POCKET KNIFE ALLOWED ??

We will be boarding Beyond next Saturday and my husband would like to take his small pocket knife (2 1/4 in long closed) , will it be allowed?

Posted (edited)

You be the judge, me, I leave mine at home or in the car. I didn’t see the “detailed list” online, I’m sure someone will link it..

from Celebrity

Weapons, Explosives or Other Dangerous Items Prohibited

A detailed list of prohibited items is located on our website(s) and incorporated by reference.

No weapon, ammunition, explosive, firework, or other item that presents a risk of harm to persons and/or property is permitted onboard. The determination regarding items constituting a risk of harm to persons and/or property is left solely to the discretion of Celebrity Cruises. Items not permitted onboard will be confiscated by the ship’s Security.

Firearms and other weapons are not allowed onboard. Guests who declare, to the ship’s personnel, the presence of a firearm or other weapon on their person or in their luggage will be given the opportunity to dispose of it prior to boarding. Guests who fail to declare the presence of a firearm or other weapon may be denied boarding or removed from the ship. Items such as dive knives must be reported to the ship’s personnel at the time of boarding. Such items may be permitted onboard but held in safe custody by the ship's Security staff when not in use ashore.

Edited by PTC DAWG

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

You be the judge, me, I leave mine at home or in the car.

from Celebrity

Weapons, Explosives or Other Dangerous Items Prohibited

A detailed list of prohibited items is located on our website(s) and incorporated by reference.

No weapon, ammunition, explosive, firework, or other item that presents a risk of harm to persons and/or property is permitted onboard. The determination regarding items constituting a risk of harm to persons and/or property is left solely to the discretion of Celebrity Cruises. Items not permitted onboard will be confiscated by the ship’s Security.

Firearms and other weapons are not allowed onboard. Guests who declare, to the ship’s personnel, the presence of a firearm or other weapon on their person or in their luggage will be given the opportunity to dispose of it prior to boarding. Guests who fail to declare the presence of a firearm or other weapon may be denied boarding or removed from the ship. Items such as dive knives must be reported to the ship’s personnel at the time of boarding. Such items may be permitted onboard but held in safe custody by the ship's Security staff when not in use ashore.

Thank you for the detailed rule…he may also decide to leave it in the car.

• Like 1

Someone posted recently that security took a small manicure scissors (part of a set) away from them at boarding.  It was kind of funny since he pointed out that steak knives are readily available onboard.  It is useful to have a knife or scissors in the cabin.  We bring a small blunt tipped scissors and have never had that confiscated.   

Just think or the penitentiary, and jails were all the prisoners are completely disarmed.  Yet knives are fashioned out common items issued and used in malevolent intent.  I trust fellow passengers with are arguably toy knives.

Not sure about knives, but I have taken a pair of child scissors, I call them “kindergarten scissors” on several cruises and I’ve never had a problem.

I’ve taken a similar pocket knife on board in my checked bag a few times in the past with no issues. Now I leave it at home. I would not take it on board in a carryon bag as that is just looking for what could be some serious trouble.

4 hours ago, Spyder2up said:

We will be boarding Beyond next Saturday and my husband would like to take his small pocket knife (2 1/4 in long closed) , will it be allowed?

I brought one a few years ago, a Swiss Army knife, small thing  (Eclipse). No problem boarding. However, while returning from our first stop/excursion it was confiscated and returned while disembarking. 

14 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Personally I'm glad they're strict about it. All it takes is one drunken temper for things to turn bad quickly with knives. What do you need one for on the ship anyway?

Don't let them know about the knives that Celebrity provides to all at each meal. 😉

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, patty1955 said:

We carry a number of odd things in a metal lunch box. One of them is a Swiss Army Knife. We've taken it on several cruises without issue.

While you may not have had any problems,that doesn't mean that it's allowed,which it isn't.

3 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Those would be a lot harder to do damage. And aren't as easily concealed.

I disagree. A serrated steak knife. Even a butter knife.  Never underestimate what some is capable of doing. 

1 minute ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

A swiss army knife is pretty easily concealed. A knife from the restaurant not so much.

Not true. 

As I said we have a lunch box that we take when we travel. It has a manicure set, thermometer for our room, a back scratcher, a corkscrew, a  bottler stopper, a swiss army knife, eating utensils, etc. Just any small thing we want for travel. We use the army knife when we buy cheese, salami, etc. to eat in our room. It's always in our checked luggage.

It honestly never occurred to me that it wouldn't be allowed on the ship. It makes some sense but I never thought about it. 

That being said, I'm still taking it.