Sun Princess

obnurse

We're doing a 10 day aboard Sun Princess Jan. 28, '05. Going to Antigua, Barbados, St. Kitts, etc. Has anyone done this itinerary or sailed on this ship? I'd love some advice and I'd love to know what the ship is like. We've previously sailed the Grand and Golden but haven't done the Sun Class ship before. Thanks, everyone and Happy Cruising!!

The Sun is sister to the Dawn which I have sailed. I do not know what the rest of your itinerary is but I have been to Barbados which is really a neat island. Must see: Mount Gay Rum!

The ship is large but not so large that you can't maneuver well. I enjoyed grabbing a deck chair at both the aft and adult pools. Dining is great (did PC and they have a good system on the Sun class ships). The Vista show lounge was my favorite evening spot for games, comedy, and shows - very comfortable and you can meet people there too. Any specific questions? I will check back later.

If I wasn't going to be in school I might join you - that should tell you something ;)

We have been on the Sun 3 times, most recently to the East Carib in Feb - The ship is in excellent condition, staff are attentive and friendly, food was the best we have had in our 13 Princess cruises. The rear pool and hot tubs are usually the least crowded - we usually try to get a cabin on the Aloha deck rear which is very near this area. Any questions, let me know.

We're doing a 10 day aboard Sun Princess Jan. 28, '05. Going to Antigua, Barbados, St. Kitts, etc. Has anyone done this itinerary or sailed on this ship? I'd love some advice and I'd love to know what the ship is like. We've previously sailed the Grand and Golden but haven't done the Sun Class ship before. Thanks, everyone and Happy Cruising!!
We loved the Sun Princess and also her sister the Dawn Princess. The size is perfect and we find it has all the amenities we are interested in. The only negative comment about either of these ships that I would have would be that the openings for the balconys are cut from the hull so you don't have the totally open view from them like you do from the Grand Princess.

We've done the itinerary and enjoyed it. I believe you will find a great deal of information about these ports on the Port of Call Board.

I don't believe you have joined us yet on the roll call board. We are also doing that sailing. We sailed on the Sun Princess last December and had a great time. Unfortunately, I can't compare the Sun to another class of Princess ships since we have only sailed the Sun Class. (Sun, Sea, Dawn and Ocean) They are all alike except for different names of rooms, colors, etc. We enjoy the 10 day cruises and they use the Sun Class for these sailings. We've never been to St. Kitts and are looking forward to that.

• 1 month later...

I'm on the same cruise mid October, so will post a review when I return. We purchased a BF category, got a free upgrade to BA (Cabin A539) plus $100 pp onboard credit, a good deal I thought. I've been on two other Princess cruises to the eastern Carib, both stopped in Princess Cays, St. Marten and St Thomas, but have never been to Antigua, St Kitts or Barbados. My TA made some suggestions about Barbados, she used to live there and recommended a specific touring company. With regard to the other islands, I have not preselected a specific tour, but will report back what I hear in late October. Enjoy!

obnurse,

palolake beat me to the punch!We too are sailing with you on this cruise,come join us on our roll call so we can all get excited together!

My wife is a certified medical assistant so it looks like you won't be the only "med-head" on this cruise.We too have sailed the Star class ship and are looking forward to this smaller Sun sized-ship.

Welcome aboard and see you over on the roll call.

John

Forgot to tell you in case you don't know but the Sun is due to go into dry-dock shortly so she should be nice and spiffed-up for us come January!

My wife is an Elite member having sailed numerous times with Princess.We have sailed the Sea,Ocean,and the Star together.

Again,hope to see you on the other side!

We will be on the same itiniery on the Sun Princess but on the Feb. 17.2005 cruise. I have been on the Sun before and you are going to love that ship. It is just the right size (1950) passengers, just as everyone said above the ship is in excellent condition, had a great crew, food was pretty good but the best thing about it is the size. Love those sun-class ships.

Marilyn

We did that itinerary last year on B2B cruises (hi Palolake, who we met on cruise 1!). It is a terrific itinerary.

On Antigua, we did a day excursion through Adventure Antigua with Eli (do a google search)

On Barbados, we were there twice in two weeks. The first time we did the 5 star Catamaran sail, which was really great, the second time we hired a taxi for the day and did a photo op all around the island. The taxi driver had lived there all his life, showed us the house he was born in, where he bathed in the "pots" in the tidal pools, etc.

On St. Kitts...we were supposed to do Dominica, and it got changed to St. Kitts. Well, I still want to see Dominica, but St. Kitts was the most beautiful island we visited. Take a taxi to the southeast part of the island (shaped like a turkey leg), there are great beaches, pretty good snorkeling, a beach with monkeys who come out and beg food, and gorgeous views to Nevis.

We have very aft cabins booked on the sun princess on the aloha deck. Is that space on that very back of the ship where the hot tub and pool are?

I couldn't tell from the pix on travelocity.

Thanks for your help!!

Cruiznuz

Yes, up a couple of levels, although the pool is supposedly a kids pool, when we were on the ship, there were almost no kids, so we all used it. The is a great deck on Aloha aft too, very quiet, always chairs available.

You know, I've been wondering if that was you when I saw the back to back cruises under your name! I'm thrilled to be able to do Eli's tour again this year and this time with my daughter and her husband.

The only island we haven't been to is St. Kitts. We weren't sure what to do there. Thanks for the tip.

I wanted to ask a couple questions about St. Kitts. What beach were the monkeys on? I'm always concerned about taking taxis. Did you feel safe taking a taxi? Did you have them wait for you or come back for you? I always feel safer when I know we'll be able to get a taxi back to the ship. Thanks.

Gosh, I don't remember the name of the beach. It is the one at the very tip of the eastern part of the island, at the very end of the road. Your taxi driver will definitely know where to go. There is a gorgeous scenic overlook on the way to the beach, and your driver will pull over and let you get a photo. The beach has a grill type restaurant and bar, so it is very pleasant, although the water can be a bit rough there because of where it is on the island. Nevis is right off the coast. Have your driver take you there, and if it is too rough, stay for just a few hours and have him pick you up and take you to a beach on the southern part of the island, which is much calmer. Nice to hear from you, have a great cruise!

[B]obnurse .... [/b] When Dawn Princess (as you know, sister ship) was doing that run, we took it in January two years in a row. (Also have been on other Princess ships in the Southern Caribbean.) Here are our opinions for what they're worth on shore excursions offered by Princess in a few of these ports:

St.Kitts: One of our favorites! You will feel as if you are walking around on a postcard at the beach in Nevis!

Coche Island Cruise (click for thread w/review)

Barbados: Always lots to do there! That "Five Star Catamaran" was wonderful! If you enjoy Party Boats, "Jolly Roger" is quite FUN! :D

Tortola: Baths of Virgin Gorda! Most folks want to see this on their first trip! The water is like swimming about in an aquarium!

The Baths of Virgin Gorda - Map & Info (click for thread)

Won't go on and on. All of these are posted in the CC Ports of Call Section so you can get more informationa and ask questions there as well.

Hope this helps a little. Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Obnurse

We were on the Sun Princess this past May, up the Left Coast to Vancouver. Very nice ship, and we think a much handier size than the Grand class.

She went into drydock yesterday in San Francisco, so should be all spiffy for your trip.

I loved the Ocean, a sister ship. Her promenade deck was lovely. At first I was bummed that the very front of the ship could not be accessed -- but then when I was almost blown off the front of the Grand, I understood why. Also, the promenade deck never closes (as it does with the Grand at night). This was one of my favorite things about the ship.

J

Archived