I've defected from NCL....

NY to Caribbean is getting old, and once you've been to Bermuda the Caribbean really seems second rate. I wish Carnival would extend their Canada sailings...maybe go to Quebec. Canada really is a beautiful country, and, in my opinion, completley underappreciated as a tourist destination in this country.

I've defected from NCL because people take freestyling to literaly....really does it kill people to at least look decent. I'm gald Princess enforces their dress codes. It shows a level of respect to their passengers and crew. On my Spirit cruise last summer my friend's camera was stolen by a passenger, and their were apparently several incidents of passengers physically fighting with one another....if thats not class, I don't know what it was!

That one does sound different and interesting. I'll have to check into that. I also have seen that one has a movie theater and a self-serve laundry which seems to be unusual for a NCL ship to have both.

You do realize the Crown Princess is moving to San Juan and the Caribbean Princess will be moving to New York next year? Both of course go to the Caribbean but I guess Princess thinks more folks from New York want to go to the Caribbean than down south or perhaps it is due to less risk of hurricanes so no Princess ships for a good number of months out of Fort Lauderdale next year which really has some loyal Caribbean Princess cruisers upset and looking at other lines.

I would be one of those :( Its stinks but that is what they have decided to do...actually I think they are pulling the crown out of the caribbean and sending her to Europe also.. So Princess will have one ship in the caribbean from April til Nov of 2008 and it will be out of NYC.....IMO if you look at the intineraries out of NY they stink...Princess stops going to Princess Cay and they are in the ports a shorter amount of time.

We just got off the CB last week and a lot of people were saying they were going to find another cruiseline (a lot being maybe 25 people that I spoke with)

I know a good amount of people here in fl that love to cruise with Princess during the summer months that are going to have to find another line and RCI fits the bill for a lot of us because of the amount of ships that they have including 3 and 5 day sailings.

I just came back from a Princess cruise and their anytime dining is similar to freestyle...but you do have to dress up in the dining room. I was seated with a couple of guys who were sent back to their cabins to put suit jackets on before being allowed in the dining room. It could have been that ship, that formal night, that week, but I was there to see it.

Happy cruising!

Coka

That is interesting, we just got off our six cruise with Princess and I don't wear a jacket - I get way too hot to wear one....and if I do I take it off when I sit down. I noticed a lot of people around us doing the same and no one said a word to us or anyone else for that matter.

I am not doubting you but that usually doesn't happen.

I would be one of those :( Its stinks but that is what they have decided to do...actually I think they are pulling the crown out of the caribbean and sending her to Europe also.. So Princess will have one ship in the caribbean from April til Nov of 2008 and it will be out of NYC.....IMO if you look at the intineraries out of NY they stink...Princess stops going to Princess Cay and they are in the ports a shorter amount of time.

We just got off the CB last week and a lot of people were saying they were going to find another cruiseline (a lot being maybe 25 people that I spoke with)

I know a good amount of people here in fl that love to cruise with Princess during the summer months that are going to have to find another line and RCI fits the bill for a lot of us because of the amount of ships that they have including 3 and 5 day sailings.

No, I didn't know about the short stays....that stinks nor did I know the Crown going to Europe.

I think you were on our April sailing of last year.

Did you see Bert this past time?

We have never tried RCI but I imagine Princess will lose alot of customers just by what I have been seeing and hearing and you confirming on the latest cruise.

No, I didn't know about the short stays....that stinks nor did I know the Crown going to Europe.

I think you were on our April sailing of last year.

Did you see Bert this past time?

We have never tried RCI but I imagine Princess will lose alot of customers just by what I have been seeing and hearing and you confirming on the latest cruise.

The thing that I don't understand is its not because of hurricanes - if anything the ship will be at sea for 9 days and will be MORE exposed to hurricanes.

As jmo the interaries are horrible - one has San Juan from 8 am til 6 pm, Grand Turk from 7 to 2 pm, St Thomas from 7 til 3pm and Bremuda from 9 til 5.......then the other one has San Juan 1 to 8, St Maarten 8 til 6, St Thomas 7 to 4 and Grand Turk 1 til 6...

Also what is interesting is the pricing is very close to the same per person per day and for a 9 day as it is a 7 day.

One more thing is that the CB will not be leaving on a Sat or Sun every week, I would THINK that would make it more difficult for people to leave work for nine day and take up two different weeks.

What would have been nice is if Princess would have changed up their intineraries out of FLL to eight days and start of Sat and come back on Sunday or even do it like NCL (which we love) leave friday and come back on the following sunday 9 days - then you only have to take off an extra day and have a 5 day sailing the next week.

The thing that I don't understand is its not because of hurricanes - if anything the ship will be at sea for 9 days and will be MORE exposed to hurricanes.

As jmo the interaries are horrible - one has San Juan from 8 am til 6 pm, Grand Turk from 7 to 2 pm, St Thomas from 7 til 3pm and Bremuda from 9 til 5.......then the other one has San Juan 1 to 8, St Maarten 8 til 6, St Thomas 7 to 4 and Grand Turk 1 til 6...

Also what is interesting is the pricing is very close to the same per person per day and for a 9 day as it is a 7 day.

One more thing is that the CB will not be leaving on a Sat or Sun every week, I would THINK that would make it more difficult for people to leave work for nine day and take up two different weeks.

What would have been nice is if Princess would have changed up their intineraries out of FLL to eight days and start of Sat and come back on Sunday or even do it like NCL (which we love) leave friday and come back on the following sunday 9 days - then you only have to take off an extra day and have a 5 day sailing the next week.

And those itineraries are on the CB? Wow...I do not like those times at all, especially after I read here that Bermuda is really nice.

So, I did just notice you have been on the NCL Jewel and you say you love NCL? Wow that is great news coming from someone who has sailed Princess so much. You know how some folks are on the Princess board about NCL yet this itinerary of the Pearl is perfect with the 9 days and the work schedule like you are saying. The NCL line really seems to offer some unique things that are not offered on the others and not having to dress up will be fantastic to me with alot less weight with the luggage.

So I really don't understand now why they are moving the CB to NY. I could only think of the hurricanes hitting Florida and folks trying to get in and out of there since they can go around a hurricane at sea.

Well I am hoping that NCL will be our first choice for cruising. It sure sounds good.

Not if it's to Bermuda! :)

We did a Port Canaveral and Bahamas cruise one summer. JUST TOO HOT!! And the water in the pools were to warm as well.

Used to enjoy Robert Moses till it washed away!

Bermuda is the best cruise destination in the summer out of New York because it is not in the Caribbean.

Sorry about Robert Moses washing away. We still enjoy Sunken Meadow but only at high tide during the week.

And those itineraries are on the CB? Wow...I do not like those times at all, especially after I read here that Bermuda is really nice.

So, I did just notice you have been on the NCL Jewel and you say you love NCL? Wow that is great news coming from someone who has sailed Princess so much. You know how some folks are on the Princess board about NCL yet this itinerary of the Pearl is perfect with the 9 days and the work schedule like you are saying. The NCL line really seems to offer some unique things that are not offered on the others and not having to dress up will be fantastic to me with alot less weight with the luggage.

So I really don't understand now why they are moving the CB to NY. I could only think of the hurricanes hitting Florida and folks trying to get in and out of there since they can go around a hurricane at sea.

Well I am hoping that NCL will be our first choice for cruising. It sure sounds good.

What I was saying that I love the way NCL does their nine day intineraries.

Would we sail NCL again? Yes....I really think we just had a cruise that wasn't up to NCL standards and I don't know if it was totally their fault.

We were the first cruise back from Europe and from I heard the Jewel had lost 150 people to the Pearl so there was a lot of training going on.

NCL has great beds (something the Princess has yet to figure out) I loved our Mini Suite Balcony - The intinerary was great, we got to see two islands out of Miami that we would have never got to see with Princess. We LOVED their asian dining, I had seared tuna that to this day is some of the best I have ever had. The buffet and the Dining room were disappointing to us....we also enjoy a bigger ship...I hate being crowded around people at the pools....But, like I said we would sail NCL again and we are looking at the 9 day Pearl and Jewel in Jan of 08...too bad I missed some really good pricing from last week.

Don't know why, but out of 35 cruises I have never been on a NCL ship.

Didn't plan it that way, guess it never looked right to me. My husband would love the casual no dressing up part of it.

I don't really care for the hull art, I think it's tacky but wouldn't keep me from cruising with them. Would be nice if I could win a cruise to try it out. :D

I don't know if you have seen the hull art in person but I happen to like it. I too, thought it was tacky in pictures as well as thinking the colors on the newer ships were way too gaudy, but after seeing them in person I really changed my mind. DH, who doesn't get excited about too much and thinks cruising is cruising just fell in love with the Jewel art and color scemes. NMNita

The Caribbean might be getting old to some people but when Uncle Fidel kicks the bucket that should open up a whole new world to cruisers. I'm basically an NCL cruiser but I have sailed on the Crown Princess out of New York and liked it a lot. I would do it again. Of course, I really haven't been on a "bad" cruise. It's just a matter of how good they are.

The Caribbean might be getting old to some people but when Uncle Fidel kicks the bucket that should open up a whole new world to cruisers. I'm basically an NCL cruiser but I have sailed on the Crown Princess out of New York and liked it a lot. I would do it again. Of course, I really haven't been on a "bad" cruise. It's just a matter of how good they are.

I read somewhere that Cuba was dropping some money into their ports and building bigger piers in order to accommodate more cruise ships - from reading the article it seems that Some cruise line go to cuba now...which ones I can no clue.

I saw the Golden Princess as we shuttled from the airport to our hotel. I have always heard good things about Princess and surprisingly have never sailed on that line. I may give it a try myself.

The Dawn, however is a lovely ship. Sailed her twice and would do so again. It's the itinerary I am really attracted to though.

I saw the Golden Princess as we shuttled from the airport to our hotel. I have always heard good things about Princess and surprisingly have never sailed on that line. I may give it a try myself.

The Dawn, however is a lovely ship. Sailed her twice and would do so again. It's the itinerary I am really attracted to though.

We have never tried the Golden Princess but I do hope they change the mattresses before anyone tries as they are all awful.

On the Dawn, does she have a movie theater? I saw on a well known travel site that she does along with self-serve laundry.

What I was saying that I love the way NCL does their nine day intineraries.

Would we sail NCL again? Yes....I really think we just had a cruise that wasn't up to NCL standards and I don't know if it was totally their fault.

We were the first cruise back from Europe and from I heard the Jewel had lost 150 people to the Pearl so there was a lot of training going on.

NCL has great beds (something the Princess has yet to figure out) I loved our Mini Suite Balcony - The intinerary was great, we got to see two islands out of Miami that we would have never got to see with Princess. We LOVED their asian dining, I had seared tuna that to this day is some of the best I have ever had. The buffet and the Dining room were disappointing to us....we also enjoy a bigger ship...I hate being crowded around people at the pools....But, like I said we would sail NCL again and we are looking at the 9 day Pearl and Jewel in Jan of 08...too bad I missed some really good pricing from last week.

Got it.....yes I do remember people talking about that cruise on the Jewel and I do hope it was just what you said that the new crew was getting trained.

I also looked at those Princess itineraries and was shocked at the small amount of time at the Ports and no Princess Cayes since they had just spent money in building those bungalows.

I do see a NCL Dawn to Bermuda cruise that we would like to try and a Canada/New England on the Jewell that looks good.

NCL stopped their special on the onboard credit? They had a big one days after we booked for our November trip but we were not allowed to cancel and rebook so our agent dropped the price for the same amount.

NCL stopped their special on the onboard credit? They had a big one days after we booked for our November trip but we were not allowed to cancel and rebook so our agent dropped the price for the same amount.

actually they have a new special NCL Spring for it....they are offering shipboard credit for every cat -

We are looking at the 7 day Dawn out of Miami and I was wondering how the bedding was on the ship? When was her last wet/dry dock? I also remember that she was having some problems with only one engine running - have her problems been fixed?

actually they have a new special NCL Spring for it....they are offering shipboard credit for every cat -

We are looking at the 7 day Dawn out of Miami and I was wondering how the bedding was on the ship? When was her last wet/dry dock? I also remember that she was having some problems with only one engine running - have her problems been fixed?

We came off the Crown princess in march, and IMO the bedding on the Dawn is a lot better. Once I asked for the egg crate for crown princess it wasn't too bad either. The only problem was if you were taking a nap during the day the egg crate wasn't there, since they only put in on at turn down service.

I love princess for their itineraries and NCL for their onboard activities. But NCL is really steering people away with their high prices. I guess that is one of the drawbacks of going after the youngest fleet in the cruising industry. Having to payback for the build of the ship. I want to go on NCL but will be looking elsewhere until they drop their prices.

We came off the Crown princess in march, and IMO the bedding on the Dawn is a lot better. Once I asked for the egg crate for crown princess it wasn't too bad either. The only problem was if you were taking a nap during the day the egg crate wasn't there, since they only put in on at turn down service.

I love princess for their itineraries and NCL for their onboard activities. But NCL is really steering people away with their high prices. I guess that is one of the drawbacks of going after the youngest fleet in the cruising industry. Having to payback for the build of the ship. I want to go on NCL but will be looking elsewhere until they drop their prices.

Could you give us examples on this onboard activities other than the pool and rockwall?

Could you give us examples on this onboard activities other than the pool and rockwall?

NCL doesn't have the rockwall, what I mean by activites is the cruise director and his staff really get into the activities. They are almost like easter bunnies, they are everywhere and the cruise director is at as much functions as has body is able to get to. The shows and the lounges are really good, and almost at every port when we were on, they ad a sailaway BBQ. DOn't get us wrong we loved princess, but NCL just felt that much laid back. The workers don't seem as stressed. As an example instead of 1 person cleaning your room there is 2. And NCL rooms are bigger and their bathroom are also larger, and the showers can accommodate 2 people. These are just some of the difference I see. On the other hand if it matters to you NCL raised they soda card substantially more then princess.

You mean to tell me they took the egg crate off? That is crap...I would have asked my room steward to keep it on. We have been on Princess 6 times - we asked for an egg crate once and the room steward left it on the entire time - the other times we have bought our own off ebay for $30 bucks (its a tempur pedic knock off 2 inch topper) then we just leave it on the ship.....

We brought our own 2 inch topper when we were on the Jewel in Nov and honestly we didn't need it....The bed felt awesome with it I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud...I just couldn't believe how much better the beds were on NCL.....

On our last Princess cruise two weeks ago I asked the room steward for a new bed - I had a metal spring poking through and the first night I got about two hours of sleep...we asked for a new bed when we went to breakfast and two hours later we had a new bed.

I haven't really been following NCL's pricing but I couldn't believe how much it had gone through the roof - A nine day Pearl southern Caribbean mini suite is more expensive than a 10 Emerald Princess Southern Caribbean mini suite by $200 dollars....NCL was always a really good deal, now it seems the deals are hard to find....when did this all come about?

NCL doesn't have the rockwall, what I mean by activites is the cruise director and his staff really get into the activities. They are almost like easter bunnies, they are everywhere and the cruise director is at as much functions as has body is able to get to. The shows and the lounges are really good, and almost at every port when we were on, they ad a sailaway BBQ. DOn't get us wrong we loved princess, but NCL just felt that much laid back. The workers don't seem as stressed. As an example instead of 1 person cleaning your room there is 2. And NCL rooms are bigger and their bathroom are also larger, and the showers can accommodate 2 people. These are just some of the difference I see. On the other hand if it matters to you NCL raised they soda card substantially more then princess.

Actually the Pearl does have the rock wall, I believe its the first NCL ship to offer it.

Interesting about the BBQ's. I have never been on a cruise with BBQ's onboard.

I know Princess was better at keeping you entertained during the day with different functions and gameshows but Carnival wasn't so I am hoping NCL has things to do other than the pool.

NCL rooms are actually bigger than Princess? I was thinking it looked smaller - I will look into that.

You mean to tell me they took the egg crate off? That is crap...I would have asked my room steward to keep it on. We have been on Princess 6 times - we asked for an egg crate once and the room steward left it on the entire time - the other times we have bought our own off ebay for $30 bucks (its a tempur pedic knock off 2 inch topper) then we just leave it on the ship.....

We brought our own 2 inch topper when we were on the Jewel in Nov and honestly we didn't need it....The bed felt awesome with it I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud...I just couldn't believe how much better the beds were on NCL.....

On our last Princess cruise two weeks ago I asked the room steward for a new bed - I had a metal spring poking through and the first night I got about two hours of sleep...we asked for a new bed when we went to breakfast and two hours later we had a new bed.

I haven't really been following NCL's pricing but I couldn't believe how much it had gone through the roof - A nine day Pearl southern Caribbean mini suite is more expensive than a 10 Emerald Princess Southern Caribbean mini suite by $200 dollars....NCL was always a really good deal, now it seems the deals are hard to find....when did this all come about?

So glad to hear the mattresses on Jewel are good. I have read the same about the Pearl and looked up about the Dawn and they are suppose to be good also.

We booked NCL back in January and the prices were cheaper than the Emerald Princess Southern Caribbean itinerary, however we are going with an oceanview so we can cruise more often, so our price works out with port charges and taxes to be 92 a day each. We try to always stay around the 100 a day per person figure.

I know there are some good deals out there for balconies BA's on the Pearl for the Oct/Nov/Dec timeframe however we haven't looked at minisuites.

Also I did read the Dawn will be in drydock this year so your January timeframe should be fine.

Actually the Pearl does have the rock wall, I believe its the first NCL ship to offer it.

Interesting about the BBQ's. I have never been on a cruise with BBQ's onboard.

I know Princess was better at keeping you entertained during the day with different functions and gameshows but Carnival wasn't so I am hoping NCL has things to do other than the pool.

NCL rooms are actually bigger than Princess? I was thinking it looked smaller - I will look into that.

I just checked on Travelocity about the stateroom sizes. I don't kn ow how right they are but this is what it said.

Caribbean Princess NCL Jewel

Balcony 233 including balcony 200-205 including balcony

Oceanview 158-182 sq ft 150-161 sq. ft

Inside 163 sq ft 138-143 sq ft

Bill

I just checked on Travelocity about the stateroom sizes. I don't kn ow how right they are but this is what it said.

Caribbean Princess NCL Jewel

Balcony 233 including balcony 200-205 including balcony

Oceanview 158-182 sq ft 150-161 sq. ft

Inside 163 sq ft 138-143 sq ft

Bill

I know their is a HUGE difference in the mini suites including the balcony - Princess mini Suites are much larger than the Jewel mini.

We had a regular balcony on our last CB cruise and the Balcony imo was about the size of the Mini suite balcony on the Jewel - The cabin was a little smaller than a mini suite on the jewel.

For regular cabins, such as inside, oceanview and balcony the rooms are bigger on NCL, The way the set up the rooms make it feel more spacious. I think it has to do with the fact that NCL doesn't give as much closet space as NCL. But NCL gives more drawer space. Any cruiseline you take you will enjoy it.

For regular cabins, such as inside, oceanview and balcony the rooms are bigger on NCL, The way the set up the rooms make it feel more spacious. I think it has to do with the fact that NCL doesn't give as much closet space as NCL. But NCL gives more drawer space. Any cruiseline you take you will enjoy it.

OK so you're saying NCL while being smaller in square footage is actaully bigger in terms of actual usuable space.:)

Bill

Archived