Crocodile man killed by stingray

C 2 C

I'm not much into water sports nor adventure travel but this death is a shock for many TV watchers as well.

http://www.sabcnews.com/world/asia1pacific/0,2172,134230,00.html

September 04, 2006, 07:45

Steve Irwin, the quirky Australian naturalist who won worldwide acclaim, was killed by a stingray barb through the chest today while diving off Australia's northeast coast, emergency officials and witnesses said.

"Steve was hit by a stingray in the chest," said Steve Edmondson, a local diving operator whose Poseidon boats were out on the Great Barrier Reef when the accident occurred. "He probably died from a cardiac arrest from the injury."

Police and ambulance officials later confirmed Irwin had died and said his family had been advised.

Irwin (44) was killed while filming an underwater documentary off Port Douglas. Irwin had been diving off his boat "Croc One" near Batt Reef northeast of Port Douglas. A helicopter had taken paramedics to nearby Low Isles where Irwin was taken for medical treatment but he was dead before they arrived, police said.

Sal, it's pretty unlikely that you would get a barb through the chest at Stingray City since the water is less than waist high (unless you're quite short). You wouldn't be diving there, either. It's more of a stand/walk in the water and watch the rays around your legs.

I"m sure some folks may be allergic, but the lilkelihood of dying at Grand Cayman is pretty low.

This is sad news about Steve Irwin, but at least he was doing something he enjoyed at the time of this terrible event.

It’s very sad and such a tragic loss, I feel so sorry for his family.

I know I'm not diving with stingrays. My son-in-law was just stung on the foot while walking in knee deep water on a Texas beach. He said it was the worse pain he had ever experienced.

C-2-C; Are you canceling the 1-8-2007 cruise?

This is a very sad day for the world.

I am wondering whether to do the stingray trip at Grand Cayman now this has happened.

Truly a tragic event. I'm sure there will be an overreaction to his accident that will cause more than a few to cancel excursions to such places as Sting Ray City a and the Blue Lagoon.That is human nature.

This is only the third known death attributed to Sting Rays in Australia.

Life has it's risks...over 40,000 people a year die in traffic accidents,yet we worry more about flying when the first commercial airliner in five years goes down.

I'm sure more people have died scub/snorkling,or in simple drowning, than in stingray attacks.

On a cruise,there is probably greater risk at the buffet line than anywhere else.

Accidents will always happen,but we can't be afraid to live and that involves some risk.

C-2-C; Are you canceling the 1-8-2007 cruise?

Unfortunately events beyond our control requires rescheduling to a different time period. I get to enjoy January in the midwest instead of the Caribbean.

You got to love the expressive enthusiasm of the Aussies!

Weird how things go sometimes, Doug Coombs dies skiing in at 'La Grave", Irwin filming his critters... Professional courtesy aside, makes me wonder about snorkling 'shark alley' in Belize on... Thanksgiving...

Sad about his having young children.

Unfortunately events beyond our control requires rescheduling to a different time period. I get to enjoy January in the midwest instead of the Caribbean.

Too bad. We were looking forward to meeting you two.

You got to love the expressive enthusiasm of the Aussies!

Weird how things go sometimes, Doug Coombs dies skiing in at 'La Grave", Irwin filming his critters... Professional courtesy aside, makes me wonder about snorkling 'shark alley' in Belize on... Thanksgiving...

I have swam with the stingrays in Grand Caymen and Shark Ray Alley. I wouldn't give up those excursions. You have to remember that sting rays do not just sting you without provocation. It is a shame about Steve Irwin but we have no idea what he was doing to the sting rays when this happened.

We went to Stingray City in Grand Caymen. I forget the name of the actual tour excursion itself, but we received intense orientation on how to conduct ourselves amongst the stingrays while there--walking with your feet sliding in the sand only forward, never backward, never taking regular "steps" in the sand, never splashing, running. It was a thorough orientation. We also signed waivers for possible injuries.

As we were actually in the water, many times our guides called out warnings to people to remind them or proper "protocol".

That being said: it was emphasized to us--stingrays do not usually antagonize on their own, but what they may interpret as antagonization from us, is not always in our realm of understanding--thus all the notes of caution. I loved the excursion, but was I pretty hyper after all this talk --YOU BET.

We were thinking of taking the Stingray Excursion. I have had my doubts in the recent past, but now I'm thinking NOT. My girlfriend is still up for it, but I have changed my mind. I see some tourists have been stung while on this excursion, or one like it. The sting itself isn't as bad as some others, but can be very uncomfortable and will ruin your vacation.

I choose to find another way to amuse myself on Cayman Island.

Just a few thoughts I have

Glen and Wendy

So sad for his family. I like that Nanner reminded us that "at least he was doing what he loved." Wish the media wouldn't bring up the crocodile incident and focus on the good things he did instead!

We too have done the stingray excursion in Grand Caymen. We're planning on doing it again in November. It does make you think...but knowing Steve Irwin, my husband said he was probably trying to hold the ray up with both hands for the camera when it stung him.

Hplar, you don't really "dive" with the sting rays, you just wade in the water on a sand bar. The water is very clear. Even if you don't get in the water, it is really an experience to go on the excursion. The sting rays remind us of dogs in their personalities. They bump you to get your attention so you will feed them. I must say a lot of people scream and rush back to their boat (not to mention the wacky parents who "force" the experience on their little kids:confused: ).

We enjoyed the experience so much, I hope it doesn't stop fellow cruisers from going. I know we will certainly be thinking about poor Steve though.

I've done the Stingray City sand bar twice and agree with the posters that it's a 'must do'. I've not heard of any serious injuries there. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend/urge it as an excursion. The rays there are really fairly domestic. One bit my toe thinking it was bait food, but he let go immediately (probably startled both of us!)

Who knows what the facts are in the Irwin case (species/subspecies? water conditions [reportedly mixed weather], the area's rays are undoubtedly FAR LESS domesticated than GC). I'm sure Irwin would the first to say, "This was a REAL fluke, mate!".

In all records kept everywhere about people being killed by stingrays, only 14 people are ever on record as being killed by sting rays.

So it truly was a freak accident. You probly still need to be cautious at a place like Sting Ray city, but I would think that it is still relatively a safe place to visit. But like Gail said, they are wild animals and you never know.

Steve was on the Great Barrier Reef, he was swimming over top of a ray who was swinging his tail. He couldn;t get out of the way fast enough and the barb pierced his chest. The death was not caused by the Sting which will not kill you, only hurt, but rather that the barb pierced his heart. I doubt sincerely that any such thing could happen in the Caymans.

This is a very sad day for the world.

I am wondering whether to do the stingray trip at Grand Cayman now this has happened.

Yes it is:(:(:(

And, yes you should if you would like.:)

At this juncture it would wise to be sure that one is not swiming over the top of the rays and stay off to the side or below.

Steve was on the Great Barrier Reef, he was swimming over top of a ray who was swinging his tail. He couldn;t get out of the way fast enough and the barb pierced his chest. The death was not caused by the Sting which will not kill you, only hurt, but rather that the barb pierced his heart. I doubt sincerely that any such thing could happen in the Caymans.

I agree the sting isn't life threatening, but it would put a damper on your vacation. I'm sure it would require medical attention on the island, or on the ship, or both. Wouldn't want it to ruin our Vacation.

Glen and Wendy

Truly a tragic event. I'm sure there will be an overreaction to his accident that will cause more than a few to cancel excursions to such places as Sting Ray City a and the Blue Lagoon.That is human nature.

This is only the third known death attributed to Sting Rays in Australia.

Life has it's risks...over 40,000 people a year die in traffic accidents,yet we worry more about flying when the first commercial airliner in five years goes down.

I'm sure more people have died scub/snorkling,or in simple drowning, than in stingray attacks.

On a cruise,there is probably greater risk at the buffet line than anywhere else.

Accidents will always happen,but we can't be afraid to live and that involves some risk.

I agree with you but people will over react sting rays are very mild creatures this was just a terrible accident. lorelle

We went to Stingray City in Grand Caymen. I forget the name of the actual tour excursion itself, but we received intense orientation on how to conduct ourselves amongst the stingrays while there...

When we went to Sting Ray City in 2005 we also received a thorough orientation on how to "behave" around the sting rays before we go to the site and while we were in the water. I was told to put my feet down but when I looked down there were 4 sting rays below me - no way I was going to be putting my feet anywhere until those sting rays "sailed" by.

Also, I think it best to advise folks that you should not pick up a sting ray on your own - wait until your tour operator does that.

As already said by other posters, don't let what happened to Steve Irwin change your mind about going to Sting Ray City - you will have a great experience.:)

We went to Stingray City in Grand Caymen. I forget the name of the actual tour excursion itself, but we received intense orientation on how to conduct ourselves amongst the stingrays while there...

When we went to Sting Ray City in 2005 we also received a thorough orientation on how to "behave" around the sting rays before we go to the site and while we were in the water. I was told to put my feet down but when I looked down there were 4 sting rays below me - no way I was going to be putting my feet anywhere until those sting rays "sailed" by.

Also, I think it best to advise folks that you should not pick up a sting ray on your own - wait until your tour operator does that.

As already said by other posters, don't let what happened to Steve Irwin change your mind about going to Sting Ray City - you will have a great experience.:)

Ditto! I loved this experience and was very careful where I placed my feet. Since I had my mask/snorkle, I just floated and watched the stingrays swim by. It's an awesome experience. After hearing about Irwin's death, I figured some people would back out of this tour. Don't. Just listen to your guide and you'll be fine.

Stings are common on the Southern California beaches. Surfers and swimmers step on the rays accidently. It hurts quite a bit and the first aid is usually just hot water applied to the wound. Shuffling your feet when possible will cause the rays to swim off and not sting.

Sting ray trips are also popular in the French Polynesian Islands of Tahiti. The rays are big here, and they swim around you by the hundreds. If you sit down, they will swim up in your lap and you can pet them or feed them. Never heard of a sting on my many trips there, nor do I remember any special instruction.

When we were at Miami Airport waiting for a wheelchair, a young man hobbled in supported on each side by a friend and also waited for a wheelchair. Apparently, he was on a Caribbean Island and just went in for a paddle.

Stung by a stingray and his foot and ankle were really horribly swollen and he said he was in great pain. We were amazed!!

Archived