"Bribing" Maitre d' to get better table/waiter

stan01

This will be controversial I know.  I've read several posts referencing slipping bills to Cunard Maitre d' to get a better table or waiter, whether that be in Britannia, BC, or even Grills.  Is this something that is routinely done, and is it basically something we have to do in order to avoid the least desirable table with the most inexperienced waiter?  This is our first Cunard cruise so we don't have "status" and the staff do not "know us" or view us as their friends (yet).  Just curious what the actual custom is, and if this practice is so widespread that it should be done despite being distasteful and not what we do in restaurants ashore where we live.

4 minutes ago, stan01 said:

This will be controversial I know.  I've read several posts referencing slipping bills to Cunard Maitre d' to get a better table or waiter, whether that be in Britannia, BC, or even Grills.  Is this something that is routinely done, and is it basically something we have to do in order to avoid the least desirable table with the most inexperienced waiter?  This is our first Cunard cruise so we don't have "status" and the staff do not "know us" or view us as their friends (yet).  Just curious what the actual custom is, and if this practice is so widespread that it should be done despite being distasteful and not what we do in restaurants ashore where we live.

I think you have answered your own question by the use of the words ‘distasteful and not what we do’. If you hate your table, they will try and move you.

• Like 4

Just think about it for a minute - if everybody was to do it then everybody would be back where they started and the Maitre d' would have a pocketful of cash!

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

One word to 'is it done'.

No.

That doesn't mean some might think it worth trying  but as having a word to see if a move can be made, will be facilitated if possible, trying a  bribe is demeaning to the staff and quite frankly, is insulting.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I think it's a bad idea, but I have seen it happen in QV Britannia a few months back. The maître d did accept the money. I couldn't see how much it was, but there were a number of $10 bills there, more than 3 and less than 6 I would guess. The passenger was on his own when he did this, but when dining he had a lady with him, so my guess is that this was someone who was trying to get a nice table for his wife/girlfriend. I was on Open dining, some nights I got a better table than this couple, some nights I did not, but their view of a good table may well be different to mine. 

I actually don't think it is necessary, the maître d will do what they can to accommodate someone's wishes without the need of a tip.

• Like 1

I sense this was an honest question from someone coming from a place where this wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility. 

I've not seen it happen, but can well imagine it is tried on pretty much every cruise, likely to varying degrees of success based on the member of staff involved and the amount of flexibility they had. 

Goes against the grain in this country, and how they teach this style of customer service, but it would be naive, I think, to think it doesn't happen given how pushy some guests are. 

• Like 1

Not knowing what @Pushpit heard being said, perhaps the maître d had already agreed to whatever request was made. I still find it distasteful though. I thought allocating tables was a significant part of a maître d's job and that they would do their best to accommodate requests.

In my view gratuities for good service are better kept until end of trip unless it's a staff member you don't expect to see again.

• Like 6

It is all subjective anyway. What constitutes a "good table"? How do you define a "good waiter"? What table/waiter one passenger considers good another may have a totally different view on.

And are "good" waiters assigned to "good" tables? In many cases the more experienced waiters have their station nearest to the galley and I would hazard a guess that the tables considered good are probably not near the galley.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, david63 said:

It is all subjective anyway. What constitutes a "good table"? How do you define a "good waiter"? What table/waiter one passenger considers good another may have a totally different view on.

And are "good" waiters assigned to "good" tables? In many cases the more experienced waiters have their station nearest to the galley and I would hazard a guess that the tables considered good are probably not near the galley.

I once sadly had the misfortune to watch an older gentleman throw what can only be described as a tantrum in full view of every one because the table he was shown to was near the galley. Great example he was setting to his about 10 year old grand daughter with him. He refused to sit there so don’t know what happened. Me if it means getting a table for one I don’t care where it is. I’ve been near the serving stations loads of times and they have all been fine. Rather that then be on one of those very tight runs of 3 or 4. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

About 15 years ago, when open seating was new on HAL, we were waitlisted for early fixed dining. When we asked for a change, the Maitre d' said he could put us at a 2-top in open seating for the first night. Right by the window. When we went back to the dining room, we were not by the window. We were one table away (different number than we had been told). I wondered if the couple who got "our" window table had "paid" for it in some way. Not a big deal. In fact, we liked the waitstaff there so much that we told the Maitre d' we would keep reserving that table.  

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

I once sadly had the misfortune to watch an older gentleman throw what can only be described as a tantrum in full view of every one because the table he was shown to was near the galley. Great example he was setting to his about 10 year old grand daughter with him. He refused to sit there so don’t know what happened. Me if it means getting a table for one I don’t care where it is. I’ve been near the serving stations loads of times and they have all been fine. Rather that then be on one of those very tight runs of 3 or 4. 

There was an account of the very unedifying behaviour of a celebrity guest speaker on the naming voyage, when they wouldn’t move her to the table she wanted.

• Like 3

Americans see this differently than the British.  Many of the answers here come from British folks and most are adamant against it.  It's not going to embarrass the staff to take your cash.  After all a tip is money given as a bonus for service rendered, so giving the Maitre d' a tip for changing your table is not inappropriate.  It would also be fine to wait and include the tip as part of the overall end of trip tips that you may wish to pass out.  If you aren't flashing your cash or making a production out of it, then it's between you and the Maitre d' and no one else should care.

A tip is most definitely given after services rendered if the service given greatly enhances the experience.

A bribe is a sort of inducement given before in the hopes services might be rendered even if it's not warranted in the situation as described by the o/p who, it has to be said, isn't in favour of the bribe scenario but wishes to 'test the waters'.

I'm all for one and appalled at the thought of the other.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ratflinger said:

Americans see this differently than the British.  Many of the answers here come from British folks and most are adamant against it.  It's not going to embarrass the staff to take your cash.  After all a tip is money given as a bonus for service rendered, so giving the Maitre d' a tip for changing your table is not inappropriate.  It would also be fine to wait and include the tip as part of the overall end of trip tips that you may wish to pass out.  If you aren't flashing your cash or making a production out of it, then it's between you and the Maitre d' and no one else should care.

Exactly: a tip is a bonus for services rendered. A bribe is an inducement for someone to act in a particular way. You can’t say that no one else should care. What about the person bumped off the good table so they could satisfy the briber?

And, while I do not find Cunard ships particularly British in tone, they are certainly more British than American.

• Like 1

Hypothetically speaking, a first time Cunard cruiser in QG Q5 on QM2 wants a cherished window table.

Do they:
1) ask nicely

2) slip 20 or 50 to matire' d and get table

3) ask and get told "so sorry,  those go to people who paid more and who have been on many cruises"

4) know their place and accept that these aren't for them

The correct answer is 1), with perhaps some give / take on it, e.g. if they arrive later on then for that evening it may be OK to get a window seat since the original guests have left.

Mind you, on QM2 the window seats are right next to the promenade deck, so some QG passengers may feel they are in a goldfish bowl there if the weather is amenable. It's not always a good location.

• Like 1

You omit 5) Slip a bribe to the Maitre d and not get a table.

and 
6) ask and get given a table you like.

But what 2) really means is bribe the maitre d to remove someone, who has paid more, from the table they were going to get. 

It is best to be clear about this. I speak as someone who has travelled in QG for over 20 years, but never yet achieved a window table. Perhaps I should try bribery.

• Like 2

Our first experience in QG Q5 on QV we were given a table close to the entrance on the left, near a serving station for our embarkation day lunch.  Approached the Maitre D on exit and requested a window table if possible - no money offered - arrived at dinner to be directed right on entry to a window table for the duration of the voyage. Excellent table and service and would never offer a ‘bribe’ to try to secure a better table - just ask and hope for the best.

• Like 2

Ignore  No 2

No 3 reply might be reality but would never be said,

No 1 might not get you a window seat but you might be moved nearer, or the window fairy might actually be on duty to wave her magic wand for you

Up to individuals if they go for No 4

Posted (edited)

As an American, I think it’s tacky to wave a wad of cash to bribe a M’d. I see “big shots” in NYC steakhouses do that and I just roll my eyes. 
I’d be very glad to give an extra tip at the end; the staff work very hard. 

It’s my 60th bday in QG next week so maybe I’ll get a good table based on that. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 4

Most countries including the US and UK have anti-bribery laws. It's very likely that offering or accepting a bribe is committing a crime.

In practice these laws are aimed at multi million $/£ contracts but it's the same principle.

We’ve now been on Queen Anne for a week, and are travelling in Britannia. 

Our first night doing open sitting, we loved our table. Nice view, but mainly for the staff. Our favourite sommelier from Queen Mary 2, and excellent table staff.

The 2nd night, we showed up and asked for the same table politely, if it was not too much trouble.

Night after, we did the same. From then on, we’ve been given the same table without asking when the maitre’d has seen us.

Honestly, it feels like we’re in club! Obviously the dining room is bigger, but the table concept is there.

Did we pay or bribe? No. We were just very polite, and thankful to them all.

Treat others how you wish to be treated in my opinion.  

• Like 12