I've defected from NCL....

:(

We sailed the Spirit last February and really enjoyed it.

Post cruise, we started thinking about a summer 2008 sailing on NCL out of New York, specifically wanting a longer (9 or more days) southern or eastern Caribbean itinerary.

Initially, it looked like that might become available on the Gem, since it's doing several of those types of sailings in the winter and spring.

But last month NCL suddenly decided to move it (and all the other nice, new bigger ships) to Europe, deploying the same old Spirit and Dawn in NYC for the highly profitable family summer cruise season, with very generic shorter itineraries. The only longer sailing they're offering then is an 8 day Bahamas/Florida on the Spirit, one virtually identical to the one we've already done on that ship.

So Princess, here we come (Caribbean Princess 9 day Esstern Caribbean in July). I would have preferred NCL, but since you're IMHO giving NYC somewhat stepchild treatment, this bird in hand has flown.

I wonder whether the Europe trips are paid in Euros, pounds, dollars or just what. My guess is that many Europeans can better afford cruises right now due to the exchange rate. I suppose NCL has very sound financial [unsentimental] reasons for pulling their newer ships out of the big apple.

The Europe market is hot, no doubt about it. I am getting sick of the Caribbean myself.

I hear ya- I'm leaving on the Spirit for the third time this August. It is definitely because (although I LOVE the Spirit) of the NYC home port. We just sailed Noordam in January- again out of NYC- and it is just so nice to not have to fly somewhere to take a cruise (even though it is a 6 hour drive for me!).

We're doing the same thing...only in reverse I guess.

We have cruised with Carnival and Princess in the past and have nothing but good things to say about both...but that does not mean we're "married" to either one.

Carnival is hung up on 7 day cruises almost exclusively and doesn't do anything on the west coast of South America.

We found Princess itineraries and length of cruises very attractive but, they are pricey for what the offer.

So we're looking hard at NCL. We have some concerns...reviews are not what they could be...but length of cruises and itineraries...and for sure..prices are very attractive!

All the cruise lines put a lot of effort into trying to get us to stick with one line but I am not convinced that this is the best strategy over the long haul.

Just my thoughts.

We cruised the NCL Jewel last year and the new Princess Crown last month. We loved them both and feel there are things that both cruise lines do better than the other. Either way, you'll have a great time. The change in itineraries makes it interesting. We did Southern Caribbean this time and loved the ports! It was fabulous, we like the ports much better than either Eastern or Western Caribbean but it was more expensive and add the cost of air fare...

I understand your switching to Princess. There are very few lines that do the Caribbean in the summer anymore. It seems Alaska and Europe are itineraries that always sell out and so many have done the Caribbean. You should enjoy your cruise as most do like Princess.

TCCF, I am not sure what reviews you are talking about. With the exception of the NCLA ships doing hawaii and some of the older ships, NCL gets good reviews. Oh sure, you will get negatives on any line from a few, but the DAwn, Star, Sun, Jewel and Pearl all get raving reviews from both cruisers and the professionals. NMnita

Mikeythemars,

I think you'll have a great time on Princess. Crown Princess looks like a beautiful ship. I sailed Golden Princess into NY and had a great time. Princess does a very nice job of combining traditional and modern cruising elements. Their Personal Choice Dining is a brilliant evolution on Freestyling because they still offer traditional choices for traditionalists, which frees up seats in the 'freestyle' dining rooms. They also have some suberb alternative restaurants. Food and service, which are subjective matters and just my opinion, are also arguably a step above NCL. The downside, at least for me, is that their ships can be a litte dull looking, but still very elegant and with lively night spots.

Also, their shows are really good-somewhere between NCL and Carnival.

Unfortunately we're probably going to do the same thing -- but because of the outrageous prices that NCL has out right now. We're not happy that the Gem will be doing very few (only 4 or 5 for 08 as well as 09) 10/11 night cruises from NYC, and also not happy that the prices on balconies START at $2500+ PP. We are now looking at the Noordam, which is also sailing out of NYC. Price for a VE balcony on several on-line TA sites starts at $1049 PP; one is offering $300 per cabin OBC plus a shore excursion (though their price is $1399). DH is more open to trying another line than I am (I'm afraid I'm going with a bad attitude as I LOVE NCL), but it looks like we're going to give it a shot and see how we like it...

I was hoping Princess would be doing winter sailings from NYC, because of their anytime dining, but that doesn't seem to be happening...

Isn't that strange? The Princess cruisers are upset with Princess leaving them next summer and no Princess ships are leaving out of Florida. Looks like the cruise ships are really moving things around and disturbing some folks.

We are looking forward to our first cruise on NCL.

Isn't that strange? The Princess cruisers are upset with Princess leaving them next summer and no Princess ships are leaving out of Florida. Looks like the cruise ships are really moving things around and disturbing some folks.

We are looking forward to our first cruise on NCL.

All the cruise lines are buying ships with Euros, and with the Euro exchange rate with the Dollar rising, the cruise lines are reacting.

It's better for their bottomline to be getting Euros rather than Dollars, and that means sailing more ships in European seas. It also doesn't hurt that Americans are tired of the same old Caribbean ports, wish to see something different, and are more willing to fly to and sail overseas.

It's a simple business choice, place more supply (cabins) where the demand for them is.

electricon, well that makes sense now since that is what I am seeing with the other cruiselines heading over to Europe now. Thanks for explaining why this is happening.

I'm still exploring this side and not ready to venture to Europe yet.

I'm doing the Dawn to Bermuda next year.I think 3 days parked should be real nice for a change.I do agree the market is Definatly getting strange.This is the reason we switched from RCCL(out of nj)to the Dawn this year.There was literally nothing new to see on Rccl Explorer.We had done it 3 times and i'm sure by next year the same will happen with Ncl.We will also be looking at the Crown Princess.

Not if it's to Bermuda! :)

We did a Port Canaveral and Bahamas cruise one summer. JUST TOO HOT!! And the water in the pools were to warm as well.

Used to enjoy Robert Moses till it washed away!

Not if it's to Bermuda! :)

We did a Port Canaveral and Bahamas cruise one summer. JUST TOO HOT!! And the water in the pools were to warm as well.

Used to enjoy Robert Moses till it washed away!

Us too, Pete. It was way to hot. Ended up trading our Kennedy Space Center plans for a relaxing shipboard day in uncrowded pools. (Cranky kids v. happy kids.)

Don't know why, but out of 35 cruises I have never been on a NCL ship.

Didn't plan it that way, guess it never looked right to me. My husband would love the casual no dressing up part of it.

I don't really care for the hull art, I think it's tacky but wouldn't keep me from cruising with them. Would be nice if I could win a cruise to try it out. :D

The Spirit is excellent- seriously. I have no qualms about the shipboard experience- it's just that I would love to try something else.

I am also not wild about a Canada/New England itinerary. Lobster Museum? Are you kidding me?

I do not understand your choice of words Mikey. Don't you have to be with something a long time in order to defect from it? I was prepared to read a post on a major mistake by NCL that caused a long time repeat passenger to never sail with them again...I was left scratching my head thinking huh?

I just came back from a Princess cruise and their anytime dining is similar to freestyle...but you do have to dress up in the dining room. I was seated with a couple of guys who were sent back to their cabins to put suit jackets on before being allowed in the dining room. It could have been that ship, that formal night, that week, but I was there to see it.

Happy cruising!

Coka

I'm doing the Dawn to Bermuda next year.I think 3 days parked should be real nice for a change.I do agree the market is Definatly getting strange.This is the reason we switched from RCCL(out of nj)to the Dawn this year.There was literally nothing new to see on Rccl Explorer.We had done it 3 times and i'm sure by next year the same will happen with Ncl.We will also be looking at the Crown Princess.

That one does sound different and interesting. I'll have to check into that. I also have seen that one has a movie theater and a self-serve laundry which seems to be unusual for a NCL ship to have both.

You do realize the Crown Princess is moving to San Juan and the Caribbean Princess will be moving to New York next year? Both of course go to the Caribbean but I guess Princess thinks more folks from New York want to go to the Caribbean than down south or perhaps it is due to less risk of hurricanes so no Princess ships for a good number of months out of Fort Lauderdale next year which really has some loyal Caribbean Princess cruisers upset and looking at other lines.

Archived