Cozumel - what's the latest? Hearing safety warnings

sushigirl53

My DD and I will be on the Wonder in August on the W. Caribbean itinerary and I'm wondering about the safety situation in Cozumel. I've been to Cozumel several times some years ago, but that was before DH passed away. Now, I am concerned about the recent safety issues and gang violence there. What are your experiences and what is RCCL saying about that area?

TIA for any information.

Local police have been "cracking down" (arresting) people with sting operations. I doubt that they have stopped everything, but apparently are trying to save the tourist dollars.  We've been there 5 times in the last year and never felt unsafe. 

• Like 1

No concerns for us above the normal, don't flash cash or wear lots of jewelry, don't lay your bag down anywhere, don't wander down any alleys, etc.  But to me, that is common sense in any place, anywhere in the world.  We were in Cozumel in November and will be there again in a few months.  Can't wait, we always enjoy that port.

We are here today (Wonder)...

I estimate that 4,000+ have gotten off the ship so far...

We are staying on as we were just here last week with MSC. Had a great visit, no concerns at all. The men and women with the uniforms, guns and dogs are there to make sure you are safe (and to make sure you do not take anything onto the ship that you should not).

• Like 2

On 5/10/2024 at 12:42 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

haven't had or heard about any problems. We were there last Nov and will be there in 3 weeks.

I assume you are unaware of local reports?

Gang related deaths have certainly increased post-Covid, including probably the recent death by the port of Puerta Maya last month.

They are generally targeted killings and not aimed at tourists. Unfortunately, just like anywhere, you can get caught in cross-fire.