Wheelchair Assistance for Boarding

For the first time I decided I am going to need to use a wheelchair going through the boarding process for our cruise next Feb.  I have never done that and my TA has indicated it has been added to my booking - although I can't see anything about it online.

I would like advice from those who are experienced with wheelchair assistance - is there a certain place to go when you get to the port (Galveston) to get started - or how do you contact them if not?  And of course - do you tip the attendant.

Thanks for any advice.

Posted (edited)

When you arrive at the terminal, after you have disposed of your big bags, tell the staff directing people to the proper lines that you have requested wheel chair assistance. Keep in mind you will need to deal with your carry-on, so make it something you can keep in your lap or that your companion can manage along with his/her own carry-on while you are being wheeled by the attendant. Yes, I would suggest tipping the attendant.

To your travel companion I would advise using a backpack as their carry-on. It will likely be useful to have their hands free.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by carol louise
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, carol louise said:

When you arrive at the terminal, after you have disposed of your big bags, tell the staff directing people to the proper lines that you have requested wheel chair assistance. Keep in mind you will need to deal with your carry-on, so make it something you can keep in your lap or that your companion can manage along with his/her own carry-on while you are being wheeled by the attendant. Yes, I would suggest tipping the attendant.

To your travel companion I would advise using a backpack as their carry-on. It will likely be useful to have their hands free.

Have a great cruise!

Thank you!  Very much appreciated.

2 hours ago, bjkTX said:

A follow up question.  How far does the attendant take you?

As mentioned, just to the lobby area.  But I do wonder if that's the case for all Carnival cruises.  Reason is, on a cruise out of New Orleans and one out of Galveston, the attendant pushed my spouse's wheelchair all the way to the room.  Both were pre-covid and all, since then it's been just to the lobby which is cool. 

9 minutes ago, Rollin Tide said:

As mentioned, just to the lobby area.  But I do wonder if that's the case for all Carnival cruises.  Reason is, on a cruise out of New Orleans and one out of Galveston, the attendant pushed my spouse's wheelchair all the way to the room.  Both were pre-covid and all, since then it's been just to the lobby which is cool. 

Thanks!  This will be our 4th Carnival cruise (26th in all) and as I recall we could never go direct to our cabin like we do on Princess - so I figured they would probably get me onto the ship and that would be it - which is fine.

Posted (edited)

We have had them do it both ways.  We have had them push us to our cabin, if it is ready (or platinum/diamond) or to the ship lobby.  And... There is usually a pusher for off the ship, then they transfer you to a ship employee to push you the rest of the way. (FYI. In case you want to tip both.)

Edited by Ducman

2 hours ago, Ducman said:

We have had them do it both ways.  We have had them push us to our cabin, if it is ready (or platinum/diamond) or to the ship lobby.  And... There is usually a pusher for off the ship, then they transfer you to a ship employee to push you the rest of the way. (FYI. In case you want to tip both.)

If Carnival were smart, they would require the wheelchair pushers to take the person directly to the muster station.  😁  One less person to worry about completing the drill!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ducman said:

I don't think that Carnival provides wheelchair assistance in ports, just embarking and debarking.  But I could be wrong.

The only assistance you'll get is up and down the gangway. 

• Like 3

We did this with my MIL last November and it worked like a charm! She is reasonably mobile and didn't need any other assistance on the ship. She had just turned 88, and since boarding is a bit frenetic with people moving very quickly (understandably so), using the wheelchair assist was a lot less stressful.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, staceyglow said:

If Carnival were smart, they would require the wheelchair pushers to take the person directly to the muster station.  😁  One less person to worry about completing the drill!

They did this in Southampton prior to boarding the Celebration TA.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2024 at 5:53 PM, Susan in Maine said:

We did this with my MIL last November and it worked like a charm! She is reasonably mobile and didn't need any other assistance on the ship. She had just turned 88, and since boarding is a bit frenetic with people moving very quickly (understandably so), using the wheelchair assist was a lot less stressful.

That's the situation I am in - glad to know it works 🙂

• Like 1

Depending on the port and the ship it can vary. Some ships that come into Boston don't allow staff out of the building so wheelchairs are available once in the building. Others have staff that can go out of the building to retrieve the guests.

If you don;t have a TA, do you contact Special Needs to have this added to your Booking? I was jsut checking the website, and it said to just let the folks know you need it when you check in, didn't say you had to request in advance. My sister may need this depending on what happens with her knee between now and September, waiting to find out if she has a torn meniscus and if she needs surgery or whatnot.