Cove Balcony & noise ?

I’m looking at our first Cove Balcony (deck 2)..but not our first Balcony, if I try to stay fairly mid-ship, would we experience much/any mechanical noise?

I’d imagine too close to the front, there would be noise from the anchor in the mornings on port days & too close to the back there would be engine noise..?

The main thing you want to avoid is being under the galley.  I have been in cove balconies in other areas and didn’t experience any noise issues, but I have read reports of people in coves under the galley that mentioned noise problems.

• Like 2

We recently had a spa cove balcony on the Mardi Gras.  Thump thump thump bass was heard constantly, assuming from Grand Central. Even when nothing was going on it was heard.  When we debarked, also from that area, we were next to the stage and it was still going - so I assume it doesn't shut off often.

Mid-Ship forward is generally safe, but you really want to check the deck plans for the specific ship you're sailing. As @nwcruiselover pointed out, some of the Coves are under the Galley and that can be noisy throughout the day and night. As you get forward or aft there's definitely the sound of thrusters, engines, etc. that might be a factor.

When I was on the Dream a few years back we didn't have any cabin noise issues (other than the waves outside, which was wonderful) and stayed midship forward.

We did the Venizia and didn't notice galley noise as much as smell. We were under the life boats so I guess it had nowhere else to go. Also we were under one of the smoking areas and noticed that too. Cabin 2301.

We also had this large pipe on the one side and it used up a large part of the seating space.

Other than that I enjoyed being closer to the water. Definitely a different view of things.

DONT DO IT! Had a cove on the Horizon. NEVER NEVER again!!! NOISE ALL NIGHT LONG and we were under the excursion desk figured how bad could it be! Did not sleep the whole trip! It was AWFUL! The engineers even came to our room many times in the middle of the night and could not detect where the noise was coming from. 

I know it's not what you asked, but I would never expect quiet in any cabin.  I've lost count of how many times I've sweated over the perfect cabin location only to be stuck with neighbours who have loud conversations on their balcony at all hours, slam their doors, let their kids run amok in the halls.  Not to mention those mystery ship noises, and all the creaking that goes on if the swell picks up.  So these days I just assume there'll be noise and make sure I'm prepared for anything with earplugs, noise cancelling headphones, and a white noise app.  This applies to land holidays, too.

• Like 4

Unless you have tender ports there won't be any noise from the anchor, it is not used when the ship docks at a pier. If you are far forward or aft enough you will experience some vibration and noise from the thrusters when arriving/departing port and possibly some mechanical noise from the line handling. Personally, I would rather deal with this kind of noise that only occurs for relatively brief moments on port days than being under/over the galley, music venue, deck where there may be chairs scraping, etc that may go on at all hours of the day and night. Staying aft what little engine noise you actually perceive isn't disruptive, more of a constant, soothing, white noise. Unless you have loud neighbors, staying far forward or aft has the advantage of much less foot traffic and disruptions of the fellow passenger variety.