Teenager and formal night wear...

Mollyfrise

My 18-year-old is planning on wearing a nice shirt and pants, but doesn't want to wear a tie. Is that okay? Also, on the other nights, is his usual kid t-shirts okay to wear?

Molly, your question will draw many responses, and remember all are opinions and a few will cut and paste from cruise line websites. With that said, here's my opinion.

First, I have a 17 year old daughter, and we've joined other families on several cruises with teenage boys.

Your son will be OK, and that's a choice of words. A number of passengers of all ages don't dress on what the industry calls formal night. You will see a range of teens in tuxes to polos with a pair of khakis. A few wear jeans, and that inflames many that post on these boards.

The second part of your question is about t-shirts, and I understand kids have a collection of Abercrombie and Hollister shirts. On non-formal evenings the'd be fine, and the norm for kids his age. Don't miss a dining room meal based on what you wear.

All this opinion is based on several variables, the first is you posted on a Carnival board. I've seen a relaxed attire aboard Carnival and RCCL, and the length of the cruise, and season when you depart is a factor as well. More cruisers wear more casual clothes in the summer months.

Now, for a opinion or two. Most, if not all teenage boys could stand a good navy blue sport coat. Mens Warehouse has them, and Macys runs a sale almost monthly on them for around $100 or less.

If it were my kid the'd be dressed to match their parents, but at the least on formal night I suggest a the coat, a pair of khakis and a shirt with a collar at the minimum.

My daughter lives in a dictatorship in our house. As long as I make her car payment, insurance payment and DAD = ATM then she takes orders no matter what age :)

Finally, these are just opinions, not an attack on what you do or don't do on your vacation. I've never equated class with attire. If that were the case then Paris Hilton and most of Hollywood would be in the gutter (Aren't they all at some point?)

No one has ever had their entree change flavor based on what your kid wears...

Enjoy the time with your family on vacation.

Lee

At eighteen, isn't it about time to learn social graces and manners? And dress as a grownup?

I agree with Blusry; for a man, of any age, a navy blazer is an essential part of a man's wardrobe but on Carnival a simple sport coat and tie will suffice.

My 18-year-old is planning on wearing a nice shirt and pants, but doesn't want to wear a tie. Is that okay? Also, on the other nights, is his usual kid t-shirts okay to wear?

It would be nice if he wore a tie, but he does not have to and in spite of what anyone on here says no one on the ship will say anything about it if thingsd are a susual, especially since there is no dress code, only a suggested attire.

there is no dress code, only a suggested attire.

Suggested attire was what it used to say, now at the canival website it says "required" & no tee shirts.

Is there a dress code for the dining room?(from Carnival website)
spacer.gif
Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

I just say my 7 year old normal wears a tie. I think a 18 year old is ready to

wear a tie if not a sport coat. On non formal nights I feel t-shirts as long as

they are nice t-shirts without prints on them which have misc statements

which teenagers normall wear. I would sugguest a nice polo shirts to dinner

even dockers. Would be consider causal.

It would be nice if he wore a tie, but he does not have to and in spite of what anyone on here says no one on the ship will say anything about it if thingsd are a susual, especially since there is no dress code, only a suggested attire.

It's no longer suggested. It is now required.

We're not talking about a child here, 18 is an adult. That's besides the point because children are also required to dress appropriately too. I have two grown sons not so far from 18 (20 and 22) and they don't necessarily "like" wearing ties either but they do it because it's expected, required, etc in some situations and shows respect. They also do not wear t-shirts when it's not acceptable. Plenty of other time to dress casually on the cruise. Dressing up and respecting the rules is not going to hurt him or anyone else.

It's no longer suggested. It is now required.

Please send the cruise ship details you were on where people not in formal attire were turned away from the dining room.

Remember, this is a Carnival board. The poster asked if a polo and slacks would be OK on formal night. Kudos to any line that enforces their rules, but you might have stumbled on a first. If you've seen people turned away in that specific attire aboard a Carnival ship for formal night in the dining room then you might well be the first I've heard in 15 cruises over 30 years.

I posted on what I have seen versus what is posted as required. I could be wrong, but all I ask are specifics about the ship and cruise date.

First, I have a 17 year old daughter, and we've joined other families on several cruises with teenage boys.

Your son will be OK, and that's a choice of words. A number of passengers of all ages don't dress on what the industry calls formal night. You will see a range of teens in tuxes to polos with a pair of khakis. A few wear jeans, and that inflames many that post on these boards.

The second part of your question is about t-shirts, and I understand kids have a collection of Abercrombie and Hollister shirts. On non-formal evenings the'd be fine, and the norm for kids his age. Don't miss a dining room meal based on what you wear.

I also have sailed with a 17yro, (my son) who only wears Abercrombie, American Eagle, & Hollister. You do realize that all of these stores sell very nice button down shirts.

All this opinion is based on several variables, the first is you posted on a Carnival board. I've seen a relaxed attire aboard Carnival and RCCL, and the length of the cruise, and season when you depart is a factor as well. More cruisers wear more casual clothes in the summer months.

I think the same could be said for all cruise lines.

Now, for a opinion or two. Most, if not all teenage boys could stand a good navy blue sport coat. Mens Warehouse has them, and Macys runs a sale almost monthly on them for around $100 or less.

I agree, most children,(of any age), have school functions, weddings, & funerals to attend to.

My daughter lives in a dictatorship in our house. As long as I make her car payment, insurance payment and DAD = ATM then she takes orders no matter what age :)

You might benefit from Oprah's show tomorrow!

Finally, these are just opinions, not an attack on what you do or don't do on your vacation. I've never equated class with attire. If that were the case then Paris Hilton and most of Hollywood would be in the gutter (Aren't they all at some point?)

???

Lee

I really don't think there should be acceptations for children.

Please send the cruise ship details you were on where people not in formal attire were turned away from the dining room.

Remember, this is a Carnival board. The poster asked if a polo and slacks would be OK on formal night. Kudos to any line that enforces their rules, but you might have stumbled on a first. If you've seen people turned away in that specific attire aboard a Carnival ship for formal night in the dining room then you might well be the first I've heard in 15 cruises over 30 years.

I posted on what I have seen versus what is posted as required. I could be wrong, but all I ask are specifics about the ship and cruise date.

First off, I was "speaking" not to the OP but another poster.

Details mean nothing, as the only one who really counts is the maitre d', but being you're asking, I only had a table near the entrance once. I saw people not dressed appropriately referred the the other room. I wouldn't have noticed, except when there was a "pax challenge". Then the soon followed huff.

This was on the Imagination, and I believe that is a Carnival ship. It was in the Spirit dining room, the first table for 10 as you enter, on the left.

I'll have to check my tickets if you also require the Captain, the Mairte D', and the servers names.

And, I would never give someone looking for information what my opinion is, cause again, the only thing that matters is the man at the door. I'd hate to be the one embarrased being directed elsewhere because someone here told me I would be fine.

There's a 50/50 chance of that.

Happy cruising!

We sail on Sunday on the Conquest. Our DS is 5 and has been cruising since 3. He knows there is a time and place for almost everything. He will be wearing a suit and tie, as he always does on formal nights. The ships dining room is for the requested/suggested (mere semantics) attire of the line, and it is no different for children. But an 18 year old is not a child and would be upset if referred to as such. He does not have to do the dining room dress code at the buffet and that may be more to his liking anyway. But if he/you as parents decide to dine in the dining room, please were the proper attire.

It's time young adults learn what's appropriate and comply with the rules. It makes life much easier from this perspective when working (either now or later on). There are rules about dress code where I work that I may not like, but they are what they are. Can someone get fired because of what they are or aren't wearing - yes. Can someone be refused entry to the dining room on a ship - certainly. Besides, everyone dressed up makes for great family portraits and souvenirs.

Great, another argumentative clothing post moved to the fashion board :)

First off, I had to re-read the OP a couple of times, to realize they were writing about an 18 year old, not an 8 year old. I know, your kid will always be your kid, no matter how old they get, but in reality 18 is no longer considered a kid.

I have a 17 year old son and a 14 year old daughter, so I'm in the middle of teen years. When they go to school or out with friends, or at home, they are allowed to dress as they please. When they go out to dinner with us, or on a cruise, I tell them what clothing to wear and I get no argument. They know the difference and are willing to comply, they also know that when I lay down the rules, I really mean it.

Will your food taste different if he doesn't wear a tie? Of course not and that is the silliest argument I've ever read on these boards regarding dress code, the two have no connection. It is formal night, period.

Will he not be allowed into the dining room? Well, I don't know, that will be up to the discretion of the Maitre d' at the door.

Will you see others not dressed appropriately, of course you will, it's people and many bend the rules as far as they can. But, just because someone else does, do others really have to follow a bad example?

T-shirts, you can read the brochure and they politely ask you not to.

I think 18 is plenty old enough to learn how to dress for an occasion. Of course, I also think 8 or younger is old enough, too. My son has not only worn a jacket and tie to formal nights on every cruise we've been on, he now owns his first tuxedo. After renting a couple of times for school dances, we bought him one and will save $$ in the long run.

But, we're talking about an 18 year old, they really can make their own choices, they are adults at this point, not kids. So, go and enjoy your cruise and don't worry so much about what your adult child chooses to wear.

I do not have kids but do have a niece and nephew who travel with me occasionally on cruises.

Most recently I took my 19YO nephew and his best friend with me on a three night Bahamas cruise. I had taken him with me previously, three years ago and five years ago.

I always let him know what I expect him to wear for diiner in the dining room. The rest of the time it is up to him.

He has always looked great and never disappointed me. I=He knows that if he did not dress properly, he would not be joining me again.

On our last cruise, on Formal night, there was a man in the dinning room, eating, that had on a tank top style undershirt and jean shorts! :eek:

He looked like he just crawled away from the bar.

I've been on ships where groups of teens not wearing ties and coats were turned away. It seems there is a perception they are "up to no good" when they can't follow they simple guidelines.

It's rude to expect to participate in "formal" night but refuse to dress the part.

As the mother of a 20 year old son, I feel compelled to jump into this conversation! He has never cruised with me and probably never will, just not his thing. BUT, if he did, he would be well prepared, because I just bought him a new suit at Kohl's (jacket, pants and a pair of jeans, less than $100!)

He knows that there are times he can't wear his jeans, gym shorts or t-shirts. Just recently he attended the funeral of a friend and was dressed very nicely in a shirt, tie and dress pants. He asked me if I would help him with a suit, because he was going to a wedding and also knew that he should have one for future events.

AND I don't know who made the comment about "living in my house..." but they are right on. I don't know your circumstances, but both of my kids still live at home (20 & 22) and yes, I do have final say, especially if I'm paying for the cruise!!:rolleyes:

I don't remember actually TEACHING my kids appropriate dress...perhaps it's something they picked up from DH and me?:)

On our last cruise, on Formal night, there was a man in the dinning room, eating, that had on a tank top style undershirt and jean shorts! :eek:

He looked like he just crawled away from the bar.

Sounds like the Maitre'D was definitely not doing his job that night. When we sailed on the Valor last December, my son saw a man and his son being turned away from the dining room on a NON-formal night because they were dressed in shorts and t's.

BTW, it was our 16 year old son who insisted that he and his dad rent tuxes for our cruise.....they looked fabulous! He wore khakis and a polo or button down shirt in the dining room on the other nights.

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

We took my son (17 at the time) and his cousin (19 at the time) on a Princess cruise this past February. My son and husband had no trouble with formal night as they have the wardrobe for it (my son's HS required shirts and ties and they also required a navy blue blazer at minimum). My nephew was very concerned he would not be dressed appropriately, so he went out and purchased a new suit and sport's coat. He also purchased several new shirts, one of which was not to be worn with a tie. He never did wear that one. :p Let me also state that said nephew has dreds (a big hit in Jamacia to see a "white boy with dreds" .) So, if a kid that wears dreds, works as a journeyman plumber and never owned a tie in his life can dress decently for dinner, I think most teenagers can manage it.

Even though my son has moved on to college and a (much more) relaxed manner of dress, he cannot wait to go cruising again. He will need new clothing since he has grown, but he knows what is required on formal night.

At 18, he's going to have to dress up for a lot of situations in the future...weddings, funerals, holidays, graduations, special dinners, etc...

It won't hurt him to have a decent suit and dress shoes in his wardrobe and, speaking as a 22 year old, we like to see guys all dressed up. It doesn't have to cost a lot. Like my mom (gjules) said earlier, we got my brother a very nice suit fairly inexpensively and it wasn't cheaply made imo. Just watch out for sales and he should be able to find something.

I just feel it's important for those of us in that age bracket, if we want to be treated as adults, to act like adults and dress appropriately for the situation. If he dresses the part, I think he'll be surprised at how much respect he gets.

Archived