Excursion Costs

Just perusing some Seabourn Cruise Excursions in Europe and they indicate $1100 for a car,driver and guide for the day.  Is this considered good value by cruisers or is it better to hire a cab locally and do your own thing?  Has anyone spent that much on a day out and was it worth it?

Not a good value.  In most European ports you can find this through third parties for a lot less.  Or with a taxi with which you can often negotiate.

It really depends on the port. Based on our experience last November, In Greece prices were crazy and $1,100 would be a bargin.  Turkey not so much. We got a luxury tricked out Mercedes van for $750 through Seabourn.

Another factor is traffic.  How much do you want to risk using another vendor and returning to the ship on time? In general were are DIY but sometimes it's not worth the risk if you're doing a full day.

Another consideration in this day and age is port cancellations.  This has always been an issue but post-covid this happens a lot more across all cruise lines.  If you book a car or excursion through Seabourn they are on the hook for a cancellation.  If you book on your own you are on the hook for any non-refundable charges. Many private operators will want full payment in advance and will not refund any amount if you cancel. So if you book excursions on your own make sure you know what the cancellation/refund policy is and be willing to take the risk based on the answer.  It is a little like hotels that give a discount for making a non-refundable booking.  You are betting that you will be there.  Many times this pays off.  Sometimes….  As Inspector Callahan (Clint Eastwood) said in a Dirty Harry movie:  Do you feel lucky? ☺️

• Like 1

Woodrowst brings up a good question. 
Does anyone know if the trip interruption/trip cancellation benefits of the Chase Sapphire card, for example, would cover non refundable charges for a tour or car in a skipped port?

Not quite on point, but we frequently use Tours by Locals.  Last year a port in Dublin was cancelled.  We got a full refund from TBL without problem.  

• Like 1

We’ve booked a few SB half-day private car + guide excursions when there weren’t satisfactory alternatives (e.g., because there weren’t excursions that interested us from SB and independent local operators). 

While the SN private car + guide excursions were pricey, we were satisfied: the guides were quite good and the cars/drivers first-rate. 

So, while this wouldn’t automatically be our first option, it’s one that can make sense in specific ports. 

11 hours ago, JPH814 said:

Not quite on point, but we frequently use Tours by Locals.  Last year a port in Dublin was cancelled.  We got a full refund from TBL without problem.  

Using TBL in Sardinia in a week. Can’t wait!

17 hours ago, JPH814 said:

The Tours By Locals cancellation policy includes port cancellation as an "unforeseeable event" warranting a refund if the tour was identified as a shore excursion on the TBL site. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not quite on point here either: we're going for a month around Northern Europe later this year. Just got an email saying that on our $US 160 half day excursion in a port in Iceland, we'll now have to pay $1.50 each to use the bathroom! Sounds like they've become very penny pinching!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NandG said:

Not quite on point here either: we're going for a month around Northern Europe later this year. Just got an email saying that on our $US 160 half day excursion in a port in Iceland, we'll now have to pay $1.50 each to use the bathroom! Sounds like they've become very penny pinching!

We got 2 emails on the same subject as my wife and I are each doing separate excursions at the same port, but both visit the ISK250 ($1.50) toilet venue. My reaction was exactly the same - penny pinching by the "ultra luxury" cruiseline that should know better. To add to it they also state you can only paying local Icelandic currency by card, with all the possible fees and charges, having the potential to make it the most expensive convenience stop you have ever made.

Surely for a tour coach with maybe 30 onboard SB could cover the $45???

They continue to let themselves down.

To clarify: of course there's a cost to using the facilities! I assume Seabourne factors costs like these in to excursions. My astonishment is at the cost being added at this late stage, for a luxury liner. Especially if this has been common Icelandic practice for 10 years, you might expect it to be signalled in a general statement as part of information about excursions. 

(Sorry, looks like I can't get the quote functions to work on my tablet.)

42 minutes ago, nancygp said:

No!

I’ve seen this in Iceland over 10 years ago 

Nancy

• Like 1