Help me out with my plans....

Scottdalfonso

Three of us, including our 12 yo son.-Doing 2 days in Bermuda in July, a Saturday\Sunday... we have a glass bottom boat scheduled for Sunday morning.  Otherwise, it's all open... here is one of my plans, let me know if it is doable or what I can do to make it a little more realistic....

Get off Saturday morning, take the ferry to St George: Do the Caves (maybe) then Swizzle Inn and ice cream, then we  want to do Hamilton and walk around a bit, maybe grab lunch,  then Horseshoe bay, then head back to the dock.  OR we could just do St George\Hamilton on Saturday and save the beach for Sunday after the boat ride... is it too much to squeeze in to one day?  We figured we'd get all that done Saturday when we had all the time, then just stay near the port Sunday after the boat ride, do the mall and maybe bring the kid to that mini golf place near the port.  Basically we want to check out St George and the cave area,  walk around Hamilton and do Horseshoe beach at some point- what's the best bet and easiest to do transportation wise? 

Thank you for any help you may have!! This is our first time in Bermuda, we know not to try and do everything, but figured this was a nice mix of stuff without over-doing it

41 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Get off Saturday morning, take the ferry to St George: Do the Caves (maybe) then Swizzle Inn and ice cream,

I would build in some time to walk around St Georges-- frankly I consider that a lot more interesting than the caves (unless you are really into caves). Swizzle Inn doesn't open til 11 so you'll have to stagger a bit but is well worth it. 

45 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

then we  want to do Hamilton and walk around a bit, maybe grab lunch,  then Horseshoe bay, then head back to the dock. 

With Swizzle not opening til 11 you're most likely going to be headed towards a late lunch in Hamilton if you do that (they are about 20ish minutes away by taxi). The Swizzle does have decent food but its more pub grub. If you wanted something more upscale you could head over to the Rosewood Tuckers Point (they have a fabulous burger) which could be on the way back to Hamilton (it's a tiny bit off the most direct route). 

If you do spend time in Hamilton most likely you'll be arriving to Horseshoe on the back end of the day. 

49 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

OR we could just do St George\Hamilton on Saturday and save the beach for Sunday after the boat ride... is it too much to squeeze in to one day?

Was going to recommend this. It technically COULD be done in one day but its a lot of rushing around and the taxi fares will add up considerably. If you do what we talked about above and then stopped for leisurely time in Hamilton you would have the ability to take the ferry back to Dockyard for a lot less than a taxi from Hamilton to Horseshoe and then Horseshoe to Dockyard. 

This would let you slow down your day Saturday and maybe arrive into Hamilton 3-4pm and maybe catch dinner there and have lunch earlier elsewhere. 

51 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

We figured we'd get all that done Saturday when we had all the time, then just stay near the port Sunday after the boat ride, do the mall and maybe bring the kid to that mini golf place near the port.

If the glass bottom boat tour sunday is early enough you should have some time to spend an hour or two at Horseshoe (there are minibus shuttles so its easy to get back and forth) and then still have some time at Dockyard before sailing. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Get off Saturday morning, take the ferry to St George

There's no public ferry service to St. George's on Saturday and Sunday. Only NCL runs a private ferry for its passengers on those days of the week if they have a ship in port, and based on your stated schedule I suspect you're not cruising on NCL. 

Assuming I'm correct about your not being an NCL passenger you'll have to  completely rethink your plans .

You could get to St. George's via ferry to Hamilton and then a bus or taxi to St. George's, which is time consuming, or a taxi all the way from Dockyard, which is quite expensive

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

Thank you both...the caves were just something we were gonna throw in, but definitely not a deal breaker. Sounds like either way,we're ferrying over to Hamilton...then a decision on whether we want to cab it over to St George's,  or spend some time in Hamilton then hit the beach. Otherwise, we'll save the beach for the 2nd day...we don't need much beach time, it's more just to say we went than anything else. But I think we'll limit what we want to do to these few things spread over the top days so we aren't running all day to get stuff in. I have a feeling this won't be our last time to Bermuda in the next year or two from all the great stuff I hear about it. 

23 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Otherwise, we'll save the beach for the 2nd day...we don't need much beach time, it's more just to say we went than anything else.

If you aren't hard core beach folks then thats what I would do. Run around on Saturday when things are open in St Georges and Hamilton and then do the beach for a couple hours after the kayak thing on Sunday morning. Finish up walking around the Dockyard (which you can also poke around a bit at night when you get back the first day). 

• Like 1

just wanted to let you know what we did regarding swizzle in. we took the ferry to hamilton then the bus to swizzle and then tom moores jungle for about 90 minutes then back to swizzle for nachos then bus back to town.

if you like adventure and your family would like exploring a path and finding (i hope these arent spoilers) . very cool tiny caves basically on the ocean. at least one has a ramp or steps. i forget about the other. but it's unique. unsure where else you can see something like this. the one path takes you to a perfect secluded beach. other paths that go a bit more inland lead to what i call a watering hole. very cool cave /mountain type formations that go maybe 50 feet up and a small water hole down below. many more paths and many more things. if you like adventure and discover this is a MUST DO. 

getting in the caves you do have to duck and it may be slippery. wear good shoes. if you want. there are nice blue water holes to dive into or swim, so ive read. i just love things like this jungle. i also spend hours climbing all over the rocks at peggs cove in canada if you ever have been there.

you can spend much less than 90 min in the jungle and still see the caves and stuff. you can stop at the fence to the preserve. you will see what i mean when you get there. i think it's a must do and if you arent too able bodied you can def still navigate a lot of the paths.

regarding mini golf we got there when it should have opened but we stood there 30 min till another employee realized the gate was locked and the guy at the office must not have cared nor knew there were about a dozen people in line. it's a must do as well. great views of the ocean..

one totally unrelated note, if anyone ever goes to the fort in st geo there are no services..water..food. we stopped at the st regis next door and had a fantastic lunch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for this information. I was contemplating doing the same thing when we are there in July. 

We are looking at this as well as a trip to see BUEI and the Aquarium/Zoo. We have three days to explore! 🙂

Wondering if it is easier/quicker to take an early ferry to St. George's and the bus vs Hamilton. I know that the ferries run more often to Hamilton but if we do an early one to St. George's would that be better? ...and maybe return from Hamilton?

3 hours ago, minniemouse427 said:

Wondering if it is easier/quicker to take an early ferry to St. George's and the bus vs Hamilton. I know that the ferries run more often to Hamilton but if we do an early one to St. George's would that be better? ...and maybe return from Hamilton?

It will be less time overall taking the ferry from the Dockyard to St Georges. The ferry takes about 45 minutes. If you took the ferry to Hamilton and then transferred to a bus it could take double that amount of time especially if arrivals and departures don't line up. 

We usually take the ferry to St Georges over in the morning and then take taxis to work our way back going and doing what we would like to Hamilton. It's been the right balance of cost/time savings that's worked for us over the years. 

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Was it expensive? 

i didnt think so given the island and hotel we were at,  28 each  for our fish sandwiches. and yum.  included side caesar salad as well. the view was great and we needed to cool down for a while. drank all their water i think!  also if i was a beach/pool person the st regis looked great but i think they start 800 a nite for the rooms.  id rather spend 800 a nite on my cruise cabin 🙂 

also i dont know if i mentioned it but if you are at tobacco bay this is a very short walk and i havent eaten at tobacco bay nor ever been in that restaurant but it appears st regis is a bit more upscale. and maybe even cooler

xr-bdaxr-03-24-lina-lunch-menu-11673.pdf

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

It will be less time overall taking the ferry from the Dockyard to St Georges. The ferry takes about 45 minutes. If you took the ferry to Hamilton and then transferred to a bus it could take double that amount of time especially if arrivals and departures don't line up. 

We usually take the ferry to St Georges over in the morning and then take taxis to work our way back going and doing what we would like to Hamilton. It's been the right balance of cost/time savings that's worked for us over the years. 

I am envisioning a loop where we take the earliest ferry from the Royal Naval Dockyard to St. George's, check out St. George's for a bit and then take the bus towards Hamilton getting off at the Swizzle Inn. Do Tom Moore's Jungle and the Swizzle Inn, then hop on the bus and head to Hamilton and eventually ferry back to the Dockyard.

Off to put together a presentation for the family (me, dh, 22yo dd, and 18yo ds) about all the things we can do in three days while docked in Bermuda ...and the things I am recommending. 🤣

I am thinking one day we do the above, another is BUEI & Aquarium Zoo, and a third for beach time. Will throw in miniature golf at the Dockyard as well. I have one beach kid and one that wants nothing to do with it so I have to balance out beach time!

23 minutes ago, minniemouse427 said:

I am envisioning a loop where we take the earliest ferry from the Royal Naval Dockyard to St. George's, check out St. George's for a bit and then take the bus towards Hamilton getting off at the Swizzle Inn. Do Tom Moore's Jungle and the Swizzle Inn, then hop on the bus and head to Hamilton and eventually ferry back to the Dockyard.

Sounds reasonable. Keep in mind that Swizzle doesn't open til 11am from a timing perspective. 

24 minutes ago, minniemouse427 said:

about all the things we can do in three days while docked in Bermuda ...and the things I am recommending. 🤣

I am thinking one day we do the above, another is BUEI & Aquarium Zoo, and a third for beach time. Will throw in miniature golf at the Dockyard as well.

Only advice I would give is try not to overplan-- one of the charms of the island is getting a little lost or wandering around. Having some guideposts or must sees is fine-- but keep in mind that things move a little slower and it takes longer to get places than it does at home so you might not hit everything and trying can be exhausting. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

i didnt think so given the island and hotel we were at,  28 each  for our fish sandwiches. and yum.  included side caesar salad as well. the view was great and we needed to cool down for a while. drank all their water i think!  also if i was a beach/pool person the st regis looked great but i think they start 800 a nite for the rooms.  id rather spend 800 a nite on my cruise cabin 🙂 

also i dont know if i mentioned it but if you are at tobacco bay this is a very short walk and i havent eaten at tobacco bay nor ever been in that restaurant but it appears st regis is a bit more upscale. and maybe even cooler

xr-bdaxr-03-24-lina-lunch-menu-11673.pdf 176.37 kB · 0 downloads

Cost you about what I would expect. I probably would have had lunch in town at Wahoos or The Wharf. Tobacco Bay is typical beach food not what I would call a restaurant. We walk from there to town and have lunch. Next to the fort we used to stop at Blackbeard’s Hideaway which is next to the fort. There are plans to renovate that restaurant and reopen it. 

Edited by Charles4515

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, minniemouse427 said:

BUEI

BUEI is okay if you have extra time but it is pretty much educational geared to middle school and elementary school younger students. 

Edited by Charles4515

17 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Cost you about what I would expect. I probably would have had lunch in town at Wahoos or The Wharf. Tobacco Bay is typical beach food not what I would call a restaurant. We walk from there to town and have lunch. Next to the fort we used to stop at Blackbeard’s Hideaway which is next to the fort. There are plans to renovate that restaurant and reopen it. 

we had plans to eat in town but the walk from ferry to the fort was difficult and it was very hot. like 70 degrees. could never do that in summer.  unsure who owns the fort but as it's a food desert there, opening just a small stand with drinks and quick eats they would make some money.

they were setting up a special event there and was plenty of booze but i didnt see any water bottles or i would have bribed one of the workers

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

we had plans to eat in town but the walk from ferry to the fort was difficult and it was very hot. like 70 degrees. could never do that in summer.  unsure who owns the fort but as it's a food desert there, opening just a small stand with drinks and quick eats they would make some money.

The fort is owned by the government of Bermuda. There are several forts in St. George all owned by Bermuda and they are part of the World Heritage Site. Not sure that they would make any money. Both times I was there I was the only visitor. As I mentioned there was a restaurant next door which is planned to reopen. Tobacco Bay is about a 7 or 8 minute walk and the concession there is another option for drinks and food. You don’t have to walk back to the ferry. A taxi back is pretty cheap. I paid $ 8. Would be a little higher with the new fares. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Thank you all for this info!  @luckyinpa, I really appreciate that info, I had no idea about the little caves and will definitely look into that!! 

It takes research and luck to find unique things. I had a little bit of both. Here are some examples of what you could find in the jungle

20240430_115339.jpg

20240430_115916.jpg

20240430_112658.jpg

• Like 1

We will be in Bermuda on Royal Caribbean Monday/Tuesday Sept 7/8 2024 from 10am.  Which ferry is best to get to the Crystal Caves, Hamilton or St. George?  I see on the schedule the only orange ferry for us is either 11:15am on Monday or 9:30am on Tuesday.  If we just do the ferry and one bus to the caves, does it pay to buy the one day pass or just pay the $5pp each?

Do you need to reserve the caves reservation in advance?  Not sure of exact time we will get there.

And what is Tom Moore's Jungle?  is it near the caves or do you have to take another bus. 

3 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

We will be in Bermuda on Royal Caribbean Monday/Tuesday Sept 7/8 2024 from 10am.  Which ferry is best to get to the Crystal Caves, Hamilton or St. George?  I see on the schedule the only orange ferry for us is either 11:15am on Monday or 9:30am on Tuesday.  If we just do the ferry and one bus to the caves, does it pay to buy the one day pass or just pay the $5pp each?

Do you need to reserve the caves reservation in advance?  Not sure of exact time we will get there.

And what is Tom Moore's Jungle?  is it near the caves or do you have to take another bus. 

Reservations are recommended for the caves. You can take the ferry to either St. George or Hamilton. Really a matter of which is the most convienient schedule. You can wing it. You can ferry to Hamilton and ferry back from St. George. I usually wing it a lot in Bermuda. Ferry, taxi, bus whatever decide on the spur. If for sure you are going to take buses and ferries the transport pass would be convenient. Only about a dollar more than the $4.50 tokens for your plans. I don't get the pass because we prefer taxis to the busn so we do ferry and taxi combo. The pass is great if you want to hop on and off buses. For example you could also hop off at the Aquarium and Zoo going to and from the caves from Hamilton. 

Tom Moore's Jungle is a nickname for a nature reserve. It is near the caves. I walked there the Swizzle but I guess you could take a bus. 

• Thanks 1

Just wanted to thank you guys for the Tom Moores Jungle info. I had no idea, and now after a few youtube vids, it's the thing my wife REALLY wants to do. SO since the ferry to St George doesn't run when we are there, i guess a ferry to Hamilton then a bus or cab to the Swizzle inn area for a walk around the Tom Moore jungle paths, then we will head back to Hamilton for a stroll through Front street, maybe a late lunch then ferry back to the dockyard to either wander around or go back to the ship. Then the next day after we have our scheduled boat tour, we can do the horseshoe beach area, or just chill around the port and do the mini golf thing. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Just wanted to thank you guys for the Tom Moores Jungle info. I had no idea, and now after a few youtube vids, it's the thing my wife REALLY wants to do. SO since the ferry to St George doesn't run when we are there, i guess a ferry to Hamilton then a bus or cab to the Swizzle inn area for a walk around the Tom Moore jungle paths, then we will head back to Hamilton for a stroll through Front street, maybe a late lunch then ferry back to the dockyard to either wander around or go back to the ship. Then the next day after we have our scheduled boat tour, we can do the horseshoe beach area, or just chill around the port and do the mini golf thing. 

my gf was glad she never saw pics of vids as she loved the surprises at every turn.  but i figured some people on the forum would benefit from seeing the lure of the sights and still appreciate getting to them.

if you ever get to halifax canada rent a car and drive to peggys cove lighthouse. then spend hours climbing up and down the rocks next to the ocean. to me, thats fun!  im out of shape and still enjoyed the adventure of figuring out which rock i could get to next (without falling down a hole) or how to get somewhere cool to see the different angles. see how vast the amount of rocks are to climb. im a couch potato at home but on a cruise i love doing stuff like this!

image.thumb.png.84b6e7e43b81f1539fde99473df212d7.png

• Like 1

the circle is where i entered the jungle but as you can see there are many other ways to get in the jungle. the bus dropped us off at swizzle and we walked down the hill. maybe 5 minutes at most. i never walked from the crystal caves but seems very walkable especially with that apparent path at the back of the caves that heads to the jungle.

image.thumb.png.284f6124e8d37960802ece9ef5f311de.png

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

SO since the ferry to St George doesn't run when we are there, i guess a ferry to Hamilton then a bus or cab to the Swizzle inn area for a walk around the Tom Moore jungle paths, then we will head back to Hamilton for a stroll through Front street, maybe a late lunch then ferry back to the dockyard to either wander around or go back to the ship.

If you make it all the way to Swizzle do try and check out St Georges. It's far more interesting and historic than the Dockyard...its only about 10 min taxi. Would be a shame to be all the way on that side of the island and miss it. 

• Like 1