Should NCL Allow you to prebook spec rest seating?

Should NCL allow pre-booking of Specialty Restaurant seating, before the cruise?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Should NCL allow pre-booking of Specialty Restaurant seating, before the cruise?

I was teasing, newlywed. I'm sure you're the epitome of flexibility. :)

I really think this issue boils down to what you expect from your cruise. My family is scheduled down to the minute on most days, and I don't want that on vacation. We see how each day shapes up, then make our plans from there. I don't want to book a week's worth of special reservations, although I understand some people do. I would rather not be tied down to specific times.

Well if you book on-line or the first day of the cruise it shouldn't effect you one way or the other if you ARE flexible right? I personally think they shouldn't allow reservations at all except maybe at LeBistro or whatever their high-end adults-only restaurant is called & that would TRULY be free-style.

I voted No.

But if they go ahead and do it, then they should limit it. It needs to be done in a way that gives all passengers a shot at making a reservation. They should limit the advance registrations to a certain percentage of the available seating, and also limit the number of advance registrations per cabin to no more than 2 for example.

"if", while on a cruise..i wish to try one of the speciality restaurants..i will see if they have room at that time. never will i pre-book for dinner, i really like the "freestyle".

the problems are too many to count...last minutes cruise cancelations, but the computer doesn't cancel the dinner ressies. a big event that gets pushed off the books because the computer over-booked that time/restaurant.

A "no" vote for me. IMO, prebooking all your restaurants defeats the purpose of freestyle dining. I'm actually against being able to book them all on the day of boarding too. If it was up to me, I'd have about a 48 hour window where you could book the specialty restaurants, and I'd rather see it implemented through an interactive TV screen from your cabin than have to stand in line to make them once you board the ship.

A "no" vote for me. IMO, prebooking all your restaurants defeats the purpose of freestyle dining. I'm actually against being able to book them all on the day of boarding too. If it was up to me, I'd have about a 48 hour window where you could book the specialty restaurants, and I'd rather see it implemented through an interactive TV screen from your cabin than have to stand in line to make them once you board the ship.

This would work for me!

Although, I think it would be nice to allow people to pre-book 1 night. That way they could plan ahead for a special event like a birthday or anniversary. Other than that I like the idea of the interactive screen and a 48 hour window.

This would work for me!

Although, I think it would be nice to allow people to pre-book 1 night. That way they could plan ahead for a special event like a birthday or anniversary. Other than that I like the idea of the interactive screen and a 48 hour window.

I vote interactive screen & 48 hr window, but I'm not sure I'd go for one night registration, but others may have a different opinion. Hopefully NCL will listen to the majority (right now over half vote no)

If it was up to me, I'd have about a 48 hour window where you could book the specialty restaurants, and I'd rather see it implemented through an interactive TV screen from your cabin than have to stand in line to make them once you board the ship.

BINGO !!! :eek: A window of opportunity and "interactive TV" in your cabin. Only fair way to go about it.

I'd hate to see all the restaurants booked when people book their cruise, a few years in advance, like some of the more popular ones are now at Disney World. :rolleyes:

If I have to end up doing "speed dial" then I will settle for the "free restaurants" in stead. :(

I vote no because it will be bad for business. I foresee all speciality restaurants being booked solid 18 months prior to the cruise. This will not encourage any spur of the moment last minutes cruises. If they limit the number of reservations, where do they do it? 10%, 20%, 90%, 100%? Whatever NCL decides, some one trying to book a cruise 18 months in advance will get angry when they are told you can't book a table for the restaurant of your choice at the time of your choice even 18 months in advance. If NCL makes passengers wait until Final Payement Day to book reservations, there will be just as many angry passengers who wish to do so prior to Final Payment Day. In the long run, more passengers will be extremely angry than those who aren't! So angry they might cancel the cruise, or won't ever book a cruise after Final Payment Day!

I will not book a cruise if I can't get a FAIR chance to reserve a table when I want to. As things were, everyone had an equal chance to book a table at the restaurant of their choice upon boarding the ship.

Say everyone were able to do 1 prebooking per cruise, you're looking at say what 2000 pax? That still greatly hinders the amount of available spots once you get on the cruise. What if all 2000 pax decide to book Teppanyaki with its limited seating, you are looking at an entire restaurant booked up during the cruise.

It's gotta be all or **hopefully** nothing.

I voted no but then my handicapped father called. If I could vote again, I would vote yes but with limits. Cruisers with disabilities and/or special needs (ie: diabetes) should be allowed to prebook. There are some passengers who need to eat by certain times because of medications and sometimes tables or chairs need to be rearranged to accomadate wheelchairs.

While I love the freedom of freestyle, someone traveling with me might not be able to be as flexible. I would like to know that my Dad can eat supper when he needs to (around 6pm) while DH and I can eat when we normally do at home (around 9pm).

Angie

I voted no but then my handicapped father called. If I could vote again, I would vote yes but with limits. Cruisers with disabilities and/or special needs (ie: diabetes) should be allowed to prebook. There are some passengers who need to eat by certain times because of medications and sometimes tables or chairs need to be rearranged to accomadate wheelchairs.

While I love the freedom of freestyle, someone traveling with me might not be able to be as flexible. I would like to know that my Dad can eat supper when he needs to (around 6pm) while DH and I can eat when we normally do at home (around 9pm).

Angie

That is why Freestyle is so great:D None of this is a problem now, why should it be:confused: He can snack all day.......eat in the Blue Lagoon at any time..etc. go to dinner at 6 with a choice of 10 restaurants.

Angie

Angie: You have quite a few NCL cruises under your belt, my question is, have you ever not been able to get a seat at a time you wanted? If you've had a problem had you tried booking at the start of the cruise? I think your father can still be accomodated under the current system, but you may see it differently. I mean, if there has been a problem before, then I think you would be right to vote yes w/ limitations, but if there hasn't then I cannot really forsee where the current system would be a problem.

JMO:rolleyes:

I know I have had problems getting a dinner reservation 24 hours in advance on the Dawn. I was told certain restaurants were booked & those that weren't had dining times after 9pm which was too late for us because our children were still young so we were very limited in our choices. I learned the next time we cruised on the Dawn that I had better be standing in line that first day with all the other people if I hoped to dine at any specialty restaurants. Again I wish you weren't allowed to book in advance at all, but that is never going to happen & not everyone agrees with that approach either.

I am also not trying to argue but I am just trying to see what difference it makes if you are allowed to book on-line in advance or stand in line the first day. Either way people are being allowed to book in advance & it does make choosing a specialty restaurant at the last minute very difficult. Yes I can see that booking on-line might make some people book times that might not have because it is so much more convenient, but if they put limits on what you can book, perhaps require a deposit, or leave a certain amount to be booked on board, it would hopefully still allow those people that are very flexible & don't mind which restaurant or time they eat to get a last minute reservation.

that's what was so great this last cruise with 7 family members. the young ones (married) went on a date nite, they had places they could go for a "special"nite. the FIL (health issues) could get anything from soup /salad to a full meal. one night he dressed up, a couple of night later he wasn't going to join us..he thought his jump-suit would not be allowed in Aqua. we told him as long as it wasn't "blue jeans" he was fine.

i don't like big meals all the time, i had lunch most days at Blue Lagoon.

the only reservations we made were the day of, after we took stock and made sure it would work for everyone.

wheelchairs were never a problem. we would fold it up and put in in a vacant space. if he had needed to stay in the wheelchair, every table we got had room.

i don't think it would have been so easy if we had to compete with everyone booking their reservations months in advance. i know the family would not have gone on the cruise, they would not pre-plan anything, even excursions. (we did our thing, they did theirs)

that's what was so great this last cruise with 7 family members. the young ones (married) went on a date nite, they had places they could go for a "special"nite. the FIL (health issues) could get anything from soup /salad to a full meal. one night he dressed up, a couple of night later he wasn't going to join us..he thought his jump-suit would not be allowed in Aqua. we told him as long as it wasn't "blue jeans" he was fine.

i don't like big meals all the time, i had lunch most days at Blue Lagoon.

the only reservations we made were the day of, after we took stock and made sure it would work for everyone.

wheelchairs were never a problem. we would fold it up and put in in a vacant space. if he had needed to stay in the wheelchair, every table we got had room.

i don't think it would have been so easy if we had to compete with everyone booking their reservations months in advance. i know the family would not have gone on the cruise, they would not pre-plan anything, even excursions. (we did our thing, they did theirs)

I don't believe we are talking about making reservations for the "main free restaurants"....Aqua being one of them. Those will still be available anytime with no ressies. We are talking about the "speciality pay$ restaurants" that normaly require one to make reservations anyway but not usually till you get on the ship. We are debating whether it would be a good thing or not if we were able to book these pay per dine specialty restaurants online before our cruise. I voted NO.

I doubt I would cross NCL off my list just because I could not get into a speciality restaurant even though we dine in them at least 4 times per cruise if not more. I just go to the 3 "free main dining rooms". ..

the young ones got ressies the same day for the soho, DH and i got in at Endless Summer with a 15 min wait. all 7 of us got into Cagney's with ressies made late the day before. we got ressies at Vaiselles for lobster night. due to FIL's health he needs to eat at certain times. but he really wanted lobster.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The current system is fine. Suite passengers and Latitude members are given priority boarding and they should have the opportunity to book specialty restaurants when they board if they wish. If they allow internet booking, all the specialty restaurants could be booked weeks before the cruise. Suite passengers pay extra to have the concierge book specialty restaurants for them. Latitude members deserve priority over first time cruisers who would have a travel agent book restaurants they know nothing about. In addition, Platinum members receive a complimentary dinner at one of the specialty restaurants, a perk they have earned. Leave current freestyle dining the way it is.

NCL needs to work on the basics of A LOT of things before they attempt something complicated like this.

The NCL Agents in general are lost. Seriously don't know what they are doing, the company needs to focus on THIS core issue before adding anything else more complicated.

You call the Bar Set up number and the agents answering the phone have NEVER HEARD of this service. Again, they have lots to work on before adding anything else complicated.

Customer Service in general on this line needs to improve before they add this in. With the current customer service a passanger would walk in to Le Bistro "Hi, I am here for my dinner, I made the reservation online" The staff at Le Bistro would look at their reservation book and of course not find your reservation and since the entire resteraunt is booked now for the entire cruise, guess what?.......you are SOL. Can't you just hear it......"We don't have any reservation for you and we are now booked up, sorry!" You have to just KNOW that that scenario would happen over and over again with the current Customer Service situation on NCL. They have a long, long way to go before they can manage on-line advanced dinner reservations.

They desperately need to work on the basics!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The current system is fine. Suite passengers and Latitude members are given priority boarding and they should have the opportunity to book specialty restaurants when they board if they wish. If they allow internet booking, all the specialty restaurants could be booked weeks before the cruise. Suite passengers pay extra to have the concierge book specialty restaurants for them. Latitude members deserve priority over first time cruisers who would have a travel agent book restaurants they know nothing about. In addition, Platinum members receive a complimentary dinner at one of the specialty restaurants, a perk they have earned. Leave current freestyle dining the way it is.

Absolutely agree! DW and I were lucky enough to be in a suite on the Star 6/4/06. Even though we had our specialty reservations planned before we got on board and filled out our card for the concierge as soon as we arrived, the concierge, who was wondeful, had to call back several times to rearrange reservations because the specialty restaurants were "booked" for the times we wanted. We dined in all of the specialty resturants except Endless Summer and, other than Teppanyaki (12 seats), the rest ranged from not very crowded to nearly deserted when we were there. I am guessing this is due to people making resevations at the beginning of the cruise and then cancelling.:confused: I think online reservations would only make this worse.

I could not disagree more. Why should any cruiser repeat or not get preferential treatment when booking a specialty restaurant? Just because I am a first time cruiser should I not be allowed to book a restaurant before a Latitude member or a Platinum member?

Perks are what they are and I do believe that repeat business should be rewarded, but it seems like you are suggesting going back to a class dining structure.

Definitely not my idea of freestyle.

I voted no, but if they started doing it, I'd probably book a bunch in advance and then start cancelling reservations when I got on the ship and had a chance to check out the menus in the main dining rooms.

Yes, I know we can "usually" see menus in advance (from various postings) but until we board & check ourselves we would have no assurance the menus would be presented in the same order, or if the menus were the same on our sailing as what I saw on the web.

Overall-this seems like it would be a pain ITA.

jmo

-Monte

I disagree with this. Latitude members should have many perks, but getting specialty restaurant reservations over "first time cruisers" is not one of them. All pax who book are entitled to equal access to book those restaurants--and, in fact, NCL uses that as a huge selling point for Freestyle cruising (and a way to lure those who cruise on other lines to try NCL). That's like saying that Latitudes members should have priority seating at the shows or all the lounges by the pools--things that all pax, regardless of how many times they've cruised on NCL or what category they book, pay for and are entitled to use. The complimentary dinner for Platinum is a nice perk and, as you note, earned. I wasn't aware that one of the main reasons people book suites is to have the concierge book specialty restaurants for them. That it's a perk in the suites is great, but I don't think this is any reason to not allow pax in lower category staterooms to book the restaurants on their own.

beachchick

Archived