Galaxy/Mercury condition of ship. Your thoughts?

Galaxy/Mercury condition. How would you rate it?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Galaxy/Mercury condition. How would you rate it?

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D

There have been many threads about Galaxy and Mercury on these boards of late and with particular reference to their condition. I'm not a great lover of polls, but thought it might be a useful excercise to poll those that had been on them and what they felt their condition was like. Very simple school report choices as to what you thought. I haven't segregated each ship and I'm not sure if this is a mistake, but the comments flowing from the boards seem to encompass both, so let's see what we get.

Phil

Hi Phil~ Mercury could definitely use a freshening up. What I'm talking about is "soft goods". Upholstery is in need of replacement in many common areas, and bedspreads and drapes are faded and tired. I don't think these are areas where a huge investment would be involved....at least in the big scheme of things. Personally these are not make or break issues for me but leave an impression, nonetheless. Now...don't ask me about bleach, taking away a lot of the venues that are supposed to make Celebrity special, etc....you'll not find the same ability to look past them to a bigger picture!

Nan

Phil, I'm one of the 2 who voted A-, but only for GALAXY. I've no experience with MERCURY.

GALAXY is a lovely ship, but some venues could use freshening, such as the theater seating and carpeting and cabin soft goods and mattresses.

JMHO

Thanks for doing this! :)

Cheers,

Since our most recent experience is with Mercury and Galaxy was new when we were on her, I can comment overall that I thought Galaxy was a much prettier ship.

As for the condition or Mercury, it's time for a freshening. Aside form the ship being plain and I prefer a bit more glamour, I'd not sail her again without a refreshining in the cabins. Some of it is a bit worn there and in some of the public rooms, and some of the colors and fabrics used in the cabins and the public areas are just plain dated. :o

We have been on all three Century class ships in the past 13 months and all three are holding up very well. Service and cuisine is an A; condition of the ships is an A-; "bang for the buck" is an A+.

I still prefer the Millennium class ships, but these three are still great in their own unique way.

Looking forward to the "new" Century!

Enjoy!

Kel

We found Mercury to be in A condition last April. :)

Have not sailed on Galaxy yet. :o

Oh... and Century was just perfect! (3 years ago)

so I'm commenting rather than voting, because they are not comparable. Galaxy, as I wrote in my review of 4/1/06 Panama Canal cruise, needs a LOT of fixing up ... and it takes a lot for me to say this, as I am ****NOT**** the type who goes around paying a lot of attention to such things. Mercury (we sailed in late August/early September '05) OTOH had only a few sore spots (have they finally replaced the S in the Palm SpringS Grill sign?) -- TR

Don't know a thing about Galaxy but I feel anyone taking Mercury before its next drydock is going to be sorely disappointed! This ship is tired and looks it! There is not a comfortable seat in any public seating area and upholstry and bedding is worn and frazzled. Also, I was sooooo disappointed in their art work on this ship. Very plain and boring (of course being covered in bleach didn't make it look any better!)

We have been on both the Mercury and Galaxy. Both are really in need of new mattresses and actually all bedding. The Galaxy is holding up much better. We are booked on her for this Christmas/New Years and I sure hope they freshen the ship up before that.:eek:

Hi Phil:) Can I vote AFTER my upcoming cruise?;)

I sail Mercury 2 weeks from TODAY:D

Quote:

"Don't know a thing about Galaxy but I feel anyone taking Mercury before its next drydock is going sorely disappointed"

Well, the last time I sailed her was back in March 2004. I have no

idea when the last drydock took place.

This will be my first trip to Seattle and my first Alaskan cruise. I

have no plans of being disappointed though. A tired ship? Maybe so...

but if my service and food and that wonderful itinerary have anything

to do with it....I will be having an excellent time!:)

How many points deduction for the windows in the Stratosphere Lounge on the Galaxy? :)

The windows are pretty bad....but since we will be in the Carribbean I won't spend much time indoors....the stratosphere is a great quiet place during the day to read. :)

I was on the Mercury a few years ago for an Alaska cruise. I found the ship tired - the bedspread in our suite was ripped and the carpet stained. The ship itself was blah.

We found the food to be mostly adequate. The entertainment and lectures were very good, however.

I probably will never go on Celebrity again after this experience. I felt that compared to Carnival - you expect minimal and get it - here I expected to be treated as a queen and was a peasant.

Thanks to those that have voted and commented so far. Sheila, it is sort of panning out the way I thought it would. Quite an array of scores which mirrors what the posts have been here, just more of a sample and in an easier to read format.

Lisa, your comment is an interesting one:

How many points deduction for the windows in the Stratosphere Lounge on the Galaxy? :)

I suspect that for some, the score would go from and A to a C and for others perhaps only down to an A-. That may go some way to explaining the differences in the marks.

For the record, I scored "A-".

Phil

Phil

I still find it interesting that appox half the poll list the current conditions as being rated B or below.. Hardly what you'd expect from a cruiseline that likes to bill itself as "Premium" ..

Its one thing to advertise something as "top of the class" or "Premium", apparently it's quite another thing to deliver it. (atleast according to half the people polled)

Srpilo

I have voted and commented already and I am not sure how many have the opportunity to see same owned product and competitor product.

I am in a business that relies on maintaining good customer relations and satisfaction, yet in this other industry the criteria for sucess is no different...the desire to make people want to stay and come back.

It seems X has a very, very loyal following and they succeed at that, in spite of the fact that the physical conditions are not first class, and an eye for that will reveal this to be so....

In keeping in a hospitality business-like mentality, it costs money to make the improvements and keep things fresh, and if X can keep thier customers happy while deferring the capital costs as much/long as possible, well then WOW, I am sure they are very happy with that advantage.;)

Phil

I still find it interesting that appox half the poll list the current conditions as being rated B or below.. Hardly what you'd expect from a cruiseline that likes to bill itself as "Premium" ..

Its one thing to advertise something as "top of the class" or "Premium", apparently it's quite another thing to deliver it. (atleast according to half the people polled)

Srpilo

Finely Cruising has said in a different way what I was thinking. The thing I would say is that whilst there does seem to be a lower score than perhaps you would expect, it is of course a poll of ship condition rather than overall cruise experience which would include such things as food, service and general ambience. You could read into the lower scores that those people didn't enjoy the overall cruise experience and the higher scorers did, but then that is just supposition on my part. Perhaps the phrase "there are lies, damn lies - and statistics" attributed more accurately to Disraeli than Mark Twain is appropriate;)

Phil

Hi Phil:) Can I vote AFTER my upcoming cruise?;)

I sail Mercury 2 weeks from TODAY:D

Hi Lois:) Of course you can defer your vote for when you are back. I haven't put a time limit on the poll. I think I may know already roughly what your score will be though;)

Phil

Hi Phil, well maybe I have been very lucky on all my sailings? All

have been between an A- and a B+.

Of course I realize nothing is ever perfect but you are correct,

I am (hopefully) going to have another wonderful cruise:)

And I would like to take a moment to say how happy I am to see

you on here again:) Your handsome face has been missed

(and that marvelous personality is a welcome sight too)

Archived