Is Sabatini's worth the $$$$ ?

Hughbud

Cruising in October aboard Caribbean Princess. Is Sabatini's the Italian restaurant worth our while to make reservations? What kind of seafood is offered, and are there a lot of pasta dishes to chose from. Also how much is it pp? Think we will also try Sterlings from some of the reviews I have read, it sounds nice.

Hughbud

In our opinion, yes (for the change of pace) and no (for the food). While its a nice change of scenery from the DR, great to have individualized service and congenial banter with an unhurried waitstaff, the food is mediocre if you're accustomed to decent northern Italian cuisine. Nice idea, poor quality and execution.

I would also say it was worth it but I thought the food we had on the Island Princess was pretty good but then we don't eat at very many really good Italian restaurants. We are more likely to eat at one of the Italian chains and in comparison to them the food was very good and very plentiful. You definitely had to crawl away from the table even if you had watched what you ate during the day which we had done.

I will agree with the above poster that the service, individualized service and friendly unhurried waitstaff who don't hurry you are a highlight.

Have a great next cruise.

As an addendum to my 'no' post above, I agree with Sue and Kent, Sterlings is much better. Enjoyable and good food. Not of the Mortons/Capitol Grill/Smith&Wollensky's quality, but still pretty good, and also a nice change from the DR for a night or two.

Cruising in October aboard Caribbean Princess. Is Sabatini's the Italian restaurant worth our while to make reservations? What kind of seafood is offered, and are there a lot of pasta dishes to chose from. Also how much is it pp? Think we will also try Sterlings from some of the reviews I have read, it sounds nice.

Hughbud

I have the menus for Sterllings and Sabatinis on my website in "The Ship" section. Link is in my signature below.

Bill

You will find many a discussion on these boards about Sabatinis, and I have weighed in on several of them. This is an "authentic" Italian restaurant, so you will not find "lots of pasta dishes" nor would you in Italy. Pasta became the main staple in an "Italian" meal here in the US.

Yes, IMO it's well worth it, but you have to understand what an "authentic" Italian meal is. If you're looking for a heavy laden pasta experience, you will not find it:

"A traditional Italian menu consists of:

1. L’antipasto - hot and cold appetizers;

2. Il primo ("First Course"), usually consists of a hot dish like pasta, risotto, gnocchi, polenta or soup. There are usually abundant vegetarian options;

3. Il secondo ("Second Course"), the main dish, usually fish or meat (Pasta is never the main course in a traditional menu). Traditionally veal is the most commonly used meat, at least in the north, though beef has become more popular since World War II and wild game is very popular, particularly in Tuscany;

4. Il contorno ("Side Dish") may consist of a salad or vegetables. A traditional menu features salad after the main course.

5. Il dolce ("Dessert");

6 Il caffè ("Coffee") (espresso) and liquors/liqueurs (grappa, amaro, limoncello)."

Experiences may differ from ship to ship, so you may want to check out this thread too:

QUANTITY of food in Sabatini's - Cruise Critic Message Boards

After reading reports on Sabatinis over the past months since our cruice on the CB I had begun to think I had been in a different restaurant. Previous threads had many rave reports. I have to agree, however, with those posting above - it is not worth the money. I would, in fact, recommend Sterlings - it made for a much more enjoyable evening. My major problem with Sabatinis was that the menu you see posted is not what you really get. You are brought "tastes" of all selections from each course, and you may then chose your entree. IMHO, the selections cater to those who would enjoy a gourmet Italian menu, i.e. no pasta. Unfortunately, I am a more simple Italian (by marriage) and did not enjoy the food. Now, those who know me would describe me as very picky, but honestly, I didn't like anything. Of the 4 of us at dinner only 1 enjoyed her meal - and she eats anything! Stick to Sterlings and make your reservations early.

My major problem with Sabatinis was that the menu you see posted is not what you really get. You are brought "tastes" of all selections from each course, and you may then chose your entree. IMHO, the selections cater to those who would enjoy a gourmet Italian menu, i.e. no pasta. Unfortunately, I am a more simple Italian (by marriage) and did not enjoy the food.

Don't apologize for being a "simple Italian." You know what you like. I'm only an Italian by association. Heck, see my discussion on the other board about tuna fish spaghetti! :D But, our experience has been you can order anything you want. We specifically asked, do we have to do the "taster" menu ... and they said, of course not. So we each ordered what we wanted, from appetizer through dessert. (But they brought us a few treats in between courses anyway.) I think there's a misconception of what is expected of you -- the passenger. Don't be afraid to ask. But, if you don't see anything you like on the menu, of course you're not going to be satisfied. Bon appetit!

I would not go back to Sabatini's....We had the worst waiter, food was tiny portions (about a tblspoon of 12 items), then an ok entree, good dessert, but it was nothing I would do again.....we sat there for 3+ hours and left hungry.

Sterling Steak House....I liked it....The steak was good, not the best I have ever had, but enjoyable, shrimp cocktail was awesome...I could make a meal on those huge shrimp alone....waitstaff was great, relaxed atmosphere, and yummy dessert...I would do SSH again, but dh said he thinks we should skip it...

You will find many a discussion on these boards about Sabatinis, and I have weighed in on several of them. This is an "authentic" Italian restaurant, so you will not find "lots of pasta dishes" nor would you in Italy. Pasta became the main staple in an "Italian" meal here in the US.

Yes, IMO it's well worth it, but you have to understand what an "authentic" Italian meal is. If you're looking for a heavy laden pasta experience, you will not find it:

"A traditional Italian menu consists of:

1. L’antipasto - hot and cold appetizers;

2. Il primo ("First Course"), usually consists of a hot dish like pasta, risotto, gnocchi, polenta or soup. There are usually abundant vegetarian options;

3. Il secondo ("Second Course"), the main dish, usually fish or meat (Pasta is never the main course in a traditional menu). Traditionally veal is the most commonly used meat, at least in the north, though beef has become more popular since World War II and wild game is very popular, particularly in Tuscany;

4. Il contorno ("Side Dish") may consist of a salad or vegetables. A traditional menu features salad after the main course.

5. Il dolce ("Dessert");

6 Il caffè ("Coffee") (espresso) and liquors/liqueurs (grappa, amaro, limoncello)."

Experiences may differ from ship to ship, so you may want to check out this thread too:

QUANTITY of food in Sabatini's - Cruise Critic Message Boards

Just to be clear, my 'no' vote was not about quantity nor authenticity. Although I'm not Italian, I've eaten in many restaurants in Italy from high end to low end, Rome, Venice, Florence, Milan and Tuscan countryside, and eat in many fine and not-so-fine Italian restaurants here in Chicago.

I think what Sabatinis is trying to do is a nice concept. I just think they don't execute it very well, primarily due to the quality of the food they're serving - vegetables, fish, shrimp, etc. Great idea, mediocre quality.

I still do not understand how people can leave any restaurant on any of these ships hungry. All you have to do is ask for more ... my partner had 2 entrees at Sabatinis! And if your waiter isn't responding, ask the matre' de to get you a new one. ASK, just ask people and I bet they will respond. Some people would rather sit in front of a meal they can't eat, rather than complain. If you do it nicely, they don't mind .... here's a hint, THEY WANT YOU TO BE HAPPY.

My closest friend will sit in front of a steak he can't eat, rather then send it back b/c he doesn't want to cause a "fuss." His wife is the same way. Instead, they'd rather complain to us the whole meal ... and often after...... Argh!!!!

Just to be clear, my 'no' vote was not about quantity nor authenticity. Although I'm not Italian, I've eaten in many restaurants in Italy from high end to low end, Rome, Venice, Florence, Milan and Tuscan countryside, and eat in many fine and not-so-fine Italian restaurants here in Chicago.

I think what Sabatinis is trying to do is a nice concept. I just think they don't execute it very well, primarily due to the quality of the food they're serving - vegetables, fish, shrimp, etc. Great idea, mediocre quality.

Then that's a legitimate criticism. However, I've seen many a complaint on these boards b/c they couldn't get spaghetti and meat balls or lasagna ... only fish or beef. :eek:

I do think, however, it varies from ship to ship, as do the regular dining rooms.

After two ships and two attempts, the food is nothing special, the service is painfully slow and we left hungry. There was no way to ask for more of anything as the waiters disappear after serving your thimbleful of whatever and an additional main course would cost you an additional $20 at least in our two attempts.

I will never go back, in Sterlings you at least get a decent steak, and semi-decent service.

Cheers,

Peter

I thought the food at Sabbatini's was good----I did not find it to be significnatly better than that in the Main Dining Room, but the service staff were nice, restatuant had attractive surroundings, and it was fun to do something different one evening. I think the price for what Princess offers is fair.

I would not go back to Sabatini's....We had the worst waiter, food was tiny portions (about a tblspoon of 12 items), then an ok entree, good dessert, but it was nothing I would do again.....we sat there for 3+ hours and left hungry.

Sterling Steak House....I liked it....The steak was good, not the best I have ever had, but enjoyable, shrimp cocktail was awesome...I could make a meal on those huge shrimp alone....waitstaff was great, relaxed atmosphere, and yummy dessert...I would do SSH again, but dh said he thinks we should skip it...

Well this is a first for me! Say what you want about the quality of the food ,waiter service, ambiance, but I have never heard someone leaving Sabatini's hungry!!!!!!

Well....Patrick...we did leave hungry. The 1 tbls of the different courses and an entree that consisted of 2 tiny shrimp, 2 scallonps and a 3 inch lobster tail over 3+ hrs didnt do it for us...We are not huge eaters...so this surprised us...We didnt eat much all day as we had been advised to go HUNGRY!! Well...we left hungry and frustrated....headed to Horizon Court later in the evening, which we never do.

As for ordering more food....That is nearly impossible....As another poster said the waiter give you your thimberfull and leave....We asked our waiter for a combination of the seafood offered instead of the standard menu...and you would have thought we asked him for gold...He did it but let us know what a favor he was doing.... I dont think 2nds are encouraged at all.

I thought the food at Sabbatini's was good----I did not find it to be significnatly better than that in the Main Dining Room, but the service staff were nice, restatuant had attractive surroundings, and it was fun to do something different one evening. I think the price for what Princess offers is fair.

ditto with what stephenandrew said.

It was a nice experience and a break from the other dining venues.

I thought the price was fair also.

Hungry, I don't see how anyone could leave hungry, unless they did not partake of much of the food, Our waiter let us have more of anything we wanted.

I thought Crown Grill (on Crown Princess) was good too.

If you are frugal then don't spend the extra money on the specialty restaurants.

Well, I guess I'm just a simple country girl, but we had a great time at Sabbatini's on the Grand. Of course there are multiple tastes of different antipasti before you get to the main course- ours was big delicious lobster tails and they were fantastic. It was fun and relaxing and a lot less noise than the dining room. Now I don't know about you, but I can easily spend $25 at a chain restaurant with drink, appetizer, entree, meal and tip- easy! So, for us, it was fun and good- but maybe we lucked out.

As far Sterlings is concerned- also nice to be away from the noise of the Dining room and the shrimp coctail were gigantic and fantastic (more like prawns). My steak was pathetic (a strip), just as it had been in the dining rooms. However, a dining companion got the filet and it was outstanding. We all (a group) enjoyed both dining experiences and quite frankly wouldn't have blinked paying 15-25 at a Red Lobster, Applebees or Outback at home. :p

We have always had a great experience at Sabatini's and look forward to dining there for each cruise. We enjoy tasting a bit of everything and felt the quality of the food was decent. I think its worth it to try it once and then decide for yourself if its worth a trip back.

Archived