Buying bottles of booze on board?

Mary Jane 711

Does anyone remember, or know, if you can still buy a bottle of booze from room service or whatever onboard and have it delivered to your room? I did this on the Regal and it was better than sneaking it onboard. I am going on the Dawn in Dec. and was wondering:rolleyes: .

Does anyone remember, or know, if you can still buy a bottle of booze from room service or whatever onboard and have it delivered to your room? I did this on the Regal and it was better than sneaking it onboard. I am going on the Dawn in Dec. and was wondering:rolleyes: .

As far as I know, no liquor is sold by the bottle on board. I have pre ordered bottles thru the cruise line and that worked out very well. Just call room service and it is delivered, with whatever mix you want. It is expensive but avoids a real hassle.

I might add, all of the cruise lines are getting very very tough about sneaking it aboard.

We have never pre-ordered through the cruise line and just call room service when we board. The bottle (or bottles) are delivered promptly. Also, we found the pricing not outrageous.

As far as I know, no liquor is sold by the bottle on board. I have pre ordered bottles thru the cruise line and that worked out very well. Just call room service and it is delivered, with whatever mix you want. It is expensive but avoids a real hassle.

I might add, all of the cruise lines are getting very very tough about sneaking it aboard.

what is up with this answer.....you have just said 2 completely conflicting things......

Princess does not do any "pre-ordering" except for small 375ml bottles with mix. You can still get full sized bottles on board.

We have never had bottles taken away from us when we have embarked at the start, or come back aboard in a port stop and have openly carried bottles with us.

It depends on where you live! We just got back from the Amazon on the Regal. Talking to friends on Cruise Critic before we went they (all Americans) were saying how they had pre-ordered the booze on the forms provided with their pre-cruise docs. As I didn't have a form I contacted Princess UK to be told it wasn't offered to anyone in the UK. Luckily we got round it because one of our American friends ordered ours for us.

Trish

Just FYI, when we bought liquor in Curacao, to bring home as a gift, it WAS taken from us, and returned the last night. Ours wasn't the only bottle taken, Princess could have opened a liquor store right there at the gangway! :)

We sailed on the Dawn in February. We ordered a litre of J&B Scotch from room service. Only cost $25 and it was delivered promptly without the normal 15% tip applied. Sure beats trying to sneak duty free aboard. We also found the Princess Duty Free prices were very competitive even though you didn't get it until the last night. Hope this helps.

Pioneer

• 1 month later...
We sailed on the Dawn in February. We ordered a litre of J&B Scotch from room service. Only cost $25 and it was delivered promptly without the normal 15% tip applied. Sure beats trying to sneak duty free aboard. We also found the Princess Duty Free prices were very competitive even though you didn't get it until the last night. Hope this helps.

Pioneer

Is there an online catalogue or list as to what liquour is available thru room service and the current prices?

Just got back from Caribbean Princess Sat. 4/29. Ordered liter bottle of Crown Royal from room service. Was delivered promptly. Only $25.

Wow - It was a liter bottle, not a 375 ML? If so, that's a great deal! I hope they have it available to us on our Crown Sailing next month!

Is there an online catalogue or list as to what liquour is available thru room service and the current prices?

I have never seen a published list of liquor that may be available through room service or the lobby bar. Princess appears to be a line with a liquor policy in transition. Some have reported that you can still purchase 1-liter bottles for delivery to the room and some have said the practice is being dropped. We sailed on Princess earlier this year and here is the information I brought back at that time ...

I don’t know if there is a direct correlation between what is available at the bars/lounges and what you can order through room service. I believe the liquor sold in the duty free shop is available through room service and that seems to vary from ship-to-ship. I do know that the brands available were different on Golden vs. Grand. I don’t think you will be able to get an answer to your question that covers all ship and every itinerary.

Here’s what I do know … The standard bar menu for the March 4th sailing of Grand had the following liquor available at the bar:

Bourbon – Canadian Club, Crown Royal, Jack Daniels Black Label, Jim Beam, Seagram’s 7 Crown, Seagram’s V.O., Wild Turkey

Cognac – Courvoisier Napoleon, Courvoisier VSOP, Remy Martin VSOP, Remy Martin XO

Gin – Beefeater, Bombay Sapphire, Tanqueray

Rum – Appleton Estate, Bacardi Limon, Bacardi White, Captain Morgan’s Spiced, Cruzan Coconut Rum

Scotch – Chivas Regal (12 years old), Chivas Royal Salute (21 years old), Cragganmore Single Malt, Dalwhinnie Single Malt, Dewars White Label, Glenkinchie Single Malt, Glenfiddich Single Malt, J&B Rare, Jameson Irish Wiskey, Johnnie Walker Black, Johnnie Walker Red, Talisker Single Malt

Tequila – 1800, Jose Cuervo Gold

Vodka – Absolut, Absolut Citron, Absolut Kurant, Absolut Raspberri, Absolut Vanilia, Grey Goose, Grey Goose Orange, Smirnoff, Stolichnaya

The duty free store, and possibly room service, had many of these for sale but not all. They didn’t have all the Absolut varieties available in the duty free. Additionally, they did have Malibu for sale in the duty free but it isn’t listed anywhere else.

We bought three 1-liter bottles of Grey Goose to take home and paid about $26 each.

Like everything else on a cruise … if you need to have it and you aren’t sure if it will be available on the ship then bring it with you.

When we were in Huahine, my DH found two bottles of a type of Grand Mariner that isn't sold in the states(it had a yellow ribbon and seal) and is their version of triple sec. We carried on board, even put it through the metal detector. Never had a peck of trouble with it. It was a great gift and very well received at home. Mybe it was the laid back sense in Tahiti, but we weren't questioned or anything.

This was a far cry from when I tried to board with an apple (leftover from an excursion lunch) in NZ. The beagle sniffed me out and they took the apple from me. Had trouble at the next port as well because the beagle could still smell the apple in the knapsack. Noticed while I was surrendering by poor apple that it had lots of alcoholic company.

Charlie

The pre order gift packs and mixers are expensive! Bottles from Room Service are very competitive IF they have your brand. Not all bar brands are available through room service. At least this was the case Jan. on the Grand.

now here's a subject that I know something about:D

Yeah, there is a particular bar that you can buy bottles from at reasonable prices...I buy Bacardi a 1.14 bottle for $20, they're not supposed to auto grat bottle sales but almost always still try, I don't mind tipping and always do, but it just annoys me when they do it when they're not supposed to.

I remember on the Regal the bar on Plaza deck across from the pursers desk is where you buy it and on the Grand....well I don't remember....and on the Coral....don't remember....too much rum I guess, but just ask any bartender, which bar sells the bottles....I thought room service only sold the 375ml bottles and turned out being more expensive, but now I'll have to ask because I always get looks when I am walking back to my cabin with a bottle of rum in my hand....like "where did he get that?"

On the Coral, the bar that sells bottles is the one outside the anytime seating dining room. This is the same bar that has the coffee--espresso, mochas, etc. We had pre-ordered ours and it was delivered to our room as soon as we got there. Room steward brought it right after he introduced himself.

On the Coral, the bar that sells bottles is the one outside the anytime seating dining room. This is the same bar that has the coffee--espresso, mochas, etc. We had pre-ordered ours and it was delivered to our room as soon as we got there. Room steward brought it right after he introduced himself.

How do you pre-order bottles? Would like to look into it and the price sounds reasonable and I don't have to worry about trying to sneak booze on board.

HotJet. . . you don't have to pre-order. Just call room service and order a liter bottle when you board or go to the Lobby Bar and buy it. If you pre-order you can only get packages that contain 375 ml bottle plus some mixer for $17. The liters will run between $20 and $30 depending on what you order. A much better deal.

I literally just got an email from Princess today about our cruise next month. They provided a list of on board services and I quote from there email:

"For those of you who wish to enjoy a relaxing drink in the privacy of your stateroom, bottles of liquor and stateroom bar packages are available for purchase at non-duty-free prices through room service, from designated bar locations, or through our stateroom packages."

That should clear up any questions.

The weird thing is someone just posted a review of her Saphirre cruise 6/3 (she's still on it I guess) and claims that she was NOT able to order alcohol on board and had to go through quite a song and dance to get some vodka.

You can find it above. (well below after I post!)

I literally just got an email from Princess today about our cruise next month. They provided a list of on board services and I quote from there email:

"For those of you who wish to enjoy a relaxing drink in the privacy of your stateroom, bottles of liquor and stateroom bar packages are available for purchase at non-duty-free prices through room service, from designated bar locations, or through our stateroom packages."

That should clear up any questions.

Did they include a list of available brands and prices?

We just got off the Coral 2 wks ago, and you can only order the 375 ml drink pkg. The Patisierre bar doesn't sell bottles anymore, and the duty free bottles will be held until the last day of the cruise. We had no trouble taking liquor on board at any ports. We took 6 large bottles of wine on in Ft Lauderdale.

From all the posts I have read on this board and others, Princess is changing their policy to restrict onboard purchases to the small bar packages from room service.

As others have posted, if in doubt, bring it with you. :)

Archived