NCL Crown SOLD

tiggrrr

It's official at last.............

Norwegian Crown is sold to Fred. Olsen

25/5/2006

Star Cruises reached an agreement to sell Norwegian Crown to Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, effective in August. Star will charter the ship back from Fred. Olsen and Norwegian Cruise Line will continue to operate its announced deployment until November 2007.

The 34,000gt Norwegian Crown is owned by Star Cruises along with four other mid-sized vessels also operated by NCL and Orient Lines. These ships are on inter-company charter between Star and NCL. Last week, NCL announced Norwegian Wind will transfer in late April 2007 to Star to become SuperStar Aquarius, based in Hong Kong.

We have been expecting some bad news for some time.

Let's review the recent transfers into and from the NCL fleet.

Norwegian Spirit entered May 2004 (+1)

Norwegian Sea left June 2005 (0)

Pride of America entered June 2005 (+1)

Norwegian Jewel entered August 2005 (+2)

Pride of Hawaii entered April 2006 (+3)

Norwegian Pearl will enter in December 2006 (+4)

Norwegain Wind will leave in April 2007 (+3)

Norwegian Crown will leave in November 2007 (+2)

Norwegian Gem will arrive in late 2007 (+3)

It appears the NCLA fleet is the expansion of NCL.

From a crew manning point of view:

The Spirit International crew came from the Sky

The Pride of Aloha was a new American crew

The Pride of America was a new American crew

The Norwegian Jewel Intrernational crew came from the Norwegian Sea

Pride of Hawaii is a new American crew

The Norwegian Pearl International crew will be accomodiated late from the Norwegian Wind

The Norwegian Gem International crew will come from the Norwegian Crown.

I realise that the crews don't transfer directly from ship to ship, but here's where NCL is getting the numbers of crew members to man these ships. The International crew numbers are expanding as well as the newer ships are larger and require more crew members than the older ships being transferred or sold.

GREAT NEWS:

Starting 2008, there is a reason to go to Bermuda out of NYC on NCL.

I don't know about you, but standing on the deck of the Dawn and looking over at the Crown, I found it very hard to book the Crown since it looked like the Dawn's tender.

When she was the flagship of the late Royal Cruise Lines, the Crown Odyssey was a lovely ship.

We sailed on her twice, first time to the Mexican Riviera, 1988, while she was under the Greek flag, and second time on a trans-Atlantic, 1990, while she was under the Bahamian (I think) flag.

And I hate to see the Sun doing Hawaii; one of my favorite ships, but Hawaii isn't one of my favorite destinations: I know, I am a little wacky (my new favorit word) I just have never been a big fan of Hawaii, nor is the rest of our family. NMNita

Nita, i thought i was the only one! Went to Hawaii 2 years ago (on the Wind, love her!) and said to myself, What is all the fuss about? I will admit Kauai was beautiful but i would never fly so far again when i can have virtually the same thing in the Caribbean only 2 1/2 hours away!:D

The Majesty is still around, but the rumours are she will be sold to Louis lines, I haven't a clue when.

Only five NCL ships have intineraries posted past the summer of 2007, the Pearl out of Miami and the four out of Honolulu: Pride of Aloha, Pride of America, and Pride of Hawaii, plus the Sun.

We should know more soon, as NCL should be posting intineraries past next summer within the month.

And I hate to see the Sun doing Hawaii; one of my favorite ships, but Hawaii isn't one of my favorite destinations: I know, I am a little wacky (my new favorit word) I just have never been a big fan of Hawaii, nor is the rest of our family. NMNita

Ditto on that one........and I have to fly from the East Coast:eek:

Here is my 2 cents -

NCL Crown:

My family took the Crown to Bermuda 2 summers ago. We loved it! But several other people on the ship were complaining about it because it seemed "old". It was well kept and in good repair. I think what they meant by old was that it didn't have a NYC style theater or several pools or movie theater. If you can get over the size and appreciate it for what it is, you will not be disappointed. It was easy to get around, didn't have to worry about getting lost, etc. It is what cruising was 20 years ago. Think of it as a nostalgic ship. You spend so much time on land on the Bermuda itinerary, it really doesn't matter anyway, there isn't time to ice skate, surf, roller blade, etc.

Hawaii:

I too am not impressed with Hawaii. The Caribbean far surpasses Hawaii as far as the beaches, water clarity, snorkeling, water temperature, etc. And when you factor in the distance from the East coast, it just isn't worth the trip. The Caribbean is much closer and nicer. I think everyone should go once and I agree that Kauai is the nicest island, followed by the big island.

We were on NCL Crown this past December and January for the "around the horn" trip. Because of her size, we were able to easily navigate the smaller Patagonian Channels and Moraleda Canal, then go up a number to fjords to the glaciers -- larger ships can't do this. We were also able to anchor in the inner harbor at Port Stanley.

We had a great time; loved the ship, food, crew, etc. There is much to be said for "smaller" ships.

Regards,

captgeo

A wonderful part of the Bermuda itinerary is going through the "Cut" in St. George. The larger ships won't be able to do this. I heard they are going to widen the "Cut". That will be too bad if they do.

Sorry to see that the Crown is going. We cruised on her in 1997 to the Western Caribbean. A nice little ship. Has anyone heard anything about the Dream? She is a sister ship of the Wind. Doubt she will be with NCL for long. We plan on cruising on her out of Houston next Febuary.

Charles

GREAT NEWS:

Starting 2008, there is a reason to go to Bermuda out of NYC on NCL.

I don't know about you, but standing on the deck of the Dawn and looking over at the Crown, I found it very hard to book the Crown since it looked like the Dawn's tender.

Unfortunately, the Dawn cannot dock in all three Bermuda ports the way Crown could. The Dawn is currently restricted to King's Wharf on the west end which restricts access to the entire island. I would like to see NCL build a new, modern mid-sized ship that would be ideal for the Bermuda ports. It doesn't seem likely.

LOL I agree with you about Hawaii, especially from the east coast its a long way just for the beach and those Islands. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Hawaii the one time I went but once you see it you have seen it and there are allot of other places that are more interesting more than once. I also think that going on NCLA will allow you to see all the islands on one trip.

Sorry to see that the Crown is going. We cruised on her in 1997 to the Western Caribbean. A nice little ship. Has anyone heard anything about the Dream? She is a sister ship of the Wind. Doubt she will be with NCL for long. We plan on cruising on her out of Houston next Febuary.

Charles

May be one of the last to go. The flip top funnel allows the ship to do the canal in the Baltic's. Not many other ships that an make that trip.

May be one of the last to go. The flip top funnel allows the ship to do the canal in the Baltic's. Not many other ships that an make that trip.

And that may be the best cruise of them all, with the Kiel Kanal.

I'm with ya on Hawaii. Been there 3 times and the last two just showed it going in a direction we didn't like. We have since switched our quickie tropical trips to Cancun. I prefer Cancun over the Caribbean as well, but then I haven't been to all the islands.

I also sailed on the Crown 2 years ago and had mixed opinions about the ship. The food and service was excellent but I personally felt the ship didn't fit with the freestyle dining concept since most of the specialty restaurants held only about 20 people. Also, while the pool was nice, the outside deck layout was unusual and it seemed difficult to get a lounge chair. Also, when I was on the ship it looked poorly maintained from the outside with significant levels of rust. I also felt the cabins could have used some refreshing as the bed spreads were a terrible brown pattern. Overall, I had a great trip though and the suites on the ship were beautiful (even though I didn't stay in one we met some people who were staying in one.) I think with some tlc from fred olsen the ship will work well for them but feel that the ship is not suitable to the taste of most North American cruisers.

Maurick, the Norwegian Crown was built in 1988 for Royal Cruise line so she is 18 years old but in my humble opinion has more in common with ships built in the early to late 70s than the those built in the 80s. For instance the former Royal Princess was built in 1984 but was significantly nicer in my opinion, as were the Holiday, Jubilee, Celebration, and even the Sovereign. I guess my biggest complaint about the crown was the lack of the traditional pool setup where the pool is located in the middle of the ship and has deck space around it and on the deck above. On the crown the pool is located in the aft and has limited seating around it and then the next few decks up have only a handful of chairs each until you reach the next to top deck and the top deck which has quite a few chairs. But it is still a hassle to walk down 3 flights of stairs every time you want to go in the pool and if you have a child you will probably have to either be in the pool with the child or right next to the pool standing because there is not a lot of deck space. Granted my observations are from 2 years ago and things could have changed significantly since then.

DS has been on Crown twice so far. His friends were on Carnival Victory and RCL Voyager of the Seas. They like the Crown, but found it to be very small. DS has been on all size ships. Thank you for the info.

"GREAT NEWS:

Starting 2008, there is a reason to go to Bermuda out of NYC on NCL."

I'm very afraid that in 2008 there may be no way to take NCL to Bermuda except as an 8 hour stop via one of the megaships. And that's no substitute for 4 days in Bermuda via the lovely, if small, Crown...

One of our favorite ships. Did Scandinavia & Russia and around the British Isles when it was Royal Cruise Lines' Crown Odssey. Also did the "around the Horn" as NCL Crown. Had fun with the Greek crew on the Odssey. A bit of trivia - Did you know there used to be a nice little indoor pool and hot tubs on the bottom deck next to the Medical Canter?

Archived