hiring a driver for the day

tyson

We were able to be with Gerry last week and had a great time. He was waiting for us when we got there. We were able to see lots of things on the island. We were able to get a great meal over on the eat side looking the beach as well. He was never in a hurry. Thanks Gerry for a great day.

Just got back from a cruise a few days ago. We used Gerry. Had him booked for 3 hours. We went to El Mirador and the ruins. We had a great time with him. He even sang to us in the car and hugged us at the end. Don't know many taxi drivers like that! Later, when we were walking around downtown, he drove by, saw us, and honked. We would definitely hire him again.

I also booked Gerry last year on my Cozumel stop. I was with a first time cruiser and wanted her to see the whole island and not just the very touristy port side.

She couldn't understand why I booked a driver and was not sure about doing a non ship tour (fear of missing the boat).

Gerry was so nice! We got a tour of the island and during our stop at the ruins, Gerry was right there to make sure they my friend got some great deals (I did the ruins alone while she stayed in the shopping area). When they saw she was with Gerry, the prices went down even more!

Gerry stopped at a roadside store that had the best pricing. The same dresses purchased here were triple the cost at the port area.

Gerry also sang during the ride and at Playa Bonita.

We had a great time and she stated the next time in Cozumel, she is going to book Gerry again!

You can't go wrong!

We enjoyed a day in Cozumel with Gerry last week. My husband said it was one of the best, most relaxing days we have ever spent in a port. Our ship arrived an hour early, and we went to find Gerry at least 30 min. before our scheduled time. He was there in his yellow cap, waiting for us in the taxi area. Gerry took us on a tour through a residential area of the island, which we had never seen in a dozen visits. We enjoyed seeing how the people of the island live. Then we went to San Gervasio ruins, which were surprisingly interesting, thanks to our ruins tour guide Ivan. We highly recommend that you tour the ruins with Ivan, because he explains so much that is not apparent on an unguided tour through these ruins. Gerry waited for us while we spent about an hour in the ruins.

Next, we went to the "other side" of the island, which is breathtakingly beautiful! Unlike the part of the island where the ships dock, this side is natural and unspoiled, with not a ship in sight. There are only a few small restaurants and one hotel on that side. Gerry took us to a little open air restaurant overlooking the sea, for a wonderful lunch. He offered to stop at a beach where we could swim, but we decided to skip the swim that day. We continued our day with a drive around the south side of the island, past Punta Sur. Gerry took good care of us, and we highly recommend him as a "driver for the day" in Cozumel.

I rent a VW hard top Bug from ISIS every time I am in Cozumel. $30 includes insurance. Never a problem. They will return you to the port when you leave the car off at the end of the day. Great deal. Most of us "grown ups" owned a stick shift VW at some point in our lives and ours was a nice 2003 model. Ran great. New tires. We drove around the island with some stops. Mr. Sanchos for drinks/guacamole/chips. Our waiter was Roldanier. Great service. Then around the back side of the Island. Through the middle to San Gervasio Ruins. We had a great day exploring on our own. There is very little traffic as soon as you leave the city. Very easy driving!

We used Gerry in January of this year and were very pleased with him. His station wagon is a bit on the small size for 4 adults but with some effort it will work. We had a terrible, cool, windy, rainy day and Gerry made it as pleasant as he possibly could for us.

We used Gerry in January of this year and were very pleased with him. His station wagon is a bit on the small size for 4 adults but with some effort it will work. We had a terrible, cool, windy, rainy day and Gerry made it as pleasant as he possibly could for us.

When we used Gerry, Mike had mentioned that the station wagon was on the smaller side, and because my husband is quite tall, we opted for the van. A bit more money, but worth it to be more comfortable since we were going to be in the van a good part of the day.

Looking at the web site for Gerry's Co. it looks like $95 for 3 hrs and $25/ additional hr. Are these prices upto date?

Just wondering if 3 hrs. is adequate amount of time to spend at Punta Sur Park/Beach for some sun and snorkel and then Coconuts for drinks and lunch?

Isn't it 1/2hr.+ to Punta Sur one-way?

Just don't want to spend the cash, to get out there and then feel rushed to get back.

I can confirm the prices are current, not sure about your other questions.

Prices are current. We were just there last week. I think you will need more than 3 hours for what you want. We spent about 6 hours. We walked up the lighthouse and went to see the crocs at punta sur. We did the tequila factory at Cantaros suggestion and that was a lot of fun. We also ate at Coconuts, Ohhhhhh what a view. We stopped at the mercado and got our vanilla and headed back.

Eduardo was prompt and detailed in his instructions to us and getting us set up. We requested Gerry and he was booked. Our driver was Cantaro. He is now considered a friend. We shared alot about our families and he showed such care for us during our visit. I HIGHLY recommend these drivers!

Hiring a driver was one of the best decisions we made on our recent trip. He was knowledgeable about the island and gave us a wealth of information we would never have known if we had rented a car for the morning. I would highly recommend this if you want to see more than the area around the cruise terminal.

This is last minute but we decided to book a private driver and of course Gerry is taken. We've been assigned Alberto, any reviews for him personally? Am hoping he is as pleasant and knowledgeable of the island's history as Gerry. (yes, I tried the search engine and did not find anything current)

Thanks

Dana

This is last minute but we decided to book a private driver and of course Gerry is taken. We've been assigned Alberto, any reviews for him personally? Am hoping he is as pleasant and knowledgeable of the island's history as Gerry. (yes, I tried the search engine and did not find anything current)

Thanks

Dana

See post #810 on this thread for a review from October. HTH - seems like you are in good hands.We have enjoyed a couple of tours with Gerry and I am sure you will have a good time.

This is way-late notice, but I wonder if anyone has a favorite private driver in Cozumel whose email or phone you'd share with us? I was all set to rent a car and drive around the island (esp. to the other side -- the eastern coast, to see the notable bars/restaurants and different surf/beach), until I read about some scam where locals will run into your car on purpose and then if you don't pay the authorities the appropriate "settlement" they put you in jail. Someone in the know advised that we walk the line of cabs in Cozumel, find a cabby who speaks some English and who strikes us as someone we might want to spend the day with, negotiate a price with him (maybe $50?), and wait for him to work his way to the front of the cab line (per union rules) and have him drive us around, then buy his lunch, whatevs. Does this sound like a good plan? Or would you recommend someone we might line up in advance? Hurry -- we sail on Monday. Thanks tons.

That is ship time. When you dock at 8 Am it will be 7 am their. I have a tour coming up and he replied with the same comment to me. I am starting at 9 am which will be 8 am their time.

Can I have a confirmation - ship time doesn't change to match local time ? That has to throw a curve at some ?

What does seem to be a good start time - all other things equal ....

Do most drivers go clockwise or counterclockwise on the trip of the island (this is written by the guy who purposely went opposite the tour buses on the 'ring of Kerry' in Ireland - but that is another thread.

Thanks

Greg

ps - thread getting better big ... wondering just how many drivers have changed their name to Gerry ... from page 30-something we got the URL for .... http://www.toursplaza.com/categorias/info/hiring_a_driver ( yep - they have a Gerry ) but our driver is Armando - will post a note after the cruise.

Edited by GregGH
added ps

My party of six booked Cantaro (from Eduardo) on 12/28. He picked us up in a minivan, we did the complete loop of the island. Cantaro was a delight to work with, his english was excellant, I did my research and couldnt find much on Cantaro so I hope this helps.

We were fortunate to get Gerry as our driver on Christmas Eve. Gerry took us on a tour of the city. He is very knowledgeable about the history and landmarks. He took us through many areas that I feel you would not see on a "regular" city tour. He took us to some shops where we got some souvenirs and I got some vanilla for my baking friends. Gerry has a Sam's Club card and we went to Sam's Club too! If anyone had ever told me that I would enjoy a trip to Sam's Club in Cozumel, I would have bet that I would not...but I did! Just checking out the pricing on items was an experience. Dang...I should move here! We went to the ruins which were also enjoyable. The iguanas and, surprisingly, the racoons where abundant. I thought racoons were nocturnal. Not here! There was a pair that crossed the paths fairly close to us tourists. It was surprising. We also saw a wild pig or boar after leaving... I can't go into all the wonderful things we saw and did with Gerry. I would recommend Gerry highly. At our last stop, we went in to have lunch and the girls a swim in the ocean and pool. When we came out...Gerry was there...and his Christmas dinner was in the back! How that all came to be, I do not know, but Gerry knows so many people in the area that I think his family dinner was delivered to him while he waited for us to finish. And yes...Gerry sang to us too... We felt that we were in good hands. He even stopped traffic for us to cross streets when necessary. We enjoyed our time with Gerry.

Gerry will be driving my husband and me around Cozumel in two weeks. Eduardo has been very prompt responding to my emails, and has assured me that Gerry will know where to take us based on my sketchy list of preferences. Can't wait!

Regarding lunch at Playa Bonita, what kind of prices should we expect?

I'm so excitied to say we just "Hired A Driver For A Day"! We've been to Cozumel no less than 20 times and love the island and the people but we normally spend the day at a beach club somewhere. We have yet to see the other parts of the island other than San Miguel, the port areas or the beach clubs to the east and we're waaayyyy too cautious to rent a vehicle based on the horror stories we've heard and seen in our travels there.

I've personally known Eduardo for years and can call him my friend so booking Gerry was my first choice when we found we were heading back to Coz yet again.

We will be a party of 5 adults and four of us will be trying to keep a "20'something" entertained who is not a big drinker. What would some of you suggest for sites to see, places to eat, get a drink (for US not him..LOL) etc? I haven't had a chance to read through the thread yet so sorry if it's a redundant question! :)