Android on NCL-YES Another muddled conversation

A topic talked about a lot here and to me never really once and for all answered. This whole subject is really annoying overall but here we go again.

I'm only asking about Android. I know all about iMessage on iphone and how good it works at sea. I know for a fact on RCL I used my Android to get text messages and receive and make calls. But on NCL is has not been that easy. No overall luck on Bliss and Joy. Heading on Breakaway soon and suspect will see the same result. 

So does anyone have any recent experience on NCL using their Android to receive off shore text messages and receiving/making calls out to land?

Please share any help and what was used. I see Google Message was used with some luck maybe? Thanks  

I haven't tried really hard but the only Android messaging I have been able to do without being logged in to WiFi minutes (or having cell phone coverage, of course)  is Facebook messenger. And that hasn't been 100% reliable. Just text, no pictures when i HAS been working.

I have not heard of anyone making it work. But as I said it's not something I have thought a lot about. 

Of course, if you have unlimited Internet you could use Whatsapp both for calls and messages.

(I bought a cheap(ish) used iPhone to use while onboard since the people I want to stay in touch with have iPhones.)

Posted (edited)

I have the same issue as you. I have a Pixel 8 and use Google Message also.  Lots of my apps require text based dual authentication codes.  I have had no problems receiving text over WIFI while on RCL or MSC or Holland.  But on Star this April using my FAS free minutes, I could not receive any. I went to the internet desk and his only suggestion was to see if buying Premium would help (but he didn't think it would).  

The minute I stepped into a port and connected to any free WIFI, all my texts would be delivered. Same exact experience with attempts to use native android WIFI calling.

So it was something about the NCL WIFI that was blocking my texts.  

Kind of unrelated but I if I am connected to the ship free WIFI without being logged in (not using minutes), I still receive many of my notifications (ex. Ring Camera, NYT, FB Messenger) with previews of information, but they can't be opened. Basically nothing works for me without logging in - only the NCL App and NCL.com website.

Edited by pghflyer

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, hallux said:

While signed in to get internet access I've had very little trouble getting texts on my Pixel 7.

I think that is the key. You have to be signed on to the Internet and have your phone set up to get wi-fi messages. 

Edited by zqvol

Interestingly, on the Epic this spring, with Pixel 4a phones on GoogleFi service, we were able to send/receive messages (Message app) while logged onto ship wifi with phones in airplane mode.  This was between ourselves on ship, and from anyone else back home. 

We had to be logged on to the internet to use WhatsApp.

Our friends with iPhones had to be logged on to the internet to use iMessage.

I don't think there is a consistent answer across all NCL ships.

The Epic seemed to have some hole that let our Messages go through.  Also, and annoyingly, our Blink notifications came through in the middle of the night while on airplane mode.

I will have internet for sure. But odd last cruise on Joy no luck on the Android. It is frustrating on NCL.

I have and will have WIFI calling turned on the entire time. This trip I may flip the preferred network to WIFI instead of Cellular during my trip to see if that works. Thought I read someone did that with luck maybe? 

I have a Samsung Galaxy android phone.

In June/July on the Prima, I got on board the first day and activated my Free at Sea internet, using only 1 minute, then made sure I logged out.

I don't know if it was a glitch or not, but I was able to message my husband (on the ship) and my mother (back home in the US) through Google Voice message function and it did not reduce my allotted minutes.

I've heard that WhatsApp will also work. I didn't attempt Messenger.

I'm going to see if this will work on my upcoming cruise, although I'll buy unlimited internet on Day 3, because it's a transatlantic.

• Like 1

So far think I read above (unless I read wrong) someone was able to use normal Android messaging to receive and send texts to land.

How about get/make calls. That is my goal to find someone who has had this work outside of any special app like WhatsApp and FB msg.

On RCL, this is not a problem at all. 

FWIW, maritime WiFi onboard like other similar tech are evolving on an ongoing basis, the known iMessage loopholes has largely been closed (blocked) within the past 3 months as more reports come in from cruisers.  Without going too deep into the technical arena - suffice to say, IT administrators likely adopted and put in place different measures or configurations on how their onboard hardware/servers were handling & processing messages, within the ship's closed loop inTRAnet and external inTERnet that has to be relayed via available orbiting satellite signals (currently, mostly if not 100% converted fully to Starlink)  SMS is a TCP protocol that typically used port 80 (standard - http) or port 448 (secured - https) and messages were until recently, able to get thru, regardless of whether one is on ship's open WiFi inTRAnet or more reliably going thru WiFi inTERnet that's more secured.  

"Our" choice of hardware, whether it's based on iOS or Android, also played a role in how messaging were handled in conjunction with the carrier-specified configuration(s) for a given piece of mobile equipment.   It is fair to say, it's moving away from being unsecured & open access, rather - moving toward being closed & secured, even if it is not encrypted end-to-end.

The short answer, IMHO, what was established to be working 2 weeks ago on ship X isn't necessary true and valid anymore today onboard ship Y, both set to connect to ship's free WiFi inTRAnet and/or inTERnet -messaging might continue to work and it should, while being logged into one's onboard WiFi account with the "usage meter" running on the (un)limited WiFi inTERnet only.  It's just not possible to over-generalized broadly across the spectrum on what'll work and not work ... many variables and elements at play.  

Leaks on Android smartphone in being able to - sometimes - get in-bound message previews, SMS and graphics excluded, has given some of us an almost "free" ride while at sea for the past decade +  and nothing last forever.  

For the OP, case in point, Pixel smartphone are the exceptions when it comes to the ability to provide hotspot for data tethering over WiFi vs. iPhone and even other flagship Androids, including the Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus or the newest & also factory unlocked SG S24 with roaming data enabled and active. 

As for follow-up question on " How about get/make calls ... someone who has had this work outside of any special app like WhatsApp and FB msg "  That might've been true on RC but on NCL, against the odds and next to impossible as far as I am concerned ... have iPhone SE2022, Pixel 4a5G, Pixel 7 Pro, SS Galaxy S22 Plus and Galaxy S24 - not going to waste time to even suggest that the odds for success are minimal at best, rather next to zero.  Voice calling (non-VoIP) are different b/c of the "handshaking" protocols involved.  Your connection over the inTRAnet is free & WiFi calling is known to work if all the pieces of the puzzles fit together and aren't blocked - not a chance that regular calling over cellular bands can work as that involved inTERnet access, either on a metered basis using allocated minutes or the unlimited basic WiFi plan onboard NCL (premium "streaming" enabled plan is NOT necessary or required)

Of course, YMMV and I stand corrected otherwise.  

• Like 3

I was on prima earlier this year and had the premium Wi-Fi plan and had no problem texting with google messages and making phone calls with a Samsung Galaxy 22 ultra. I had Wi-Fi calling turned on in my phone. I made a phone call from my studio cabin and I was surprised call quality was pretty good.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wilycoyote76 said:

I was on prima earlier this year and had the premium Wi-Fi plan and had no problem texting with google messages and making phone calls with a Samsung Galaxy 22 ultra. I had Wi-Fi calling turned on in my phone. I made a phone call from my studio cabin and I was surprised call quality was pretty good.

So your preferred wifi calling was set to wifi? That might he my issue

1 hour ago, golf4me2010 said:

So your preferred wifi calling was set to wifi? That might he my issue

I checked my phone and it actually is set to cellular preferred but I have the phone in airplane mode with Wi-Fi on when I’m on the ship.

The simple facts are these (this is part of my work, I know what I am talking about):

- You need an Internet plan to be sure of getting any Internet messaging through

- SMS text messaging is not an Internet messaging protocol, it is a cellular phone protocol that does not work at all in airplane mode

- If you enable WiFi calling at home before you leave, you may have luck getting some messages through, but probably not all

- if you need text messages for multi-factor, find out if you can change the setting to email or an authenticator app before your cruise.

- Your carrier probably has a low cost travelers plan for free or $10-15 per day to use in ports - look it up

- Your plan may work in Mexico - call your carrier customer service

- Tourist WiFi will be ok at reputable places, but don't log into your bank or sensitive places.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

- SMS text messaging is not an Internet messaging protocol, it is a cellular phone protocol that does not work at all in airplane mode

Great points but who determines the text message format? I assume the sender. Google Messages (app) is RCS default and MMS/SMS failover. I know RCS only requires Internet connection and that SMS and MMS require cellular.  

The interesting thing is when I board the ship, I always turn airplane mode ON (cellular OFF) and WIFI ON.  So when I go to port, I am still only connecting to WIFI (not cellular).  So there is something about NCL WIFI (at least the minute-based, non-premium) blocking things not blocked by traditional land based WIFI.

From what I remember I bought their so called messenger plan so I could communicate with my mother in law through the app. Immediately thereafter I started getting texts notifications and found I was able to freely communicate with other android users but not DH who has an iPhone. I had an S22 then and used the messenger app. I can't recall if pics went thru, but I don't think so tho. This was about two years ago on the Jewel, haven't tested again since. 

On 8/8/2024 at 10:12 PM, wilycoyote76 said:

I checked my phone and it actually is set to cellular preferred but I have the phone in airplane mode with Wi-Fi on when 

On Breakaway now. My Android works with text messages and certain apps like blink and fb and WhatsApp.  All good texting and getting texts. No calls or pics or texting my wife on her iPhone. We just use fb messenger. 

Google messenger does not work for me. 

I wonder if it is a DNS issue or something, have you tried connecting over VPN while connected to your ship internet plan minutes? (My Pixel 8 has VPN available by default). Honestly this problem has me stumped for the most part.

37 minutes ago, pghflyer said:

I wonder if it is a DNS issue or something, have you tried connecting over VPN while connected to your ship internet plan minutes? (My Pixel 8 has VPN available by default). Honestly this problem has me stumped for the most part.

No haven't tried. Don't want to mess with what's working. 

To summarize,  have wifi calling on and preferred cellular then using the red android conversation app for text messages. FB Messenger and WhatsApp both work to and from non cruisers. Can't text my wife to her iPhone which I was aware from many other cruises but can connect via FB Messenger.  

Fyi.

What is the name of the "red android conversation app" that you are able to receive texts with?  Now you got me thinking it is a Google Messages app problem if you are receiving external texts through a different texting app (not an in-app messaging platform like FB Messenger and Whats App, which are totally different).

1 hour ago, golf4me2010 said:

Google messenger does not work for me. 

do you have RCS chats enabled in google messenger? I have that checked and i can send/receive text messages over the ship wifi with no issues. Google Voice also works too

RCS is what is used to send text messages over wifi instead of cellular network.