Is There a Way To Determine If a Group Is Booked On Your Cruise

Host Walt

Several weeks ago I participated in a thread on this subject and set up a database including all groups I knew about at that time. I added groups mentioned in that thread and now have added groups mentioned in the two most recent threads. It is located at www.wa70.com/hdisplay.php. I will add any groups emailed to me, and any I happen to find. I will also add any other common HAL info anyone feels is would be appropriate.

Rich

Philadelphia Eagles Fan Cruise - Eurodam March 21 - 28, 2009

Philadelphia Eagles Fan Cruise - Eurodam March 21 - 28, 2009

This group has been added - thanks for your help.

I wish there was a great link (groups) like this for other cruise lines

Unfortunately like cruisecal and porttime found out this is time consuming. If I were to get enough input from others in a reasonably formated message I could add other lines. However, I only sail HAL so that is all I post.

Rich

Rich, Have trying to email you at wa70.com w/o success. What am I missing? Lee

I just sent an email to that account from another account and received it. I am also receiving other email there. Please try again.

Rich

Rich, I tried two more times and this is what I get:

The following problems occurred while processing your request:

wa70.com - This is not a known member.

Your mail has not been sent. Please correct the problems listed and try again.

Might it be because there's no "@" in the email address? Sorry, but I'm pc challenged and have never experienced this type of problem before.:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I saw that there is an "unknown" large group (700) booked on the Veendam 12/14/08. I don't know if this is the "large" group, but I found that there is a group of 7th Day Adventist young adults (18 - 35) booked on this cruise. It's called "Cruise with a Mission". Sounds like they have some missionary type work planned in several of the ports.

From their website:

"What is Cruise with a Mission?

Cruise with a Mission is a unique spiritual retreat, social gathering, and service opportunity for young adults. The goals are that our young adults, ages 18 to 35, will renew their spiritual journeys, discover meaningful community, and explore the joy of service. Many young adults are disengaged from God and authentic community. Our hope is that Cruise with a Mission will be a catalyst for our somewhat disengaged generation to cultivate a transforming lifestyle of connecting with God, building authentic Christian community, and engaging in service."

(Moderators - not sure if this is allowed, so please delete if not):

http://www.cruisewithamission.org

MissMuffin

(Just ending a cruise dry spell of over 6 years. Life happens... Woo-hoo, back in the saddle again on the Veendam 12/14!) :D :D :D

Hey - found another group on this cruise. It's a Mormon group "Join Joseph F. McConkie for 'Book of Mormon Lands Come Alive". I found it on a TA site, so I don't think I can mention that here.

7th Day Adventists and Mormons - guess I'd better behave myself. On the other hand - probably no crowding at the bar!

MissMuffin

Hi Rich and all,

Not to muddy the waters, but.... I just created a wiki to try to address this Group Cruise thing.

http://groupcruises.wetpaint.com/

ANYONE can post to it, which may not be a good thing in that can be demolished in a heartbeat. And I didn't see a way to sort it. But you can use your browser search for your ship, then look for dates.

Anyway - thoughts?

I'd like to take a moment to give you an alternate perspective on the group bookings. It does seem that many of you are "life" cruisers, being that you cruise all the time like it's your home. I'm just an ordinary person in my late 40's going on a great vacation to the Eastern Carribean. I have 2 children, 5 grandchildren, I work hard, I pay the bills, I attend church, I'm an average American and I just happen to also be a lesbian. We're just your average, boring couple only we happen to be 2 women.

First, if we went on a non-group cruise, it might be difficult to fully enjoy ourselves and feel comfortable. My partner leans towards masculine and wears a tuxedo during formal occassions. What if we wanted to dance together, would we get stares and glances? If we were seated at your table during the cruise would you be offended or accepting?

We booked with a LGBT cruise group. They have lots of fun activities for people like us. If you wanted to come to our events I'm sure you could pay a surcharge and join the fun. We welcome all!! I would caution you though that they evening dancing are men dancing with men and women dancing with women? I'm not sure everyone would like this, thus the private function. Being part of this group allows me to have a great vacation in an environment in which I am comfortable.

There are some folks in my community who are more flamboyant than others. Isn't it great that we live in America where we can all be free to be who we are? Honestly, as humans we are all more alike than different. We all need our families, love, food, God, happiness and acceptance. Our differences make life interesting. We may not understand the differences, but knowledge brings tolerance and that's great for everyone.

I understand that you want the "entire" ship for yourselves at all times, but let's be reasonable. Without our groups and other groups, think of the revenue HAL and other cruise lines would miss.

By the way, I'm a quilter too and incidentally I will soon be booking a quilting cruise too. Again, it just allows me to hang out with people who share similar interests. Again, honestly, do you want to come hang out with a bunch of 50 year old women who are sewing and laughing? What is wrong with us having a private event where we could hang out with just ourselves for a few hours?

I thank HAL for allowing me and my partner to enjoy a relaxing vacation. I'm sure that even with our areas used for private parties everyone can still find plenty to do. Remember, the cruise ship is not my home, it is a little piece of heaven I get to have for 8 short days before I return to my job and responsibilities.

I'm departing 10/25 on the Eurodam and I hope we have a chance to bump into each other and chat.

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to know what is meant by "Unverified Posible Charter" for the Nov 29 Eurodam cruise. It's been lisyed that way for months.

In May Caribbean Boy posted that the Nov 29 Eurodam cruise would be chartered. There was discussion at that time about how to handle it. Putting Unverified Possible charter was the solution we came up with. Sorry, I never thought to remove it.

Rich

Thanks Rich

Last May I wasn't checking that area. We booked back-to-back cruise (11/22 and 11/29) and I was disturbed when we discovered it in July. Our TA would constantly call HAL once a month checking on this -- sometimes she would get a "yes" answer that the 11/29 cruise was a charter and sometimes a "no" -- she even called the charter section of HAL in Seattle.

Even last May it would have been disastious for us -- we had long since booked First Class Plane tickets.

And there is no way we would have considered going through all the hassle of flying (no direct flights anymore) for just a 7 day cruise.

Thanks for the update.

• 3 weeks later...

On our recent Eurodam cruise, I asked the future cruise consultants how to find out whether there was a large group on a future cruise. I had been disturbed by the posts about the National Review group on an earlier cruise and had personal experience with being surprised by a religious organization on a cruise several years ago (taking up more then 50% of the cabins). The consultant said we could call the group services desk at HAL and they are required to tell us if any large groups will be aboard.

Edited by Benita

The consultant said we could call the group services desk at HAL and they are required to tell us if any large groups will be aboard.

Did she say how many people it takes for HAL to consider the group "large"?

Frankly it was disappointing.

The servers were disinterested at best.

The first formal night the server knocked over a glass of water all over Janet.

It was like he didn't know what to do. He barely got napkins to wipe up the spill. He didn't offer to take care of anything. He got the napkins after I made some comments but went about his business. Finally I asked another server to ask the Manager to come see us. The manager came over and I told him about the situation and he was very apologetic and offered dry cleaning service which we used for her dress.

Other times with AYWD we were seated over in a corner next to a table. We couldn't get out because of the configuration. The night of the Copper Canyon trip we showed up for dining and we were seated upstairs and had a much better experience. We sat by the string quartet at a table for two. It was much better service. We spoke with another couple that had their dining room changed to the fixed time. They said they had much better service. We tried the AYWD for lobster night and it was a wonderful experience. I was salting my lobster and the top came off. I said oh no!

The server noticed right away and within 5 minutes he brought an entirely new meal. Which by the way was surf and turf. I ordered two lobsters and they bring out two complete dinners and add the meats from both plates to one plate. So, other then the ruined lobster I had four meals brought to the table. I ended up with three lobsters and four tenderloin medallions.

I shared with my wife. All in all. I prefer fixed seating.

• 3 weeks later...