Is this only on the Crown? Charge for Room Service??

showdog

I read this on another thread and I'm just curious if this will be implemented on all ships.

I noticed on our last cruise on the Diamond 2 weeks ago that they make you sign for your room service and there is a line to insert gratuity.

I know that I've had to sign for room service before, but this was the first time I noticed this new section where you could add a tip.

On the Golden back in December this section was not any where when I signed for room service. Now in June on the Diamond it was there. Now I hear on another thread that they are charging for Room Serivce?

I'm wondering if this means I have to pay for room service and also give them my normal tip?

I put a line through the "gratuity" section and felt a little strange when I did, but I always tip them in cash when they bring my room service.

I give 2 dollars to 4 dollars depending on the amount of food I am having delivered.

That gratuity line has been around for awhile now. It was on the Golden last October and I noticed it on the Sun last summer. You can continue to just hand them cash and not put a gratuity on the form. For me, who rarely has cash on hand - this has been helpful.

As for a charge for room service on the Crown - I didn't see that thread. I know that if you consume bottled water in the cabin, the charge on your bill says "room service".... Hopefully someone on the Crown can report.

I read this on another thread and I'm just curious if this will be implemented on all ships.

I noticed on our last cruise on the Diamond 2 weeks ago that they make you sign for your room service and there is a line to insert gratuity.

I know that I've had to sign for room service before, but this was the first time I noticed this new section where you could add a tip.

On the Golden back in December this section was not any where when I signed for room service. Now in June on the Diamond it was there. Now I hear on another thread that they are charging for Room Serivce?

I'm wondering if this means I have to pay for room service and also give them my normal tip?

I put a line through the "gratuity" section and felt a little strange when I did, but I always tip them in cash when they bring my room service.

I give 2 dollars to 4 dollars depending on the amount of food I am having delivered.

showdog,

I can't speak for the policies of the new Crown.

But what I can tell you is that in speaking with the Maitre'd on the Coral last September he told me that the Food & Beverage department had recently taken over managing Room Service.

It had previously been managed by the Hotel Department :confused: .

I think the reason that we are presented with is slip to sign is to verify that we have recieved our order and that it arrived in a timely manner. Yes, there is a spot for a tip - but like you I always tip with cash.

I don't understand the need to tip for room service, as I thought the $10 p/p per day gratuity includes all staff.

It does not include room service/delivery. This should be an additional tip.

I read this on another thread and I'm just curious if this will be implemented on all ships... I'm wondering if this means I have to pay for room service and also give them my normal tip?

Normal room service items are not charged. Alcohol, sodas, and other such purchases that you would pay for anywhere else on the ship are, of course, as are specialty items such as appetizer platters. This questions pops up from time to time, and seems to result from confusion over the delivery receipt. Sometimes we've been asked to sign just to verify delivery.

The Crown has a new item on the room service menu, it's called the "Brooklyn Balcony Nosh" and includes a Nathan's hot dog with all the trimmings, a slice of cheesecake and a local beer --- charge for this is $7.00. As far as I know, the regular and free room service menu is still in place -- although no word yet on whether the regular hot dog is still on it!!

The Crown has a new item on the room service menu, it's called the "Brooklyn Balcony Nosh" and includes a Nathan's hot dog with all the trimmings, a slice of cheesecake and a local beer --- charge for this is $7.00. As far as I know, the regular and free room service menu is still in place -- although no word yet on whether the regular hot dog is still on it!!

I forgot about that. I believe that will only be on the Brooklyn sailings. I probably wouldn't order that since hot dogs and cheesecake are free on the ship elsewhere.

I don't understand the need to tip for room service, as I thought the $10 p/p per day gratuity includes all staff.
No... the $10/pp/day is for all dining room and buffet staff plus your steward.

Think of it this way: if you were staying at a hotel and breakfast were included but you ordered room service breakfast, would you tip?

Individualized service such as room service, bar service, etc. that not everyone uses is not included in the daily gratuity.

If, as a previous poster indicated, that Food and Beverage was taking over room service then perhaps they will include those poor room service delivery people in the tip pool as well, seems like everyone else is in on it, from dishwashers to laundry staff, from other comments.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks. This is the best explanation I have seen for what is (should be) and what is not (should not be) included among the pooled tips! /Sultan

Partial Quote:

Individualized service such as room service, bar service, etc. that not everyone uses is not included in the daily gratuity.

No... the $10/pp/day is for all dining room and buffet staff plus your steward.

Think of it this way: if you were staying at a hotel and breakfast were included but you ordered room service breakfast, would you tip?

But if the room service delivery people were part of the hotel service (along with the cabin steward), wouldn't they share in that tip pool? We always tip a little something because we tend to tip more than the norm for good service and we've always had it. That doesn't make us right & anybody else wrong, though, it's just our custom.

And after he was told that the $10 pp/day DIDN'T include room service...

My Princess information and the brochures state that room service is included in the cruise price.

I hate to say it, but this is exactly WHY autotips are needed! Why is it so difficult to shell out a few mere dollars for extra service (yes, someone bringing refreshments to your room is considered EXTRA!)

We can't always trust the passengers to "remember" to tip the crew for the service that they receive - some people are always looking for a loophole. :mad:

And after he was told that the $10 pp/day DIDN'T include room service...

I hate to say it, but this is exactly WHY autotips are needed! Why is it so difficult to shell out a few mere dollars for extra service (yes, someone bringing refreshments to your room is considered EXTRA!)

We can't always trust the passengers to "remember" to tip the crew for the service that they receive - some people are always looking for a loophole. :mad:

Well, thanks for that piece of wisdom.

I thought Pam's reply was much more tactful!

Well, thanks for that piece of wisdom.

I thought Pam's reply was much more tactful!

You know, you are right, I could have been more tactful. It's something I do feel strongly about, but if it came out rude, well, that isn't right either. I took your response perhaps more aggressively than you meant it, and responded in kind.

I'm not trying to offend anyone here, so if I did, I appologize. :o

Oh! I get it. It's the tip we're talking about. Nope, room service tips and bar service tips and any extra for above and beyond tips are not included in the ten bucks a day tip pool. Just have some ones on you for room service.

If it really grinds you to pay it, and some people will have a problem with it, then haul yourself to The Horizon Court and get food to bring back down to your room. Of course if you leave the plates to clean up in your room...

It's not just the Crown that room service is not inlcuded in the tip, it's every ship on every line I've ever sailed. Most common.

Next time you get room service, notice whose bringing it to you! It's usually the person who cleans or sets up your cabin! They work very, very hard.....to ignore them carrying your trays of tidbits or meals to your room....would really be an insult! :mad:

Plan on bringing some singles along with you....and, use them for just this reason.;)

The people we are making your cruise special for you really appreciate it!:)

Roz

I always tip room service. They now give a receipt where you can add a tip. This tip goes into a tip pool. I prefer to sign the receipt and hand 2 dollars to the delivery person so they keep that for themselves.

Next time you get room service, notice whose bringing it to you! It's usually the person who cleans or sets up your cabin! They work very, very hard.....to ignore them carrying your trays of tidbits or meals to your room....would really be an insult! :mad:

Plan on bringing some singles along with you....and, use them for just this reason.;)

The people we are making your cruise special for you really appreciate it!:)

Roz

I have never had my room steward deliver room service to us....never.

..and I agree...hand the deliver some cash

Archived