Lobster?

aprilwaters

We ate in the Lido on the last formal night (lobster night) on one ship and lobster was not served there, just the other entrees on the regular dining room menu. Like kaklina we have never seen it in the Pinnacle and we eat there often on every cruise. I believe you have to go to the dining room to get any lobster.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

I remember when we were on Noordam this past December they offered lobster on one of the formal nights and on the other formal nigh it was lobster & filet mignon (surf & turf). This was in the Vista dining room.

Lobster night usually occurs on a sea day when the ocean is at its' roughest. Saltines and ginger ale are a lot less expensive than lobster.

Hahaha---

Don't worry - we managed to decimate the lobster population of the Maine shore on Noordam - and none of them went back to the kitchen!

;)

Hahaha---

Don't worry - we managed to decimate the lobster population of the Maine shore on Noordam - and none of them went back to the kitchen!

;)

Pretty much true on most cruises. They don't usually serve "Maine" Lobster (sometimes called American or Canadian lobster). Often they serve Cuban Lobster (or what is usually called Caribbean lobster in the US) or Asian Lobster which is a lot less expensive. When they serve lobster tails, it's pretty universal that it isn't "Maine" Lobster.

Pretty much true on most cruises. They don't usually serve "Maine" Lobster (sometimes called American or Canadian lobster). Often they serve Cuban Lobster (or what is usually called Caribbean lobster in the US) or Asian Lobster which is a lot less expensive. When they serve lobster tails, it's pretty universal that it isn't "Maine" Lobster.

Wow - Thanks for the education - I learned something new today!

:)

On our Mexican Riviera cruise on Oosterdam last April, they served lobster on the second formal night. The menu clearly said "Fresh New England Lobster Tails". I have no reason to doubt them. It sure tasted like every other lobster I've ever had, including several in which I got to pick out the victim from an aquarium in the lobby of the restaurant.

And, it was, indeed, fresh. I may be crazy, but, to me, freezing lobster radically changes its flavor. I find lobster that has been frozen to be inedible, and this was great. I was very surprised that it was not frozen, especially since we sailed out of San Diego and New ENgland lobster would have to have been flown in.

They did not have "Surf and Turf" on our menu, but they did have filet mignon. We took advantage of the ability to order more than one entree and ordered both the filet and the lobster. Our waiter was very helpful in combining the two onto one plate and disposing of some of the unneeded sides.

We ate in the dining room that night, so I can't comment on lobster's availability in any of the other dining venues on the ship.

We're going on the Zuiderdam in April and I can't wait for many reasons, not the least of which is the chance to have another "free" lobster dinner.

noblepa,

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you were a victim of "creative menu engineering". There are only 2 cruise ships that regularly serve fresh maine lobster; Norwegian Sun and Norwegian Star. They both feature live lobster tanks where you choose your own (and pay an additional $25 on top of a dining surcharge). No cruise ship has the storage capacity to handle fresh lobster for several thousand people. My contacts at HAL tell me that the lobster tails you had on Oosterdam were 5 oz. frozen slipper lobsters from South Africa. Wholesale cost of the slipper lobster tails is $19 per pound.

NCL actually pays about $25 per live maine lobster. So their extra charge is a pretty good deal.

I wonder what percentage of guests order lobster on 'lobster night'. We almost never order it seeing as we live in Boston and are used to bringing home large, live Maine hardshells.

Some folks don't care for lobster; some are allergic....etc

I really wonder if 3/4 of the pax; 1/2 ...... about how many wait for 'lobster night'.

We were told by the concierge on the Volendam that we could order pretty much anything that we wanted with 24 hour notice, but that there MIGHT be a slight service charge.

We ordered what we wanted and there was never a charge. Usually it was lobster, but also other things, it was really very nice. Similiar to the Queens Grill on QM2.

I almost forgot to mention that the first time we ordered I asked for "two", thinking that I would get two tails. Nope, they sent two full lobster dinners to our table!

Did you try the Oxtail Soup on the QE2...it's tasty...

Not to stray to far of the thread, I have never been on the QE2, but I will say that the soups on the Volendam were amazing, and I think they might have had an oxtail soup en croute.

I spent some time in the galley and they had an entire soup room. Every one of the soups were great. Also, the cold room was really amazing!

Guest LoveMyBoxer

You can order anything and as much as you want without extra charge. I think DH ate 3 or 4 of the lobsters at one sitting on our last cruise.

We kept telling our stewards to just bring a 33 Gal can and plastic lining to set at the end of the table and keep the lobster coming! :D My brother and I did order seconds, my Step dad did not but they came anyway; that lobster found its way quickly to my plate; so quickly in fact, the steward couldn't believe his eyes when he turned back and looked at rge empty lobster shell on his plate the the steward had just set down in front of him :D the look on his face....:eek: .....priceless ;)

We rarely order lobster on a ship but on our last cruises we did. It is a combination surf and turf and offered only on the last formal night -- we have done several 10 and 14 dy cruises and this was offered only once during the cruise.

As usual the steak was very tiny. The lobster tail -- 2 bites and you were all done. Also it was rubbery - sits too long after being cooked before it is served.

We all began to order many apps and entrees at my table after about the 3rd night (Noordam 1/17). There were 6 of us and we all pretty much shared. The lobster night was indeed the last formal night, and I have to say that the tails were pretty dry and small. There is always some kind of steak on the menu, so just order two lobsters and one steak for the two of you and share. Tons of lobster sounds great, but after you share three appetizers, get soup, salad, and roll after roll, who needs too much in the way of an entree?

BTW, the whole table began to eat at 5 in the Lido, "just to take the edge off." We had the late seating. I thought I was the only one until I kept running into table mates eating pizza, pasta, etc!!!

Archived