How to modify itinerary?

JDSTURTZ

We have booked the December 18. 2007 Hawaii cruise on Diamond Princess. This looks like a great way to spend the holidays. There is one problem with the itinerary, we will be in Honolulu on Christmas Day. This is one of only three days per year when the USS Arizona Memorial is closed. DS will be heart broken if we miss it. He is our 12 year old history buff.

Would it be worth writing a letter to Princess suggesting a modification or would they put a big "FOOL" sign on our cabin door?

We have booked the December 18. 2007 Hawaii cruise on Diamond Princess. This looks like a great way to spend the holidays. There is one problem with the itinerary, we will be in Honolulu on Christmas Day. This is one of only three days per year when the USS Arizona Memorial is closed. DS will be heart broken if we miss it. He is our 12 year old history buff.

Would it be worth writing a letter to Princess suggesting a modification or would they put a big "FOOL" sign on our cabin door?

Why would you assume that would be even remotely possible. :confused: Ships plan years ahead of time where and when they will be in port. What ever "alternate" date they would come up with might mean: no room in port, steaming many more miles due to the port switching, rearranging longshoremen schedules for itinerary changes....... and those are just the few that come to mind as I type.

If your son is so set on seeing the memorial, why don't you reschedule to a different ship, cruise line, or date. Your trip is over a year away. It is not like they hide the fact they would be in Honolulu on Christmas day :confused: , and nothing is open that day. ;)

The hostility. This was meant to be light hearted, not serious at all.

But I will say that while all of the things you mention may be true, cruise lines do listen to their customers. Our X Constellation cruise last November had a similar but not identical situation. X changed the itinerary taking away St. Kitts and adding an additional day in the Dominican Repupublic. A letter writing campaign was started on these boards and X returned to the original itinerary.

Anyway, with the $$ they are charging, Princess could afford to go 30 minutes out of there way to the next stop, then back to Honolulu. The Hawaiian islands are not that far apart.

sorry if you found me to be hostile...I was only answering what appeared to be a serious question.

...but changing "back to an original itinerary" is very different than changing an itinerary because of Christmas...maybe there are many other people on your cruise who are glad to be in that port on Christmas day, and booked the cruise because of it.

No hostility here. :) Have you joined a roll call for your specific cruise? Maybe you could get a letter writing campaign started there. Honestly, I don't think the itinerary will change (for many already stated) reasons, but you could try. At least, no one will put a big "FOOL" sign on your door. :p

I can understand your DS's disappointment. My dad was a WWII vet who was at Pearl Harbor, and I'd have been crushed to miss the Arizona Memorial.

Good luck.

Elf

I think they arrange the itinarary without looking at things like that.

We are doing the Seattle to Sydney on the SUN in 2007 and we will be in Papeete on a Sunday when everything is closed, why they would do that is beyond me when there are sea days and other islands to go but I am hoping that because a ship 3 times the size of the TP will be in port some of the stores and the market will open:D

You have nothing to loose by writing a letter, maybe it hasn't occured to them and they may very well change if they have a lot of requests:)

If it's important to you, you could probably modify the itinerary yourself by staying overnight in Honolulu, and then catching an island-hopper to your next port early the next afternoon.
I don't believe you can do that since if you disembark in one port and embark in another in HI, you violate the Passenger Services Act and it'll cost you hundreds of $$$. I've heard $500 and $750 so I don't think that's an option. On both LA > HI > LA cruises I've been on, they made a very big deal about not getting left behind at any port, with notices and warnings in the Patter.

As for this being poor itinerary planning, any port they're in on Christmas Day will have major closures so that even though you'll miss the Arizona Memorial, you would/could have missed something equally interesting and important to others in another port. Which port would you switch for Maui if you could?

With a year off, why not do an open jaw flight and fly back to Honolulu from Maui after or before your cruise, then home?? Could also extend your time and just do an interisland round trip, and round trip Maui flights from home??

As much as it is important for you to be in the port another day, you can bet that there would be others who would be dissapointed that the change had been made. Your 12 year old son will have plenty of time in his life to make this trip again, esp as you live in California.

Somehow it does seem a bit odd that you would suggest the itinerary of a cruiseship to be altered due to your son's personal interest.

It is often almost impossible to tell which posts are lighhearted and which are not. The fact that you posted a nearly identical message on your ports of call thread, seems to belay that assertion.

Given the name of the thread started and the fact that you did not use emoticons ( little smileys etc). It is not fair to complain that people took your thread seriously.

...all you have to do is have the Arizona Memorial opened. :rolleyes:

As Larry would say " if ya don't think that's funny, get outa here"

DS will be heart broken if we miss it.

He should be happy enough to be on a ship in Hawaii:confused:

Certainly know that we would have if we were fortunate enough to have been on a cruise when we were 12.

But, we had to wait till we were more than twice that age and pay for it our selfs. Wonder how we grew up normal?

Why have Princess change the itinerary when all you have to do is have the Arizona Memorial opened. :rolleyes:

(It's so easy when you know the answer!:cool:

I think the OP's chance of getting that done is greater than getting a cruise line to change an itinerary for no other reason.

If they change the itinerary then they get the complaints from those who say "I booked the cruise so I could spend Christmas day with my family in Honolulu !!!". Princess would never win in that situation.

Why have Princess change the itinerary when all you have to do is have the Arizona Memorial opened. :rolleyes:

(It's so easy when you know the answer!:cool:

it takes a sailboater to think outside of the box:D ...but to take your idea a bit further, we could always change the date of Christmas, just this one time:p

it takes a sailboater to think outside of the box:D ...but to take your idea a bit further, we could always change the date of Christmas, just this one time:p

Maybe we could change calenders. (Just an idea.....) :D

ps. Almost bought a Cat in the BVI's for us and charter, it sold before I could get an offer in (yes, a blind offer...)

Don

Maybe we could change calenders. (Just an idea.....) :D

ps. Almost bought a Cat in the BVI's for us and charter, it sold before I could get an offer in (yes, a blind offer...)

Don

from the Moorings? ...made is South Africa?

Someone I know here bought a 46ft cat new in South Africa and his wife and prof. Captain sailing it over to Florida..taking 10 weeks to do so. Some trip.

from the Moorings? ...made is South Africa?

Someone I know here bought a 46ft cat new in South Africa and his wife and prof. Captain sailing it over to Florida..taking 10 weeks to do so. Some trip.

Not that big, a lagoon38 owners layout 2003..... very nice

Archived