QA Canaries 10 May Comments

exlondoner

Just now, Victoria2 said:

We have quite a few cruises booked on her and whilst she’s not our beloved QV, we wouldn’t dream of cancelling on the showing of the last couple of days. 🙂

Can I take up your ‘decrepitude' comment and link it to my bugbear, namely, the lifts. The engineering team have GOT to sort out the timing of the doors.

I sat waiting for a lift with a chap on sticks who told me he’d missed a lift as it was empty but he couldn’t  get there in time.

Considering the mobility issues onboard, this is NOT good enough Cunard!

The lifts are ridiculous. It is easy enough to miss them, if you are young and fit and they arrive at the opposite side to where you are standing. I have two quite sore arms from fighting them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not only was the Insights lecture excellent this morning ( how many speakers can hold a whole theatre in thrall as she spoke without notes for forty five minutes) but last night’s Bernie Flint, at the tender age of around seventy one, had a full theatre in fits of laughter. Wonderful, real entertainment.

• Like 1

Are they still showing Noir on this voyage in Bright Lights, or have they moved to one of the other shows? (Apparently they have three)

Just now, MylesS said:

Are they still showing Noir on this voyage in Bright Lights, or have they moved to one of the other shows? (Apparently they have three)

Noir. Sounds weird.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Windsurfboy said:

I've  heard PG is a nicer room, what do you think. 

What's the speciality dining like, is it good , how easy is it to get into, do you have to book days in advance. 

What is the grills deck like, is the service good

We are in PG and have only peeked into QG so can't give a good comparison, but the PG dining room is lovely, no banquette and loads of tables for 2 along the windows. We are so happy!

The Grills deck, as others have said, is lovely. We have been getting bar service from the nearby Cabana Bar, which we love. I haven't seen fruit on sticks or anything like that, and no one has been by to give us ice cream, but we haven't really had any hot days in the past 10 days. There is ice water.

The specialty restaurants tend to be booked up, but we were able to get into them at the times we wanted booking them the day after boarding. We would have booked in advance before we boarded but we want to use OBC, Sir Samuels doesn't have much atmosphere, but I am biased, I love the QV Verandah. The food is good. No complaints. We were at the sushi restaurant last night - fabulous food. We chose a la carte items, but they do also have a set menu ($65 each). We haven't been to the other 2.

• Like 3

Just now, MylesS said:

Still Noir

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, safarigal said:

We are in PG and have only peeked into QG so can't give a good comparison, but the PG dining room is lovely, no banquette and loads of tables for 2 along the windows. We are so happy!

The Grills deck, as others have said, is lovely. We have been getting bar service from the nearby Cabana Bar, which we love. I haven't seen fruit on sticks or anything like that, and no one has been by to give us ice cream, but we haven't really had any hot days in the past 10 days. There is ice water.

The specialty restaurants tend to be booked up, but we were able to get into them at the times we wanted booking them the day after boarding. We would have booked in advance before we boarded but we want to use OBC, Sir Samuels doesn't have much atmosphere, but I am biased, I love the QV Verandah. The food is good. No complaints. We were at the sushi restaurant last night - fabulous food. We chose a la carte items, but they do also have a set menu ($65 each). We haven't been to the other 2.

Beauty of QG. 
I too love sushi and will be ordering it as off menu as I have done frequently in the past.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, safarigal said:

Sir Samuels doesn't have much atmosphere

I agree with this 100%, I didn't know how to put it into words in my review, so thank you. The food was good, but yes, not much atmosphere.

13 minutes ago, safarigal said:

We were at the sushi restaurant last night - fabulous food. We chose a la carte items

We did the same twice on our voyage. The service in there was excellent as well. We'd definitely do it again.

• Like 3

Hi, was wondering if you could help clear up our confusion with the methodology the Maitre'd uses for table assignments in the QG.  I see V2 and Exlondoner have different opinions regarding their "luck" of table assignments.  Are assignments in QG based on:

1. Category of cabin booked

2. Date of Booking (earlier the better)

3. Loyalty status versus first time cunarder

4. Luck of the draw

5. None of the above (or anything else not mentioned)

I am booked on QA in 2026 as a first-time cruiser on Cunard.  So any insight would be appreciated.

6 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Twinnings Assam, Green, English Breakfast, and Earl Grey in the buffet. But no Darjeeling that I could see. Also I have detected Fentiman’s Ginger Beer, so far, but no ginger ale.

any decaf breakfast tea? Not for me, but The Husband prefers decaf 🤔

1 hour ago, Jerry987654321 said:

Hi, was wondering if you could help clear up our confusion with the methodology the Maitre'd uses for table assignments in the QG.  I see V2 and Exlondoner have different opinions regarding their "luck" of table assignments.  Are assignments in QG based on:

4. Luck of the draw

I am booked on QA in 2026 as a first-time cruiser on Cunard.  So any insight would be appreciated.

1. Definitely, if Q1 or Q2.

2. Booking on the first day has never worked for me.

3. Maybe, but being Diamond hasn’t helped us.

4. Who knows?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jerry987654321 said:

4. Luck of the draw

I have been told that table allocation on any ship is a "black art" known only to a few and if divulged to any passenger would result in said passengers never sailing again😄

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

1. Definitely, if Q1 or Q2.

2. Booking on the first day has never worked for me.

3. Maybe, but being Diamond hasn’t helped us.

4. Who knows?

I was told by a Maitre'd (pre-pandemic)  that 1, 2, and 3 all figure into table position

Edited by esrs
Spelling
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Then there are “other considerations”, these being private and confidential and not for broadcast or publication. 

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Predictive
  • Like 2

How is the afternoon tea in the Queens room going given a smaller room and more passengers than the other ships? 

Do they continue to pass the sandwiches and the sweets throughout the time of the tea? White gloves? easy to obtain more tea?

Have they sorted the ice dispensers in the water stations in the lido/buffet/artisan's? During the maiden voyage you'd place your glass in front of the sensor and it would keep dispensing ice even if you moved your glass away leading very quickly to a big pile of ice {very wasteful)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, safarigal said:

When you say bar service from the Cabana bar, do you mean you have to go there to get a drink? Is there no bar service on the terrace? I don't see a bar on the deck plans, but I would expect bar service. The terrace on QE is nice, with the lounge adjacent. I was in PG not long after the restart and there were no offerings of fruit or ice cream, but I wrote that off to Covid precautions. We did have bar service, however. (Priorities!)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Then there are “other considerations”, these being private and confidential and not for broadcast or publication. 

Very helpful. Not, I hope, the exchange of money.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, esrs said:

I was told by a Maitre'd (pre-pandemic)  that 1, 2, and 3 all figure into table position

We had a table for eight in the boondocks on our first cruise. Second one, we linked up with folk we’d met on that table and again, we were Q5 and they were Q1. We had a fabulous table for eight and pre Covid, we had that table every cruise, even without our Q1 friends.The M'd even jested we had our names written under the table cloth!

He knew we loved that table and for some reason, we were definitely favoured. No money changed hands and no secret handshake.

pPost Covid, we’ve gone two top and I’m sure being known to staff played a part but most definitely, cabin grade will be a factor.

A newbie in a 1 or a 2 will, I would have thought, merit a favoured position but bear in mind, there are different opinions occasionally on what position is favoured.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

We had a table for eight in the boondocks on our first cruise. Second one, we linked up with folk we’d met on that table and again, we were Q5 and they were Q1. We had a fabulous table for eight and pre Covid, we had that table every cruise, even without our Q1 friends.The M'd even jested we had our names written under the table cloth!

He knew we loved that table and for some reason, we were definitely favoured. No money changed hands and no secret handshake.

pPost Covid, we’ve gone two top and I’m sure being known to staff played a part but most definitely, cabin grade will be a factor.

A newbie in a 1 or a 2 will, I would have thought, merit a favoured position but bear in mind, there are different opinions occasionally on what position is favoured.

That’s a thought. There is possibly someone who likes those banquettes, like, perhaps, the man I heard in the Commodore Club as we crossed the Bay, who looked at the awe-inspiring 270 view of the sea, and said ,’There’s nothing to see.’

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

When you say bar service from the Cabana bar, do you mean you have to go there to get a drink? Is there no bar service on the terrace? I don't see a bar on the deck plans, but I would expect bar service. The terrace on QE is nice, with the lounge adjacent. I was in PG not long after the restart and there were no offerings of fruit or ice cream, but I wrote that off to Covid precautions. We did have bar service, however. (Priorities!)

The wait staff from the Cabana do circulate from time to time, but the bar is really close so we just pop over there to order the drinks, and then they deliver.

Warmer weather is on the way - so I will be watching out for fruit and ice cream. They did serve afternoon tea on the terrace yesterday so that's a good sign.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1