Poll - Should Jumpers have to pay costs?

TrustNoOneKMC

Yet, the Coast Guard doesnt agree with most of you. 99.999999% of the time they never get to pull a body out of the water in cases like these. From all reports, they were proud to have saved his life. http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=147668&zoneid=500

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070317/NEWS01/703170328/1006/BREAKING

Coast Guard officials said Mankamyer, who wasn't wearing a flotation device, was lucky to survive the fall and remain alive in the water.

He faces no charges and will not get billed for rescue workers' efforts.

“For us, it only matters that we’re able to help. We don’t put a price on somebody’s life,” said Petty Officer Jennifer Johnson, a Coast Guard spokeswoman in Miami. “Peo*ple drink, do stupid things and make mistakes on the water. Once he made that mistake, he was a solid search and rescue case for us. Hopefully, he won’t make that mistake again.”

I think everyone is glad he is alive, the debate is whether he should have to pay for his rescue when it (the rescue) never should have happened. It wouldn't be PC for the coast guard to come out and say "We're glad to help, now how would you like to make the payment?" I'll bet cops' stories are not much different, in public they are proud to help, but back at the station they talk about the 'idiot' who made them risk their own lives. JMHO

Other people put themselves at risk to save your stupid @$$ from drowning -- some sort of recompense should be levied somehow (legal tangle, huh!!) ... just like the foolhardy climbers that start up Mt. Hood in the worst weather on record and then MILLION$ are spent and tremendous risks taken to bring them back alive if possible, or bring something for the greiving family to bury if not. How many times have you seen the greiving relatives weeping into the news camera saying 'he knew the risks and thought it was worth it, now he's dead' .... well, DUHHH!!!:mad:

I think that is what insurance is for.....on both sides....yikes how grim to even think up this point!

Thinking about someone having to pay the cost for search and rescue isn't being grim. Being grim is the fact that someone would jump from the ship in the middle of the ocean. That's Grim!

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

his personal info (soc sec no., passport number, name, address, dob) have been entered into every cruiseline computer system by now. Short of entering the witness protection program, I doubt that he will ever be allowed on another cruise ship. Now he may be allowed to purchase a cruise but when he goes to sign in, the agent will say,

"Oh I am so sorry Mr. Stupid, but you name has come up on our 'watch list' and you will not be able to cruise with us this afternoon. You will find your luggage outside the terminal next to the garbage. Have a good day":D

Not only should he be, but will probably be sent a bill from Disney, Carnival, the Coast Guard, the Ambulance service, the hospital, the doctors, the lab techs, the radiologist and his luggage will be shipped to him COD!!!:eek:

I also have to wonder, how can anyone who is mentally healthy "jump" from a cruise ship?

-Mike

My opinion.........

I would have to think that they are not in their right mind whether sober or drunk....

And no their family should not be held responsible if they are not found.

What.... the family are responsible for others mental health......no.......

Here in Arizona we have a "stupid motorist law" If you drive across aflooded road way and get stuck, you have to pay to be rescued. I don't see what the differance is. You do something stupid you should be held responsible for your actions.

Florida absolutely needs a "stupid motorist law" too! Where do I vote for that one???

I think stupid people should be held accountable for their stupid behavior. Better yet, can we get a "stupid scanner" and keep them from getting on board in the first place?

Absolutely! I think that all of the rescues we hear so much about, either jumping off of a ship, climbing a mountain when the forecast is for blizzard conditions, driving on highways when the forecast is for ice, trying to drive through a flooded road, all of these stupid things stupid people do, need to be charged to them. Stupid people do stupid things because no one holds them accountable for their actions. Who do you think pays for these rescues, ultimately? We end up paying through higher costs, higher taxes, higher insurance rates.

I'm waiting for the jumper to sue Carnival claiming he was over served alcohol. Its always someone else's fault. If news and entertainment shows pay him for his story it will be totally disgusting. If he receives a penny in anyway he should immediately be charged for the amount of rescue operations.

The Coast Guard gets paid by the government which gets its money from all of us so we can make the point that we're all paying for this guys stupidity!:mad:

The man was stupid, whether by alcohol, or just plain dumb. This story is going to get weirder before it gets better. The fact that he jumped from a ship doing 20 knots, into an ocean with critters willing to eat his big ass proves Darwin was wrong. We are not always evolving and improving. If natural selection was true, Jaws would have eaten him, and then looked for a bucket of Tums.

That said, I'm glad he's alive. I wish people didn't have to risk their lives looking for him. If one of the choppers had gone down in the ocean, and people had died rescuing the drunk jumper, that would be a horrible tragedy. The television coverage should stop, the interviews coming up should be free, as public tribute to our free rescue of him. Since TV is willing to pay, everything should be donated that he gets to charity, or to the Coast Guard. The Coasties do more for this country than you hear about. I am proud to know a few members of the Coast Guard. They are heroes every day, not just when the TV crews are nearby.

Absolutely! I think that all of the rescues we hear so much about, either jumping off of a ship, climbing a mountain when the forecast is for blizzard conditions, driving on highways when the forecast is for ice, trying to drive through a flooded road, all of these stupid things stupid people do, need to be charged to them. Stupid people do stupid things because no one holds them accountable for their actions. Who do you think pays for these rescues, ultimately? We end up paying through higher costs, higher taxes, higher insurance rates.

I am with you 100%!

Not sure I am on board with this one, a fine maybe, but no, he should not have to pay, The C.G. is a government funded entity that we all pay for, if your house burns down because you are stupid, does the fire department send you a bill after for the hourly rate for the people and equipement? If you get robbed, do you get a bill from the police department?

The Coast Guard is there for our protection, I am glad that they are there, but we should not have to pay for their services, or if we do, I would like my taxes lowered :p I am not opposed to making things fee based, but that is not what our current system of government is.

The other side of this, is that the jumper would turn around and successfully sue Carnival for selling him the drinks, and for not posting a sign by the railing saying that jumping was dangerous :rolleyes: laughable, but in our courts, he would probably succeed.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
Not sure I am on board with this one, a fine maybe, but no, he should not have to pay, The C.G. is a government funded entity that we all pay for, if your house burns down because you are stupid, does the fire department send you a bill after for the hourly rate for the people and equipement? If you get robbed, do you get a bill from the police department?

The Coast Guard is there for our protection, I am glad that they are there, but we should not have to pay for their services, or if we do, I would like my taxes lowered :p I am not opposed to making things fee based, but that is not what our current system of government is.

The other side of this, is that the jumper would turn around and successfully sue Carnival for selling him the drinks, and for not posting a sign by the railing saying that jumping was dangerous :rolleyes: laughable, but in our courts, he would probably succeed.

Good point. I would just hate for him to profit off of this.

what about the wack-a-doo that faked her kidnapping b/c she didn't want to get married? wasn't she req'd to pay the costs of her search and rescue?

Yes, I believe she was but there wasn't any "rescue" involved.

also after you posted your pic on the speedo wax thread I invited you back to the cabin for some candy but I think the thread headed out to kansas.:D :rolleyes:

My opinion.........

I would have to think that they are not in their right mind whether sober or drunk....

And no their family should not be held responsible if they are not found.

What.... the family are responsible for others mental health......no.......

That is what I said, I never implied that someone else should be held accountable for the actions. Might have mis read my post. :)

-Mike

There is much talk about the man who went overboard a few days ago on carnival glory being a supposed "jumper". If this really is the case (weather or not he was drunk), should he be required to pay the $72,000 it cost the coast guard to find him?

yes plus any fees that I might acrue wile I have to wait to find the person who decided to jump or fall in while playing to close to the edge..hello people rails are there for a reason.

I'm thinking about $100,000 for punitive damages due to stress.lol

Okay, considering I know of I think 2 cases where the person was rescued alive... what do you propose for the 99% of those who jump/fall and die... their families are supposed to pay this "fine", or are you only fining those that live? :confused:

No, Chris, the families should not be held accountable. If the person dies, he/she and the families have already paid the ultimate price. But the ones that are just thrill-seeking or drunk need to understand just what a horrific expense this is, to have their sorry butts rescued, and sometimes at the cost of others' lives. This guy wasn't trying to commit suicide, or he wouldn't have put such an effort into surviving. No one really knows his story yet. If he was being dumb, he should certainly pay. If the people who he was arguing with tossed him in, they should be in jail!

Mr. Dood, they certainly do get a bill-at least for the ambulance portion-the fire part, I'm not sure. But I think this varies from city to city, townships, states, etc. Any other firefighters out there knoiw the answer to that?

Archived