Fjords - P&O or Cunard?

I'm looking at booking a week's Fjord cruise in June 2026 for my husbands 50th. I've looked at P&O and Cunard, more edging towards Cunard as the ships are smaller and think hubby would really like to go on a Cunard ship as well as it being more geared to adults than a mix. We'd also be adding the drinks package to whatever else book so not too concerned about drink prices (have read Cunard drinks can be pricey). 

Any thoughts / suggestions / advice etc? We are well travelled but new to cruising. 

Thanks 

3 minutes ago, Surprise50th said:

I'm looking at booking a week's Fjord cruise in June 2026 for my husbands 50th. I've looked at P&O and Cunard, more edging towards Cunard as the ships are smaller and think hubby would really like to go on a Cunard ship as well as it being more geared to adults than a mix. We'd also be adding the drinks package to whatever else book so not too concerned about drink prices (have read Cunard drinks can be pricey). 

Any thoughts / suggestions / advice etc? We are well travelled but new to cruising. 

Thanks 

The ports visited make a difference. Can you tell us which ones for each cruise? 

• Like 2

Ports visited make a huge difference as to which cruise to choose.

Norway are really cracking down on the size and type of ships which can visit the dramatic inland fjords and ports such as Gerainger, Flam, Olden.  These restrictions are getting tighter each year so get there while you can.

I've read a few similar threads from US cruisers where they list the ports and many of the the so called 'fjord' cruises they are comparing go nowhere near the inland ports named above.  Some were more a coastal cruise with a short detour into a fjord for a quick look!

I've never been on Cunard, but on current ship offering P&O doesn't appeal.  The new ships are just too large for what we would enjoy and the Grand Class ships (Ventura, Azura etc) no longer appeal.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Thejuggler said:

Ports visited make a huge difference as to which cruise to choose.

Norway are really cracking down on the size and type of ships which can visit the dramatic inland fjords and ports such as Gerainger, Flam, Olden.  These restrictions are getting tighter each year so get there while you can.

I've read a few similar threads from US cruisers where they list the ports and many of the the so called 'fjord' cruises they are comparing go nowhere near the inland ports named above.  Some were more a coastal cruise with a short detour into a fjord for a quick look!

I've never been on Cunard, but on current ship offering P&O doesn't appeal.  The new ships are just too large for what we would enjoy and the Grand Class ships (Ventura, Azura etc) no longer appeal.

I would agree completely.  To really experience the Fjords you need some destinations which involve a long transit from the coast. The sail-aways from such ports can take 5 hours until they reach the sea.  At the ends of the Fjords the mountains are more dramatic, higher and closer to the ship so that you are often surrounded by mountains. This is the awesome spectacular scenery you need to see for a Fjords experience.

The ports mentioned above provide a true flavour of the Fjords.  Add Eidfjord and Andalsnes to 'proper' Fjord destinations then I'd be hoping for an itinerary which can deliver at least a couple from that list in one week. 

As mentioned before, some itineraries are basically calling at coastal towns.  I would recommend a choice based on destinations. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Surprise50th said:

I'm afraid I cannot see any 7 night offerings in June 2026 on Cunard.  Queen Anne has  14 nights departing 21 June 2026, but apart from this Queen Victoria is based in the Med, Queen Elizabeth will be in Alaska and Queen Mary 2 is on her transatlantic schedule.  Do you mean Queen Anne's departure on 29th May 2026 calling at 

Stavanger, Skjolden, Lustrafjorden (Cruise-by), Sognefjord (Cruise-by), Ålesund, Haugesund and Southampton, England, UK? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Surprise50th said:

Thanks 

If you could manage to stretch it to 2 weeks then, looking at the cruises for June 2026 shown on P&O's web site, Aurora would come into the mix; it's as small or smaller than the Cunard ships and is adults only. More expensive than the bigger P&O ships but almost certainly cheaper than Cunard. Looking at the itinerary, I'm almost tempted to book the cruise myself!

• Like 2

On 5/14/2024 at 9:44 PM, jh1809 said:

If you could manage to stretch it to 2 weeks then, looking at the cruises for June 2026 shown on P&O's web site, Aurora would come into the mix; it's as small or smaller than the Cunard ships and is adults only. More expensive than the bigger P&O ships but almost certainly cheaper than Cunard. Looking at the itinerary, I'm almost tempted to book the cruise myself!

The only thing I would add is if you were to choose Queen Anne the 10% introductory reduction ends on 4 June.  Cunard have over 70 cruises sold out through 2024 and 2025 and so as a result I would expect the price to rise from the current level by more than that 10%.

Princess go on general sale next week, 23 May 2024.  Presumably their itineraries are now available on good travel agent sites.

Good luck whatever you choose, I'm sure it will be great on any of the ships.

Its very difficult to answer a question like 'P&O or Cunard' as the answer depends very much on the individual.

I use P&O and Cunard but Cunard would always be my preference these days.

What factors will influence the decision other than size?

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, ManofTravels said:

I'm looking at the Arcadia in 2025. Ever cruise on her? 

We have cruised the Fjords on Arcadia and it was fine. It would depend on itinerary and price for us. If a straight like for like choice I would slightly favour Cunard.

• Like 2

Your question about P&O or Cunard reminded me of what a Young lady said to me while on Iona last year that she was only there because her Mother wanted to try P&O and she normally travelled Cunard with her husband where she said the service was a lot better.

And when she suggested i should try Cunard i joked they would take one look at me and say 'Nah we'll give you your money back' she replied it's not as posh as it used to be but still a lot better that P&O.

Also Flam is mentioned i first went there in 2012 and instantly fell in love with the place then went back last year and sadly has changed since my last visit more commercialized now with more shops and with the bigger ships very busy cause there is limit space for the town to expand.

The sail in is still out of this world but for me sadly the town itself has become like any town centre on a Saturday Afternoon. 

On 5/14/2024 at 7:21 PM, Surprise50th said:

Thanks 

Aged 50 I would personally suggest Iona

So many more dining, drinking, activity and entertainment choices than the smaller P and O and Cunard ships

You would be travelling outside of school holidays in June so no problems with kids

Would be a great place for a 50th and lots of extras you can add

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Aged 50 I would personally suggest Iona

So many more dining, drinking, activity and entertainment choices than the smaller P and O and Cunard ships

You would be travelling outside of school holidays in June so no problems with kids

Would be a great place for a 50th and lots of extras you can add

Keep up lad, keep up.  Queen Anne has plenty of paid restaurants if you want them and most importantly you can book once onboard and get in. No climbing ropes or escape rooms but excellent uncrowded facilities abound for adults.  High quality modern fixtures and fittings and goodness me designed by the same people who did Arvia.

Much more room at 3,000 or so guests as well no bunfight for a chair and goodness me sunbeds.

Believe it or not even Cunard has a modern ship, just trying to keep the refinement.

If you've not tried it don't judge it. 

We're on the Queen Anne for the Fjords next July, first time on Cunard.  Their launch offer and OBC was pretty decent to be fair. The only decent 7 day itinerary was in school holidays so are hoping it won't be over run with screaming rug rats🤣

• Like 1