I was told By an NCL rep. that most returning cruisers book inside cabins.

fdk71265

My wife and I took 2 cruises with Ncl and had mid-ship oceanview picture window rooms. I called to inquire about another cruise and the inside cabin mid-ship was about $842.00 for 2 people. While the oceanview room was $1252.00 the difference is one is 5 ft. away across the hall on the same deck. The Ncl rep said that 65% of returning cruisers don't book window or balcony they book inside cabins because you spend so little time there. Is this true? I love the window but 400 bucks to spend on fun and drinks is 400 bucks to spend. I would like to hear from people who book only inside after having outside cabins or people to talk about what the inside is like without a view of daylight. Thanks

Yes this is definitely the case. The main reason is that insides are the affordable way to travel and I can take more trips that way 2-3 a year. That being said, I have ended up more than half the time with outside, or balcony, and on a couple of occasions, suite/penthouse cabins. I never plunk down money initially for the outside cabins unless they were the same price as insides. If you haven't been to an area before then go for it. I have been to the Carribean 30+ times though and to dozens of islands so there is nothing I have to see from my window.

Alaska would definitely be a place to have a view. BUT we booked Alaska for about 1000+ less on an inside cabin and spent our time on deck. That is the only time I have wished I had balcony for the view. The cruise I leave on June 3, I booked inside. I have, however, a balcony cabin now. YES I ALWAYS book cheapest initially which is usually an inside.

I have cruise many times and I have had only 1 inside cabin...I want to have a view of the ocean and I like to see if the sun is up, if it is raining and cloudy right from my bed. So for me paying extra to have what I want is worth it. I believe it is all in what you want to pay. Inside cabins are always cheaper hence the reason they would sell faster. So for me outside is the only way to go...

I would agree that many return cruisers do the inside room. These are repeats cruisers vs. one time deals and know they can travel more often and spend more money on other things if they save on the room.

No doubt seeing the sun, having fresh air, ocean breeze is nice, but for hundreds if not thousands of dollars? To each his own. By the way, there are still a very high number of inside rooms on each ship. Ever notice as you walk down the hall that oceanview/balcony cabins are on one side and right across the hall are inside rooms. Seems to be just about the same number of cabin doors on each side. The cruiselines LOVE to advertise about how many outside cabins they have, and even though some ships have a high number, overall it is not as high as it seems.

It depends. I have been upgraded, and I have paid to upgrade as an upsell. An upsell is a great big sale price on a cabin. The risk you run doing this though is that if it high season, there may be no upgradable rooms available. A cruise that is selling very briskly and all holiday cruises are usually like this. The only thing I would tell you is always book a cabin you can live with. If you have the opportunity to amend you reservation later and improve your category because prices drop or something like that, that is just icing. . While I prefer outside (OK Penthouses really!), I have had insides on cruises too. Insides have advantages like darkness for sleep and I sleep better in those cabins to be honest! On the NCL SUN I purposely book their superior inside cabin because at 191 sq. ft. it is bigger than even the balcony cabins. You have to be in a suite to get a bigger room than this inside cabin. I was able to change to a suite last time but had booked that superior inside again and would have been happy had I not had the opportunity to upsell.

don't book a balcony! Once you do you will have a hard time going back! I would think the difference between and inside and ocean view is minimal. If you spend time sitting on the bed looking out the window and enjoy it spend the extra money. One of my friends sailed first in an oceanview and then an inside and prefers the inside because the room stays darker and they can rest better. Take a flashlight for the midnight journey to the bathroom. We booked a balcony first cruise and have then booked 5 other balconies or minisuites and two ocean views. I can tell you once you go balcony it is hard to go back! My favorite thing is to have breakfast on my balcony as the ship is pulling into port. no matter what you choose it will be great because you are on a cruise!

We have been in both inside and outside cabins. For me, it doesn't make enough difference to spend that much more just for a window. We do not spend much more time in our room than for sleeping, showering and dressing.

The benefit of having an inside room is the darkness for sleeping. If you want to see what the weather is outside, turn on the TV to the channel that shows the front of the ship.

But everyone has their own ideas, so it's a good thing there is a lot of variety to choose from!

Hikini

As a TA, I don't think I have had 10 repeat clients who have booked inside and certainly never one that started out with an outside. The same is true with balconies, once a balcony, most times always a balcony. There are always exceptions and always the possibility of an upgrade with or without an additional charge but I am floored to hear a rep say "repeat cruisers go for inside cabins" If this is the case I just learned something; I guess I am not too old to learn. FDK, I know you were not pleased with your last cruise and are now considering an inside on the Dream. I am not the one making the choice, you are, but with the experience you just had I would recommend you stick with outside. Remember the Dream is an older ship: I know the price is a big difference but my gut feeling is; if you choose inside you will not be very satisfied. NMNita

I've only taken balconies so far, depending on my experience next week in an interior, I'll decide if I go back to balconies or not.

I can see how the agent would say that though, it makes sense. You're barely in your cabin, but still, I think a lot of people appreciate and would miss the space of the room and the luxury of a balcony. I'm hoping I don't miss it so I can save money on all my future cruises by just booking the cheapest interior. :)

If you don't spend much time in your cabin, then an inside cabin makes sense. However, I enjoyed the time I spent on my balcony. It is up to you, if a window is not worth $400 than a window is not worth $400.

I think you won't spend much time in your cabin if you have an inside, why would you? But if you are in a balcony, I'd guess most would spend more time in their cabin. That has been our experience anyway.

I prefer at least an OV for the natural light, especially to wake up to. In the darkness of an interior, I could sleep until noon everyday!

kitty

We did the repo cruise to Vancouver from San Franciso on the Sun last week in our first interior cabin (we had the big Superior Interior), because we knew there wouldn't be that much to see on this trip. We soon decided that our inside would be the first AND last inside for us. We aren't big on games and activities, but we love reading and just watching the world go by from a window or a balcony. We were so excited to get back on the Sun in Seattle for our Alaska cruise in our beautiful aft mini-suite. We sat out on the balcony for hours.

I've been on 3 cruises, all balcony cabins. I love the balcony for many reasons but my last cruise it proved to be a total waste of money. We had a non-stop cigar/cigarette smoker right next door:(. I'm not stating this to cause trouble just a fact so my next cruise we have 2 ocean view rooms. We will be happy with that as we only care about seeing daylight. On one trip we put our daughter and her 2 friends in an inside room and they didn't complain at all about not having daylight.

The best part will be, as many of you have stated, the savings. We'll be able to spend the extra money in the spa, at the bar, etc.:D!

We have been on several cruises- started out with an oceanview then a mini-suite and then a Suite on Costa. Last year I took my daughter on a last-minute cruise and booked an inside because it was all that was left and was too good a deal to say no to! All the cabins have been fine and the inside was no exception for just the 2 of us. We actually slept quite well as it was so dark. Next month we are all (2 adults and 2 kids) sailing on the Dawn and have booked an AB Penthouse Suite so we have lots of room! Somehow I think it will be hard to sail in anything less after that! For us, the perks that go along with a suite (priority tendering and embarkation etc) along with the extra room with the 2 kids mean make the suite worthwhile. It is also nice to have a balcony to sit on when you want to be outside but away from the crowds and noise on deck!

This is an interesting discussion. I think it just depends on the type of person and what they are looking for. I know a lot of people that like to go-go-go while on vacation, so an inside cabin makes sense as it's only used for sleeping and showering. As for myself, I prefer a cabin with as many amenities as possible because I am on the cruise to relax, unwind, escape from the fun on the ship. With that said I usually book suites. Another factor is money, I can really only handle one or two cruises per year (if that!) so the idea of booking an inside cabin in order to cruise more frequently doesn't work for me, but I am glad it does for others!! :)

I feel that the decision to choose an inside vs a balcony depends on the itinerery of the trip. Cruises that are very port extensive such as the Med and Hawaii, we opt for an inside since you are off of the ship every day. Cruises that have a lot of at sea time we take a balcony. Our reasoning is that we actually have time to spend sitting, enjoying the veiws on two/three port cruises, if you don't have time then why spend the money? Also, on a port intensive cruise we will be spending more on shore expenses, so the lower price of the inside cabin balances out the extra shore expenses. The only time we get an outside (window only) cabin is when we get upgraded to one, Its just not worth the extra money for the window only.

By the way, for people who have never cruised in an inside, you can't believe how well you sleep, and also if you study the deck plans you can find inside cabins that are just as spacious as outside cabins. Modern ships are built with most cabins being the same size anyway.

I guess it is more important to me to be able to go on two cruises than to splurge on a suite on one. It is all just a matter of prioritys.

don't book a balcony! Once you do you will have a hard time going back! I would think the difference between and inside and ocean view is minimal.
Agreed! I've only cruised once, but since it was our honeymoon, my wife and I decided to splurge and get a balcony. We absolutely loved it. Even though there were instructions otherwise, we left the balcony door cracked open all week when we slept - the sea air in our cabin was wonderful, we loved it. And sitting on the balcony when coming into port really is very nice. When we were getting ready to cruise again we first wanted an inside cabin, as they've been recommended to us as price leaders and I know a lot of people actually prefer them for the better sleeping. But as we looked for a cruise we kept checking the prices on balcony cabins, and found a really good deal. We'll have a balcony again. Next time? Who knows..... :)

We've been in full suites for 2 cruises, 1 mini suite, a balcony, an outside and our very first cruise was in an inside.

My parents were in an inside on the POAm and it really wasn't too bad. We had a great balcony but the cruise was so port intensive and all the sailing was at night so we didn't use it much. If I were to go to Hawaii again- I would absolutely book an inside and use the money on other things.

I am actually considering an inside for our next cruise and booking a longer vacation with the extra bucks. There are some insides on upper decks that are a few steps away from all the action. Maybe we woud spend more time socializing and less time watching movies in our suite:D

I'll just have to remember a nightlight...

I agree with those who say that once you have experienced a balcony, it's hard to go back to an inside cabin. I also find little difference between an inside cabin and oceanview which I consider least worth the price.

The best deal we have had on an inside cabin were the "J" cabins on some HAL ships which are mid-ship on the all-around promenade deck. Our cabin was only steps away from what we considered the largest "verandah" on the ship with lots of padded lounge chairs. Those inside cabins were a bargain.

We have never been in an inside cabin. We were booked in one once but got upgraded (for free) before we reached the ship.

I figure it is vacation...why would I not splurge on the accomodations? :cool:

Karen...is that sort of like, get a "night" life. :rolleyes:

PE<---believes once you have a butler it is hard to go back to the old way...

Our first cruise was an inside cabin, and we decided we never wanted to fight for deck chairs again. From there we went to a balcony, and we really love having our own private sunning and eating area outdoors. Plus, it's great if you have a little one who is ready for bed before you are. You can go outside and still enjoy the night and sea, yet be close enough not to worry.

But the joke's on us -- dh was determined not to fly to our next cruise, so we're on the Majesty, without any balconies. This is our first cabin with just a window, so we'll see how we like it.

I'm only going once a year at the most, so I wouldn't pick an inside cabin in the future. We do spend plenty of time in the room. Again, probably also depends on your family, ages of children, etc.

Archived