Casita..?

Not sure why I'm considering it but port day Casita $90.  Assuming we choose either Nassau or Port Canaveral...   should I bother?  I'm thinking these ports don't often appeal to folks anymore sailing from NJ....maybe it might be worth having reserved seats?

Just asking for your experience.  

47 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

Not sure why I'm considering it but port day Casita $90.  Assuming we choose either Nassau or Port Canaveral...   should I bother?  I'm thinking these ports don't often appeal to folks anymore sailing from NJ....maybe it might be worth having reserved seats?

IMO , Only you can answer questions like this for yourself. These questions to me come simply down to personal budget . I would think it is ludicrous to spend that , and could find much better things to spend my money on , while I recognize that some would prefer the cushy bed enough to want to spend. As for the question of "port appeal" , I have never been at any port where I've decided to stay onboard where there was difficulty finding a seat in a desired location ,

Cheers

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't bother.  They're on the deck ABOVE the pool, where it's easy to find a seat any day /any time  The sun beds face the interior of the pool ... not the ocean, so you don't really have a good view.  On a port day, it'll be easy to get a seat in the shade by the pool.  Even if I were staying on the ship during the Nassau stop, I wouldn't be willing to pay anything for a Casita.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I wouldn't bother.  They're on the deck ABOVE the pool, where it's easy to find a seat any day /any time  The sun beds face the interior of the pool ... not the ocean, so you don't really have a good view.  On a port day, it'll be easy to get a seat in the shade by the pool.  Even if I were staying on the ship during the Nassau stop, I wouldn't be willing to pay anything for a Casita.  

Agree 100%. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sadiwest said:

All good points.  It comes from my desire to try things at least once. Lol

That's a reasonable thought, and you'll probably never get it cheaper than $90.  

• Thanks 1

If you want a cushion for lounge chairs, try the Teton seat cushions sold on Amazon.  Much cheaper than a casita and can go on any chair.  Roll up for travel.

Book it. It's really nice to arrive at your leisure and come and go.

Different, but the same comparison: we cruised on the Icon in March. We were one of the lucky ones that seized a great rate for a balcony cabin. In Coco Cay we booked a Chill Island Cabana for a ridiculous amount of money. It was worth every dime for my wife and I.

Fill in these blanks __________ and __________ what you want to celebrate and do it. Mine was six months post cancer surgery and being alive. The second was forty-one great years of marriage. Life is short, don't second guess.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 10:38 AM, sadiwest said:

I did it on Navigator on a port day last year in August.  I throughly enjoyed the experience.  There wasn't anything that I wanted to do in Ensenada since ive been a few times already.  This made far a great day onboard the ship. Yes the ship was half empty and I could have found many loungers available but for me this was a great way upgrade a quiet ship day.  For a start the casita is far more comfortable for that pool loungers. They started out with a nice fruit plate first thing in the morning.  We had drink service all day with a call button attached right in the casita.  They also reserved the two pool loungers directly beside us for our exclusive use so all four us had seating as we came and went all day long.

I intend to do again on future cruises where a port day becomes a ship day for me.  At $90 I consider it money well spent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Tree_skier - Was your reservation made online or onboard?  Wondering about the reserved lounges on either side.  We would also have 4 persons.

I made my reservation online pre-cruise. You don't select your casita until you get onboard.  I went asked for a specific one on day one... I had it reserved for day 4.  YMMV

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2024 at 2:40 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

I completely agree with everything you wrote.

Someone mentioned a fruit plate being delivered in the morning. Was that standard or ordered?  What about lunch or snacks throughout the day?  I know that on HAL, one can order anything and the attendant brings it to their private tent.

53 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Someone mentioned a fruit plate being delivered in the morning. Was that standard or ordered?  What about lunch or snacks throughout the day?  I know that on HAL, one can order anything and the attendant brings it to their private tent.

Even if a fruit plate is included, so what?  You can walk into the Windjammer and pick up all the fruit you want.  Not a big selling point.  

The casitas do come with ... is it two mixed drinks and two bottled waters?  Or something like that.  

Yes, I could. 🤨  However, if we are paying for a Casita that includes those services, we are taking advantage of everything.  So if the wait services are included, the only time I will be getting up is to take myself to the restroom. 😁 

Because of high cost, normally, I would not be the least interested in booking a Casita.  This thread got me thinking.  If we could get a deal like Tree_skier and pay only $99 on a port day, the day could be very enjoyable.  

The act of RCI reserving a lounge on either side of the Casita makes that deal better.  We could split the cost with our two adult daughters and take turns doing sun and shade.  My eldest daughter has mentioned wanting to be waited on around a pool, or on a beach.  This would be her chance. 👸

On 7/9/2024 at 2:40 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

If you pay extra will they turn it around so you have an ocean view?😀

The fruit plate arrived around 10 am... I never asked about delivering anything other than drinks so I don't know about that.  At lunch I walked down to El Loco Fresh for some Nachos and brought them up to my Casita.  I needed to move a little anyways if for no other reason then check my sobriety before heading over to the waterslide and Flowrider. 🙂 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm pretty sure all parts are solidly attached to the decking.  If they weren't, the ocean winds would blow them around. 

1 hour ago, Iamthesea said:

My eldest daughter has mentioned wanting to be waited on around a pool, or on a beach.  This would be her chance. 👸

Well, it'd be her chance to be waited on a deck above the pool. 

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

The deck chairs can at least be turned around to face the ocean.  I do like to look out at the sea, but some people prefer to people watch (I like that too!)

37 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Well, it'd be her chance to be waited on a deck above the pool. 

She has a large deck that overlooks her own home's swimming pool, but her DH will not wait on her. 😆 😎

• Like 1

I had one last year on Oasis.

There were a few casitas that faced the ocean.

Wait service (that was excellent, never had to use the call button) was for drinks only. There was a cooler that had a few bottles of water and ice in it. If I recall correctly, a couple of drinks were supposed to be included, but we had the drink package, so a moot point.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ngrund said:

I had one last year on Oasis.

There were a few casitas that faced the ocean.

Wait service (that was excellent, never had to use the call button) was for drinks only. There was a cooler that had a few bottles of water and ice in it. If I recall correctly, a couple of drinks were supposed to be included, but we had the drink package, so a moot point.

You all realize the bar servers circulate nonstop all day for everyone right ?

9 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

You all realize the bar servers circulate nonstop all day for everyone right ?

Yes, but if needed we also had the call button and they did stop by more frequently than we ever had in regular loungers.

• Like 1