Questions about Schedules and Timing at Ports Viking Amsterdam - Basel July 2024

Ellen495

We're going Amsterdam to Basel. 

1. We are staying in Amsterdam one night (hotel) prior. When can we load our bags on embarkment day and how late can we get dinner onboard?

2. We  tend to prefer to do our own thing - but we did book a couple of excursions. If we veer off from any walking tour (I'm assuming it's good to follow them into town) how do we know what time to get back to the ship?

3. Will some excursions still be available for sale onboard? We have ship credit and figured we'd decide last minute for one tour.

4. Day 4 Koblenz we are most interested in either Ehrenbreitstein Fortress or Medieval Marksburg Castle. Any opinion?  I noticed for 11 euro I can do the first on my own - but it goes back to worrying about missing the boat.

5. Strasburg France - I'd love to go wine tasting, but I don't enjoy group wine tours where they pick the wine for you. Is there wine tasting on your own in town?

6.  In general, is the boat docked in one town for a full day allowing us to wander and do our own thing?

Thank you - I know I have a lot of questions, but I'm having anxiety that I won't enjoy this trip and hoping to get some positive feedback. FYI- we are 3 couples - we're 65 and very fit and active bringing our 25 and 30 year old daughters and husbands. 

Cheers,

Ellen

2 hours ago, Ellen495 said:

1. We are staying in Amsterdam one night (hotel) prior. When can we load our bags on embarkment day and how late can we get dinner onboard?

2. We  tend to prefer to do our own thing - but we did book a couple of excursions. If we veer off from any walking tour (I'm assuming it's good to follow them into town) how do we know what time to get back to the ship?

3. Will some excursions still be available for sale onboard? We have ship credit and figured we'd decide last minute for one tour.

4. Day 4 Koblenz we are most interested in either Ehrenbreitstein Fortress or Medieval Marksburg Castle. Any opinion?  I noticed for 11 euro I can do the first on my own - but it goes back to worrying about missing the boat.

5. Strasburg France - I'd love to go wine tasting, but I don't enjoy group wine tours where they pick the wine for you. Is there wine tasting on your own in town?

6.  In general, is the boat docked in one town for a full day allowing us to wander and do our own thing?

1)

Any time. Your cabin may be ready earlier, but Viking promise 3pm. You can use public areas until your cabin is ready.

There is a buffet lunch served from 12-3pm (with complimentary drinks)  for early arrivals and late departers.

You can leave your cases on board and go sightseeing off boat, just check with reception for the time you should be back.

There is probably a mandatory safety drill before dinner, and there will be a welcome talk from the programme manager before dinner.

Dinner is served 7pm-9pm Most people sit down at 7pm or shortly after. Latest we've been is 8.20.pm

2) Yes. Let your guide know if you leave an excursion early. The Viking Daily newsletter left on your bed each night gives the times throughout the day of excursions, meals, talks, and sailings. But always check with reception if doing your own thing in case he sailing time has changed.

3) Yes, if they've not sold out beforehand. The  programme manager will give detail in his daily pre-dinner briefing about the following day of what the excursions comprise so you can decide if you want to go.

4) not been to either.

5) It's a big town, there might be, but where you can choose your own wines to taste? I don't know.

6) Look at the details of your cruise on the website. If the same town appears on consecutive days the its certain you overnight there. Otherwise Viking Daily will say what time you leave.

River cruises are subject to changes in timings and locations for many reasons, go with the flow.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

PS - Viking has three cruises Amsterdam to Basel, 

Rhine Getaway, Treasures of the Rhine and Christmas on the Rhine.

Treasures of the Rhine overnights in Amsterdam and you take a canal sightseeing boat on the second day morning

If you have booked Rhine Getaway you may like to read comments on this thread

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2970413-rhine-getaway-viking-2024

Re independent wine tasting in Strasberg, it may be worth asking on a wine forum such as

WineLovers Discussion Group • Index page (wineloverspage.com)

and

Latest WINE TALK topics - WineBerserkers

Edited by pontac
  • Like 2

When we were in Strasbourg earlier this year, there were several wine stores within a block or two of the cathedral, and all were offering tastings. 

• Like 1

@Ellen495, if you approach this cruise thinking you won't have a good time,  your wish will come true. 

What specifically is causing you anxiety?

• Like 2

Ellen, just a note about embarking in Amsterdam: the ships don’t always dock in central Amsterdam behind the train station. We took this cruise in 2018 and the ship was in an industrial dock which was about a 15 minute taxi ride from the Rijksmuseum area (where we had stayed for two nights before the cruise). We boarded about noon and had a light lunch. I believe they were running shuttle buses to and from the city center for those who wanted to tour around. Viking should let you know a few days before your trip where they will be docking. It’s a great cruise - enjoy it! 

• Like 2

@pontac has given you great answers.

You will love this cruise!  Just go day by day.  Each night Viking will put the next day's program on your bed while you are at dinner.  Grab that after dinner and go to the lounge with your family and make your plans.  This will tell you what time you need to be back on the ship, if shuttles are running, the lot.

• Like 1

All of this information is fantastic!!  I realize some things may be sold out (we booked what we absolutely didn't want to miss).

It's the Rhine Getaway. I will head to that thread thank you!

I tend not to be a go with the flow type vacationer which is what is making me anxious. I  like to know what's coming - and I want everything to be perfect. 

You're all wonderful for your help!

Cheers,

Ellen

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ellen495 said:

I tend not to be a go with the flow type vacationer which is what is making me anxious. I  like to know what's coming - and I want everything to be perfect. 

To me, “go with the flow” means that I research a few things in the larger city that interest me. If one doesn’t work out, for whatever reason, another will.
We know that planned times, up to actually being on the cruise aren’t written in stone. So, I then see where the walking tour gets me in relation to my list, how much time I have on my own, and then head off on my own.
If there is a must see popular attraction, Eiffel Tower, certain museums, etc., I will get tickets in advance and keep my fingers crossed that my timing was right. 
Assuming that your pre cruise hotel is convenient to places on your list, you might consider having your hotel hold your luggage and not plan on boarding until later in the day. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

To me, “go with the flow” means that I research a few things in the larger city that interest me. If one doesn’t work out, for whatever reason, another will.
We know that planned times, up to actually being on the cruise aren’t written in stone. So, I then see where the walking tour gets me in relation to my list, how much time I have on my own, and then head off on my own.
If there is a must see popular attraction, Eiffel Tower, certain museums, etc., I will get tickets in advance and keep my fingers crossed that my timing was right. 
Assuming that your pre cruise hotel is convenient to places on your list, you might consider having your hotel hold your luggage and not plan on boarding until later in the day. 

Great ideas - thank you

Oh @Ellen495 please don't expect everything to be perfect! There are always niggles or minor disappointments that all the pre planning in the world won't help.

Also, wonderful, unexpected things can suddenly happen that you could not have planned for in advance. I'm sure you'll have a great time. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Oh @Ellen495 please don't expect everything to be perfect! There are always niggles or minor disappointments that all the pre planning in the world won't help.

Also, wonderful, unexpected things can suddenly happen that you could not have planned for in advance. I'm sure you'll have a great time. 

Love this thought...

"wonderful, unexpected things can suddenly happen"

• Like 4

I don't expect it all to be perfect - but I love traveling and just never went on a river cruise before. Also hoping German is food has fish because I don't eat meat at all. Long ago, we were in Germany for a couple of days (and one in Austria) and I couldn't find anything other than salad that I liked. I SURE it was simply where we stopped because Germany is a great country now.

I've never actually vacationed there - a couple of overnights on my way to other countries. One day I will go and visit where my father grew up- and escaped last minute.  I know this area of Germany isn't where I need to visit one day. He grew up in Liepzig.

THANKS!

Ellen

When we went to the Alsace région, we used a site related to vineyards and wine tastings. You might find some info on it for Strasbourg. Can't remember the exact name, but a search should easily locate the website (Alsace wine route or Route des vins -- something like that).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ellen495 said:

Also hoping German is food has fish because I don't eat meat at all

The Viking menus always have meat free options. Lunch often has a fish dish as one of the main choices, and always has standard 'Classic' options which include Niçoise Salad and Vegetarian burger.

At dinner there are dishes local to the country, (starter, main, dessert) and an international menu which always includes vegetarian choices and often a fish dish, plus the 'Always Available' options which include Caesar Salad and Norwegian Salmon.

One night in Germany will be a 'Taste of Germany' German evening, where they showcase German food, and one of the options is grilled char fillet.

The Germans like their meat, but you'll be dining on a Viking boat with a menu tilted towards an American, Canadian & British clientele.

See menus in my trip reports for an idea - the following, though not exactly the cruise you've booked, took place in Germany:

• Like 3

One other point is it is really important to understand that river conditions and lock traffic can change timings and plans for the ship on any given day. The staff onboard will tell you the day before what the schedule is for the next day.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dd57 said:

One other point is it is really important to understand that river conditions and lock traffic can change timings and plans for the ship on any given day. The staff onboard will tell you the day before what the schedule is for the next day.

And even that schedule might change at the last minute. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

And even that schedule might change at the last minute. 

And carry the ship's phone number with you if you aren't on a Viking tour.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dd57 said:

And carry the ship's phone number with you if you aren't on a Viking tour.

That number and the mooring location is on the reception desk (plus a map)  you can take before leaving ship

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, pontac said:

That number and the mooring location is on the reception desk (plus a map)  you can take before leaving ship

That is so helpful, than you!

Cheers,

Ellen