Milk Substitutes

FYI….

I thought this may be helpful to someone. I always request Almond Milk for my iced coffee but I am being told by the Princess dietary department that Almond Milk is no longer available. Also, lactose free does not mean dairy free if you have a dairy allergy 🙋🏻‍♀️

IMG_9597.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good info!  I am going to copy a portion of this letter regarding brining food onboard.  I’ve seen questions about it lately and this mirrors what we’ve been told.  Certain ports are really picky about this and while you may get away with it, they will stand behind this if you complain they’ve tossed your food you bring onboard.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Good info!  I am going to copy a portion of this letter regarding brining food onboard.  I’ve seen questions about it lately and this mirrors what we’ve been told.  Certain ports are really picky about this and while you may get away with it, they will stand behind this if you complain they’ve tossed your food you bring onboard.  

Thank you! I’ve also read the questions lately about bringing food onboard which is why I left it in my post. Hopefully this will help someone so share away. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, truffles68 said:

I had almond milk everyday for 30 days on the Majestic Princess ( AP 10 -May 9, 2024

I wonder why they are no longer carrying it? If they have stopped, then this is really recent.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

FYI….

I thought this may be helpful to someone. I always request Almond Milk for my iced coffee but I am being told by the Princess dietary department that Almond Milk is no longer available. Also, lactose free does not mean dairy free if you have a dairy allergy 🙋🏻‍♀️

IMG_9597.jpeg

This is quite unfortunate.  Maybe I will have to bring a few cartons of almond.  Rice will work OK but unfortunate they don’t have almond or oat…

• Like 1

Isn't almond milk perishable once opened?  If so, it seems odd they would say to bring a supply, then, a few sentences later, say all drink items must be non-perishable.  Not being an almond milk user, I'm pretty sure I'm missing something.  

• Like 1

They make shelf stable Almond Milk Singles.  Hopefully if you purchased these you could bring several onboard.  Once opened if you didn't use all of it you could keep it in the fridge.  My daughter leaves several at our house so she doesn't have to remember to bring Almond milk every time my granddaughter comes over. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Isn't almond milk perishable once opened?  If so, it seems odd they would say to bring a supply, then, a few sentences later, say all drink items must be non-perishable.  Not being an almond milk user, I'm pretty sure I'm missing something.  

You’re not missing anything. You’re 100% correct. 

• Thanks 1

BTW I just saw this on the Princess App under Profile -> Dining Preferences on our next cruise.  You may want to check the appropriate boxes on your App for your next cruise so they’re aware of any dietary issues you may have.

IMG_8198.thumb.jpeg.64a2e49ae0ff490b971530c1f6f19cc5.jpeg

IMG_8197.thumb.jpeg.3c760d762b62c245c8c4cbf24ec9cb2b.jpeg

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, PR-Texas said:

They make shelf stable Almond Milk Singles.  Hopefully if you purchased these you could bring several onboard.  Once opened if you didn't use all of it you could keep it in the fridge.  My daughter leaves several at our house so she doesn't have to remember to bring Almond milk every time my granddaughter comes over. 

The shelf stable singles are great if you’re driving to a port, but if you are flying, it doesn’t work so well.

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

BTW I just saw this on the Princess App under Profile -> Dining Preferences on our next cruise.  You may want to check the appropriate boxes on your App for your next cruise so they’re aware of any dietary issues you may have.

IMG_8198.thumb.jpeg.64a2e49ae0ff490b971530c1f6f19cc5.jpeg

IMG_8197.thumb.jpeg.3c760d762b62c245c8c4cbf24ec9cb2b.jpeg

Thank you. I always send an email, list it on the app, and talk to them once I arrive on the ship. Room service still sends items with what I’m allergic to in it so they told me to always call when I wanted to place an order. Now they’re telling me if I don’t have a package that I have to pay five dollars each time I call to place my order… even with food allergies. That makes sense. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We just got off the Grand this morning after 22 days, and my DW got her hot chocolate every morning with almond milk.

I hope they continue to carry it and are not just using what’s left in stock.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

FYI….

IMG_9597.jpeg

32 days last month on Sapphire and always had almond milk in lattes. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

The shelf stable singles are great if you’re driving to a port, but if you are flying, it doesn’t work so well.

I'm in the UK and have Myom oat milk pouches that are mixed with water to create oat milk. I don't know if there is an almond milk product that is similar, but I understand there are dried almond milk powders. 

It's not ideal, and I can't understand how Princess can't ensure that there are a decent choice of non-dairy UHT long life milk substitutes. I would have thought that options would be increasing in this area, not reducing.

IMG_9731.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Inconvenient, yes.  But I travel with beer in checked luggage almost every time I fly.  I do put each can in a ziplock bag but have only had one burst in >25 years.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

Inconvenient, yes.  But I travel with beer in checked luggage almost every time I fly.  I do put each can in a ziplock bag but have only had one burst in >25 years.

wow - what beer gets that honor?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

wow - what beer gets that honor?

Well, let me correct that.  It’s only when I’m flying home.  I buy something local to take back and share with friends (if I’m feeling generous).  In March, it was six cans of Naked Pig from Back 40 Brewing in Gadsden, AL.  In September, it was a mixed 6 pack of Alaskan beers picked up at the liquor store by the port in Ketchikan. I lost one of those - a dry Irish stout - on the trip home.  Fortunately the ziplock stayed intact.

My favorite beer is local to FLL.  Last Snow from Funky Buddha is a toasted coconut coffee Porter.  But it’s seasonal and hard to come by. I will stop in on my way home from Port Everglades in June and hope they have some in stock. But no flight needed.  Just a longish drive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2024 at 9:34 PM, PR-Texas said:

Thank you. The chocolate singles are my favorite.

Just to update on this: the Regal Princess at present is offering Almond, Soya and Coconut at the International Cafe and via the Ocean Now app. I haven't seen any cartons available in the Buffet, but it's a big, busy, confusing place, so I tend to avoid it!

Also interestingingly, they don't offer milk alternatives on the hot chocolate via Ocean Now. It's not really a drink I ever have, so I don't know if it would be an option if you ordered it at the IC, or if they use chocolate powder that contains milk: in the UK most chocolate powders are dairy free but not safe for allergies due to contamination risk, so maybe it's due to cross-contamination risks with the equipment or the powder?

• Thanks 2