Is Sabatini's worth the $$$$ ?

Hughbud

Cruising in October aboard Caribbean Princess. Is Sabatini's the Italian restaurant worth our while to make reservations? What kind of seafood is offered, and are there a lot of pasta dishes to chose from. Also how much is it pp? Think we will also try Sterlings from some of the reviews I have read, it sounds nice.

Hughbud

I did it on the Coral, tcdtcd hit the nail on the head. Nice for a change of scenery, that's all.

Well....Patrick...we did leave hungry. The 1 tbls of the different courses and an entree that consisted of 2 tiny shrimp, 2 scallonps and a 3 inch lobster tail over 3+ hrs didnt do it for us...We are not huge eaters...so this surprised us...We didnt eat much all day as we had been advised to go HUNGRY!! Well...we left hungry and frustrated....headed to Horizon Court later in the evening, which we never do.

As for ordering more food....That is nearly impossible....As another poster said the waiter give you your thimberfull and leave....We asked our waiter for a combination of the seafood offered instead of the standard menu...and you would have thought we asked him for gold...He did it but let us know what a favor he was doing.... I dont think 2nds are encouraged at all.

I second, third and fourth these comments. The amount of food served is less than what you get in the regular dining rooms. If you have never heard of anyone leaving hungry, well, here are at least 4 of us.

As I stated before, asking for more of anything is either impossible, as the waiter is nowhere in sight, or adds an extra cover charge. This is how it was explained to us when we went.

The first time we went to Sabatini's it was on the Caribbean Princess. Taking note of what we read here prior to leaving we had a late breakfast, off to an excursion and skipped having anything when we came back on board.

We had an 8pm reservation, and were there until about 10:30. When the waiter brought out the pizza, we got a sliver each and he disappeared for 3 to 5 minutes. When he showed up again with another spoonful of "stuff", we thought we would be smart and asked for a bit more, and got an extra 1/2 spoonful and then off he went for another 3 -5 minutes. This carried on until we received our main courses, mine was the shrimp, and it was pretty sad, it consisted of 4 average size prawns with a dollop of rice or something in the center, that's how memorable it was. My partners dish consisted of a fairly dry lobster tail. The waiter of course disappeared this time for about 1/2 hour, I guess that was so we could savour the experience some more.

By the time we had finished the main course it was about 10:30 we looked at each other and thought we might still have time to hit the buffet, so we passed on dessert and coffee, we just wanted to get away it was that bad.

Chalking it up to a bad night, we went on the Golden Princess a couple of month later and decided to try it again. Shouldn't have bothered, this time we asked if we could order 2 mains, and were told we could for an additional cover charge for each. We didn't think the food the first time was worth a $20, so couldn't see the point in spending $40 each.

Sorry to have to say it, but the service was just as poor! What is it with the disappearing waiters anyway? Asking for more of any item was greeted with a no or sorry. I think the waiters must get a bonus if they reduce the amount the serve! At least that was what we thought! :D

This time I tried the scallops, and this time it was 3 of them, and my partner got what had to be the toughest veal chop in the world.

Once again we opted out of dessert, and headed for the buffet mumbling never again.

So yes, there are people that leave Sabatini's hungry, and some that think the experience less than stellar.

Our experience with Sterling's on the other hand put Sabatini's to shame. The service was decent, the food exactly as described, more of anything was not a problem.

Neither of them are really worth paying extra for in our humble opinions, but Sterling's is the winner hands down.

Cheers.

Peter

I echo petrv's experience.

I did not post earlier because our experience was about 3 years ago and we have not been to Sabatinis after that. We also had a late reservation (8:30PM) and the entire staff seemed to be suffering from a complete burn out BY THEN. We got all the samples but never got the main course!

Just a reminder -- the cost of the dinner is an EXTRA $20/25! We place a value of about $25 for the main dining room dinner. So one must view that that the dinner at Sabatinis is really costing $45 to $50. We can do much better in SF. /Sultan

We had an 8pm reservation, and were there until about 10:30. When the waiter brought out the pizza, we got a sliver each and he disappeared for 3 to 5 minutes. When he showed up again with another spoonful of "stuff", we thought we would be smart and asked for a bit more, and got an extra 1/2 spoonful and then off he went for another 3 -5 minutes. This carried on until we received our main courses, mine was the shrimp, and it was pretty sad, it consisted of 4 average size prawns with a dollop of rice or something in the center, that's how memorable it was. My partners dish consisted of a fairly dry lobster tail. The waiter of course disappeared this time for about 1/2 hour, I guess that was so we could savour the experience some more.

By the time we had finished the main course it was about 10:30 we looked at each other and thought we might still have time to hit the buffet, so we passed on dessert and coffee, we just wanted to get away it was that bad.

Cheers.

Peter

We have eaten at Sabatini's twice, and that's probably enough for us. We had dinner on the Star and lunch on the Diamond (sea days only). I actually preferred the luncheon - we were virtually alone in the place, so the service was, if anything, over attentive. I suspect that they also didn't have as much food pre-made, so it tasted a little fresher.

I wouldn't rate the food as excellent, but most of it was very good. The setting was very peaceful at lunch, more bustling at dinner.

The only way you'll ever really know the answer to your question is to try it.

From the majority of you giving unfavorable reviews of Sabatini's I will have to say

I will not be dining in this speciality rest.....plus, I am one who can not sit for 2-3 hrs...Waiting & waiting for a little sampler....It's just not my style.....unless there was dancing in-between.....Hmmmmm

FYI - I wrote Princess about statements made from past reviews on Crown's food quality....They stated this will be elvaluated by their Senior Management for review, corrective actions, and future planning.....

Time will tell with future dining experience reviews......

Cruising in October aboard Caribbean Princess. Is Sabatini's the Italian restaurant worth our while to make reservations? What kind of seafood is offered, and are there a lot of pasta dishes to chose from. Also how much is it pp? Think we will also try Sterlings from some of the reviews I have read, it sounds nice.

Hughbud

I thought Sabatini's was great! It is amazing how much food one can eat and still walk after the meal is finally finished! I was on the Star and was very happy with Sabatini's. It was worth it. I saw some menus on another post. The servers asks what you want for your entree and they bring everything else on the menu. My husband and our friends ate there 2 times (me only once because I wasn't feeling well). I missed out the first time. I ate in the Steakhouse also. The shrimp cocktail was really Jumbo! The steaks were also delicious. Both are very good but if you don't want to spend the extra $$, the regular dining is also very good. I never had a bad meal!!! Try it, you'll like it! Enjoy!:)

The posters have more than answered it correctly, it is mediocre at best and Sterlings is much better. That being said, the alternative restaurantss on Holland, Celebrity, and Norweigian are far superior.

worth doing one time i would say yes but that would be the most. book it the first nite of the cruise then you will be impressed!

I was reading this thread to hubby last nite and he just said,HUH?:confused:

We had quite a different experience on the Coral Princess. First, they told us it was a 12 course meal. I went ,gulp. Well thank goodness 10 of those courses were small samplings of a cornicopia of gourmet delights. We started out with antipasti,caviar, cioppini, pizza, gnocchi, and many other gourmet samplings. By the time my entree came out I was sooo full that it was hard to eat the fish I had ordered that was scrumptious. And not to mention dessert. We took it to go.

We were there for about 3 hours and enjoyed every minute. Excellent service. The food is a different caliber there because there is a seperate kitchen right off the restaurant. Everything is made to order. Hot fresh and gourmet. This is more of a "true European" dining experience. It is not for those that think a buffet is dining. It is not the amount of pre made food you can slop on your plate and scarf down in 30 mins.

So if you are a foodie,Go. If not hit the buffet.

CuriousCat

We recently ate at Sabatini's and Sterling Steakhouse on the Diamond, compared to the Pinnacle Grill on HAL and the alternative restaurant on Celebrity, Sabatini's was a sad looser. Service was slow and unfriendly, food was fair and overall the space felt like a casual restaurant not a upscale special space. We did like the Sterling Steakhouse 100% better as we had a great waiter, though I wish Princess would give them a dedicated space vs. a section of the Horizon Court. IMHO, if you miss Sabatini's its no big deal.

Also, when we told our dinning room Matre'd that we were not imrpessed with Sabatinis he made us the most amazing Italian food at dinner the next night.

I was reading this thread to hubby last nite and he just said,HUH?:confused:

We had quite a different experience on the Coral Princess. First, they told us it was a 12 course meal. I went ,gulp. Well thank goodness 10 of those courses were small samplings of a cornicopia of gourmet delights. We started out with antipasti,caviar, cioppini, pizza, gnocchi, and many other gourmet samplings. By the time my entree came out I was sooo full that it was hard to eat the fish I had ordered that was scrumptious. And not to mention dessert. We took it to go.

We were there for about 3 hours and enjoyed every minute. Excellent service. The food is a different caliber there because there is a seperate kitchen right off the restaurant. Everything is made to order. Hot fresh and gourmet. This is more of a "true European" dining experience. It is not for those that think a buffet is dining. It is not the amount of pre made food you can slop on your plate and scarf down in 30 mins.

So if you are a foodie,Go. If not hit the buffet.

CuriousCat

One of only a few disappointments on our holiday Star cruise was our dinner in Sabatinis, having had our expectations raised by posts like the above.

IMHO, while Sabatini's is trying to be 'gourmet', 'foodie', and 'a truly European dining experience', trying really hard, it falls short -- by a wide margin. Not due to quantity - but due to quality of the food and its preparation (seasoning/temperature/sauces/etc). Its not bad - and as I mentioned in a post above, its a nice change of scenery from the DR and nice to have the personalized service. However, it is a far cry from fine northern Italian dining - either in Europe or any major city here (we live in Chicago).

To say "If you are a foodie, go. If not hit the buffet -slop it on your plate and scarf it down" is both insulting and more importantly, inaccurate - Sabatinis is an attempt at upscale dining, but misses the mark (imo).

This is an excerpt from Cruise Critics Reveiw of Sabatini's on Coral. This is from professionals.

"Not to be missed: Sabatini's, with a $20 cover charge, is a culinary standout with its 18 -- that's no typographical error -- courses. Our three-hour meal elevated the dining experience to "event" status"

Looks like I left out a few courses. You shouldn't be insulted.:cool: Not everyone is a foodie. To each is own. That is why there is diversity.

A true foodie would not be caught dead at a buffet. Especially on a main stream cruise line. A true foodie likes food prepared to order and likes to be served. It is just to each his own.

CuriousCat

IMHO, a true foodie has developed a "taste" for a wide variety of foods. I have been amazed at the excellence of some of the dishes I have eaten at the Horizon Court buffet. And whom do I usually run into at the Horizon Court quite often to give my compliments -- the Sous Chef! But as you say -- to each his/her own. /Sultan

A true foodie would not be caught dead at a buffet. Especially on a main stream cruise line. A true foodie likes food prepared to order and likes to be served. It is just to each his own.

CuriousCat

This is an excerpt from Cruise Critics Reveiw of Sabatini's on Coral. This is from professionals.

"Not to be missed: Sabatini's, with a $20 cover charge, is a culinary standout with its 18 -- that's no typographical error -- courses. Our three-hour meal elevated the dining experience to "event" status"

Looks like I left out a few courses. You shouldn't be insulted.:cool: Not everyone is a foodie. To each is own. That is why there is diversity.

CuriousCat

Thanks for explaining to all of us what a 'true foodie' likes and doesn't like, where he/she will and won't be seen, and how they want to be served. LOL! :rolleyes:

Glad you liked Sabatinis, and many people do. It is a nice change from the DR. My only point is, don't mis-characterize it as 'gourmet' dining and a 'true European experience' because its not! (IMO) Our family found it fell short, relative to our expectations (too high) and relative to fine-dining northern Italian restaurants we visit here in Chicago. Just trying to set expectations for others.

Let us all know about the gourmet dining on your upcoming cruise on NCL.:p

We were on the Sapphire Princess for the 2004 Christmas/NewYear Cruise, & we ate 3 times in Sabatini's.

At the time, Sabatini's was the only specialty restaurant that charged extra & Sterling's was only one of the 4 alternate restaurants.

Our experience is that Sabatini's is the only restaurant on the ship that serves good food. We enjoyed most of their dishes as they were mostly good to very good, if not great.

My only complaint is that they gave us too much food, I wish they can offer less courses & charge less. Each time, we left so full we can barely walk LOL.

Compared to the food in the rest of the ship, I would day it's worth it if you have a big appetite. Much of the food in all the other restaurants on the Sapphire were barely edible. The Asian Food in Pacific Moon was a joke, & in Sterling's, the steaks were of poor quality, flavourless & dry even when we ordered medium rare. We never went back again as our steaks were so subpar. We would rather pay extra to eat in Sabatini's that's why we went for 3 evenings.

I realize it's 'true Italian food' me and dad went to the one on RCCL and the menu seems to be close to theirs.

I personally love Italian, and I'm not crazy about steaks.

IMO, you can always find something to complain about if you want, but... it's a good experience if you've never had 'real Italian' and want to try it out w/ out spending 100 or more like you normally would.

I have a question, they do Lunch on sea days, is it the same menu as at dinner? And, I generally like fruit Wine (like White Zindale) but would like to try a Italian wine... any suggestions?

Sabatini's is one of the restaurants that seems to have stood the test of time. In fact, it earned a very nice location of the Crown Princess adjoining Adagio. Apparently enough people like it very much.

I realize it's 'true Italian food' me and dad went to the one on RCCL and the menu seems to be close to theirs.

I personally love Italian, and I'm not crazy about steaks.

IMO, you can always find something to complain about if you want, but... it's a good experience if you've never had 'real Italian' and want to try it out w/ out spending 100 or more like you normally would.

I have a question, they do Lunch on sea days, is it the same menu as at dinner? And, I generally like fruit Wine (like White Zindale) but would like to try a Italian wine... any suggestions?

For a white I would recommend a Pinot Grigio. For a red wine I would ask what they have in a Fruitier, lighter bodied type of wine. They will then understand what you are looking for.

Interesting note. On American Mains stream cruise lines the number one seller is white zin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I generally like fruit Wine (like White Zindale) but would like to try a Italian wine... any suggestions?

Off topic ... if you're talking on on land (I don't know if Sabatinis has it, they might) try Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio from Italy. Pinot Grigio is my new favorite wine (very light) and I have found this brand to be the best. A little on the pricey side (about $20 a bottle), but everyone I've introduced it to loves it.

Off topic ... if you're talking on on land (I don't know if Sabatinis has it, they might) try Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio from Italy. Pinot Grigio is my new favorite wine (very light) and I have found this brand to be the best. A little on the pricey side (about $20 a bottle), but everyone I've introduced it to loves it.

I know the main dining room on Diamond & Island had the Santa Margherita. It was about $35/bottle, as I recall, which is about 2x retail (we get it at Cost Plus or Trader Joe's for $17-18/btl). Sabatini's was open for lunch on the Diamond repo we took a couple of years ago, with the full menu. We had just a muffin & coffee for breakfast & were late seating, so we did the proper thing after lunch - had a siesta (OK, that's Spanish, not Italian, but it's still very civilized), then went about the rest of our afternoon. If they offer Cavit or Mezza Corona (I don't recall seeing either), those are almost as good and about half the price - on land we can even find them for as little as $5 on sale.

My opinion: Skip the $10 one -- just do the $25. The appetisers add to the fun. /Sultan

And I noticed there's two wine tasting in the paper someone scanned online. a ten dollar one, and a 25 dollar one..

what's the difference, and is the more expensive one worth it?

I won't I love filet mignon better then "Italian" food! so I prefer the steak house-Meg loves Italian which is why she wants to go there.

Her dad and her will go for lunch as they are open for lunch . So she will do both. Unless she decides to dinner on her own the night her dad and I do the steak house.

I'll be sure and write those names down, thanks...

any suggestions on French wine?

And I noticed there's two wine tasting in the paper someone scanned online. a ten dollar one, and a 25 dollar one..

what's the difference, and is the more expensive one worth it?

I agree with Sultan ... we did the $10 one on the Island. It was something to do, as we had 5 sea days each way. We learned a couple things about wine in general, but the wine we tasted, was pretty ordinary stuff -- then again, it was only $10. If you're into wine, I would go straight to the $25 round -- but we never did this, so you'll have to find out from others whether they thought it was worth it.

Archived