Surprise Cruise Question

I am taking my DW to the Eastern Caribbean on Radiance in January (5th)for our 20th Anniversary. She knows that we are going on a cruise, but she doesn't know what ship we are going on and has no idea where we are cruising to. Her Birthday is the beginning of Oct. and I was thinking of giving her all of the details on that day. Am I giving her enough time for whatever she needs to do to prepar for the trip?

I am taking my DW to the Eastern Caribbean on Radiance in January (5th)for our 20th Anniversary. She knows that we are going on a cruise, but she doesn't know what ship we are going on and has no idea where we are cruising to. Her Birthday is the beginning of Oct. and I was thinking of giving her all of the details on that day. Am I giving her enough time for whatever she needs to do to prepar for the trip?

I think so! Long enough to enjoy all the dreaming, shopping, planning---but not so long it is torture waiting (well, maybe).

You are giving her three months notice and wonder if that is enough time?

Are you serious???????

Are you serious???????

Guys can just pack and go in a heartbeat. I think most women like to have time to do whatever shopping and planning they need. I don't want her stressing about being able to find the right dress or swimsuit.

Guys can just pack and go in a heartbeat. I think most women like to have time to do whatever shopping and planning they need. I don't want her stressing about being able to find the right dress or swimsuit.

YES, good thinking! Not to mention researching the ports, ship etc. I think cruises are a lot like weddings: the bride has been planning it since kindergarten. The groom does what he's told, and shows up on time. :D Of course not all women are like that, but you've been with this woman for 20 years . . . if you suspect that she will want time to prepare, chances are you're dead on!

And I agree, three months is just about perfect. :)

Geez, if my dh was giving me a cruise, I would be able to go in 2 days. She'll have plenty of time, trust me, we can shop really fast when we have to . Have a great cruise.

Geez, if my dh was giving me a cruise, I would be able to go in 2 days. She'll have plenty of time, trust me, we can shop really fast when we have to . Have a great cruise.

Yep! I pack the night before I leave.

Are you serious???????

I thought the EXACT same thing when I read it, but then I read it to my husband and he said, "That's a good question! He wants to make sure he's giving his wife enough time." :eek: So, apparently he's being the thoughtful husband :) by giving her a 3-month heads up. Ooooor, he could be torturing her by making her wait 3 months! LOL Depends on how ya look at it I guess.

My trojie friend,

You ask the wrong questions...

Three months is clearly enough time...

You live in Glendora...

It must take her maybe a half an hour or less, depending on time of day, make it to the mall in Arcadia...Let's see, three months minus one-hour round trip...Hmmmmm...that leaves only around 2 months 29 days and 23 hours to max out those credit cards...

The real question is what kind of credit limits do you carry?

Next time (25th?), here's some advice:

Only tell her to pack a suitcase with "x" number of days worth of clothes, warm weather and maybe a nice outfit or two to "go out" in...

Hire a limo to pick you up and take you to the airport and one to pick you up from there and take you to the ship...

She'll figure it out when she sees the ship...and she likely won't care where it's going...(She trusts you, doesn't she?)...

Once you've blown the cover and she already knows this one's a cruise, the only real surprise ploy you can pull is to upgrade to a Suite...

Of course, being a trojie, you've probably already got the 25th booked: A snowy weekend in South Bend, Indiana smuggling a liter of Jack into the stadium... :)

My trojie friend,

You ask the wrong questions...

Three months is clearly enough time...

You live in Glendora...

It must take her maybe a half an hour or less, depending on time of day, make it to the mall in Arcadia...Let's see, three months minus one-hour round trip...Hmmmmm...that leaves only around 2 months 29 days and 23 hours to max out those credit cards...

The real question is what kind of credit limits do you carry?

Next time (25th?), here's some advice:

Only tell her to pack a suitcase with "x" number of days worth of clothes, warm weather and maybe a nice outfit or two to "go out" in...

Hire a limo to pick you up and take you to the airport and one to pick you up from there and take you to the ship...

She'll figure it out when she sees the ship...and she likely won't care where it's going...(She trusts you, doesn't she?)...

Once you've blown the cover and she already knows this one's a cruise, the only real surprise ploy you can pull is to upgrade to a Suite...

Of course, being a trojie, you've probably already got the 25th booked: A snowy weekend in South Bend, Indiana smuggling a liter of Jack into the stadium... :)

Hi Bruin Steve!

I wish it was that easy. I do like your style though. I have 3 daughters and my middle one is getting ready for Prom. Based on how long it took my DW along with the help of my other daughters to find a dress and all of the accessories, I think it will take a little longer than a couple of hours at Santa Anita Mall,lol.

I have always wanted to plan a trip that is a total surprise to my DW, but knowing her personality, she would much rather have time to prepare. She would stress too much wondering where I was taking her.

South Bend might be doable by then. I should have 2 daughters out of college and the last one starting. First things first. Win the National Championship in 2008.

you could plan to renew your vows on the ship. I would love it if my DH would do that for me as an extra surprise, especially if I already know about the cruise. and if you need guests to attend the renewal of vows, I'll go! DH and I will be on Radiance on Jan 5 2008. And maybe it will give my Dh ideas for the future. :p

you could plan to renew your vows on the ship. I would love it if my DH would do that for me as an extra surprise, especially if I already know about the cruise. and if you need guests to attend the renewal of vows, I'll go! DH and I will be on Radiance on Jan 5 2008. And maybe it will give my Dh ideas for the future. :p

Great idea! You are cordially invited.:D I'll have to do some research into it. I have been spending my time researching excursions that we would both enjoy. As well as reading all of the good advice from CC.

Well, some people seem to think it's a silly question, but I'm not so sure. My wife is a big-time planner and she would stress out about getting ready for a cruise at the last minute. I think three months is plenty of time, though, considering you said she already knows you're going on a cruise. The only thing is, you may give her a heads up that it's a warm weather cruise, in case she needs to do a little shopping for shorts/swimsuit/etc., while that kind of stuff is still available in the stores. (But maybe that kind of clothing is available year round in LA area.)

Dear SCer:

3 months is fine BUT more importantly, isn't 1/5 awfully close to the NCAA football national championship game? Are you already writing SC off? Really doesn't matter since this is going to be Cal's year, but I'm surprised you're taking the chance. Happy anniversary.

Go Bears!!!!!

Go Pac 10!

We gave my mom less than 2 weeks notice for her 80th .

She said what she didn't have before she would buy there so just have your visa handy !!

We gave her a large card with photo clues 1 -10 inside .It took her 6 to figure out she was going to Hawaii and the last photo was the cruiseship.

Dear SCer:

3 months is fine BUT more importantly, isn't 1/5 awfully close to the NCAA football national championship game? Are you already writing SC off? Really doesn't matter since this is going to be Cal's year, but I'm surprised you're taking the chance. Happy anniversary.

Go Bears!!!!!

Go Pac 10!

Ha ha! I'm well aware of the NC game on January 8th. I plan on watching it at the Sports Bar on the ship. What better way to watch the game other than being there in person. Best of luck to Cal, but you are breaking in a new RB. Based on who the Trojans have coming back, they should be in good postion to run the table. Now back to the subject at hand. CRUISING! :D

Yes, in spite of my post about the championship game I'm a sentimentalist at heart. We've scheduled our impending nuptials for Sat, 10/6. A BYE in the Cal schedule. We've got season tix, but more importatly the kids (cal alum) might attend, lol.

As long as she already has a passport, I think 3 months is plenty of time. She can do A LOT of planning, researching and shopping in that time, plus she won't have the agony of waiting 8 months for it to finally get here. Nice work!!

3 months is plenty of time .i gave my wife about 20 mins notice on our anniversary

she was stood by serenade in san juan thinking we were staying in san juan she finally clicked when she asked what the name of our hotel was and i told her it was the serenade

just told her she needed to pack clothes for our 3 night stay in new york plus plenty of summer clothes as we were going to caribbean for 7 days she didn`t know where just told her she needed some clothes for formal dining at some of the restaurants

Well, neither one of you California people need to worry about the silly national championship game, because my alma mater is going to win this year - BOOMER SOONER--Go OU! :)

Well, neither one of you California people need to worry about the silly national championship game, because my alma mater is going to win this year - BOOMER SOONER--Go OU! :)

Expect the same outcome as last time if OU plays the USC again. :)

Archived