Do You Miss Work while Cruising?

raina*faith

In a word "NO".... but there again I'm semi-retired from a school district. I dabble in selling skin care products and color cosmetics now. But my DH, he works long-long hours and is unable to take more than 5-days off at once (M-F). I would say he's a workaholic. We both enjoy cruising very much though:D

Linda

Definitely not! Our cruise this year is during Christmas break, so we won't miss any work. My DH and I are both teachers, and we are not allowed to miss the day before or the day after any holiday days off, so we have to plan our vacations around the school holidays. However, I'm an English teacher, so I usually have some essays with me to grade.

Making your own bed while on a cruise?? Your guy needs some serious therapy... *L*

I'm with the rest of you... work is the furthest thing from my mind when on a cruise.

I got a healthy dose of reality when I retired (for the 1st time) 5 yrs ago.. Had been running a prison foodservice operation feeding 2000 a meal for 25 yrs. Came the day to retire and I walked out the door... and guess what? They served breakfast the next morning w/o me.. That's how essential I was.. *L*

Still feeding inmates today, but on a smaller scale and for a private contractor, but when it comes time for vacation I trust my staff to handle things and am not about to call or e-mail to check on things.

I mean what's the worst case scenario? They starve while I'm gone? Sadly, there's more where the current batch came from.

Vacation is all about sea air, sand, palm trees and rum. Why ruin any of that by letting work intrude. Not a chance!!

Making your own bed while on a cruise?? Your guy needs some serious therapy... *L*

I don't thnk so! My DH is similar, some people just like to be active and busy and can only relax when they feel things are just so. I too enjoy watching my DH finally relax, which is not very often. I think relaxing to him really is going out on a 50 mile cycle ride, that he truly enjoys. We can't all be the same!

Now to me relaxing is lying in a lounger, doing nothing! Maybe a bit of light reading, if that!

In a word---NEVER!

And I LOVE my job, in general. (oh, there are days...)

I am a fifth grade teacher. I NEED my vacations...whether it is a cruise over one of our breaks or summer break...to recharge. Teaching requires major multi-tasking (studies have been shown that teachers make HUNDREDS of decisions each working day), often hours at home in the evening or weekend, and is emotionally draining, too. I LOVE it. But if I couldn't get away from it I would burn out.

I love cruising because it is such a break from reality. No real TV (and this from a news junky), communication w/ home severely compromised. I also love one vacation a year away from my children. Recharging for the marriage...;) We cruised w/ the kids last Xmas. Fun, but exhausting. Plus 7 days in one room...pretty cozy!

But I'll keep working so I can keep paying for those cruises!!:D

Hi:

A big NO here. I don't even think about work when I'm working....just thinking about my next cruise. I just go to work so I'm able to continue my cruising habit. As some others have said, I do miss my two dogs, very much. I tell them I'll be right back in the mornings when I leave for work and I'm not gone very long. When I tell them that when I go on vacation, I feel like such a traitor, as I've gone a week or more. Someone said dogs don't know how long you're gone, but mine do. They get mad the minute they see the suitcases come out, and I wish there was some way I could take them with me.

Happy Cruising.....Sparkle 10:)

Well...let me see how I can answer that question and not get booted from CC...that has to be the worst question I have ever heard...who in their right mind would pay thousands of dollars to go on a cruise and miss work?

If you do, save the money...stay home and go to work!

Not me and not anyone I know...if I did know someone like that I would send them to a shrink!:cool:

Abso-smurfly NOT! ! ! Do I even think about work on a cruise? Not on your life. My holiday, my time - I'm selfish about it and proud to say it. I've earned the vacation time I'm taking and not going to let my job interfere with it in any way, shape or form. My job will be there long after I'm gone, so I'm not going to give it a moment's thought while I'm away.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

This may surprise some of you, but in many ways I do miss work. I was one of the editors of a car magazine and in addition to evaluating a lot of expensive "toys," I often traveled to the places they were built--Germany, France, Japan, Italy, and England, as well as a lot of other spots such as Australia and North Africa. Stayed in the best of places on the Riviera, in Tuscany, the Black Forest, etc. And all the time I drew a paycheck! Also, I worked with a great group of creative, fun-loving people who are my best friends.

But, sooner or later ya gotta retire and my wife and I chose to do so in 2001. I still do some work for my long-time employer, but I don't have that daily commute and those times when work interferes with your personal life (don't it always?). Anyway, now we are free to spend our nest egg cruising, which ain't all bad :) .

I don't think I "miss" work, but my last cruise I thought about work way too much. I had an argument with another lawyer (total jerk who is now being grieved by two other women) right before I left and that weighed on my mind. Also, I represent children, and a few of them called my cell phone while I was gone. No way to pick up a call from a 12 year old in distress three days after the fact and not worry about it. I also kind of have to keep tabs on a few things while I'm gone- always works out that way. For some messed up reason, I always schedule vacations right around pay day, so I call the ofice to see if checks arrived and call the bank, too. Bummer!

But this is the small price I pay for having a full time job and 5 kids and cruising twice a year.

This cruise I am going to try to leave work behind much more. I still have to check messages to see if there is a problem with my own kids, though....

• 1 month later...

I am semi retired but I am doing consulting work and recruiting recently, but when I go on my next cruise on Jan 25 ...........Hell NO I will not miss it LOL. Not one little bit, and I actually enjoy my work........but let's face it, work is work is work.............I would rather be cruising for sure!!!!!!!

Archived