Lesbian Couples who love cruising

mithryl

Hello All - I am a frequent reader of this thread but rarely a poster. I feel like I know so many of you from following the threads. We have also relocated this year, from California to Harrisburg, PA. Quite a culture shock, but I have finally achieved a career change that I have been pursuing for years!

We have sailed with Olivia a number of times, but due to our decreased income, we are now looking for more economical choices (and my wife can't give up that balcony..) We have just booked the Noordam Southern Caribbean leaving 11/3/10. We are pretty loyal to HAL, have sailed several other lines but just like HAL best. We would however sail Silverseas if we won the lottery :D.

Just wanted to say Hi and wish you all safe and wonderful travels. Maybe someday I will meet some of you.

Blessings,

Suzanne

My partner and I have sailed NCL a few times- We can get a suite for the price of Olivia- nice perks! I like Olivia- but have a hard time spending that kind of money! I do agree on Silverseas- someday!!! Happy sailing!

We are a lesbian couple together for 21 years (legally married for 2yrs in June) who love to travel. We truly enjoyed our HAL Olivia 7 day cruise to the Mexican Riviera in Oct 2005 and the HAL Olivia 10 day Mediterranean Cruise in Summer 2007 but are considering taking cruises on other lines that are more economical since we must have a balcony and/or a suite and the Olivia price premium is too much to pay for the accomodations. We want to go to the Caribbean on a cruise incuding San Juan Puerto Rico but we are not sure which cruise line to try, Royal Caribbean or Carnival which go to the ports we want to see? Any suggestions.

We are a lesbian couple together for 21 years (legally married for 2yrs in June) who love to travel. We truly enjoyed our HAL Olivia 7 day cruise to the Mexican Riviera in Oct 2005 and the HAL Olivia 10 day Mediterranean Cruise in Summer 2007 but are considering taking cruises on other lines that are more economical since we must have a balcony and/or a suite and the Olivia price premium is too much to pay for the accomodations. We want to go to the Caribbean on a cruise incuding San Juan Puerto Rico but we are not sure which cruise line to try, Royal Caribbean or Carnival which go to the ports we want to see? Any suggestions.

Both are great. Carnival is my favorite though.

cheers,

Paddy Anne

My wife and I just booked a Princess NYC to San Juan Repoitioning Cruise from 10/23 - 10/31 (9 days/ 8 nights!!). It's on the "Caribbean Princess" and we were able to book a Vista Suite (Aft) and are sooo very excited!

It's got an AMAZING itinerary! Bermuda, St. Lucia (the real draw for me as I am anxious to see the Pitons), Antigua, St. Thomas and then the cruise concludes in San Juan! :-)

For our honeymoon last November we took a Sweet cruise on NCL (roundtrip New Orleans). We LOVED the "all lesbian" experience however you end up having to pay such a premium that this time we decided to go with a "traditional" cruise and get a much better room! :-)

We also weren't too impressed with NCL and really wanted to try a different line. I've sailed Celebrity in the past and loved it but I've seen a lot of amazing things said on CC about Princess and decided to give it a try. It doesn't hurt that I was born and raised on "The Love Boat" TV programming! LOL

We hope some of you lovely ladies will choose to join us!

My wife and I just booked a Princess NYC to San Juan Repoitioning Cruise from 10/23 - 10/31 (9 days/ 8 nights!!). It's on the "Caribbean Princess" and we were able to book a Vista Suite (Aft) and are sooo very excited!

It's got an AMAZING itinerary! Bermuda, St. Lucia (the real draw for me as I am anxious to see the Pitons), Antigua, St. Thomas and then the cruise concludes in San Juan! :-)

For our honeymoon last November we took a Sweet cruise on NCL (roundtrip New Orleans). We LOVED the "all lesbian" experience however you end up having to pay such a premium that this time we decided to go with a "traditional" cruise and get a much better room! :-)

We also weren't too impressed with NCL and really wanted to try a different line. I've sailed Celebrity in the past and loved it but I've seen a lot of amazing things said on CC about Princess and decided to give it a try. It doesn't hurt that I was born and raised on "The Love Boat" TV programming! LOL

We hope some of you lovely ladies will choose to join us!

That is a great choice, my wife and I took the Caribbean Princess NYC round trip last summer. The ship is beautiful, the service and food excellent. Yes, I am a princess cheerleader. :rolleyes:

St. Lucia has been my favorite port ever, we climbed a volcano and a waterfall saw the Pitons. The island really touched us, seeing the people doing their laundry in the river it was such a stark contrast to our life. We still talk about the beauty of St. Lucia. In fact that was one of the deciding factors for our upcoming emerald princess cruise.

If you have any questions about what to expect on princess or about the Caribbean princess specifically please ask!

• 3 weeks later...

We're booking a 7 day on the Solstice on Dec. 12th out of Ft. Lauderdale. Has anyone sailed on her before? Your opinions?

Anyone else booked or considering this cruise?

Would love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Mithryl

We just booked our 4th annual Halloween cruise! This year we chose NCL over Princess and are sailing with a group of about 50 GLBT's and a few straight pals as well.

We had a great time on our 3 night NCL bahamas cruise so we thought we would try a 7 day as well. We love Princess but NCL was fun fun fun. It isn't fair to compare the difference between the two cruise lines two different types of cruises and very different expereinces - all great I might add.

We're booking a 7 day on the Solstice on Dec. 12th out of Ft. Lauderdale. Has anyone sailed on her before? Your opinions?

Anyone else booked or considering this cruise?

Would love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Mithryl

Hi there Mithryl,

Good to hear from you and thank you for starting this wonderful thread for lesbian couples...we just love it!! :p

Anita & I were on the Solstice for her inaugural in November 2008. The ship is beautiful and HUGE! We had an aft mini-suite. The only complaint that I had was that there was no aft elevator and it seemed like at least a mile walk to/from the midship elevators. :eek: If we left something in the cabin...it stayed there until later! LOL! No "running" back to the cabin to pick something up. We loved the ship though!

Have a great trip!

Angel :)

That is a great choice, my wife and I took the Caribbean Princess NYC round trip last summer. The ship is beautiful, the service and food excellent. Yes, I am a princess cheerleader. :rolleyes:

St. Lucia has been my favorite port ever, we climbed a volcano and a waterfall saw the Pitons. The island really touched us, seeing the people doing their laundry in the river it was such a stark contrast to our life. We still talk about the beauty of St. Lucia. In fact that was one of the deciding factors for our upcoming emerald princess cruise.

If you have any questions about what to expect on princess or about the Caribbean princess specifically please ask!

Hi Heather,

I know you are a Princess cheerleader! I see you all the time on the Princess threads and I couldn't figure out where else I had run across your posts...well HERE YOU ARE!! LOL! :D Glad you're here too!

Your posts, along with the other Princess veterans (you know who they are) have been very helpful for our upcoming sailing on the Emerald Princess! Anita & I were reading some of your posts over the weekend. We totally agree with you about 7 days not being enough anymore! We are totally looking to go for 10 days or more (even B2B) after the sailings that we already have planned for 2011. We are Carnival fans but we are really excited about the cruise on the Emerald in a few weeks. I think we can live with both cruiselines :p!

Happy sailing and see you on the other thread,

Angel :)

We too love Olivia (and agree that less than 10 days is too short!) but you really do pay a premium. We have countered this by mixing it up a bit and taking some less expensive cruises and Olivia cruises less frequently. For you Princess cheerleaders (I see you on the Princess board Onestar!) we are taking a Princess Alaska cruise tour in July. DW is a bit freaked out as we were on the Caribbean Princess when it listed last October :eek:. She is still recuperating from that one!

Annie

• 1 month later...

Hi there Mithryl!

Thanks so much for starting this thread! I just joined and this is my very first post! Woo Hoo! Your December cruise sounds great! My girlfriend and I will not be on that cruise but we are booked on the 8 day Carnival Freedom July 17th cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale headed to the Eastern Caribbean. San Juan, St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, and Nassau. We are flying in a day early and staying a night on the beach so that should be fun. I am glad we came across this thread! Now we can plan future cruises in concert with our new friends here!

Jenna

I know how you feel we are 2 30 olds with a 3 year old daughter and we would love to have "family" to cruise with! Look me up on facebook Christina Horrell We are booked on the Fantasy 9/18 this year and the Freedom next November!

Hi , we also take the other cruises. We usually travel with friends, a mixed group, our traveling companions are usually a straight couple who we travel very well with. Sometimes our group gets larger. We are booked on the following; royal carib transatlantic on oct. 29, 2011 from Barcelonia to fort lauderdale,Nov 6, 2010 on the Crown Princess, fort lauderdale to caribbean ret to fort lauderdsale, and in Jan2011 we are going to Australia, diamond princess.We live in

Fort Lauderdale. Marilyn and Suzanne

Hi all:

My wife and I are thrilled to be taking our first cruise on the Carnival Dream 8/21/10 Western Caribbean itinerary. We are from NYC and have a 16 year old daughter that we are leaving behind LOL. This is my 40th birthday present and we figured we deserve time to enjoy alone together. She will be fine with my sister and her cousins.

Anyhow, I was hoping there would be "family" on this cruise. I have been talking to a great group on the Roll Call for our trip but have not run into any other like minded travelers. They seem like a great bunch but would love to see if there is another couple sharing this cruise with us. I look forward to reading through the recent posts for future cruise ideas and tips. Thanks to whomever started this thread.

Tisha

Tisha - Happy 40th ! ! That cruise sounds like a wonderful way to usher in a new year.

(Treating yourself to travel for your birthday is one of my favorite things to do. For my 40th I insisted on going as far away from home as possible and still be in the US. That is why we spent 10 fantastic days in Key West.)

We are headed to the Western Caribbean in Dec....what ports are you visiting? Come back after your trip and let us know all about it. Have a great time and Happy Birthday.

My wife and I love to cruise as well. Yes it is a little spendy to cruise Olivia but it sure is nice to be able to be ourselves completely. So we too try to spoil ourselves once in a while. Our next cruise will be with Olivia. It will be our second Olivia Cruise. We are doing the Mexican Riviera Cruise March 26 - April 2 2011. This was given to my wife after losing 85 lbs. We had done the same for myself back in Nov. 2008.

So, is there anyone traveling with Olivia to the Riviera next year?

Julie & Julie

My wife and I love to cruise. I have been cruising since 2004. I go with a large contingent of friends from High school, work peeps etc. Everytime we have a different mix with anywhere from 8 to 40+ in our group. We are the crazy cajun cruisers and always have t-shirts made for each cruise. My wife and I have been together 2 1/2 yrs and I got her hooked on cruising within the first year. We will be sailing for Halloween this year,on Carnival Ecstacy, dressing as gangsters and flappers. I am looking at the transatlantic on the Carnival Magic next year, looks awesome. I have stuck with Carnival since its so affordable and have never felt like I couldn't be myself. I also want to do Hawaii soon and have a commitment ceremony on the beach prior to sailing. Wow that sounds kinda random..LOL that's what happens when you work at night..

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

We saw your post over on NJ Cruisers and replied to you there, but it was an older post and maybe you haven't checked back there.

We live across the river from you in the L'ville area. We, too, were in education - but are now happily retired.

We are heading for Canada on EOS in September. For the first time we know there will be like- minded cruisers with us - two male couples.

Any women going to Canada on the EOS on 9/16/2010?

J&I

Edited by NJLadies

I'm with you. Two of my favorite things -- lesbians and cruising. Yes, I love Olivia too-- I've been on two but I find the prices hard to take too.

I've cruised on Carnival, Celebrity,and NCL too. Once I took a Pied Piper cruise to Alaska with a former partner.

I will look for deals with Olivia but get my cruise fix when I can. :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are taking our first non Olivia cruise next month with NCL. Is anyone with us? Or have you traveled with NCL and have any suggestions? This is also our first Alaska cruise and my Dad and his wife are also on-board. We would love some suggestions and some friends to hang out with. Since we have only done Olivia cruises we have only traveled on HAL so I wasn't sure how this line would be with us being together etc.

Thanks and happy Sailing, Jes:rolleyes:

Hey there! Have you tried Sweet? It's a great cruise/vacation company started by Shannon Westgate (ex VP at Olivia) and is centered around socially conscious cruising More info at http://gaysailaway.com/lesbian/lesbian.html

I've worked with Olivia when I worked for Good Vibrations in San Francisco. They are a GREAT company and Tisha is awesome! Sweet may be a nice alternative to Olivia for you. If you ever listen to Doria on the Sirius/OutQ's Frank and Doria, she was on their inagural cruise and gave it big snaps! Also check out http://www.GaySailAway.com/blog It has lot's of info for the LGBT community on cruising!

Have a wonderful vacation!!!

• 3 weeks later...
We are taking our first non Olivia cruise next month with NCL. Is anyone with us? Or have you traveled with NCL and have any suggestions? This is also our first Alaska cruise and my Dad and his wife are also on-board. We would love some suggestions and some friends to hang out with. Since we have only done Olivia cruises we have only traveled on HAL so I wasn't sure how this line would be with us being together etc.

Thanks and happy Sailing, Jes:rolleyes:

My partner and I have taken two NCL cruises (not counting one in Alaska that was actually an Olivia charter) and are about to embark on our third, which tells you how much we've enjoyed them. We totally love Freestyle dining, a major reason we sail with NCL.

Never encountered any problems with crew, staff, or other pax in our being a couple. (In fact, I recall one morning several days into a Caribbean cruise a couple of years ago when I was on deck alone fairly early eating breakfast and reading, and some other folks were wondering where my partner was!:) On a cruise last winter, we were having dinner with some wonderful Canadian couples (heterosexual) who said it was horribly unfair that the U.S. does not recognize same-sex marriage.)

NCL ships usually have a "Friends of Dorothy" (their antiquated name for GLBT) gathering in a designated spot in the evenings. It will be listed in your Freestyle Daily (usually under "Friends of Bill," which is AA!).

If you haven't already joined the "regular" Roll Call for your cruise, and signed up for the Meet and Great, I highly recommend it. It's a good way to meet some of the other pax in advance, and then on board.

Have a great time!