QM2 making a “U” turn

Millieloulou

57 minutes ago, MylesS said:

Have they cancelled any scheduled tours, or just pushed them back? When we were late last year before the Independence Day Celebration voyage, they had cancelled them all (though this was understandable, as we arrived at 3pm)

We were on that Crossing too…felt bad for those embarking so late. Felt worse for the crew member who passed away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I received this email from Cunard a few minutes ago.

Important information about your voyage

Booking reference: XXXXXX

Dear Mr ------,

We are looking forward to welcoming you on board Queen Mary 2 tomorrow.

Unfortunately, Queen Mary 2’s arrival into New York will be delayed by approximately four hours, and it will not be possible to embark at the original embarkation time. Guests will need to arrive two hours later than their allocated arrival time displayed on their boarding pass. We kindly request that all guests observe this change to the embarkation time and please do not arrive at the terminal early.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

Kind Regards,

Cunard

I’m sure most will ignore this, arrive early, and complain about embarkation being slow and horrendous. 

• Like 5

The current ETA from AIS data is consistent with the announcement. 

Screenshot_20240614-091350.thumb.png.31ea9bd35b75d6e337595353c4a0b357.png

QM2 is "steaming" at 25kts consistently since yesterday, now with an ETA of 08:36 EDT. 

There are plenty of time to catch up with the schedule on her leisurely paced 8 nights east bound crossing. 

59 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I received this email from Cunard a few minutes ago.

Important information about your voyage

Booking reference: XXXXXX

Dear Mr ------,

We are looking forward to welcoming you on board Queen Mary 2 tomorrow.

Unfortunately, Queen Mary 2’s arrival into New York will be delayed by approximately four hours, and it will not be possible to embark at the original embarkation time. Guests will need to arrive two hours later than their allocated arrival time displayed on their boarding pass. We kindly request that all guests observe this change to the embarkation time and please do not arrive at the terminal early.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

Kind Regards,

Cunard

This seems a bit ambitious. If she is going to be four hours late, how can they hope boarding will only be delayed by two hours? I do hope it all goes smoothly for you and everyone else.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

This seems a bit ambitious. If she is going to be four hours late, how can they hope boarding will only be delayed by two hours? I do hope it all goes smoothly for you and everyone else.

The US rule of “zeroing out” the ship just doesn’t help with these types of delays. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Read elsewhere that disembarking passengers are asked to be out of their rooms by 9:00 AM, so the crew will start the turnover without too much delay.  That should help but lounges will be crowded and the luggage to be offboarded has to go somewhere.  Hopefully most people do their best to be flexible in dealing with the change, and don't take it out on the crew members!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NE John said:

We were on that Crossing too…felt bad for those embarking so late. Felt worse for the crew member who passed away. 

John,

You remember that sailing well.. So did we...

See Her Coming in 3PM....boarding 5PM.....We didn't till 915PM....Sailing 230AM...

She sailed away and we were DEAD asleep.

Didn't even feel her moving...

Remember everyone calling it the "Voyage from Hell"

But we too and all on board felt the Loss of the Baker's passing.

Know some one on board tomorrow with 3 spaces in the kennel and Wishing Them All The Best!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stan01 said:

Read elsewhere that disembarking passengers are asked to be out of their rooms by 9:00 AM, so the crew will start the turnover without too much delay.  

Yes, this. We're currently on the ship and have been given a disembarkation time of 11:20. We are asked to vacate our cabin by 9am and wait in one of the lounges. That will likely help with getting the cabins cleaned and ready for the next crossing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, leyland1989 said:

The current ETA from AIS data is consistent with the announcement. 

Screenshot_20240614-091350.thumb.png.31ea9bd35b75d6e337595353c4a0b357.png

QM2 is "steaming" at 25kts consistently since yesterday, now with an ETA of 08:36 EDT. 

There are plenty of time to catch up with the schedule on her leisurely paced 8 nights east bound crossing. 

ETA almost certainly to pilot station.

34 minutes ago, KathleenMC55 said:

Yes, this. We're currently on the ship and have been given a disembarkation time of 11:20. We are asked to vacate our cabin by 9am and wait in one of the lounges. That will likely help with getting the cabins cleaned and ready for the next crossing.

So far, Cunard seems to be handling it better than last year.  Fingers crossed all their contingency planning works out OK.  After last year's mess (and knowing they have several six day crossings this year) hopefully they had some better planning in place.

• Like 2

We will be boarding QM2 tomorrow and our new boarding time now is 2:15pm. We were planning to have lunch at the QG but this will be rather late with the new boarding time. Are there any precedents for this, i.e., will they extend their lunch hours or should we plan on having lunch ashore?

I honestly think that food services will still be available under the circumstances.

When we experience the situation more serious last year on the 4th of July sailing, when we boarded there was food available in the Kings Court and also in our PG Restaurant.

I would not worry about this and just ask once on board.

I suggest taking some snacks and water with you just in case there are delays. Better have something available instead of not eating. There are no vending machines available in the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. I believe that Cunard may have had bottle water available in the terminal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Akunosch said:

We will be boarding QM2 tomorrow and our new boarding time now is 2:15pm. We were planning to have lunch at the QG but this will be rather late with the new boarding time. Are there any precedents for this, i.e., will they extend their lunch hours or should we plan on having lunch ashore?

During very slow boarding at Southampton just after Covid, Grills lunch on QE was moved to 1.30 to 3pm, so you may be lucky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She’s here! Coming under the bridge around 9:02AM. Wanted to go down to battery park to watch the arrival, but got distracted by coffee and the morning paper, so watched it on the harbor cam. It is a beautiful morning here in New York City for her arrival!

IMG_7311.jpeg

Edited by jarodt
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I should have been joining QM2 today for 6 weeks split between her and QA, but yesterday morning, my knee gave out, and I cannot walk unassisted. Cannot see the orthopedic until  next week. So sad to cancel this journey which has been booked for 18 months. Now sitting working on insurance paperwork and contemplating all the packed cases,  which will have to be unpacked at some point. Still, better than having my knee collapse while in line at Brooklyn or mid-journey I suppose. 😞  All the best to those joining today.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, esrs said:

I should have been joining QM2 today for 6 weeks split between her and QA, but yesterday morning, my knee gave out, and I cannot walk unassisted. Cannot see the orthopedic until  next week. So sad to cancel this journey which has been booked for 18 months. Now sitting working on insurance paperwork and contemplating all the packed cases,  which will have to be unpacked at some point. Still, better than having my knee collapse while in line at Brooklyn or mid-journey I suppose. 😞  All the best to those joining today.

Commiserations. I hope you are fit enough soon to do another voyage.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, esrs said:

How disappointing, I hope you're well enough to sail again soon. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Commiserations. I hope you are fit enough soon to do another voyage.

Thank you. We have 2 booked next year that I hope will happen. My husband doesn't fly so we always book early to link transatlantics with other journeys, not always easy to organize.  I'm particularly sad to be missing the Baltic trip as Cunard doesn't seem to have anything else scheduled for the region in 25 or 26 (already have 2 booked for 26 as well.)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, esrs said:

I am so sorry esrs, I know what a problem you have. Luckily, I was able to schedule my TKR before mine actually gave out and in between cruises.

Good luck next week and go for the op if offered. Really worth it. 👍

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

How disappointing, I hope you're well enough to sail again soon. 

Thank you Hattie.  We would have finally made Diamond in the middle of this trip too. But trying to make the best of having a clear schedule for the next 6 weeks,  excepting of course the doctor for the knee. And we definitely need to get some food into the house as we binned everything perishable Thursday night.

• Like 2

Thanks for the updates. We’re waiting (impatiently) in my sister’s apartment on the Upper West Side for our car to pick us up. We pushed the pickup two hours but the waiting is killing me. This is our first Cunard trip. Just get me on the ship and put a drink in my hand 😁🍷🚢

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, jpcello said:

Thanks for the updates. We’re waiting (impatiently) in my sister’s apartment on the Upper West Side for our car to pick us up. We pushed the pickup two hours but the waiting is killing me. This is our first Cunard trip. Just get me on the ship and put a drink in my hand 😁🍷🚢

I can imagine the suspense is unbearable, but try and be patient and expect the worst. Remember, embarkation is never the best bit, though the moment you finally step onto the ship is pretty good.

• Like 1