs yesterday and noticed quite a major change. They say they change bedding once a week, more if requested. When I last looked, probably last year, it was every three days. There was a time, I  think, when they changed the sheets every day, and twice if you had had an afternoon nap, but that was a while ago. In any case, three days to a week is quite a difference. Does anybody mind? It obviously has considerable environmental benefits in water saving and detergent saving. It should save the stewards some time most days. But I wonder if any of the laundrymen have been sacked, as they will have less to do.

Finally, has anyone who has been on board actually noticed this change? It is interesting that the answer has been updated, as most of the FAQs seem unaware of the existence of QA, which I should have thought was a more major change.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Like 1

Excellent idea, giving passengers the lead on sheet changing.

I think twice a week is fine for us unless my eczema is really bad [must stay away from Quercus in the shower and the hand sanitisers] and then the butler changes the sheets every day even tho' I tell him/her it's fine.

15 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Excellent idea, giving passengers the lead on sheet changing.

Mind you, I fear with some (a very few) passengers that might only happen after a few months.

• Like 1

It raises the question of how many people change their bedding at home more than once a week.

I was recently in a high end hotel where the bedding was changed every five days and there was a card by the side of the bed which if placed on the bed was a request to have the bedding changed - did not seem to be a problem.

• Like 3

We don't have a problem with once a week. In practice ours last between six and eight days as we change them on a Thursday or Friday depending on what day the washer is going on.

We do vary our bed coverings though and use aircon when it's very hot in summer to make sure we don't sweat profusely.

On QM2 we had the thermostat down quite low overnight and didn't need to get rid of the quilts.

And we don't remember when the sheets were changed so they can't have been noticeably creased.

Some folk around here dangle sheets from balconies on summer mornings to air them. There is something in the communal rules about that but provided they don't hang over other peoples windows nobody gets too upset.

I mind.  Every 3 days is the sweet spot between the unnecessary and the necessary.  It's more special than being at home, but only 1/3 as wasteful as every day.  

• Like 2

During my collegecdays years ago I worked a chambermaid and if guests were staying a week half way thro we'd top and tail the bed sheets by pulling the sheets from the bottom of the bed to the top giving the appearance of new sheets. Still do it at home now so once week is fine by me unless it's excessively hot and sweaty at night then I strip the bed and leave the sheets in the shower or tub and they have to change them. 

• Like 1

We change our bedding once a week, along with our towels. The issue I have with white bedding and towels - and why I would never have them at home - is that they look grubbier far more quickly than anything coloured and therefore sleeping on them or drying myself with them, becomes rather unappealing. My rule of thumb for staying anywhere is that it has to feel at least as nice as being at home. I’ll see how it goes next month when we are back on QM2 and if the sheets need a change after 3 days, I’ll be requesting one. However, happy to go with the new approach for environmental reasons, as long as the option remains to have the bedding changed if it gets marked. 

• Like 2

The comparison to what you do at home is irrelevant. I think once a week is the norm home. 

A cruise is about luxury.  The feel of clean bedding is a luxury.  Once a week is not a luxury. At least twice a week is minimum. 

• Like 4