Noordam Vista Dining Room Menus Posted

SakeDad

Sail, that is exactly what I have thinking. that and didn't we read about how they were making a big deal about all the Wild Alaskan Fresh fish they were serving:confused:

:( If you find it, please let me know.

I always loved knowing it didn't matter if they had prime rib and occo bucco and all those things I don't eat because I knew I could always order the salmon.....which I love and never tire of.

Now I haven't a clue how I am going to eat in the dining room.

As it is, I usually only had an entree, vegetable and coffee. I rarely order soup or appetizer. Guess I'll be having coffee and a whole wheat roll for dinner. Maybe a side of broccoli. :(

These menus are very different from what we had on our recent Panama Canal cruise. I wonder if this is a permanent change or just for the Alaska cruise season. I would probably still order an appetizer plus soup or salad but it does seem as though you are being encouraged to order less. The Greenhouse Spa selections I guess are in place of the "light cuisine" designations that used to be listed.

St. Louis Sal

Something Brand new I have never seen before is the Greenhouse Spa Cuisine. Has anyone else heard of this before. Do they list what the calories or fat grams are???

No counts are given.

Actually, the entire menu seemed lighter and fresher than on previous HAL cruises. DH had fish every night and loved every morsel.

I just finished reading all the menus to Tom and we decided there really was a lot of change. What is the deal with an item every night in the Starters section that can be ordered as a main entree, then a salad in the Main Entree section:confused: I thought some of the salads in the Main Entree section sounded really good but not something I would have for Evening Dinner more like something I would eat for a light lunch.

I will be interested if anything comes out about the new GreenHouse Spa Cuisine.

I know I'm in the small minority but I think those offerings are in response to comments such as I make here from time to time. I look for light, low fat, low calorie whether on vacation or home. It isn't I'm afraid of the hips getting a bit bigger, it is because that is how I like to eat. It's what I enjoy. While there may not be many of us, I think they are trying to include something that has been lacking on the menus. I'm sure there will still be plenty of heavy food that most people want and that is fine..... I think it great there will be something new for me (and those like me) to choose from.

I've carped here often enough how I want light dinners. Maybe others have written enough comments on the sheets that Rudi Sodamin decided to offer us a choice.

I just finished reading all the menus to Tom and we decided there really was a lot of change. What is the deal with an item every night in the Starters section that can be ordered as a main entree, then a salad in the Main Entree section:confused: I thought some of the salads in the Main Entree section sounded really good but not something I would have for Evening Dinner more like something I would eat for a light lunch.

I will be interested if anything comes out about the new GreenHouse Spa Cuisine.

I liked that the pastas were served as an appetizer in addition to the full dinner portion. After soup and salad, I was able to clean my entree plate and not leave half, to waste. And if I wanted more, all I had to do was order the dinner size serving.

I saw many folk making a meal out of the larger portion specialty salads.

It leaves more room for dessert. :)

Where??? It looks the same to me! LOL

Well maybe the answer is because we have never been on the Noordam:confused: but I will say that my most recent cruises on the Oosterdam and the Zaandam did not have items in the Starters section that could be served as an Entree, there were no salads that could be whole Entrees and I have never seen the title of Greenhouse Spa Cuisine before nor the entrees they represent.

I am not complaining I am just stating that I do find it to be different. In the three even menus posted only one had salmon listed. I am hoping Nathan is able to post the rest of the menus.

It surprises me for Alaska menu to not have much more salmon. Maybe for other itineraries there might be less, but wouldn't expect that for Alaska itineraries.

Me too Sail, in our two previous Alaskan cruises there was always salmon offered every night. Last year was great, the salmon was so fresh and each night was prepared a different way.

I also like the idea of offering the large dinner type salads but to me it would seem better fitted for the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera rather than cold Alaska.

I've carped here often enough how I want light dinners. Maybe others have written enough comments on the sheets that Rudi Sodamin decided to offer us a choice.

Like most cruisers I eat all day long. By the time dinner rolls around I have well exceeded calorie, carb and fat quotas for the day and probably more like a week :) The light dinners are a refreshing change. And by 8-9:00 PM, quality wins out over quantity. It felt good to not be uncomfortably full, after dinner.

So I am happy HAL listened to you.

I liked that the pastas were served as an appetizer in addition to the full dinner portion. After soup and salad, I was able to clean my entree plate and not leave half, to waste. And if I wanted more, all I had to do was order the dinner size serving.

I saw many folk making a meal out of the larger portion specialty salads.

It leaves more room for dessert. :)

hammy, so are you saying that the pasta as an appetizer was just a small plate then if you wanted it has an entree it was a larger serving?

hammy, so are you saying that the pasta as an appetizer was just a small plate then if you wanted it has an entree it was a larger serving?

Yeah- small and large servings. The diner chooses when and how much he/she wants to eat. Same for some of the salads too. I think it a cool concept.

Yeah- small and large servings. The diner chooses when and how much he/she wants to eat. Same for some of the salads too. I think it a cool concept.

:) So you mean that I could also order a small version of the Sante fe Salad and have that as my appetizer.

157112952-L.jpg

I think these menus sound pretty darn great; and I do notice that there is Caesar Salad and Grilled Chicken Breast available as an alternative, down at the bottom of the menu posted above. Some of the menus Sake Dad posted may have been inadvertently cut off at the bottom.

A very big "thank you" Sake Dad for scanning and posting the menus!

Karin

One of those salads might be great with a bowl of soup after a day of margaritas and mexican food of after lunch at the Pinnacle Lisa!!:D

I didn't see the dutch night and I was going to try it for my first time. darn :mad: I have been reading that they have a big deck salmon bake and also after Sitka a King crab feast on deck. Sakedad did yall have this? well at least they still have parmesean chicken.:)

I didn't see the dutch night and I was going to try it for my first time. darn :mad: I have been reading that they have a big deck salmon bake and also after Sitka a King crab feast on deck. Sakedad did yall have this? well at least they still have parmesean chicken.:)

We ate in the Vista every night but one. I don't recall a Dutch night (though they did do a Dutch Tea one day) or any Salmon Bake or CrabFest. I will look over my daily sheets when I get home but that won't be until July 2nd...I will scan all of them then as well. I was able to bring my pics on the rad to edit and post but not my paper work. Some of the menus may have been cut off and I know I don't have ones for a couple of nights.

I ordered one from each category when not very hungry but ordered app, soup, salad, entree AND special veggie dish in addition to dessert when hungry. Mom & I split the veggie dish or an additional app like brie a couple of times too. There was never a problem ordering as much or as little as you desired. The portions were small enough not to make you feel like a stuffed whale:p but small enough to have a few if you wanted them.

Does it say anywhere on the menus that you can order a starter (such as the pasta starter) as a larger portion for an entree or the entree salad as a starter? If so I don't see it. Or do they just tell you that.

It sounds like that would be a lot more work in the kitchen to serve starters and entrees in 2 different sizes.

At first I was becoming unhappy about the limited menu choices I would enjoy but now that it is being explained more fully, I can see it's what I've been asking for. I didn't understand about the dinner salads.... that's wonderful.

We live in cold New England and often when we go to casual restaurants in the middle of winter, grilled shrimp or chicken on a salad is what I order. I think Rudi Sodamin may be doing what I've been hoping for. Give me a whole wheat roll, hold the butter, and I'm happy.

I still see plenty of beef and osso bucco and cheese and sauces on the menus so it's something for everyone!

Just a comment. Those Spring Roll appetizers are really yummy. It seems to me you can oder a small dinner size portion of any entree because I've seen people order one full entree and a small serving of another.

If you want to make your dinner all appetizers, you can do that too and maybe have soup and or a salad and then two appetizers or two of one appetizer.

I also think if you want salmon, you can ask the night before if it will be on the menu (our waiter on the Noordam always gave us the next day's menu to look over while waiting for dessert to be served, even though we never asked to see it ) and you can order it if it's not on the menu.

I don't know quite how this works when sitting with more than two people or when you don't have the same table and server every night.

I also like the idea of a lighter choice on the menu at night. When we left on our first cruise on HAL, we had to board the ship at 8am, and there were people from the cruise before hanging out in the Lido since at that time HAL didn't let you stay in your cabin. They were talking about how they had gained at least 10 lbs according to the ship's scale and I was determined that wouldn't happen to me. I try to be extra good at breakfast and lunch, but it's harder at night.

Archived