Booking a second cabin for a couple

DameB

I could swear I saw this question discussed here recently, but can’t locate the thread, so here goes.

My husband and I want to book a PG stateroom.  We would also like to book a nearby cheaper Britannia stateroom in one of our names, because we like having our own bathroom/quiet sleeping space.  It’s not a vacation if you have to queue for the bathroom, is my motto!

Apparently it’s verboten to have two cabins in one name? So our only choice is two PG staterooms if we want to both have PG perks? At least that is what the Cunard phone rep just told me.  But I seem to remember a poster here saying they were able to work out a similar scenario to what I want.  Maybe I need to keep calling until I get someone who can override the system?

There's been a few threads about that. Some folk on world cruises booking a nearby inside cabin for their luggage. And others who book a third person in a grills suite but don't actually want them sleeping there. So I think the phone rep gave the wrong answer.

I have heard that this has been done in the past. A second cabin for storage is the usually quoted reason. 

Are you talking directly to Cunard?  I would ring and try again. Eventually you will hopefully get somebody who can help. 

You could book two Princess Grill cabins for single occupancy but that seems excessively expensive. 

Howether you resolve this make sure both of your chosen cabins are marked not for upgrade or you could end up at different ends of the ship. It would be a long way when you realise your glasses are in the other cabin. 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

• Like 1

If you booked another cabin, I assume thy would charge you for 2 adults.  Why don't you each book a cabin as a 'single' and then decide your sleeping arrangements later?

Off Cunard website

Can I book adjoining staterooms for my family?

Yes, you can book two staterooms if you would like more space, or if there are more than four of you. We will do our utmost to ensure that your staterooms are next door to each other. Any children aged 12 and under need to stay in accommodation with an adult. Children aged 13 and over can share with an older child aged 16 or over. This might be the preferred option if you’re travelling with teenagers, so that they can enjoy their own space in a room next to your own.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ElmaLee said:

If you booked another cabin, I assume thy would charge you for 2 adults.  Why don't you each book a cabin as a 'single' and then decide your sleeping arrangements later?

Because they would need to be both Princess Grill cabins or only one of them would be allowed to eat in Princess Grill. 

@DameB It sounds like something a knowledgeable Travel Agent should be able to arrange. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Because they would need to be both Princess Grill cabins or only one of them would be allowed to eat in Princess Grill. 

@DameB It sounds like something a knowledgeable Travel Agent should be able to arrange. 

We have been considering linking up with a relative.

They would be the third person in our cabin but would have an inside too in their own name. Not the cheapest option as such but cheapest as far as a third person for QG.

• Like 3

I'd look at the deck plans for the specific ship you want to go on, figure out what you want to do, and then call Cunard (or your travel agent) back.  For example on QM2 there are interior cabins near the PG suites on Deck 10, but there are no balcony cabins on that deck.  On the other ships there are balcony cabins on the same deck and close to some PG suites.  I think if you talk with specifics you'll get a better answer than talking in generalities on this one.  I'm guessing you'll have to pay for 2 people in the Princess Grill, plus a single supplement for the other cabin unless you can convince them to somehow credit you for the fact that no Britannia meals will be eaten.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

To be specific we are hoping to book a QV PG suite on Deck 4 in both names, plus an additional ocean view stateroom a few doors away in just one of our names.

I just got off the phone with a travel agency phone rep who instantly knew what I was talking about.  She also told me that cruise lines won’t allow one passenger to be booked in two cabins because of security concerns—possibly 2 muster station assignments, passenger lists for authorities, and just keeping track of you.  

I actually read through Cunard’s entire contract of carriage(!) and there’s no specific reference to this scenario.  Wish I could hear directly from anyone who successfully was able to override this unwritten policy, boarded a cruise, and was able to check into two different cabins!

Edited by DameB
To add specifics
  • Like 1

Just now, Winifred 22 said:

Perhaps people who have done it have booked the staterooms as 2 individuals perhaps to get round the rules. 

That would be OK, if both cabins meant dining in the same restaurant.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DameB said:

She also told me that cruise lines won’t allow one passenger to be booked in two cabins because of security concerns—possibly 2 muster station assignments, passenger lists for authorities, and just keeping track of you.  

Have the travel agent call her contacts at Cunard and confirm this is the answer (and of course book the cruise with the travel agent if she gets you the answer you want to hear).

Edited by stan01

13 hours ago, DameB said:

To be specific we are hoping to book a QV PG suite on Deck 4 in both names, plus an additional ocean view stateroom a few doors away in just one of our names.

I just got off the phone with a travel agency phone rep who instantly knew what I was talking about.  She also told me that cruise lines won’t allow one passenger to be booked in two cabins because of security concerns—possibly 2 muster station assignments, passenger lists for authorities, and just keeping track of you.  

I actually read through Cunard’s entire contract of carriage(!) and there’s no specific reference to this scenario.  Wish I could hear directly from anyone who successfully was able to override this unwritten policy, boarded a cruise, and was able to check into two different cabins!

All of the security concerns are valid especially to passenger lists for immigration and evacuation purposes. Best course of action that I can see is book 2 connecting PG cabins.

3 hours ago, Poole Boy said:

Best course of action that I can see is book 2 connecting PG cabins.

Double check if Vista’s have connecting rooms. I don’t believe they do, especially PG. 
Your cabin attendant can open up the balcony dividers though. 

Best course of action is to exhaust every possibility of booking two cabins. a PG and an ocean view/an inside. There MUST be folk out there who have, say, a medical issue [snoring for Britain could be] a start and don't want to sleep in the same room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Best course of action is to exhaust every possibility of booking two cabins. a PG and an ocean view/an inside. There MUST be folk out there who have, say, a medical issue [snoring for Britain could be] a start and don't want to sleep in the same room.

There probably are, and if they both have the same grade Britannia etc, there should not be a problem as you would be in the same dining room, the problem appears to be when  you want cabins of different grades and hence different dining allocations.

1 minute ago, Poole Boy said:

There probably are, and if they both have the same grade Britannia etc, there should not be a problem as you would be in the same dining room, the problem appears to be when  you want cabins of different grades and hence different dining allocations.

Which is why all avenues should be looked at.

My parents had acquaintances years ago who booked two cabins on the QE2 world cruises, a QG and an inside. Admittedly that was decades ago and the inside was for clothes storage rather than a person but it was done.

Just now, Victoria2 said:

Which is why all avenues should be looked at.

My parents had acquaintances years ago who booked two cabins on the QE2 world cruises, a QG and an inside. Admittedly that was decades ago and the inside was for clothes storage rather than a person but it was done.

And it must have been in somebody’s name, or perhaps they just used C. Dior or the like.

30 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

And it must have been in somebody’s name, or perhaps they just used C. Dior or the like.

They were American so short of M.Mouse, maybe R Halston? 🙂

• Like 1

Just curious, if the issue is bathroom access, is it cheaper to book two PG cabins than one QG that has a second bathroom? I think on QV, one doesn’t encounter the second bathroom until the Q2 cabins, so it is quite likely the cost would be higher for the QG than two PG cabins. 

3 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

Just curious, if the issue is bathroom access, is it cheaper to book two PG cabins than one QG that has a second bathroom? I think on QV, one doesn’t encounter the second bathroom until the Q2 cabins, so it is quite likely the cost would be higher for the QG than two PG cabins. 

The Q1s are the only two  loo'd cabins on QV.

Why not post on the Roll Call?  If a couple is willing to rebook a double for two singles, you'll compensate them and then some.  They might have to get by with one key.

I'm intrigued as to how long the queue is to use the bathroom in a PG stateroom.

Having cruised many times with only one bathroom in the stateroom I cannot recall seeing any queues!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I KNEW this thread was going to degenerate into bathroom humor🤪

We’ll book 2 cabins in the same class…time to decide which class!

• Haha 2

Well, what do you know-- I emailed Cunard guest services and received this.

Dear Mrs ******

Thank you for your email.

I have checked this with our teams this side, and yes you can book two separate staterooms, one being a Princess Grill and and Oceanview.

The way we would need to do this is make the two bookings, the Princess grill will need to be in both of your names, the Oceanview would then have to be booked as sole occupancy so just maybe your husbands name on this one. We then need to link both bookings together.

We would then need to add notes into the Oceanview stateroom to advise this is a sleeping room so the loyalty status still updates.

If you want to make the booking with us please call our dedicated team on 03453 550 300 so we can assist with making sure the bookings are made correct.

Kind regards,

• Like 5