attire at dinner

we'll be on Splendour of the Seas on 11/24 07 for the 10 day meditteranean cruise. says there are 2 formal nights, 1 smart casual...what do u wear the other nights? this is my first RC cruise as we normally cruise on Princess. Princess is either formal night or smart casual. u cant wear jeans to dinner, correct?

I just returned from the Splendour (2-8-07). I was surprised at what some thought was Casual!! There were some (mostly men) in tank tops and shorts for dinner. Although I realize coming in from an excursion late etc, you may come as you boarded ship, but these where actually sea days. I'm not a prude but come on have some respect for your dinner table and those serving you!! To me, my opinion only, casual is at least nice slacks and some kind of button up shirt for men and a nice pant suit for women. No shorts and tank tops please. There were quite a few jeans on casual nights but with nice tops and shoes which minimized they were wearing jeans. I'm sure you'll find different opinions so keep reading and enjoy your cruise.

Whatever you would wear to a NICE restaurant (the kind with tablecloths, waiters in nice uniforms, crystal, etc...) at home, wear on the ship. You should look nice--don't you WANT to look nice???

Our 10 day cruise, almost all of the women dressed to impress EVERY night--the men, not so much! Hardly ever saw anyone who looked like they had just run to the grocery store, if you know what I mean.

Dinner takes a couple of hours--it's an event!!! Dress for it!! What else do you have to do!?

What about a nice looking tank top with shell accents with capris?

I agree with cb at sea. Although I'm not out to impress anyone and I do want to be comfortable (because I don't want to hurt... with anything to tight!) I always feel much better about myself when I dress for the occassion.

The better you feel about yourself the better the meal!!! You're being served.... tablecloths, crystal, wine etc. enjoy!!!!

we'll be on Splendour of the Seas on 11/24 07 for the 10 day meditteranean cruise. says there are 2 formal nights, 1 smart casual...what do u wear the other nights? this is my first RC cruise as we normally cruise on Princess. Princess is either formal night or smart casual. u cant wear jeans to dinner, correct?

I have not been on Princess. Nonetheless, it is my understanding that Princess has a stated no jeans at dinner policy. RCI does not. Some people like jeans and wear them to dinner. They do not get turned away. Some people do not like jeans at dinner and are very vocal about it. The following is from RCI's web site ...

Q: What are the dress codes onboard? s.gif

A: There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4 - night cruises include one formal night and the remainder nights are casual.

5 - night cruises include one formal and the remainder nights casual.

6 - night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder nights casual.

7 to 9 - night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights casual.

10 to 13-night cruises include two formal nights, two smart casual nights, and the remainder nights casual.

14+ - night cruises include three formal nights, four smart casual nights and the remainder nights casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Please note ice skating on our Voyager Family ships & Freedom of the Seas requires that all skaters wear long pants and socks for their own comfort and safety. Capris and long shorts are permitted.

I have not been on Princess. Nonetheless, it is my understanding that Princess has a stated no jeans at dinner policy.

And just like on Royal Caribbean, there is little enforcement.

Last summer on the Crown Princess we saw jeans and short-shorts in the dining room. (at dinner)

remember, there are some people (myself included) that are not comfortable getting all dressed up each and every night. IMO I think there should be nothing wrong with wearing shorts on a casual night and maybe even nice jeans on a smart/casual night.

Remember, you are on holiday! Why not be comfortable?

remember, there are some people (myself included) that are not comfortable getting all dressed up each and every night. IMO I think there should be nothing wrong with wearing shorts on a casual night and maybe even nice jeans on a smart/casual night.

Shorts are the one thing that they do prohibit at night at dinner. We saw people turned away by the Maitre'D. Loved it.

Wear what ever you feel comfortable in that would not make other dinning guests feel uncomfortable. Personally I like to dress for dinner (like what you wear to chuch). Reason, because cruising is an occation, that I am not always doing, it is something special and dressing for dinner makes it just that much more special for me.

Rev

brad, at home, if you took a lady out to dinner that had linen table cloths and napkins, formal setting and dressed wait staff that served 3 courses.... would you show up at night in shorts?

I'm thinking, a minimum of kaki's and a button down shirt?..... Certainly not shorts. The first night while you are waiting for luggage, this MAY be accepted... we always pack a change of clothes in carry on if luggage is late.

For informal I wear a sun-dress not above the knee, husband wears kakis and button down shirt, same for kids (son wears the kakis that zip off into shorts by day, dinning room pants by night).

for us, this is as informal as we go, and only on first night, on any line we may sail. Just a suggestion.

brad, at home, if you took a lady out to dinner that had linen table cloths and napkins, formal setting and dressed wait staff that served 3 courses.... would you show up at night in shorts?

I'm thinking, a minimum of kaki's and a button down shirt?..... Certainly not shorts. The first night while you are waiting for luggage, this MAY be accepted... we always pack a change of clothes in carry on if luggage is late.

For informal I wear a sun-dress not above the knee, husband wears kakis and button down shirt, same for kids (son wears the kakis that zip off into shorts by day, dinning room pants by night).

for us, this is as informal as we go, and only on first night, on any line we may sail. Just a suggestion.

Fair enough, maybe not shorts but you are on holiday and I think you should feel comfortable over anything else. If you are into the formal side of things thats great, by all means get dressed up as I agree, dinned is a major part of the evening.

Maybe it's because my partner and I are younger that we prefer to be a bit more relaxed - I guess there is always Windjammers or room service :-)

yes, there is the Windjammer.

I agree that the minimum would be long pants for men. And a nice shirt would be great.

No one says you can't wear shorts, and be very vacation casual......and that's why they have Johnny Rockets, the Windjammer, and room service. You could even take a plate of food from the Windjammer and go sit out by the pool!!

i guess i just don't understand how uncomfortable and nice clothes relate. my "nice" clothes fit me very well and are very "comfortable". just as comfortable as my work duds, or my casual clothes, or any other outfit i wear. if your nice clothes are really uncomfortable, get some that fit.

that being said, i understand that some folks "dress" every day for work and want a break while on vacation, makes sense, but our work clothes are dirty and grubby and the chance to dress for a few special dinners, (not mac and cheese at home) is really special to us.

happy sailing no matter how you dress or which venue you use for dinner!!

I am in the "younger" crowd I would think and Love to get dressed up, maybe it's because I wear uniforms every day to work. I love getting my "dress up" clothes out and trying to look my best, I think of it as a date week with my wife, and just as we go to the club for date night, we get dressed up to meet the appropriate dress code. I packed 2 suites, 3 pair of khaki's, 1 navy blazer and a couple of button down dress shirts to wear at dinner and felt right at home each night. There was the guy that sat near us that work jeans/khakis, tennis shoes and a polo shirt every night. While not for me to each his own. As said maybe it's just me, but I kind of like feeling like we're at a nice restaurant when dining, and if I didn't then I'd head for the windjammer or get room service.

I guess it's a matter of opinion. It's so easy to throw on a t-shirt and shorts and have dinner al fresco. I would like to get dressed up maybe on one of the smart/casual nights and go to dinner (in a shirt + tie) but I'm not the kind of person to get dressed up in a tux for the night just to go to dinner. Maybe at home on a very special occasion but not when I'm on holiday. Looks like it will be dinner on the deck on the formal nights.

Wear what ever you feel comfortable in that would not make other dinning guests feel uncomfortable. Personally I like to dress for dinner (like what you wear to chuch). Reason, because cruising is an occation, that I am not always doing, it is something special and dressing for dinner makes it just that much more special for me.

Rev

My church people come in jeans and tshirt lol I think I better dress nicer than that! Maybe what someone would wear to a night at the theater

This is not directed at the OP. It seems to me that when we are on a cruise that we have chosen a vacation that has "suggested attire at dinner". To me that says I should adhere to that. If you don't want to dress that way, go to the casual dining area or go on another type of vacation. I honestly think some just like the shock factor of showing up in shorts and to prove they don't have to abaide by the "suggestion".

This is not directed at the OP. It seems to me that when we are on a cruise that we have chosen a vacation that has "suggested attire at dinner". To me that says I should adhere to that. If you don't want to dress that way, go to the casual dining area or go on another type of vacation. I honestly think some just like the shock factor of showing up in shorts and to prove they don't have to abaide by the "suggestion".

That couldn't have been said better! Period!:D :D :D :D :D

Archived