HAL introduces Signature Master Chefs Dinner

Whew, I'm glad this program won't be on the Westerdam until the fall; we're sailing in July.

I'm not a fuddy-duddy, but one of the reasons we chose HAL was because the experience is described as refined (but not stuffy).

We've sailed on cruises with this sort of entertainment before, thought it was silly, embarassing to the professional wait staff, and designed to distract from the mediocre quality of the food.

At least they're trying some new things. Instead of entertaining at dinner, maybe they could put the effort into their show entertainment product. We're new to HAL, but have read numerous places that the entertainment quality could be upgraded.

On the other hand, we think some of their innovations are brilliant. The Culinary Arts Center with the guest chefs really appealed to my DH. It seems like someone at HAL noticed the popularity of cooking shows and somehow came up with bringing the celebrity chefs onboard.

My sister, an amateur caterer, had no idea HAL had this type of program. She was absolutely sold on Celebrity until I told her about the demonstration kitchen on HAL. Guess which line she wants to try next time (I’m trying to get her to join us). She commented that every kitchen tour she's been on during a cruise was extremely popular; so this seems to be a natural spin off.

The four of us may be part of the demographic HAL is trying to appeal to. It worked on us.

It's tough to try to appeal to new customers while retaining the old ones. I give them kudos for making the effort (but am still glad we'll miss out on this latest innovation)

I don't understand the hysteria. No one is going to force anyone

to go to this. Personally, we are ambivalent to the idea.

As far as the burden on the staff is concerned, that is HAL's

orblkem and I am sure it has been researched by them.

We're hardly in hysterics - we're simply making our opinions known in a manner that the folks at HAL who read these boards will understand in no uncertain terms that we don't care for this at all.

And yes, if you're booked on a cruise that has one of these events - you kinda are almost forced to attend. Either you show up for dinner as usual and get hit w/ all the tackiness (Thanks, Dave) or you have remember to make arrangements to dine elsewhere on the ship.

No, I don't think this was "researched". It's clearly a carry-over from Chef Rudy's RCCL career.

Rudy needs a clear reminder that he works for HAL now...

Ed Sullivan ! I was a kid but I remember the show well. :)

Elvis, The Beatles, The Whirling Dervishes, all those jugglers with dishes on the sticks, Topo Gigio. Those were the days !

Ed Sullivan is one thing but this sounds more like the Gong Show. I really feel for the wait staff. Here I thought the Dance of the Baked Alaska was annoying.

Ed Sullivan is one thing but this sounds more like the Gong Show. I really feel for the wait staff. Here I thought the Dance of the Baked Alaska was annoying.

Gong Show !! I love it. LOL:D

Just had a thought, maybe the Indonesian crew show will now have jugglers, balancing acts and plate spinning!.....jean:cool:

LOL :D

I just read the press release to Mr. Gizmo. I cannot repeat on this board what he said. :rolleyes:

I'm glad it appears that the majority agree with my opinion on this. I have a couple of theoretical questions.

1) Do you think HAL will let cruisers know ahead of time which night this "Signature Event" is to take place so we can try to beat the rush to the Pinnacle Grill?

2) Those of you who have experienced the various trial incarnations of this.....PLEASE tell me it wasn't on a Formal night!

3) Do you think this will result in 1/2 to 3/4 empty dining rooms on the "Signature" nights? If so, will HAL change their mind about the whole deal? (Maybe before I'm on the Westerdam in October...Please?).

4) If this proves to be the fiasco I think it will be, will HAL send Chef Rudy packing?

I think I could do without the "Hello, Dolly" whirling dervish dinner, which does seem a bit much, but I do hope they don't do away with the "Baked Alaska Parade." Yes, I know it's corny but it is a tradition and sort of fun for those cruisers who are new to the scene. On the Alaska cruise in May we are bringing my roommate's sister who has never cruised before and I'll think she'll enjoy seeing it. Okay, kill me, I must admit I do too, and yes, I have put on the Dutch hat too!

What I really miss the most is having, if even not at the individual tables, at least returning the flaming dessert stations to the Explorers Lounge after dinner. I understand fire regulations (or at least that's how I understand it) prevents that these days.

What I really miss the most is having, if even not at the individual tables, at least returning the flaming dessert stations to the Explorers Lounge after dinner. I understand fire regulations (or at least that's how I understand it) prevents that these days.

There's no regulation against open flames inside...

...if that were the case, there'd be no cigarette lighters or Flaming Spanish Coffees allowed.

I think it's another "we don't make a profit on it..." deal.

BTW - Here's a pic of "Pepper Romaine" from another website. As you can see, there's a reason Rudy is an Executive Chef and not a Broadway Show Producer...

What an embarrassment!

fp60405-s.jpg.6a9e81890c27516933db29affcdff6be.jpg

BTW - Here's a pic of "Pepper Romaine" from another website. As you can see, there's a reason Rudy is an Executive Chef and not a Broadway Show Producer...

What an embarrassment!

Lettuce continue discussing this radishing beauty.

Couldn't resist!

OK, as usual I am going to disagree with the dozen or so HAL CC loyalists who are lambasting this idea, most of them without even experiencing it for themselves. It sounds like fun to me, the reviews that were posted here by people who saw it during beta test were generally positive (I recall reading lots of "I was surprised, but I liked it!" posts), and it hardly marks the end of civilization as we know it even if it flops.

I wonder if HAL would have faced this kind of rabid resistance to change if boards like this were so popular back when HMC was purchased. I can see it now: "HAL should spend their money on more hand-dipped chocolate desserts, not tropical islands!" "What makes HAL think they can provide a better Caribbean experience than the actual islands of the Caribbean?" "Boy, I'll have to book my spa appointments early for THAT day, because I'm sure not tendering to some virtually deserted wildlife refuge!"

Come on... Open your minds and give HAL a chance.

Iceman,

Oh, my word! That is definitely NOT the Master Chef's Dinner we had on the Amsterdam in January. It was far more "elegant" and "reserved" than that!

The Beta doesn't sound like what the press release is saying. Sure , some people like Kryos were positive. However, from her above statement it appears her MC dinner was very different. I would say the Beta's were not very valid.

If I want FUN there are always the "Fun ships" and of course RCL with their endless amusements.

I prefer some elegance, not Ed Sullivan type shows or Gong shows.

OK, as usual I am going to disagree with the dozen or so HAL CC loyalists who are lambasting this idea, most of them without even experiencing it for themselves. It sounds like fun to me, the reviews that were posted here by people who saw it during beta test were generally positive (I recall reading lots of "I was surprised, but I liked it!" posts), and it hardly marks the end of civilization as we know it even if it flops.

I wonder if HAL would have faced this kind of rabid resistance to change if boards like this were so popular back when HMC was purchased. I can see it now: "HAL should spend their money on more hand-dipped chocolate desserts, not tropical islands!" "What makes HAL think they can provide a better Caribbean experience than the actual islands of the Caribbean?" "Boy, I'll have to book my spa appointments early for THAT day, because I'm sure not tendering to some virtually deserted wildlife refuge!"

Come on... Open your minds and give HAL a chance.

I'm not against this Dinner simply because it is new...change is not always a bad thing.

Never sailed HAL prior to the HMC purchase...so I cannot relate to that.

I don't like the idea because having my dinner brought to me by a dancing waiter isn't my idea of a nice dinner.

Wine and good conversation is entertaining!

We like HAL because it is a little escape from the hectic world where we can have a quiet, relaxed meal with good food and good service.

I guess we should start looking to book our cruise soon on a ship that has not yet been infected with this new entertainment :eek:

If all else fails...how far in advance can you make reservations at the Pinnacle????

What an embarrassment!

Perhaps he's living out some boyhood dream????

~e

I wonder if HAL would have faced this kind of rabid resistance to change if boards like this were so popular back when HMC was purchased.

Let's see, you equate a mostly deserted semi-tropical island with what's been described as Chuck E. Cheese on a bad day - and you don't see the difference????

:eek:

Excuse me, I was on the Volendam in October and experienced what we were told was the first Master Chef Dinner -- I was less than impressed, the food was not particularly special, there were fewer choices than usual, normal dinner conversation was difficult due to repeated interruptions, the staff was VERY nervous and quite honestly you could see their show of participation and excitement with an underlayment of resentment as this is just one more thing that they have to do and one more thing that interferes with their ability to do their jobs well. I hated trying to wear that stupid hat, we could actually see very little of the theatrics or hear all of what was being said (sung) due to our dining location (which was one of those nice tables for 6 by the windows and up until that meal we considered our location in the dining room to be excellent).

Iceman, this is not resistance to change, it is an intrusion on the quiet elegance of the HAL dining room. Have you experienced this yet? It was much ado about nothing. I was there. I tried it and made a mental note to go elsewhere for dinner if it becomes a regular event.

Except for the hats and the special menu the old Dutch dinners were no intrusion at all into the meal -- an elegant though not always appreciated nod to the roots of HAL. This is nothing like that at all. Chuck E. Cheese describes it well.

Let each of the CC'rs try this event on their own. Some may actually be amused but it. I sure wasn't. True, those who have not done this should not judge prematurely. For my money, however, this is a ninety degree turn from the HAL that I have come to enjoy.

Well, we experienced the Master Chef Dinner on the Volendam in October. It may have been in the 'beta testing stage' at the time. It was an interesting experience. The food was a bit different, more adventurous, than what the dining room ordinarily served but the choices were more limited. However, we enjoyed the meal.

Our waiters seemed to like the variation in routine and our meal progressed at about the same speed as usual, if I remember correctly.

I am amused at the gushy prose of the press release. We were at an aft window table on the lower level of the dining room. We saw some napkin flourishing and a salad conga line, but whatever else went on, in the form of theatrical entertainment, was out of our view.

I would not boycott the dining room on Master Chef Night any more than I did on Dutch Night. (If I had done that, I would have missed out on discovering Bami Goreng.) I wouldn't want to miss a new or different experience that might be yummy or a lot of fun.

If they try to jazz up too many dinners with fancy themes, I might find that annoying.

I was also on Volendam last October when I think this dinner was done for the first time. We were a party of four returning from a wedding in Seattle to California. We were still in a party mood and had a blast. The food was better than usual, I remember the duck was much better than the rubber lobster tail the next night. I admit that it might not have been such fun had I been at a table for eight with others who wanted a traditional dinner.

HAL seems to have been having this dinner experience for 6 months on Volendam and it is hard to believe that they would be exporting it fleetwide if they had had bad reviews on the surveys.

I agree more with the negativity on this one than with those who want us to keep an open mind. This is just crass entertainment. I loved the one reference to Chuck E. Cheese because that's the thought that went through my head. The adult version of it. I think the point most posters have here is that they come to HAL for the classy experience and there's nothing classic about singing and dancing vegetables.

If another thread elsewhere is making fun of this event then you know its going to be the joke of the high seas sooner or later.

I agree more with the negativity on this one than with those who want us to keep an open mind. This is just crass entertainment.

Like I said, the Master Chef's Dinner I attended was nothing like what is outlined in this press release. It was a very toned-down affair ... pretty much a special menu ... the waiters dressed up in chef's hats, and chef's hats provided for the passengers at each place setting (no, I did not wear mine). I don't recall any of this "entertainment" people are talking about. Of course, it could be that I was so busy eating, that I didn't notice a bit of entertainment? But, it certainly couldn't have been anything too intrusive or I am sure I would remember it.

I seem to think that the Parade of the Baked Alaska was far, far more intrusive than the Master Chef's Dinner that I attended.

Blue skies ...

--rita

ADj. Orbikem... or-bik-em ;)

a bad typist talking to his wife - (I hope this is not a double post)

Spent 15 min trying to find the "Dutch" word orbikem..Tried to spell it five different ways...Then spent another half hour trying to find out what language it was..:o

How about we start a new language, but what can we call it...I do like this word:) Orbikem...

Happy Cruising all..

Realize I'm in the minority, but it sounds like fun to me!;)

Will not pass judgment until I experience it for myself..

Even though I'm in the Older population, I can still enjoy fun things! I'm one of those who wears a costume when attending a Halloween Party or a 1920's Costume when attending a Roaring 20's Party..:D

To each his own..Betty

Well, Betty, there are two of us .. I would like to experience it as well ... some seem to think that the staff won't enjoy it, but I think they WILL enjoy it .. gives them something different ... for a change. I think it will be fun! Looking forward to it.

Charbie

Archived