Queen Anne Western Mediterranean - H414

MylesS

9 minutes ago, Jonem2001 said:

Jealous of your tendering experience… I’ve only ever been on one, on the Norwegian Epic. Not exactly a White Star experience, but the view on the approach to Cannes has set a high bar for an eventual second attempt!

I've noticed that Norwegian and a few others have been using the local ferry company to supply tendering facilities at Cannes for a few years. Yesterday Norwegian Escape was using two of it's own tenders and I think up to four of the local ferries. The ferries are probably faster, steadier and higher capacity than the tenders, with local crew.

1 hour ago, Jonem2001 said:

My partner and I are doing this on QA after Christmas (Princess Grill out to Hamburg and Britannia Inside back… just to see both ends of the spectrum 😂).

We also booked cabins on the same deck to smooth the transfer… hope it goes well for you.

Jealous of your tendering experience… I’ve only ever been on one, on the Norwegian Epic. Not exactly a White Star experience, but the view on the approach to Cannes has set a high bar for an eventual second attempt!

Don't get too jealous.

It's not all plain sailing. There can be some extremely unwell passengers during tendering ashore and back. Happens every time when anchored in The Firth of Forth for example.

Last year, an elderly lady needed the attention of the medical centre she was so unwell during tendering back.

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Don't get too jealous.

It's not all plain sailing. There can be some extremely unwell passengers during tendering ashore and back. Happens every time when anchored in The Firth of Forth for example.

Last year, an elderly lady needed the attention of the medical centre she was so unwell during tendering back.

Yes, the Firth of Forth can be very nasty, also Monte Carlo roundabout midday, because of a wind that comes up, I think.

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Don't get too jealous.

Swimming under the Forth Rail Bridge was never something I envisaged doing.

The RS Feva that was one of the boats used in the RYA Dinghy course had other ideas. Most times I tried to gybe, the wind caught it and over it went chucking me in.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, D&N said:

Swimming under the Forth Rail Bridge was never something I envisaged doing.

The RS Feva that was one of the boats used in the RYA Dinghy course had other ideas. Most times I tried to gybe, the wind caught it and over it went chucking me in.

Thank you…

This post gave a happy memory smile, from when participating (attempting) in first 2 litre boat race….. Last across the start, at first marker, hard port, rolled it, time for a swim.

Always remembered the statement by a F1 powerboat driver, when one asked what it was like to drive.  The reply was “It’s like sitting in the pouring rain, on a huge pneumatic drill at full blast, watching £50 notes burn” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Jonem2001 said:

We also booked cabins on the same deck to smooth the transfer… hope it goes well for you.

If it’s anything like Queen Mary 2 transferring, it should be fine.

Pack your case(s) as normal, leave them inside your cabin. Collect your new cruise card from the office in the morning, and by midday, you should be “moved” into your new cabin ready to unpack!

We’re switching from deck 7 to 6 and back to 7 - though thankfully still the same stairway. 

Another hot day in Palma today! Temperatures above 30c.

No tour today, however I did leave the ship this afternoon for some lunch and a bit of shopping (I now have some Lego to try and assemble during the next month!)

Very easy port to navigate on foot, at least where we were docked. 

IMG_6307.thumb.jpeg.f695473c3d8cdab645fe09f980984b29.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, GeorgianGal100 said:

I do hope the lego is a ship!

Unfortunately not!

We do have the Lego Titanic sat across from our Queen Mary 2 model in the dining room, though. 

IMG_4205.thumb.jpeg.fe47652f6c45f82d3f383bc30186ba1d.jpegIMG_4206.thumb.jpeg.c868adea73e2225fc64651fbacbecb35.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GeorgianGal100 said:

They're fabulous, I take it you don't have cats as the Titanic would be going down a second time if it was in our house.  That's a very impressive display, thanks for sharing.

We actually have two! Both too lazy to be bothered though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Given this is a warm weather cruise, and previous discussions about the grills terrace/hot tubs, how has the space worked for those in grills and have there been any issues with ‘gate crashers’?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pear Carr said:

Given this is a warm weather cruise, and previous discussions about the grills terrace/hot tubs, how has the space worked for those in grills and have there been any issues with ‘gate crashers’?

There was some hot weather during the 5 weeks I was on board. The Grills Terrance never felt crowded and we were always able to find a lounger in the shade or in the sun, depending on what the weather dictated. I was often the only person in the hot tub, and at no times did it feel too crowded in the hot tubs.

I have no idea personally about "gate crashers" the topic never came up chatting with others on the Terrace although someone did say he was in the hot tub with another couple who were very proud of the fact they were there and were not in the Grills.

Edited by safarigal
  • Like 2

On 6/7/2024 at 10:13 AM, exlondoner said:

Are you going to meet Queen Victoria? It would be nice for QA finally to meet one of her sisters.

QA and QM2 are both in Southampton this coming Sunday

We will be boarding QA 😎

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Pear Carr said:

The grills terrace is not policed at all and entry is by an unlocked gate from Deck 11. I have seen several pax go through who are not in grills. It is also being used as a short cut from one side to the other.

Just now, Red Ray said:

The grills terrace is not policed at all and entry is by an unlocked gate from Deck 11. I have seen several pax go through who are not in grills. It is also being used as a short cut from one side to the other.

Well so much for the Cunard forward promotion, of being accessed by keycard only! This will certainly annoy me, to be honest. If one pays a premium for a facility, it should be kept as it was sold for.

Is the gate kept “free” as a H&S issue in an emergency, would you say?

• Like 3

While it is annoying to have battle through the buffet and also the pavilion swimming pool area just to get from one end of decks 10/11/12 to the other, I wouldn't dream of taking a short cut through an area I'm not entitled to. However I can see why others might do so, it's a bad design imo, not being able to walk around the top deck.

In Malaga today! Taken after a short tour, that was a little disorganised but worked in the end.

We had a quick walk around and then walked back to the ship, past the beach and small shops.

We also saw the ambulance this morning, hopefully all is doing ok given the circumstances for the individual.

Also more washing and panting taking place today and previous days.

IMG_6341.thumb.jpeg.6b8d6bab319b54bde16e5c1371de7679.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jay1283 said:

While it is annoying to have battle through the buffet and also the pavilion swimming pool area just to get from one end of decks 10/11/12 to the other, I wouldn't dream of taking a short cut through an area I'm not entitled to. However I can see why others might do so, it's a bad design imo, not being able to walk around the top deck.

Oh, wow, I've just looked at the deck plans. That really is a terrible layout for those of us travelling pauper class. I'm not surprised people are using the Grills terrace as a cut-through.

How clearly is it labelled as the Grills terrace? (Although that said, I ended up lounging on the Grills terrace on my first voyage, because I had no idea what the Grills were. I just thought it was the name of the area. Could have been labelled with a flashing neon sign and it wouldn't have meant anything to me.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

Well so much for the Cunard forward promotion, of being accessed by keycard only! This will certainly annoy me, to be honest. If one pays a premium for a facility, it should be kept as it was sold for.

Why will it annoy you? You won’t know who is doing it and whether they are entitled. It seems a sensible shortcut to me, and I speak as a QG passenger. In fact I was the only person I noticed using it. I would be much crosser to be challenged by a fellow passenger than for an occasional person to use it to avoid a silly walk. Lingering and making a noise is a different issue. Trust is a good thing.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, LadyL1 said:

Emergency evacuation is paramount without lining up to swipe  a card.

19 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Why will it annoy you? You won’t know who is doing it and whether they are entitled. It seems a sensible shortcut to me, and I speak as a QG passenger. In fact I was the only person I noticed using it. I would be much crosser to be challenged by a fellow passenger than for an occasional person to use it to avoid a silly walk. Lingering and making a noise is a different issue. Trust is a good thing.

I will experience it Sunday, my priority is good views on departure especially on fiords passages.

Non Grills in the Grill's area  happens on QE and QV too but it isn't a huge issue and I don't think it will be much of a problem on QA. Yes we pay a premium but I can't get too excited about it. The crew/staff get to know who is 'pukka' for the most part and the Concierge was definitely on the ball as far as one couple were concerned and swiping a card for an  emergency exit isn't a great idea.

• Like 2