If we miss our flight...

Or if there is a delay of any kind, (we are flying in the morning of) who pays to get us to the first stop (Nassau)? Us or the airline?:eek: We have a large group, 6 moms and 9 daughters, that are flying from St. Louis to Orlando and leaving out of Port Canaveral for the July 13 cruise. We are flying Southwest direct...and our flight gets us into Orlando at 11 am. We have booked the bus transfer from Carnival...

Or if there is a delay of any kind, (we are flying in the morning of) who pays to get us to the first stop (Nassau)? Us or the airline?:eek: We have a large group, 6 moms and 9 daughters, that are flying from St. Louis to Orlando and leaving out of Port Canaveral for the July 13 cruise. We are flying Southwest direct...and our flight gets us into Orlando at 11 am. We have booked the bus transfer from Carnival...

If you bought your own air, you are resonsible for getting to Nassau out of your own pocket. There are a few exceptions. If the airline was delayed due to their fault (mechanical, no flight crew, etc.), they will usually get you there. They will not however, if it is an "act of God" such as weather or other events out of their own control. Airlines are also not responsible for Air Traffic Control delays. Southwest is pretty good at working with you and:) they have the best "on time" record in the industry but, basically, you would be on your own.

Don't let that distress you though. Sounds like you were very wise and selected an early flight. If something should happen, Southwest could probably get you on a later flight that would get you to Orlando with plenty of time.

Sounds like quite a lively group. Have a great time!:)

If you booked the flights yourself you will be responsible. Do you have trip insurance? If not you might want to check out insuremytrip.com.

With a direct flight you have less to worry about than if you had to make a connection/s. Plus arriving at 11:00 gives you some room for a delay. I think you'll will be okay with your flight, but we always try to fly in the day before and take out trip insurance just to be safe.

John

Trust me.....you pay. We did this and only made our boat by 1/2 hr. on the way back we were delayed two day, yep, two days in florida. We were told the airlines obligation is to get you from point A to point B....the fine print gives them latitude on the timing of getting you there. Since you've booked the air already I'd buy insurance. This year we are flying the day before! Good luck

Buy insurance..I live in the area and we have had bad fires that closed the roads to the port from the airport and caused delays.We alreay have a tropical depression.

Steve

If you simply "miss your flight" I don't think anybody will reimburse you. If there is a mechanical or weather delay (I think it has to be longer than 8 hours), then trip insurance will reimburse you. If you have no trip insurance, you are on your own.

Here's the advantage of flying a major airline like American or Delta over Southwest. Southwest does not pay to put you on other airlines so even if it is Southwest's fault, they aren't going to put you on another airline and Southwest only flies within the Continental US. If it is their fault, sometimes the major airlines will find a way to catch you up to your cruise.

If you bought your own air, you are resonsible for getting to Nassau out of your own pocket. There are a few exceptions. If the airline was delayed due to their fault (mechanical, no flight crew, etc.), they will usually get you there.

No, they won't. They will not pay for you to get to Nassau if your original destination from them is MCO. Their responsibility is point of air origin to point of air destination.

To the OP....research other airlines flights to MCO as a back-up plan.

I would never ever trust southwest to get me there and you have a connection also . We are flying southwest for the trip home as we will all ready be in fl at wdw 8 days before our cruise.

I like southwest low fares but would never fly them the day of the cruise

The airline will not get you to Nassau. You will be on your own. NO MATTER WHAT. That is why I never fly in the day of the cruise. ALWAYS the day before. TOO much stress hopeing you will make it. Tonight I drove to Mobile, AL from Pensacola, Fl. Just a 50 mile drive. There was a accident up the road a ways. We sat there on the highway for 4 and 1/2 hours. Now you get into MCO at 11. and gather up your luggage and on the road by noon. Easy hour drive to the port. Now the same thing happen. Is it the limo problem now to get you to Nassau. YOU must get to the ship on time. Not the airline, limo. cab, the state of Florida or anyone else. The key word is YOU

I would never ever trust southwest to get me there and you have a connection also . We are flying southwest for the trip home as we will all ready be in fl at wdw 8 days before our cruise.

I like southwest low fares but would never fly them the day of the cruise

The OP said she had a direct flight, not sure if she meant a non-stop or a stop with no change in plane( which in airline speak is a direct flight). Everyones comfort level is different but I generally fly SW on day of daparture and have not had any problems so far.

The OP said she had a direct flight, not sure if she meant a non-stop or a stop with no change in plane( which in airline speak is a direct flight). Everyones comfort level is different but I generally fly SW on day of daparture and have not had any problems so far.

Nonstop vs. Direct vs. Connecting

I was going to mention that as well... "nonstop" versus "direct". If the OP is flying "direct" that means a stop with no plane change like you said. What if the stop is in a city, thunderstorms roll in while making the 20-minute turn, and then the plane is delayed leaving that city for the final destination? Something to definitely consider since the airlines do NOT control mother nature, nor do they control ATC.

If it's the 7:45 NONSTOP arriving 11:00, then I would breathe easier over it being DIRECT. Also, is it an originator versus coming in from another city? Hubby and I have never taken a chance flying in the day of on ANY airline, and I used to be AAdvantage Gold with American because I flew a lot. We have read too many of the heartbreak stories over the years - you never know - someone may have a medical emergency on board causing the plane to divert for emergency medical evacuation (yes, heart attacks can happen anywhere). We just don't chance it with a cruise. We're too chicken - don't know the medical conditions of the others who are booked on the flights with us or what the weather will be that day or how ATC will be.... But all in all, we know if we miss embarkation, we are the ones paying. Spend the extra few dollars for trip insurance. Well worth the sanity.:)

I have to disagree wrp96 - it was American airlines that stranded us and said it's only obligation was to get us from point A to point B without any obligation as to the time line that they get you there. We asked to be compensated for two days missed work, a voucher, something......nothing! Remember we were standed in Florida on our way back, broken airplane and we had to make our own arrangements to get back, they do not honnor other airlines with regards to helping them out in a pinch so other airlines don't help America out when their planes break. A lessoned learned for us, buy insurance or fly early! :rolleyes:

I think it is crystal clear that if you are delayed, and it is the airline's fault, the *only* thing the airlines will do is get you to your *original* destination as soon as they can. The OP will have to get her group to the ship's next stop at their own expense.

The good news is there is a ferry from the FL coast to the Bahamas - it is a day trip "party boat" type, but it is less than $100, so probably less than an airline ticket.

Since they are not making a connecting flight, and lots of flights go to Orlando, chances of missing the boat are not all that great this time of year. Don't sweat it, but have an extra hundred bucks ready just in case.

I would NEVER count on this happening again- in April my sister booked a cruise (no insurance) out of Miami - flew the day of the cruise from NC. Had to change planes. Second flight was cancelled. They got on another flight with just enough time to spare to get to ship. Their luggage didn't make it with them! They waited for luggage & missed cruise. Airline (Delta) ended up flying them to Panama because Carnival found another ship there that had room on it for them. They still missed one day of cruise & had aother incidental expenses. I am so impressed with Carnival for doing something they had no obligation to do.

I will also be on the same cruise as you, Fantasy to the Bahamas on 7/13! Only 31 days to go and I'm so excited. :D I'm sure you'll be ok since you do have a non-stop flight. I am also coming in to MCO on a NS flight from Memphis to MCO and pray for no delays. My flight leaves 9:30am and gets me to MCO at 12:35pm. I'm going to pay a friend to pick myself and my party up from the airport since he knows the quickest routes so I'm not overly concerned.

Unfortunately, not everyone's agenda allows for an early day in prior to their cruise, so we must sometimes bite the bullet and pray for the best when we must fly in day of. Just make sure you cover all of your basics (i.e., getting to the airport early, have all travel documents) prior to departing your home city to avoid any additional delays and you should be fine. :cool:

I'll look for your review after our cruise!

Good to see someone is taking a leap of faith like we are! I love Memphis...used to spend alot of time there...restaurants are fabulous! Hope to see you in the embarkation line...if we both make it (flying in same day seems to be a bad idea from all these posts, but we'll see!):eek:

Sure there can always be delays - we do have some weather issues here in Florida -- maybe you've heard? But before we moved here, we used to fly down to cruise and we did both - a day or two early and the day of cruise.

I agree that if you have the time and cash flying in early is great and stress-free. But, it isn't always possible, even when we had the money we might not have had the time, so we flew and cruised on the same day. It's not as relaxing, but all that goes away when the taxi/limo/bus/friend/whatever makes the turn into the port and you see the ship still sitting there.

Do some who travel same day not make it? Of course, the boards are full of stories where this happens. But, keep in mind that if you book with the cruise lines directly, they fly you in the same day (unless you pay for the pre-cruise package) and if it didn't work for them (i.e. ships leaving half full and many angry passengers) they wouldn't do it themselves.

Trip insurance may ease your mind, but relax. Make the best arrangements you can, and enjoy your cruise vacation.

bill

. I'm going to pay a friend to pick myself and my party up from the airport since he knows the quickest routes so I'm not overly concerned.

There are no quickest routes. There is for all practical purposes, only 1 route.The high speed beachline expressway. There are back roads but if the main road is out,they are all jammed

Steve

Archived