Giovanni's at Lunch

Dh and I have lunch booked at Giovanni's on our upcoming Liberty cruise. Two questions...

1. 1.  What is the dress for lunch?  I'm assuming showing up in shorts and t-shirt isn't really appropriate?  (Or maybe it's fine for lunch)
  2. 2.  I know everyone's tastes are different but any recommendations?  DH and i don't eat meat but we do eat fish and seafood (and pasta of course 🙂).

Thanks.

Risotto or linguine usually satisfy me if I’m getting something without meat. I think shirt and shoes are all anyone expects for lunch. And a lanyard as a fashion accessory.

14 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks.  By shirt and shoes, you mean causal right?  i.e. shorts, t-shirt as long as it's not bathing suit for example?

Yes correct. Maybe a light sweater if the air conditioning is too strong.

• Thanks 1

@LuCruise
The menus are different on different ships and I haven’t sailed on Liberty so I hesitate to recommend specific dishes but they usually have a seafood pasta (with shrimp and/or clams) and sometimes a salmon puttanesca which are both good. There are also pastas with sauce only. 

Just as long as you don’t come barefoot in a dripping wet bathing suit you won’t be underdressed for lunch.

Enjoy!

31 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Dress code is casual. (As are all dining venues on board). Shorts, polo's. etc.  IMO lunch a Giovanni's is very good with a nice selection of pastas and seafood.

11 minutes ago, ScubaCat3 said:

@LuCruise
The menus are different on different ships and I haven’t sailed on Liberty so I hesitate to recommend specific dishes but they usually have a seafood pasta (with shrimp and/or clams) and sometimes a salmon puttanesca which are both good. There are also pastas with sauce only. 

Just as long as you don’t come barefoot in a dripping wet bathing suit you won’t be underdressed for lunch.

Enjoy!

Both very helpful. Thanks. 

Pasta with shrimp or seafood sounds great.

Looking forward to it. We booked it on one of their great deals a couple months ago. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Dh and I have lunch booked at Giovanni's on our upcoming Liberty cruise. Two questions...

1. 1.  What is the dress for lunch?  I'm assuming showing up in shorts and t-shirt isn't really appropriate?  (Or maybe it's fine for lunch)
  2. 2.  I know everyone's tastes are different but any recommendations?  DH and i don't eat meat but we do eat fish and seafood (and pasta of course 🙂).

Thanks.

Shorts and polos are allowed in both SR and MDR for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  If you go to your sail, there should be a sample menu for you to peruse.  By the way the menus are basically the same from ship to ship, however, there are 2 Giovanni's restaurants--one is called Giovanni's Kitchen and can't recollect the other.  I know that one has pizza on the menu.  

Edited by nelblu

19 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Shorts and polos are allowed in both SR and MDR for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  If you go to your sail, there should be a sample menu for you to peruse.  By the way the menus are basically the same from ship to ship, however, there are 2 Giovanni's restaurants--one is called Giovanni's Kitchen and can't recollect the other.  I know that one has pizza on the menu.  

Ours is listed as Giovanni's Table in the cruise planner, if that mean's anything. (No pizza in the sample menu).

Thanks for the reply.  Sounds like we'll be fine with regular day clothes.

We always eat lunch at Giovanni Table at least once on each cruise.  We were on the Liberty last August.  I think I wore shorts and a polo shirt.   Nobody was really dressed up for lunch.   I alway get the Filet, wife always gets Branzino (spelling).  Both are outstanding!!   I also always order the Seafood Linguine.  Also outstanding.  Lunch at Giovanni’s Tableis maybe the best deal on the whole ship.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

Ours is listed as Giovanni's Table in the cruise planner

Same place.  Often just referred to as Giovanni's. Sorrento is the pizza place on deck 5.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Same place.  Often just referred to as Giovanni's. Sorrento is the pizza place on deck 5.

There are two Giovannis, they are different. Giovannis Kitchen has pizza, like fancy, bring to your table pizza, nothing like Sorrento's thin, free to eat pizza. 

The one on Liberty Is Giovannis table, no Pizza. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottdalfonso said:

There are two Giovannis, they are different. Giovannis Kitchen has pizza, like fancy, bring to your table pizza, nothing like Sorrento's thin, free to eat pizza. 

I understand and thanks for clarifying.  I meant they are often referred to as Giovanni's in terms of being the same specialty restaurant. Was indicating Sorrento as being the separate complimentary pizza place - I should have been more clear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Too bad it looks like Liberty has the one without the pizza as I've seen photos of their pizza and it looks really good.  Then again, there have been mentions above of some dishes that all sound really good so it's one less decision...lol  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cruiser 5452 said:

We always eat lunch at Giovanni Table at least once on each cruise.  We were on the Liberty last August.  I think I wore shorts and a polo shirt.   Nobody was really dressed up for lunch.   I alway get the Filet, wife always gets Branzino (spelling).  Both are outstanding!!   I also always order the Seafood Linguine.  Also outstanding.  Lunch at Giovanni’s Tableis maybe the best deal on the whole ship.

Sounds great.  Wonder if we can order the fish and then some linguine on the side.  Both sounds great.  Glad we went ahead and booked it. Looking forward to trying Giovanni's Table.

2 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Sounds great.  Wonder if we can order the fish and then some linguine on the side.  Both sounds great.  Glad we went ahead and booked it. Looking forward to trying Giovanni's Table.

Yep, we booked it a few months back for lunch when there was some insanely great deal....we are also on Liberty, so looking forward to trying it out!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I understand and thanks for clarifying.  I meant they are often referred to as Giovanni's in terms of being the same specialty restaurant. Was indicating Sorrento as being the separate complimentary pizza place - I should have been more clear.

I gotcha!! and... GO BIRDS

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Absolutely. Order multiple apps and desserts🤣

Edited by nelblu
  • Thanks 1

Here is the Lunch Menu for Giovanni’s Table on Liberty of the Seas.. You can choose multiple items from every section of the menu except for the Mare & Terra section.  Like I said , maybe the best deal for Specialty Restaurants.  EnjoyIMG_0511.thumb.png.7af3cf8e879a4d92f42ae953aa3ad5ba.png

• Thanks 1

Our long time favorite specialty restaurant although have only done dinner there.

My usual order is the meat & cheese plank, carbonara, and filet. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Our long time favorite specialty restaurant although have only done dinner there.

And IMO the steak at Giovanni's rivals those at Chops, perhaps better?  Both are quite good but Giovanni's competes well.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

And IMO the steak at Giovanni's rivals those at Chops, perhaps better?  Both are quite good but Giovanni's competes well.

Have heard that many times. Never tried Chops b/c we liked GT from the start and wife is picky. I also like getting a pasta dish with my steak rather then the usual potatoes, mac n cheese, whatever (nothing against those sides of course, I just like variety and lots of food).

We're trying Giovanni's Kitchen for the 1st time a week from today. Menu works for both of us, actually even more things my wife will eat, and I want to try a pizza (probably to-go b/c I don't know how you're supposed to eat pizza in the middle of a full Italian dinner with bread, apps, entree, pasta, dessert, etc.) I can eat but there's a limit, lol.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

This is probably EXACTLY what I'll be trying when we go. I'm excited to finally try a specialty spot. ( I don't count Playmakers) 

• Like 2