Perry Grant

I twice went to his show on Celebrity cruises.(Had to figure it out (Why do people love this guy?)) Both shows had a couple folks try to leave, he said some "not-so-nice" things, leaving those people a TINY bit embarrassed and upset. At least on of them reported his behavior to management. Of course, management did the right thing --- Nothing.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

I twice went to his show on Celebrity cruises.(Had to figure it out (Why do people love this guy?)) Both shows had a couple folks try to leave, he said some "not-so-nice" things, leaving those people a TINY bit embarrassed and upset. At least on of them reported his behavior to management. Of course, management did the right thing --- Nothing.

Again, nothing that doesn't happen in a comedy show or actually any show.

This reminds me of a story awhile ago,and I forget which cruiseline but it's not germaine to the story, where we were at a headliner show in the main theater. It's was an older gentleman singer/entertainer who of course had been on Broadway many moons ago. In between sets he would talk about his past and then also interact with the passengers. He came upon a guy in the audience who looked like he would have rather been anywhere but there,and of course he was chosen by the headliner for interaction. You can probably guess where this is going. No matter what the singer said the passenger has no interest in participating,which in turn infuriated the singer who wouldn't let it go. It was frankly embarrassing to see the singer go on for probably 10 minutes trying to get this guy to interact with him. The singer was visibly annoyed and at this point sweating. He finally left the guy only to return to him after a song set. It was something I have never witnessed before. It was obvious that the singer thought himself as so charming and friendly that he didn't understand why the passenger didn't want to intact with him.

I will concede Perry Grant isn't for everyone. But he is obviously entertaining for lots of people. As many have said his schtick is meant for a small piano bar and it's been reviewed many times when his show is moved to a larger main theater it gets lost in translation. If you don't like him,don't go. But it isn't necessary to berate people who do.  I don't go to The Quest anymore because despite always different passengers it's the same exact thing. I don't find grown men wearing a women's bra parading around the room funny anymore. But if you do,go ahead and enjoy it,it's your cruise!

Edited by kwokpot

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

I went twice too on Celebrity when he was in Michael’s Lounge. He was pretty nasty to people who left early so I stayed for the whole show. The people who he targeted didn’t seem to think it was humor. His fan club did which made it worse. The second time I only went because I was cruising with someone who liked piano bars and they wanted to go. They hated it and we walked out after 10 minutes. They also had one show in the main theater where he couldn’t get away with being nasty and it was pretty obviously not entertaining. 

Edited by Charles4515

Posted (edited)

He's the only entertainer on any cruise I've ever been on where I went every night. Yes, it's a bit repetitive, but each guest getting up to leave, or being interviewed while turning his ball on/off gets a different response or quick witted one liner. If you can't see what he is doing as humor, perhaps it's you that is the problem. Have a drink, check it out and if it's not for you, leave. Does a man sitting behind a piano making a few harmless jokes at your expense really make a difference in your life? I was the butt of a few of his jokes and I laughed just as hard as the person next to me. 

Edited by MiniChunks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MiniChunks said:

f gets a different response or quick witted one liner. If you can't see what he is doing as humor, perhaps it's you that is the problem. Have a drink, check it out and if it's not for you, leave. Does a man sitting behind a piano making a few harmless jokes

To you it is harmless because you think it is funny watching. You feel in on the joke. Perhaps it is you who is the problem? Bullies at school get off on bullying and so do their clique. To you it is harmless but the victims may not feel that way. 

We had the misfortune of booking the explorer on a sailing that he was working..We avoided him like the plague but one night as we walked past the lounge that he occupied we heard an amazing tune that someone on a sax was playing. My wife and I walked into the packed lounge and were pleased to see the female alto sax player from the rccl orchestra doing what she does so well. We got a drink and enjoyed the rest of her well appreciated set. I went over to her and thanked her profusely and asked how the powers that be booked her into the room that night. She advised me that PG was ill and she was filling in for him...I went on to kindly ask if she would do that again later in the week as we and the packed lounge really enjoyed the set..I did not know at the time that some ardent PG fans heard my conversation and i guess they were offended..I am glad that i did not go into raptures about how horrible he is as a performer and instead praised the sax player for a great set. life is good and we hope he stays in the U.K.

On 5/21/2024 at 11:36 PM, neverbeenhere said:

Perry was a Celebrity regular for a bit of time.

My only suggestions are that whether you love the show or not… smile, laugh(grimace), clap and do not leave before the performance is over. 

We usually make a point of sitting near the back of the theater just in case the entertainment sucks, so that we can sneak out without offending the performer.
But if his comedy involves offending people... hey, why worry about offending him?
🙂

1 minute ago, OldCaver said:

We usually make a point of sitting near the back of the theater just in case the entertainment sucks, so that we can sneak out without offending the performer.
But if his comedy involves offending people... hey, why worry about offending him?
🙂

He was in the piano bar every evening which was then Michaels Club. Hard to leave without him noticing. Sometimes he was in the theater one evening. Also his show then was not billed as a "comedy" show per se. 

We sailed with him performing on Celebrity many many times. Made it to two Michael's club performances, but met many fellow passengers in need on medical attention. Leaving Michael's club during his show would end with you having two posterior regions, as he would successfully rip you a brand new one. (and not in a funny way)

His following at the time accounted for less than 50 staterooms on most sailings, so I really didn't get the financial benefit to the cruise line.(He did have his super-patron ladies) Of course, there were special sailings with numerous staterooms booked for his performances. Of course, like us, he eventually moved on to Princess for a short time. (We missed those performances)